B Is For Bye Bye

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: B Is For Bye Bye
Shaper
Member # 6292
Profile #0
Viriginia Tech is bad news enough for one day, you'd think. Meanwhile, according to possible evidence found investigating the baffling and disturbing disappearance of much of the world's honeybees, we may all be doomed.

-S-

--------------------
A4 Item Locations A4 Singleton G4 Items List G4 Forging List The Insidious Infiltrator
Law Bringer
Member # 6489
Profile Homepage #1
Wow

--------------------
"You're drinking liquor because you're thirsty? How nasty is your freaking water?" —Lazarus
Spiderweb Chat Room
Avernum RPSummariesOoCRoster
Shadow Vale - My site, home of the Spiderweb Chat Database, BoA Scenario Database, & the A1 Quest List, among other things.
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #2
I've heard of the radiation causing changes in the brain but not anything about the bees.

As if the fact that America uses up 10 calories to produce 1 calorie of food (I'm pretty sure that's the right number) isn't bad enough.

Dikiyoba.
Veteran*
Member # 5
Profile #3
Okay...
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #4
Not bothering to read, I'll assume that article is chronicling the disappearance of many of the pollinators in the world. One could easily surmise that this will mean fewer fruits and vegetables, trees and shrubs, and eventually the demise of vegans.

But don't worry. We Americans have seen this coming for about a decade now and have a workforce in place to cover this loss. Anyone that has been downsized by the offshoring of medium wage jobs can bee assured that they will have new work soon in the sex industry.

--------------------
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:

Well, I'm at least pretty sure that Salmon is losing.

Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #5
quote:
Originally written by Spent Salmon:

Not bothering to read, I'll assume that article is chronicling the disappearance of many of the pollinators in the world. One could easily surmise that this will mean fewer fruits and vegetables, trees and shrubs, and eventually the demise of vegans.
You're trolling, right?

--------------------
Encyclopaedia ErmarianaForum ArchivesForum StatisticsRSS [Topic / Forum]
My BlogPolarisI eat novels for breakfast.
Polaris is dead, long live Polaris.
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair.
Agent
Member # 3364
Profile Homepage #6
quote:

Not bothering to read, I'll assume that article is chronicling the disappearance of many of the pollinators in the world.
And that mobile phones may be to blame. I can't quite see the connection, though, when mobile phones have been around for decades, and this CCD has just shown up, at least massively, this year. Unless all the beekeepers got together at a convention last year and decided to use their cellphones while they worked.

'Spreading' indicates that it's something that can be caught and passed on, if the article used that term correctly.

Whatever it is, the bees know something we don't, and if they're really smart, they're doing it on purpose to trim down the human population and set the stage for their eventual world domination.

--------------------
"Even the worst Terror from Hell can be transformed to a testimony from Heaven!" - Rev. David Wood 6\23\05

"Do all the good you can, by all the means you can, in all the ways you can, in all the places you can, at all the times you can, to all the people you can, as long as you ever can." - John Wesley
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #7
quote:
Originally written by Dr. Johann Georg Faust:

quote:

You're trolling, right?

One can assume that humor in the face of world-wide disaster is lost on you.

--------------------
quote:

Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #8
Was that supposed to be humor? Humor is normally, you know, funny.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #9
Trollin' Salmon!

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00
Lifecrafter
Member # 7557
Profile #10
*waves a thahd bone in the air*

Will you kindly explain what the hell you are going on about???

--------------------
The force is with ME! I'm not so sure about YOU!

Never trust a man who can say "Pickles" with a manic gleam in his eye.
Guardian
Member # 2080
Profile #11
While I seriously doubt that the countless signals in the air are healthy for us, I don't really think they're enough to cause global famine(that's what global warming is for). Personally, I blame farmers. Seriously, how in the hell do you lose bees?

Anyway. When will people learn that correlation & connection aren't the same thing and that you can't just measure 1 singular thing in an experiment. When you do that there's just not enough data to draw accurate conclusions.

--------------------
"I don't understand a word you just said. Try speaking American. It's the only language I understand."
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #12
Originally by LF:

quote:
Personally, I blame farmers. Seriously, how in the hell do you lose bees?
Well then, become a bee-keeper and show us how it's supposed to be done.

