The U.S. and Iraq

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: The U.S. and Iraq
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #50
While you're at it, read Swift's A Modest Proposal (or at the very least the Wikipedia summary). Eating babies has a long and good literary history. :P

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #51
I used to think that too, about the mango chutney, until I tried a very nice cream sauce. OMG was that good. I've also had luck with our homemade mint jelly.

--------------------
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:

Well, I'm at least pretty sure that Salmon is losing.

Agent
Member # 3364
Profile Homepage #52
quote:
Originally written by Protocols of the Elders of Zion:

Wow, way to give me any incentive to address anything you have to say. You throw a bunch of quotes from the Democrats - who neither I nor any major left-wing critic of the war has ever identified directly with - and then you go on to feign the vapors over being called ignorant. Well, gee, some people would call that charity - I'm not willing to assume you're evil right off the bat, but if you'd like I can jump directly to that from now on.

Jewels, you're a reactionary cretin and I truly do not have time to deal with your nonsense. When I do have the time I might give your rambling pap a once-over to see if I can point out anything that makes you look like even more of a lying buffoon than usual, but I make no promises.

You are so good at blowing smoke! And I bet some people automatically believe your bull just because of how vehemently you say it.

So I guess Hillary is not a major left-wing critic of the war. She's only running for president next term and calling for an immediate pull out. And I also guess that she has never directly identified with herself. Really, I could understand why she would want to but I doubt that it's true.

A simple tldr probably would have saved you some more of that precious time that you don't have to waste on me.

--------------------
"Even the worst Terror from Hell can be transformed to a testimony from Heaven!" - Rev. David Wood 6\23\05

"Do all the good you can, by all the means you can, in all the ways you can, in all the places you can, at all the times you can, to all the people you can, as long as you ever can." - John Wesley
Agent
Member # 8030
Profile Homepage #53
Debates are fun, arguements are annoying.

By Jewels
quote:

So I guess Hillary is not a major left-wing critic of the war. She's only running for president next term and calling for an immediate pull out.
I'm sure Hillary would be just as bad as Bill. For some reason, I doubt that any of these canidates would actually pull out of Iraq right away.

--------------------
WWJD?
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #54
Both Clintons are Democrats. Democrats are left of the Republican right, but the real left, which has no major political party on its side, rejects the Democrats as being too close to center. Alec's in that camp.

—Alorael, who loves a good discussion that ends in refusal to discuss. There's no better way to advance politics.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #55
Somewhere I read this argument about how anyone who wants to change the United States has to work through the American two-party system: If you can't convince a majority of any half the people, how do you think you can convince a majority of them all?

The point is that, apart from the general tendency of Democrats to be leftward from Republicans, both parties are ideological mercenaries, and will gradually swing around to any sufficiently popular platform that they can claim. So proclaiming oneself to be outside the two-party system amounts to proclaiming satisfaction with irrelevancy, or disdain for democracy.

Obviously not all truth is to be found within the two parties. But if you're left of the Democrats, and serious about accomplishing something, then I would think that the thing to do would be to emphasize the voices within the Democratic Party that are swinging your way. Or point out how much of the main Democratic platform is actually consistent with your own views, and is only being warped out of line by a few ill-fitting planks that had better be replaced.

The Democrats aren't this irrelevant party that you're ignoring. They're the party that you are going to take over. Right?

--------------------
We're not doing cool. We're doing pretty.
Posts: 3335 | Registered: Thursday, September 4 2003 07:00
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #56
That's an interesting perspective.

Under that ideology, though, I would expect a sort of fractal system of political parties, with the democrats subdivided into two other parties and each of those subdivided into two more, and so on. Actually, that would be kind of interesting. Binary tree politics. Instead of incumbents we would just have iterative candidates.

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #57
To some extent that does happen, and every party has multiple wings. But past that point, parties exert discipline and mount single official platforms, so that at least those things have a chance of getting done. The trick is to move your set of views, within a party, from minority wing to official policy. That may not be quick or easy, but it has got to be quicker and easier than simply starting from scratch, trying to mobilize the population from outside the two party system.

And if you ever did succeed in building a popular movement from outside, you can bet that one or both of the two parties would steal your platform the moment it started getting popular. So you may as well get inside early.

--------------------
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #58
You know, there are places in the world where multiparty systems more or less work. Hell, they'd even have a voice in America if the American electoral system weren't just about as biased against them as is possible without explicitly setting out to exclude them. FPTP is a horrible system to start with, the electoral college only makes it worse, and giving the people a choice between two options every four years is a poor substitute for democracy.

I've always favoured appointing officials by lot. It's the only way to get a truly representative sample of public opinion.

[ Thursday, March 22, 2007 06:57: Message edited by: Thuryl ]

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Nuke and Pave
Member # 24
Profile Homepage #59
While multi-party systems sound good in theory, in reality the resulting government often ends up even further from average public opinion than under two party system. The problem is that while you still have your major liberal party that gets about 25-35% of votes and your major conservative party that gets 25-35% of votes, neither has enough votes to form the government. So they have to include a lot of small single-issue (special interest) and radical parties into their coalition. So instead of government leaning towards the center, as it does under a two party system, you end up with the government leaning towards the extremes.

As for mainstream parties absorbing popular issues into their platforms, that has happened many times in the past: anti-trust legislature and income tax are the first examples that come to mind. These issues were originally championed by small parties, but were picked up by mainsteam ones after gaining sufficient acceptance.

