Pen and Paper Anyone?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Pen and Paper Anyone?
Shaper
Member # 7420
Profile Homepage #25
This flash movie pretty much sums up my thoughts on pen and paper rpgs. Be warned, it might have some... adult content.

--------------------
You lose.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #26
I only watched a third of it and already I want my four minutes back.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Shaper
Member # 7420
Profile Homepage #27
IMAGE(http://blogs.chron.com/whitehouse/archives/APmission.jpg)

[ Wednesday, May 16, 2007 12:18: Message edited by: Emperor Tullegolar ]

--------------------
You lose.
Guardian
Member # 5360
Profile #28
Nalyd would love to with a passion known only to the undead. But there's nobody to play with, and he can't afford anything needed.

--------------------
May the fires of Undeath burn in your soul, and consume it.
Agent
Member # 8030
Profile Homepage #29
Wow! That picture is funny, yet depressing.

--------------------
WWJD?
Apprentice
Member # 2124
Profile Homepage #30
I've played D&D, Shadowrun, White Wolf, Rifts, Star Wars RPG, and Marvel RPG.

So far, my 3 favorites are D&D, White Wolf, and Marvel RPG.

The typical hack-n-slash bores me to tears. But my gaming group is very strange. If one of the members of our group DM/GM/ST's anything, the objective is accomplished scooby-doo style: mission accomplished, and turned completely inside out. It's freakin' awesome!!!

We had a Forgotten Realms mission where the party was supposed to sneak past a drow encampment to safety. Simple enough, yes? Well, the wizard was abducted, the rogue and the retarded half-orc barbarian (me XD) were captured - and subsequently broke out b/c said barbarian was hungry. The whole encampment was flung into utter chaos b/c of the captured wizard, the escapees trying to wrestle with and ride a giant lizard, and the rest of the party tried to attack some confused drow soldiers XD (and my barbarian ended up slapping the rogue with a fish, and was immediately attacked by a kuo-toa). WE ONLY TRIED TO SNEAK PAST A CAMP. lol

I was also in a Mage chronicle where we tried to assist a Euthanatos mage in recapturing a magic mirror from Tremere vampires. What eventually happened? Half the cabal was embraced, one of the PC's was drained dry, half the police in the city swarmed the mansion the PC's were living in while my PC climbed down a trellis topless - being chased by a madman of course - and we burned down the whole mansion. By accident. AND WE ONLY TRIED TO GET A FREAKING MIRROR. lmao!

Even really simple, tried-and-overtried scenarios turn awry. We were supposed to break into a chamber of kobolds and rescue a friend. Somehow, SOMEHOW, we ended up having the kobolds worship as after a mishapped light spell made one of the PC's glow like a god. He threw an orb at the kobold queen to disorient her, and she exploded into a GIANT TREE. WTF, lol
Shaper
Member # 7420
Profile Homepage #31
An interesting note, the first version of that image I posted insulted Bush in the url, the autocensor caught it, and it broke the link thus making the picture not show up. Funny.

--------------------
You lose.
By Committee
Member # 4233
Profile #32
A point-buy system allowing all 15s is broken. A part of the challenge to DMing (and really, it's an art) is balancing the campaign to accommodate what the players have to work with and how they can develop their characters. One of my favorite campaigns featured a character with a 6 Con in a desert setting; how the player dealt with that was half the fun. A good campaign should be very character-driven; otherwise, it's just:

IMAGE(http://blogs.citypages.com/blotter/images/lollipop%2520guild.jpg)

...and you may as well be level and item grinding in Diablo 2.

[ Thursday, May 17, 2007 04:02: Message edited by: Drew ]
Apprentice
Member # 3428
Profile Homepage #33
yeah, I almost always play flaw heavy characters :P It is much more fun than playing guild characters :3 [except in the case of AD&D and the rogue-monk-fighter halfling, go three foot ninja!!!]

In jadeclaw there is a section specifically for benifits and penalties. you get a certain number of points to buy bonuses [including non-stat ones, its an interesting system] have to buy off to at least 0 points in penalties [the recommended point alotments are generous for new players, but peter off for more experienced ones. *its all GM discression though* so its possible to get away with no penalties... but what fun is that?] the penalties are hard-stat penalties, skill penalties, and various social, emotional and psychological problems :P [there is one for phobias :P it comes in differing costs depending on the severity of the phobic reation and the rarity of the source of fear, and its RP mandatory :P *you don't roleplay your phobia the GM has the option to penalize you, and a good DM will bring it up a few times during any game :P *]

--------------------
HIHI!!!! *hugs indescriminantly* take that, FEEL THE LOVE!!!!
Guardian
Member # 2080
Profile #34
quote:
Originally written by Drew:

A point-buy system allowing all 15s is broken. A part of the challenge to DMing (and really, it's an art) is balancing the campaign to accommodate what the players have to work with and how they can develop their characters. One of my favorite campaigns featured a character with a 6 Con in a desert setting; how the player dealt with that was half the fun. A good campaign should be very character-driven
So's regular rolling for some people. A 15's over-rated anyway. I mean hell, it's even odd in a system where that odd score doesn't do you any immediate good. As I've said before, what stats you have should not restrict what you play. What you want to do should. Really horrible stats are a guaranteed choice limiter. Period.

