Stats inside (with History special!)

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Stats inside (with History special!)
Apprentice
Member # 4001
Profile Homepage #0
Greetings!

I'm EndeavorBot. I'm posting todays statistics because Aran is busy writing his novel, so he's asked me to help. I'm actually just passing on a message he wrote for me, but I will fill in the various numbers in the fields provided. I can't pass a Turing test yet - one thing at a time, eh?
Also, a special message, because Aran can't seem to do without those:

--------------------------

quote:
Today's statistics are dedicated to the memory of Herman Hollerith (February 29, 1860 – November 17, 1929) notable inventor and statistician, who died 77 years ago.

Hollerith (much like me :P ) was born in New York, to German parents. After graduating as an Engineer of Mining, he took a job with the US Census Bureau, where he dealt with statistical data of the steel industry.

Later, he spent his time researching a new technology to gather census data more efficiently. Inspired by a the punch-card mechanism of an automatic weaving loom (the Jacquard loom), he built a machine that would store data as a series of holes which would be read by electric contacts, and sorted and counted automatically.

The gain in efficiency was immense. The US Census of 1880, counting 50 million residents, had taken seven years to evaluate. The census of 1890 - the first one using Hollerith's tabulating machine - took only 2.5 years to tabulate 62 million people.
Having gained renown from the government contract, Hollerith founded the Tabulating Machine Company (today known as IBM), and sold (or rather leased) his appliances to many census bureaus and insurance companies world-wide.

His key invention - the punch-card as a means of writing, storing and processing data automatically - influenced the next century of computing technology. Programs were first hard-wired into computer systems and read their data from stacks of punch-cards; later, following the introduction of programming languages, assemblers and compilers, the programs were written on punch-cards themselves.

FORTRAN is one example for a language that was written almost exclusively on punch-cards, and whose fixed-form syntax still reflects that.

Since then, punch-cards as a means of storage have been replaced by hard-drives, floppy disks, CDs and eventually Flash memory - and nobody's really written them with a key-puncher since the rise of terminals, command lines and text editors. But as storage devices go, they are about the only one that would survive being folded in half and falling from a third-floor window onto a big magnet. And also, they make excellent note cards.

---

The PHP script I wrote back in February 2005 has also been updated and rewritten many times - from its early days of generating a comma-separated file that went into an excel table, to generating an SQL file that went into a database, to updating the database directly. These days, so much of it is automated that I hardly need to lift a finger in operating it - notice that I am not even making this post today.

A lot has changed since the beginning, but it originally started out as merely a primitive machine that listed member numbers and displayed names automatically, as opposed to dedicated people killing hours of their time doing it.
The first Spiderweb census took a year. These days, we're down to about 3-4 hours - every month. All in all, a nice evolution of technology. And now, back to EndeavorBot!

--Aran
--------------------------

On with the stats.

I. Membership:
88 new members have joined our ranks this month, and 27 of them stopped to say hi.
I guess this is more than last month, but I can't mess around with numbers that well yet.
Previous months:
August 2006: 86/38
September 2006: 106/29
October 2006: 81/25

II. Activity
Not only have we had 88 new active members; 160 more have seen fit to continue to grace this board with their presence, adding up to 187.
Previous months:
August 2006: 216 (178)
September 2006: 201 (172)
October 2006: 174 (149)

III. Postage
With the previous two categories, I was just guessing that it would be somewhat higher this month. With this one, I actually *know* it'll be an amazing rocket boost. Postage has taken off like there's no tomorrow. The turtles are happy. The ones with little time to read, I fear, are less so.
6886 new posts have been written, which comes to 226.83 per day and 36.82 per member.
The per-member-per-day average is an amazing 1.213, the first time it has been above 1 that I remember.

IV. Rankings
I'm going to list the top ten posters this month. No witty commentary, I'm afraid - Aran has yet to finish making the WittyComment™ module.
7472 Nioca 814 +577
5755 Spent Salmon 2226 +401
6600 Dikiyoba 2257 +345
4153 Ephesos 2537 +329
1934 Andraste 648 +317
7420 Emperor Tullegolar 520 +312
335 Gnawed One 12496 +283
6785 Randomizer 1229 +261
6581 Guardian Magma 1271 +244
391 Tyranicus. 478 +230
As always, I will be glad to show you the full rankings if you come visit me on my site.

EndeavorBot signing off :)

[ Friday, November 17, 2006 06:07: Message edited by: EndeavorBot ]
Guardian
Member # 6670
Profile Homepage #1
Wow. 132 posts this month. That's the second highest posts per month I have ever amassed. I'd like to apologize to the boards. I'm sorry for spamming so much.

Bwahahahahaha!!!

--------------------
Oh SPAM(tm)! Oh SPAM(tm)! Gourmet delight!
My food by day, my dreams by night.
To carve, to slice, to dice you up -
pureed in a blender and sipped from a cup.

What shining deity from Olympus knelt
down to the earth and hog butt smelt?
Creating then man's eternal desire
for swine entrails congealed by fire.