PS I like the way SoT put it: You need to convince less than 1/4 of the total voters to win a major party's primary. If you can't do even that, how can you expect to win in a democratic system?

[ Thursday, March 22, 2007 07:42: Message edited by: Zeviz ]

--------------------
Be careful with a word, as you would with a sword,
For it too has the power to kill.
However well placed word, unlike a well placed sword,
Can also have the power to heal.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #60
quote:
Originally written by Thuryl:

I've always favoured appointing officials by lot. It's the only way to get a truly representative sample of public opinion.
Yeah, me too, but for different reasons. I don't really give a damn about a representative sample of public opinion. I do think that having an official be answerable to the people is a good thing, and that's what modern democracies try to do, but that's the only concern I have for voting at all.

I like this idea because I like the idea of government by the people. I think that people would learn a lot by participating in the government that they so stridently criticize all the time.

quote:
Originally written by Zeviz:

I like the way SoT put it: You need to convince less than 1/4 of the total voters to win a major party's primary.
Less, even, given voter turnout in the primaries. The numbers of registered Democrats, Republicans, and independents are roughly equal in the U.S. (a third of each), and voter turnout is less than half of registered voters even for the main presidential elections — it can be a third or less at primaries — so convincing 5%-10% of the registered voters can be sufficient to win a primary.

This is why the conventional wisdom says to play to the extremes in primaries, because you can win with a fairly small fraction of the population.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.

Agent
Member # 8030
Profile Homepage #61
The problem with this system used in America, is that only Democrats and Republicans are likely to win presidential elections. People won't vote for Independent, Libetarian, Green Party, etc. because they say they won't vote for someone who isn't going to win. How hypocritical! If people say that, they won't win; if they didn't say that they would win. For that reason, candidates from these parties try to run as a Democrat or Republican, but then they're very unlikely to win. Which means that Ron Paul probably won't win. :(

--------------------
WWJD?
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #62
Actually, the fact that an increasing number of Americans are in favor of a social safety net has more to do with the poor showing of Liberatarians than any other single factor.

--------------------
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:

Well, I'm at least pretty sure that Salmon is losing.

Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #63
quote:
Originally written by Excalibur:

The problem with this system used in America, is that only Democrats and Republicans are likely to win presidential elections.
But this is just the point: if a Libertarian has some policies they want to enact, they are perfectly free to persuade a majority of either Democrats or Republicans that the policies are good, and bingo, their ideas are in the platform of one of the two major parties.

A third party member who complains about having no chances beyond running a distant third is someone who admits they can't persuade half of the people, but still thinks they could persuade all the people if they only had a chance.

--------------------
Agent
Member # 8030
Profile Homepage #64
And has any backwater party ever convinced Democrats or Republicans to accept their opinions?

--------------------
WWJD?
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #65
quote:
Originally written by Excalibur:

And has any backwater party ever convinced Democrats or Republicans to accept their opinions?
quote:
Originally written by Zeviz:

As for mainstream parties absorbing popular issues into their platforms, that has happened many times in the past: anti-trust legislature and income tax are the first examples that come to mind. These issues were originally championed by small parties, but were picked up by mainsteam ones after gaining sufficient acceptance.

--------------------

Agent
Member # 8030
Profile Homepage #66
That didn't really answer my question.

--------------------
WWJD?
Apprentice
Member # 8316
Profile #67
NO OFFENCE TO ANYBODY!!!!!!!!!

But in my opinyon Bush sucks all around!
Lifecrafter
Member # 6403
Profile #68
And that's why your opinion is wrong.

And do you get just how stupid saying "no offense" and then offending someone sounds? Saying "no offense" is not leeway to say whatever you want. It is an apology in advance to whomever you do insult with a generally harmless statement.

[ Saturday, March 24, 2007 21:09: Message edited by: radix malorum est cupiditas ]

--------------------
??? ??????
???? ?????
Agent
Member # 8030
Profile Homepage #69
By Narmoth Spear
quote:

Saying no offense isn't necessary, since most people don't like Bush in the first place.

--------------------
WWJD?
Canned
Member # 8014
Profile #70
quote:
Originaly by Excalibur
By Narmoth Spear
quote:

Saying no offense isn't necessary, since most people don't like Bush in the first place.

Of course.

The day Bush is kicked out of the White House forever is the day I celebrate!

Edit -Spacing error

[ Sunday, March 25, 2007 12:01: Message edited by: Infernal Flamming Muffin ]

--------------------
I can transform into almost anything, though not sanity.
Muffins n' Hell. Note that revisions of the first part is down the list.
Agent
Member # 8030
Profile Homepage #71
quote:
7/27/84(age 90)Still on the boards
I wonder how long these boards will actually last.

--------------------
WWJD?
Canned
Member # 8014
Profile #72
That is part of my sig.

--------------------
Agent
Member # 8030
Profile Homepage #73
As if I didn't know that. It's not like I was quoting part of your soul.
So how long will these boards last.

--------------------
WWJD?
Canned
Member # 8014
Profile #74
When Jeff goes, the company goes, the boards go.
Which is probably before 2084.
But it is to show my loyalty to Spiderweb Software.

Then again, the boards can still continue.

[ Sunday, March 25, 2007 12:47: Message edited by: Infernal Flamming Muffin ]

--------------------

Pages