Also, while how you're character with a 6 Con survived in the desert is interesting(and unreasonable for a DM to expect of a player), what's equally interesting is how a character of mine at lv 6 got the crap kicked out of her by a few lv 1 commoners because of her 4 strength, no armor(it was too heavy to carry, let alone wear), and 10 dexterity. That event almost made the whole not being able to carry a house cat while wearing clothing at the same thing seem not quite as bad in comparison.

[ Sunday, May 20, 2007 15:04: Message edited by: Bandit Keith ]

--------------------
"I don't understand a word you just said. Try speaking American. It's the only language I understand."
By Committee
Member # 4233
Profile #35
Kudos for playing a character with a 4 STR; my question then is: what was your character doing directly confronting opponents? Presumably the character was a wizard of some sort. Where was the meat shield?
Guardian
Member # 2080
Profile #36
Sadly, that character was the closest thing the group had to one. I'm not kidding. It was pretty harsh. Sure, I had spell, the character's Con was like a 12, so casting Defensively was pretty much a lost cause. By sheer luck, I did get one Ray of Enfeeblement off before dying a pitiful death.

On a sidenote, I just book rolled some stats for two characters under a new DM, and got more than(not by much) a total of 90 for each column^.

^5 different columns, with DM picking which 2 to use to make the characters with

--------------------
"I don't understand a word you just said. Try speaking American. It's the only language I understand."
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #37
If you want something similar to AD&D, but with a better system to build with, try Hackmaster 4.0 (see Kenzer and Company. They got they license from Wizards of the Coast (now a division of Hasbro) to use AD&D 1st and 2nd editions. So they got an intern to scan all the books and modules in for a starting point. Read
Knights of the Dinner Table at the same site for an idea of what playing is like. They put a lot of fun back into the game.
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #38
quote:
Originally written by Ezrah, Kitty of Wonder.:

yeah, I almost always play flaw heavy characters :P It is much more fun than playing guild characters :3 [except in the case of AD&D and the rogue-monk-fighter halfling, go three foot ninja!!!]

In jadeclaw there is a section specifically for benifits and penalties. you get a certain number of points to buy bonuses [including non-stat ones, its an interesting system] have to buy off to at least 0 points in penalties [the recommended point alotments are generous for new players, but peter off for more experienced ones. *its all GM discression though* so its possible to get away with no penalties... but what fun is that?] the penalties are hard-stat penalties, skill penalties, and various social, emotional and psychological problems :P [there is one for phobias :P it comes in differing costs depending on the severity of the phobic reation and the rarity of the source of fear, and its RP mandatory :P *you don't roleplay your phobia the GM has the option to penalize you, and a good DM will bring it up a few times during any game :P *]

Less of the emoticons, more of the linebreaks. (
:P )

--------------------
Encyclopaedia ErmarianaForum ArchivesForum StatisticsRSS [Topic / Forum]
My BlogPolarisI eat novels for breakfast.
Polaris is dead, long live Polaris.
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair.
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #39
Up to a point it's fun to play around with character generation systems. What my gang decided we wanted was a mixture of being able to choose your strengths and weaknesses, and having some random element whereby the dice decided for you what your character's aptitudes would be. After playing for years, we wanted a bit of surprise in rolling up a new character; but wanted something playable, too.

So in the traditional AD&D scheme of six scores from 3 to 18, I had people roll two dice for each ability, giving a base score from 2 to 12. They also rolled a separate pool of 12 dice (plus a few more if their scores looked too bad). They then used these 12 'pool' scores to add to or replace the base scores, to make up their final set of six scores from 3 to 18.

This meant that if you got a 12 for your base Strength, you were set up to be a good fighter, since you would only need a single six from your 12-roll pool to end up with 18 Strength. On the other hand if your base Strength rolls were lousy, you could still get an 18 Strength if you had three sixes in your pool. In the first case, you would probably have enough high rolls remaining in your pool to make one or two other abilities end up high, as well as strength; in the second case, you would have less flexibility left to modify your base scores for the other abilities.

This system was nice in that the base rolls gave a bias towards particular builds, but the pool flexibility meant that a promising character would never be fatally weakened by one lousy score in an important ability, because you could generally always fix one lousy base score at the price of leaving a couple of other abilities mediocre instead of outstanding. If you really wanted to play a particular class, there was generally enough flexibility to ensure that you could; but you might end up playing a somewhat unusual build of that class -- a mage with only 17 Intelligence but unusually high Wisdom, for instance. And you could fairly often swing the high minimum scores for a Monk or a Paladin if you wanted, but generally only barely, so you didn't simply outshine all the other characters. This was all cool.

It was interesting that a base score of 7 had quite different possibilities if it was a 1 and a 6 or if it was a 3 and a 4. I actually broke down each of the six abilities into three sub-abilities with scores from 1 to 6. In principle a character with 11 Intelligence might benefit occasionally from the fact that their average score included a 6 in Memory, but in practice this ended up mainly being just a guide for roleplaying.

--------------------
We're not doing cool. We're doing pretty.
Posts: 3335 | Registered: Thursday, September 4 2003 07:00
Guardian
Member # 2080
Profile #40
Not a bad sounding set up. Somewhat confusing at a glance, but still interesting.

--------------------

Pages