Preaching to the Choir

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Preaching to the Choir
Lifecrafter
Member # 6700
Profile Homepage #0
Newly Opened...

This just strikes me as wrong.

I mean, yes, I do believe in a literal 7-day creation, and yes, I am glad to see that some evangelical Christians are actually getting up with the times in terms of multimedia and experiencial presentation.
But really, what are you going to accomplish with this aside from indoctrination of children and ignorant adults? Yes, I'm sure that there will be cited scientific facts. Of course; this is sponsored by Answers in Genesis, by definition it must have facts that anyone who doesn't already agree with them will simply find irrelevant (Last I heard, AiG was still pushing the C14 issue).
But what about a standing in the scientific community? What about leading by example? A venture such as this not only throws itself in front of senseless persecution, but invites said persecution without an ounce of defense.
Without an ounce of defense.

Or at least, that's what AiG's track record shows.

Me, I'd stick with a museum that portrays what we do historically know, and then devote a handfull of halls to various theories of cosmogenesis, extinction, eras, whatever; presenting facts, arguments, and counter-arguments for each. Such is the nature of science: to observe, not to argue politics.

Hmm. I suddenly feel like a hypocrite. Oh well.

I dunno. If this is any sort of victory, I am quite sure that it is shallow and will not last.

--------------------
The Silent Assassin has submitted a proposal for a microwave-powered light-based cutting device.
I don't quite understand what the two hundred pounds of mangoes has to do with it, but everything else looks solid.

--------------------
-Lenar Labs
What's Your Destiny?

Ushmushmeifa: Lenar's power is almighty and ineffable.

All hail lord Noric, god of... well, something important, I'm sure.
Apprentice
Member # 8596
Profile #1
I wonder if it'll have Raptor Jesus.

--------------------
ni~pah
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #2
quote:
Originally written by Lenar:

I'd stick with a museum that portrays what we do historically know
Apparently people have different concepts of what this is.

Of all the forms of Biblical literalism, they seem to have chosen the most extreme. Isn't it more efficient, for such people defending such beliefs, to cast off science entirely and say, "We believe what we believe because it seems true to us and because we want to believe it," than to try to defend it in this way?

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #3
Ned Flanders from The Simpsons has someplace to take his kids.

Seriously, this allows them to "prove" to others that they are right even if they have to twist the facts. It's the next step from the books.
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #4
...co-sponsored by the Association for Scientologist Science. :P

But seriously, I don't quite get it. I mean, I'm almost compelled to visit just to figure out what the heck they're doing. For instance, I find it incredibly funny that there's a giant dinosaur on their home page, and I can't help but wonder how on earth they justify that.

Perhaps I need a better explanation of what's going on, because it's just funny as is.

--------------------
Thuryl: "Runescape: for people who are too stupid to save their games."

Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.
Guardian
Member # 2080
Profile #5
I hate to say it, but trying to base anything scientific on a religious book written by man is one of the least intelligent things people have done in history. That would be like constructing a building using Dr Seuss's buildings as an example. You can do it, but it will be hard and not work very well.

--------------------
Did you know: When asked about his voicing of Unicron, Orson Welles is quoted as saying, "Unicron was the perfect character for me to play. I find it easy to relate to him. We're both the size of a planet and we both can eat said planet."

Did you know: After the Holocaust, Germany decided that it takes at least 57 murders before they'll even consider prosecution and guys like Ted Bundy would known as 'Weekend Warriors'

Did you know: Most facts on the internet are made up with little or no thought to decency or good sense. And that most of the people who make them die a lonely pathetic death.
Shock Trooper
Member # 6666
Profile #6
quote:
Originally written by Randomizer:

Ned Flanders from The Simpsons has someplace to take his kids.
:(
It didn't use to be that way. I still remember a time when Ned was a well-meaning, kind, not-overtly-religious man. Now he's just another preachy republican fundie. I miss the good ole days...

As for the creationist museum, if this would happen anywhere else in the world besides the U.S., I'd be surprised. Now I'm just sad.
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #7
Originally by Ephesos:

quote:
For instance, I find it incredibly funny that there's a giant dinosaur on their home page, and I can't help but wonder how on earth they justify that.
I imagine it's something along the lines of dinosaurs being created along with everything else, surviving the Flood, and then gradually going extinct due to climate change, human activities, and/or other causes.

Dikiyoba.
Guardian
Member # 6670
Profile Homepage #8
By Redstart:
quote:
As for the creationist museum, if this would happen anywhere else in the world besides the U.S., I'd be surprised. Now I'm just sad.
One was finished not too long ago here. It's pretty close to the Royal Tyrell. I didn't read up on it when it appeared in the paper, but the picture of the teddy bear fossil was cool.

--------------------
I put my air conditioner in backwards. It got cold outside. The weatherman on TV was confused. "It was supposed to be hot today."
- Steven Wright
FAQSELF
Member # 3
Profile #9
Interestingly, Answers in Genesis used to include Australian creationists in its number. However, the group split in 2004-2005, with the Australians becoming the "Creation Ministries International" and the US group retaining the Answers in Genesis name. Why did they split? The US group did not like maintaining a webpage called, "Maintaining Creationist Integrity" where they would critique bad arguments made by creationists.

The Americans are the ones building the museum, interestingly enough, and without a "Maintaining Creationist Integrity" webpage...

--------------------
A few cats short of a kitten pot pie...

Radioactive cats have 18 half-lives.
Check out a great source for information on Avernum 2, Nethergate, and Subterra: Zeviz's page.
Finally, there's my Geneforge FAQ, Geneforge 2 FAQ, and
Geneforge 3 FAQ.
Posts: 2831 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
By Committee
Member # 4233
Profile #10
Thank God it's nearer to Cincinnati than Louisville!
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #11
I think it's crazy, but it's not unusual craziness. At least it's family-friendly and apparently tends towards the cute and amusing rather than fire and brimstones.

—Alorael, who doubts it will help indoctrinate anyone who's not already well within the fold. If you don't believe in creationism it's probably still both entertaining and quite possibly technically impressive.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #12
quote:
Originally written by Ephesos:

...co-sponsored by the Association for Scientologist Science. :P
Uh... you're kidding, right? Please...

--------------------
EncyclopaediaArchivesMembersRSS [Topic / Forum] • BlogPolarisNaNoWriMo
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair.
I have a love of woodwind instruments.
Guardian
Member # 2080
Profile #13
But everyone already knows that Yu-gi-oh proved creationism was wrong

Note: Link isn't G-Rated, more like PG-13 for those who care. Or R in some places(like Utah). That should be enough to make me blameless now.

[ Tuesday, May 29, 2007 14:16: Message edited by: Bandit Keith ]

--------------------
Did you know: When asked about his voicing of Unicron, Orson Welles is quoted as saying, "Unicron was the perfect character for me to play. I find it easy to relate to him. We're both the size of a planet and we both can eat said planet."

Did you know: After the Holocaust, Germany decided that it takes at least 57 murders before they'll even consider prosecution and guys like Ted Bundy would known as 'Weekend Warriors'

Did you know: Most facts on the internet are made up with little or no thought to decency or good sense. And that most of the people who make them die a lonely pathetic death.