On some corporate farm, a pig has died.
Eyes, tongue, and snout end up inside
that cube of SPAM(tm) hidden in the can
I now hold in my trembling hand.

More than mere food, SPAM(tm) is for me
a hedonistic expression of gluttonous glee.
Mottled with pork fat, the pink cube engrosses.
My mouth takes it in, my intestine disposes.

Long have my arteries clogged to the sound
of sizzling SPAM(tm) when there's no one around -
furtively chewing or swallowing whole.
Triple bypass by forty, my medical goal.

Other processed meat products I've tried or declined
Vienna Sausages, Treet, even pig's feet in brine.
Though each may be tasty in different ways,
none matches SPAM(tm) for gelatinous glaze.

That glistening pinkness beckons me

with gristle, fat, and BHT.
Oh SPAM(tm), my SPAM(tm) - the taste, the smell!
The sacred meat product, from Hormel.
Shaper
Member # 7472
Profile Homepage #2
I might just make this a habit, if Endeavor doesn't take this up as well. Here is the average PPD for the top ten this month.

Nioca -------------------------- 18.61 PPD
1 Salmon/2 Salmon/Total Salmon - 12.93/4.61/17.54 PPD
Dikiyoba ----------------------- 11.12 PPD
Ephesos ------------------------ 10.61 PPD
Andraste ----------------------- 10.22 PPD
Emperor Tullegolar ------------- 10.06 PPD
Alorael ------------------------- 9.12 PPD
Randomizer ---------------------- 8.41 PPD
Guardian Magma ------------------ 7.87 PPD
Tyranicus ----------------------- 7.41 PPD
AVERAGE TOP TEN PPD ----------- 11.062
I have some more stats coming in a little while.

[ Friday, November 17, 2006 08:37: Message edited by: Nioca ]

--------------------
I tried to think of something witty to put here.

Needless to say, I failed.
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #3
w00tage.

So, with regards to this month, first one to 400? :D

--------------------
Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.

I hate undead. I really, really, really, really hate undead. With a passion.
Shaper
Member # 7472
Profile Homepage #4
Well, if another post race happens this month, I'm probably going to fall back multiple ranks. I'm not interested in leading another one.

--------------------

Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #5
Eighteen is the lowest I've ever been, and my posting rate has remained fairly near the same from month to month.

Bad spammers. Bad.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #6
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:

Bad spammers. Bad.
Yes.

Nioca needs to do another analysis now. How much time was spent on those posts. Figure all the reading and then the writing. Two minutes per written post, except for polls, and 15 seconds to read each post.

Deeply pleased at the resurgent activity doesn't begin to cover it.

--------------------
quote:

Well, I'm at least pretty sure that Salmon is losing.

Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #7
I'll be more than happy to take up the torch, and to count my metaphors before they mix!

In Tyran's words... to spam! :D

--------------------

Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #8
Also, Salmon is shameless.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.

Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #9
Yeah, that was the main thing I noticed, looking at the ratings. The former top 10 posters who were deposed or demoted, such as myself, Kel, Thuryl, Aran, and Alorael, were the ones with fairly consistent monthly counts. The spammers went crazy this month. Dikiyoba and Ephesos seem to have been swept up in that, too.

Bad spammers. Quantity = bad. Bad quantity! Long live nothing!

"Do you know what it's like having to live your life next to the number 1?" -- Zero, on Square One

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #10
quote:

Also, Salmon is shameless.
Yes, pretty much. Although I did struggle mightily to avoid putting that word in my post. It seemed appropriate, yet it would not have been me. Thanks for setting the record straight and letting me wiggle past another month, guilt-free.

:D

Edit - Yup Slarty, you are absolutely right. :rolleyes:

[ Friday, November 17, 2006 09:17: Message edited by: Spent Salmon ]

--------------------
quote:

Well, I'm at least pretty sure that Salmon is losing.

Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #11
Um... Aran? The lists on Endeavor are broken. All of them.

EDIT: Well, when accessed through the sidebar, anyway.

[ Friday, November 17, 2006 09:42: Message edited by: Ephesos ]

--------------------

Shaper
Member # 7472
Profile Homepage #12
These weren't the stats Tyranicus requested, but they're quite interesting anyway.

This table is a general idea of how much people spammed this month, and it contains every person who posted 100 or more times.

These statistics work off of two main assumptions. First, that every post in October was legitimate. Second, that every other post a person made this month which was ABOVE their October value is spam.

Because of these two main assumptions, these tables are not entirely accurate, and may contain some outright errors. *cough*Zeviz*cough*

Also, two members are not listed: -X- and Salmon's second identity. -X- didn't get in because this is his first posting month. There wasn't a real yardstick to measure his posting with, and the statisics would have given him an exact 50%, no matter how he was calculated. Salmon's second account isn't there because it was lumped in with the first.

% CHANGE is how much that person's posting changed this month, in a percent value. % SPAM is a statistical evaluation of how much that person spammed this month. SPAM POSTS is approximately how many posts were spam, based on the statistics.

