Hypothetical thoughts

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Hypothetical thoughts
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #50
quote:
Originally written by Cryptozoology:

Don't you feel even the least temptation to romanticise that era when you read about it, though?
Depends on what you mean by "romanticise," I guess. My first reaction is, no. Enjoying the Iliad makes me want to visit Homeric society for a day or two, but not to live a lifetime there, and it certainly doesn't make me think that Achilles and Odysseus were better than modern-day people, or that the Homeric age was better than the present day.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #51
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:

Enjoying the Iliad makes me want to visit Homeric society for a day or two, but not to live a lifetime there, and it certainly doesn't make me think that Achilles and Odysseus were better than modern-day people, or that the Homeric age was better than the present day.
Which makes you a more intelligent and mature person than, say, about half of all the slobbery Tolkien fansprogs out there.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Shaper
Member # 7420
Profile Homepage #52
Oh, no. I like Star Wars. I guess that makes me a Nazi, huh?

--------------------
You lose.
Lifecrafter
Member # 6388
Profile #53
quote:
Originally written by Emperor Tullegolar:

Oh, no. I like Star Wars. I guess that makes me a Nazi, huh?
A Nixon-era Democrat, actually.

As per usual, your failure to do even the most rudimentary of homework makes you look like even more of a buffoon than usual. Keep up the good work! IMAGE(http://www.ironycentral.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ubb/icons/icon14.gif)
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #54
No, being a Nazi makes you a Nazi. Being a Nazi who likes Star Wars makes you a Nazi who's useful as an example for our side of the argument. :P

--------------------
Shaper
Member # 7420
Profile Homepage #55
quote:
Alec:
As per usual, your failure to do even the most rudimentary of homework makes you look like even more of a buffoon than usual. Keep up the good work!
You're right, of course. I should definitly spend more time paying attention to online debates, doing research for them, making sure my arguments on trivial matters are rock solid, lest people I'm never going to meet in real life should think any less of me. Is it as glorious as it all sounds, Alec?

--------------------
You lose.
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #56
I have kind of the same trouble with Tolkien as Alec, though perhaps not so severe. Tolkien's conservatism is so ridiculously extreme, and it does color most of the book. But I can put it aside, suspend judgement along with disbelief, and enjoy the story for a few hours. After all, it is in principle possible that there could be a world in which all the great stuff just happened to be old.

I think it's healthy to let somebody who disagrees profoundly with you into your head. It may be unpleasant, but if you can stand it, you can learn a lot.

--------------------
We're not doing cool. We're doing pretty.
Posts: 3335 | Registered: Thursday, September 4 2003 07:00
Lifecrafter
Member # 6388
Profile #57
quote:
Originally written by Emperor Tullegolar:

quote:
Alec:
As per usual, your failure to do even the most rudimentary of homework makes you look like even more of a buffoon than usual. Keep up the good work!
You're right, of course. I should definitly spend more time paying attention to online debates, doing research for them, making sure my arguments on trivial matters are rock solid, lest people I'm never going to meet in real life should think any less of me. Is it as glorious as it all sounds, Alec?

No amount of hand-waving will obscure the two facts at issue here: 1) you thought George Lucas, whose anti-Bush pabulum in Episode III was so facile and transparent as to be embarassing, was a nazi; and 2) you lack the brains God gives the average swine.
Shaper
Member # 7420
Profile Homepage #58
I didn't say Lucas was a Nazi. I was rooting for the bad guys in those movies. I thought that was assumed, I'll spell it out for you next time.

[ Tuesday, February 27, 2007 23:43: Message edited by: Emperor Tullegolar ]

--------------------
You lose.
Lifecrafter
Member # 6388
Profile #59
Or perhaps the next time you completely and absolutely fail to comprehend anything anyone is talking about in a topic you could avoid it and spare your betters the trouble of dealing with your squalor.
Shaper
Member # 7420
Profile Homepage #60
So you can dish it out but you can't take it? Figures.

--------------------
You lose.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #61
The fact that you don't even notice that you're still the one taking it says a lot about how accustomed you've become to doing so.

--------------------
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #62
Speaking of sucking, can't you guys either do better than this "Am not!", "Are too!" crap, or leave it alone?

--------------------
We're not doing cool. We're doing pretty.
Posts: 3335 | Registered: Thursday, September 4 2003 07:00
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #63
Um, he started it? :P

--------------------
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #64
quote:
Originally written by Macrsp:

Perhaps you mean 'unraveling'? a raffle is something very different, rather similar to a lotto.
Yeah, you're right. Okay, so one more time:

unravel the mysteries of the brain.

--------------------
Play and rate my scenarios:

Where the rivers meet
View my upcoming scenario: The Nephil Search: Escape.

Give us your drek!
Agent
Member # 3364
Profile Homepage #65
watch a TNG marathon... watch the paint dry... watch a couple guys have a cat fight...

