For those of you who live in a cave...

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: For those of you who live in a cave...
Shaper
Member # 32
Profile #0
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16267274/

Seems to be some trouble in the Northwest. Hope Jeff's alright.

--------------------
Lt. Sullust
Cogito Ergo Sum
Polaris
Agent
Member # 3349
Profile Homepage #1
Sounds like a bit of a mess, hope Jeff's OK.

--------------------
And everybody say....Yatta!
Warrior
Member # 7000
Profile Homepage #2
Well, he's on vacation right now, so there's a very real possibility that he's not even in the Northwest. I would be more worried about community members such as Salmon and Synergy.

--------------------
"It's sort of like Star Wars. Except Jeff didn't make Erika shoot first in Avernum 3, nor did he introduce annoying computer-animated aliens." —Arancaytar
The Spiderweb Chat Room
Shadow Vale - My site, home of the Spiderweb Chat Database, BoA Scenario Database, & the A1 Quest List, among other things.
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #3
Yeah, the weather's been just bad enough to make searching for the missing climbers on Mt. Hood difficult.

From the article:

quote:
Carbon monoxide...was also responsible for killing two men over the weekend...the other was using a charcoal grill to heat his bedroom.
Does that qualify him for a Darwin Award? Whatever happened to wearing multiple layers of clothing and putting more blankets on the bed?

Dikiyoba.
Warrior
Member # 7000
Profile Homepage #4
quote:
Originally written by Tricky Diki:

quote:
Carbon monoxide...was also responsible for killing two men over the weekend...the other was using a charcoal grill to heat his bedroom.
Does that qualify him for a Darwin Award? Whatever happened to wearing multiple layers of clothing and putting more blankets on the bed?

That's not nearly as bad as the man who was asphyxiated by methane from his own flatulence.

--------------------
"It's sort of like Star Wars. Except Jeff didn't make Erika shoot first in Avernum 3, nor did he introduce annoying computer-animated aliens." —Arancaytar
The Spiderweb Chat Room
Shadow Vale - My site, home of the Spiderweb Chat Database, BoA Scenario Database, & the A1 Quest List, among other things.
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #5
Gah, I hope they're okay... good thing JV's out of the office, though.

Wait... Salmon's here. He posted today. I guess the generator's been holding up well enough...

--------------------
Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.

I hate undead. I really, really, really, really hate undead. With a passion.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #6
Spidweb posted in Tech Support today. Jeff must be fine.

[ Tuesday, December 19, 2006 11:10: Message edited by: Kelandon ]

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Infiltrator
Member # 3040
Profile #7
quote:
Originally written by Ephesos:

Wait... Salmon's here. He posted today. I guess the generator's been holding up well enough...
I guess this is as good a place as any to bring up a point of confusion I have.

Salmon = ET?
ET = Salmon?
Is one or the other a fictional character? Both?

--------------------
Shaper
Member # 7420
Profile Homepage #8
I'm the Salmon that lives on the East coast. I'm fine.

--------------------
You lose.
Agent
Member # 2820
Profile #9
quote:
Originally written by Tyran:

That's not nearly as bad as the man who was asphyxiated by methane from his own flatulence.
Where did you hear this from? Give me a source and I will be pleasantly shocked.

I daresay a death primarily due to such a cause would be impossible. Methane only constitutes a small portion of the gases within the intestine, and if the space in which the person were enclosed was small enough to make this several liter volume of various gases significant, then the person would suffocate in a matter of minutes anyway.

--------------------
Thuryl: I mean, most of us don't go around consuming our own bodily fluids, no matter how delicious they are.
====
Alorael: War and violence would end if we all had each other's babies!
====
Drakefyre: Those are hideous mangos.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #10
quote:
Originally written by Garrison:

quote:

Where did you hear this from? Give me a source and I will be pleasantly shocked.

The Darwin Awards listed this as "confirmed" at one point, but then they rechecked it and it turned out to be an urban myth.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Shock Trooper
Member # 4239
Profile #11
quote:

quote:

The Darwin Awards website has two pages on this: one page in which this story wins, and another in which it is declared apocryphal. My guess is it's an urban legend, but who knows?

EDIT: Gah, spent too long poking around and got beat to it. All well.

[ Tuesday, December 19, 2006 13:13: Message edited by: SNM ]

--------------------
There are two kinds of game players...those who are newbies, and those who were.
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #12
Saturday I watched a man load a kerosene heater and a 5 gallon bucket of fuel into his SUV. I know he wasn't going to be leaving a window open. Idiots.

We lost 5 or so trees, had 100 mph gusts, lost power for 94 hours, raged at the length of the daylight hours, and ran a generator for the freezers during the night. Others in the community still have no power.

Really though, it's just another storm like any other. Just a bit breezier, and of course it's December so it's a bit cold. It was the ocean that was crazy. NOAA buoys were reporting 45 foot waves on Thursday evening. Being out on those seas would be enough to make a person move to Kansas. Almost.

--------------------
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:

Well, I'm at least pretty sure that Salmon is losing.