Dikiyoba.

[ Tuesday, April 17, 2007 07:42: Message edited by: DikiPDN ]
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #13
quote:
Originally written by Jewels:

quote:

Not bothering to read, I'll assume that article is chronicling the disappearance of many of the pollinators in the world.
And that mobile phones may be to blame. I can't quite see the connection, though, when mobile phones have been around for decades, and this CCD has just shown up, at least massively, this year. Unless all the beekeepers got together at a convention last year and decided to use their cellphones while they worked.

'Spreading' indicates that it's something that can be caught and passed on, if the article used that term correctly.

Whatever it is, the bees know something we don't, and if they're really smart, they're doing it on purpose to trim down the human population and set the stage for their eventual world domination.

Then I, for one, welcome our newly extinct bee overlords.

Oh dear gods, I read too much Slashdot.

--------------------
Encyclopaedia ErmarianaForum ArchivesForum StatisticsRSS [Topic / Forum]
My BlogPolarisI eat novels for breakfast.
Polaris is dead, long live Polaris.
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair.
Guardian
Member # 2080
Profile #14
quote:
Originally written by DikiPDN:

Well then, become a bee-keeper and show us how it's supposed to be done.

Dikiyoba.

Nah. That's okay. I prefer to take a management stand on issues

--------------------
"I don't understand a word you just said. Try speaking American. It's the only language I understand."
Shaper
Member # 7420
Profile Homepage #15
I'm confident that if for some reason pollen plants all died out (not going to happen) we would still be able to turn to the ocean for food. It's going to take a lot more than this to whipe out humanity.

--------------------
You lose.
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #16
quote:
Originally written by LF:

While I seriously doubt that the countless signals in the air are healthy for us, I don't really think they're enough to cause global famine(that's what global warming is for). Personally, I blame farmers. Seriously, how in the hell do you lose bees?

Anyway. When will people learn that correlation & connection aren't the same thing and that you can't just measure 1 singular thing in an experiment. When you do that there's just not enough data to draw accurate conclusions.

Interesting outlook. I wish you well.

--------------------
quote:

Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #17
quote:
Originally written by Emperor Tullegolar:

I'm confident that if for some reason pollen plants all died out (not going to happen) we would still be able to turn to the ocean for food. It's going to take a lot more than this to whipe out humanity.
If all bee-pollinated plants went extinct, there would be a rather messy ecological fallout. I doubt humanity would be in any danger of extinction, but mass starvation in some areas is possible. Or maybe not. I really don't know how important bees are for any plants, much less crops.

—Alorael, who really thinks this ought to be an easy hypothesis to test. Surround a beehive with cell phones that constantly call each other, answer, and send signals everywhere. See what happens. Do it as far from population centers and towers as possible.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Agent
Member # 27
Profile #18
quote:
But don't worry. We Americans have seen this coming for about a decade now and have a workforce in place to cover this loss. Anyone that has been downsized by the offshoring of medium wage jobs can bee assured that they will have new work soon in the sex industry.
So am I the only one who laughed at this?

I hate cell phones, they have gone way past the point of practicality. Today, they merely take advantage of the average consumer, who can't help but buy the product because it's shiny, has a lot of useless gadgets, and makes a funny noise when in use. Now, it turns out, that the billions of "LOL's" text messaged each day might actually be destroying our planet. When looking back at what some of our technology has done to the world, we have to wonder, was it worth it? As a counterpoint I should also mention that I'm a loser.
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #19
At least one person...

I'm tempted to borrow a digital movie camera and make a short film. I have a cell phone I hate, and a .357 than make loud noises. I think there is a plot in there somewhere.

--------------------
quote:

Agent
Member # 8030
Profile Homepage #20
The given article wasn't well-defended, and was rather confusing. I found an article on Wikipedia about this, and it gave eight possible explanations.

--------------------
WWJD?
For Carnage, Apply Within
Member # 95
Profile #21
"Collective delusion
Some speculate that the existence of honey bees is actually an instance of collective delusion or mass hysteria, and that CCD occurs when people become increasingly aware of this, erroneously believing that something has happened to the bees[36]."

Hooray for Wikipedia.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: More fun than a kick in the shins!