*continues rambling*

--------------------
"Even the worst Terror from Hell can be transformed to a testimony from Heaven!" - Rev. David Wood 6\23\05

"Do all the good you can, by all the means you can, in all the ways you can, in all the places you can, at all the times you can, to all the people you can, as long as you ever can." - John Wesley
Shaper
Member # 3442
Profile Homepage #66
quote:
Originally written by Jewels:

watch a TNG marathon... watch the paint dry... watch a couple guys have a cat fight...

*continues rambling*

Two guys in a cat fight is so funny, I can't believe its not further up the list. Admittedly, the two people in question were also drunk, which must have added to the spectacle, but still... :P

--------------------
And when you want to Live
How do you start?
Where do you go?
Who do you need to know?

*Name by Slarty, so blame him if it's filthy...
Lifecrafter
Member # 6388
Profile #67
quote:

watch a TNG marathon
So Jesus does rot your brain. :P
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #68
quote:
Originally written by Keladon:
Randomizer: You're mixing two things: reviving a dead language and trying to prevent an endangered language from dying out. There were no native speakers of Hebrew for a while. Now there are. That's reviving. Navajo has never completely died out, so it can't be "revived" in the same sense of the word, just re-popularized
Hebrew always had native speakers, it just ceased to be the primary language of any region. It was already becoming a religious and scholarly language before the Christian era. This usage is what kept it from dying out although it did undergo a pronouncian shift into the two major forms of European and Oriental.

Zionism chose to use Hebrew as the primary language when they revived Israel as a state. Modern Hebrew uses biblical Hebrew as the starting point and added words for moden terms and borrowings from other languages.

There were Jews still living in Israel since Roman times in a few cities. So Hebrew continued in that region even though it wasn't the primary language.

Latin had even less people that spoke it for centuries after the Catholic church changed the Mass to local languages. Not having a major reason to learn it makes a language die out. Well that and genocide.

[ Wednesday, February 28, 2007 21:58: Message edited by: Randomizer ]
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #69
quote:
Originally written by Randomizer:

Hebrew always had native speakers, it just ceased to be the primary language of any region.
I will admit that I'm rather out of my element outside the Indo-European languages, but as far as I know, you're just completely wrong. Hebrew was not anyone's native language from somewhere in late antiquity to about the nineteenth century. People could read it and write it, but it was not anyone's first language.

quote:
Latin had even less people that spoke it for centuries after the Catholic church changed the Mass to local languages.
And Latin hasn't had any native speakers since the Early Middle Ages. But we could define "people who spoke Latin" loosely, here, and that would make what you're saying true.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Agent
Member # 3364
Profile Homepage #70
quote:
Originally written by The Walrus xx:

quote:

watch a TNG marathon... watch the paint dry... watch Alec and ET have a cat fight...

*continues rambling*

Two guys in a cat fight is so funny, I can't believe its not further up the list. Admittedly, the two people in question were also drunk, which must have added to the spectacle, but still... :P

I suppose it might depend on who the guys in the catfight are. Orlando Bloom vs. Wil Wheaton would definately be higher on the list. I fixed my typo.

quote:
Originally written by Alec:
So Jesus does rot your brain.
Wait a minute. You told me you have Jesus, too. Of course, it would explain so much.
;)

--------------------
"Even the worst Terror from Hell can be transformed to a testimony from Heaven!" - Rev. David Wood 6\23\05

"Do all the good you can, by all the means you can, in all the ways you can, in all the places you can, at all the times you can, to all the people you can, as long as you ever can." - John Wesley
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #71
Wil Wheaton?

Dear god, Jewels.

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00
Canned
Member # 7704
Profile #72
I don't know much about blasphemy but some one won't like comments on religions.
People believe in a persons that will help them out of their misery well no one is going too.
People like jesus or great leaders or politicians.
Can't we citizens talk in discussion rooms and find a better way to solve problems instead of letting administrations run our lives?
Or are we going to stay and talk how to make our selves entertained?

[ Friday, March 02, 2007 08:14: Message edited by: upon mars ]

--------------------
You can jump off a bridge, fire a gun in your mouth, drink poison,or going in to the tiger's pit but you will still end up dead it's a mater of time and how .
Shaper
Member # 3442
Profile Homepage #73
If we are going to stay and talk, somebody had better order pizza...

--------------------
And when you want to Live
How do you start?
Where do you go?
Who do you need to know?

*Name by Slarty, so blame him if it's filthy...
Canned
Member # 7704
Profile #74
http://www.sweetroll.com/pizza.jpg
And with your pizza what would you like?

--------------------
You can jump off a bridge, fire a gun in your mouth, drink poison,or going in to the tiger's pit but you will still end up dead it's a mater of time and how .

Pages