Board Administrator
Member # 1
Profile Homepage #13
During the big storm, I was in Disneyland. It was awesome.

- Jeff Vogel

--------------------
Official Board Admin
spidweb@spiderwebsoftware.com
Agent
Member # 2820
Profile #14
Good for you, but exactly what was awesome, your trip to Disneyland (presumably with your family), the storm itself, or the fact that you were not in the storm while others were?

Be sure to stay alive until us Windows users get G4! :cool:

[ Tuesday, December 19, 2006 14:54: Message edited by: Garrison ]

--------------------
Thuryl: I mean, most of us don't go around consuming our own bodily fluids, no matter how delicious they are.
====
Alorael: War and violence would end if we all had each other's babies!
====
Drakefyre: Those are hideous mangos.
Warrior
Member # 7000
Profile Homepage #15
quote:

Be sure to stay alive until we Spiderweb-addicts get Nethergate 2.0! :cool:
FYT

--------------------
The Spiderweb Chat Room
Infiltrator
Member # 5410
Profile #16
quote:

better to use all that methane to power a barbeque and cook food, which can provide energy with which to fight the cold. ;)

Seriously, using barbeques indoors is a dangerous but not totally uncommon practice. T

--------------------
"Dikiyoba ... is demon ... drives people mad and ... do all sorts of strange things."

"You Spiderwebbians are mad, mad, mad as March hares."
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #17
It is not totally uncommon for people to be idiots.

—Alorael, who thinks some research should be done on the correlations between weather and stupidity. Add a little bit of rain to the roads and drivers become less competent. Make it a few snowflakes and nobody is capable of basic driving-related tasks. Curiously enough, stupidity seems to peak at moderate inconvenience. In a really bad storm or blizzard people are cautious enough to pass for rational human beings.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Shaper
Member # 6292
Profile #18
I'm one of the people who went back to the stone age and lived in a virtual cave.

I lost power Thursday night and just got it back yesterday after four days of dark and cold. I just got my internet back today. I think the storm took out my DSL modem. Verizon wanted to rape me by making me pay $80 for a new one, so I am now a Comcast cable modem customer. Verizon blows.

I lived by candlelight, stayed permanently in many layers of hiking clothes, quickly used up my firewood (of which I happened to be virtually out, in a case of terrible timing), and happily had a landline phone, so I could at least talk to the few people I know who actually had an accessible phone. I woke up so freaking cold every morning, it was a brutal ordeal to get out of bed. The air was badly smoky from so many fireplace fires and generators going. It was amazingly dark and quiet at night. A tree fell down at the mouth of my road. Someone cut it up after one day. At least four people around here died from the storm, three by falling trees, and a woman who died in her flooded basement.

I went out in the storm Thursday night before it got bad and from a big hill behind my house counted about 15 bright green electrical flashes in an hour, each one representing a powerline shorting or a transformer exploding. The storm woke me at midnight with wind so bad, I thought a great big fir tree outside my window was going to come through my window. There are still quite a few people in farther out places who will be without power for days more. One million homes and businesses were without power in King County initially. I saw a lot of trees on powerlines. It's a mess.

I did a lot of walking, listening to my crank-up radio (60 cranks is good for about 15 or 20 minutes,) reading by candlelight, and talking on the phone. I looked up my sources on my biology/quantum physics point, and realized why I did such a poor job making the point well. There was not much else to do. Happily, I reaquainted myself with some of my neighbors and a certain young lady I have not been in touch with for four years, but have crossed paths with again through rather extraordinary circumstances.

-S-

[ Tuesday, December 19, 2006 21:39: Message edited by: Synergy67 ]

--------------------
A4 Item Locations A4 Singleton G4 Items List G4 Forging List The Insidious Infiltrator
Lifecrafter
Member # 34
Profile Homepage #19
Funny. People are always so proud of using less electricity than everyone else, or always having some emergency kit on hand, or just simply don't realize how much everyone relies on that good ol' flow of electrons. Then, once the lights go out, everyone's just as screwed as everyone else.

--------------------
Frisbeetarianism is the belief that when you die, your soul goes up on the roof and gets stuck.

'Spiderweb Software' anagrammmed: 'Word-bereft A**wipe'
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #20
Using less electricity is still something to be proud of from an environmentalist standpoint, just not from a crazed survivalist standpoint.

—Alorael, who wonders how many fires are started during storms because of candles. He'd bet there's a surprising ironic correlation between rain and fires.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Infiltrator
Member # 187
Profile #21
quote:

quote:
Originally written by Tricky Diki:

quote:

That was a myth.

--------------------
He may look like an idiot, and talk like an idiot, but don't let that fool you. He really is an idiot.
Lifecrafter
Member # 34
Profile Homepage #22
As long as he has enough Magic Points for some Manna and Flame spells, he'll be ok.

--------------------
Frisbeetarianism is the belief that when you die, your soul goes up on the roof and gets stuck.

'Spiderweb Software' anagrammmed: 'Word-bereft A**wipe'