MEMBER POSTS OCT / NOV % CHANGE % SPAM SPAM POSTS
Nioca 202 - 577 285.64% 29.99% 173.04
Salmon 116 - 544 468.96% 57.36% 312.03
Dikiyoba 127 - 345 271.65% 26.38% 91.01
Ephesos 91 - 329 361.53% 44.52% 146.47
Andraste 47 - 317 674.46% 70.35% 223.00
Tullegolar 117 - 312 266.66% 24.36% 76.00
Alorael 118 - 283 239.83% 16.61% 47.00
Randomizer 73 - 261 357.53% 44.07% 115.02
Magma 53 - 244 460.37% 56.56% 138.00
Tyranicus 97 - 230 237.11% 15.66% 36.01
Arancaytar 112 - 223 199.10% 00.00% 0.00
*i 81 - 171 211.11% 00.57% 0.97
Slartucker 72 - 158 219.44% 00.88% 1.39
Thuryl 63 - 155 246.03% 01.87% 2.89
Dintiradan 52 - 132 253.84% 02.12% 2.79
Kelandon 71 - 130 183.09% 00.00% 0.00
Zeviz 4 - 121 3025.00% 93.39% 113.00
Delicious Vlish 12 - 106 833.33% 77.36% 82.00
Jewels 23 - 100 434.78% 54.00% 54.00
These numbers were deterimined by the following formulas:
% CHANGE = NOV / OCT
% SPAM = 1 - (OCT / (NOV / 2))
SPAM POSTS = NOV * (% SPAM * .01)

Have fun...

EDIT: Added a light bulb. :cool:

[ Friday, November 17, 2006 09:53: Message edited by: Nioca ]

--------------------

Shaper
Member # 7472
Profile Homepage #13
Oops. Double post.

[ Friday, November 17, 2006 09:51: Message edited by: Nioca ]

--------------------

Shaper
Member # 7420
Profile Homepage #14
Nioca's spam stats gets my Emperor's Seal of Approval™ not because it is an accurate representation of who did the most actual spamming, but because it makes me look good!

--------------------
You lose.
Agent
Member # 6581
Profile Homepage #15
Nice work Nioca! :)

*reading spamtistic*

138 spam posts? More than the half of my total posts? Not true!

Well, I say, I wasn't very active last month.

(Uhm... Is a good excuse, yes...)

---

Grr... 9th... I win and I lose at the same time. Meh.

--------------------
Download Geneforge 4: Rebellion

You have 6 posts. Nobody cares what you think. - Thuryl

Wikipedia may be your friend, but UBB is not. - Dikiyoba
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #16
quote:
Originally written by Ephesos:

Um... Aran? The lists on Endeavor are broken. All of them.

EDIT: Well, when accessed through the sidebar, anyway.

A part of them is badly structured and needs a URL alias that ends in a * (wildcard) to work properly. Another part of them is badly coded and breaks if accessed with that same * in the end. The lists page is the intersection of these subsets.

I'll fix it one of these days. I've already worked a lot on the PPP site this week, and once I'm done with Nano I can spend some time on the Endeavor too.

Edit: I don't claim to be a statistician or a mathematician, but that formula feels wonky:

quote:
% SPAM = 1 - (OCT / (NOV / 2))
I can see where you're going with this:

quote:
First, that every post in October was legitimate. Second, that every other post a person made this month which was ABOVE their October value is spam.
But from those conditions shouldn't the formula for number of spam posts be this?

(NOV-OCT)/2

For example, take my postcount, which very nearly doubled. According to your verbal condition, that means half of the increase (or a quarter of my total) was spam.

But according to your formula, 0 of it was spam. What your formula does is more close to:

quote:
First, that every post in October was legitimate. Second, that every post in November that was ABOVE double their October value was spam.
There's a world of difference between doing the doubling or the subtraction first. :P

[ Friday, November 17, 2006 11:10: Message edited by: Sirrus ]

--------------------
Encyclopaedia ErmarianaForum ArchivesForum StatisticsRSS [Topic / Forum]
My BlogPolarisI eat novels for breakfast.
Polaris is dead, long live Polaris.
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair.
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #17
Nice effort on the table Nioca, but I'm confused about how you are defining spam. You originally said every November post above the October value counts as spam, which seems like a reasonable definition (from the purely mathematical point of view we are using here). This would be represented by:

SPAM POSTS = NOV - OCT
(Since NOV > OCT for every user listed, no exception is necessary)

The formula you used instead looks very odd if you expand it:
SPAM POSTS = NOV * ((1 - (OCT / (NOV / 2))) * .01)
since the NOV value is used twice. Really, it's the % SPAM definition that makes very little sense. Shouldn't it be:
% SPAM = (NOV - OCT) / NOV

Anyway, you appear to have used a premise for the formula that you didn't state in writing.

Take me as an example:
OCT = 72
NOV = 158
which should give
SPAM POSTS = 86
% SPAM = 54.43%

I'm not sure what exactly 00.88% SPAM is supposed to mean for me, but it would translate to approximately 2 SPAM POSTS -- very much at odds with the assumption you stated.

---

Now, a fairer % SPAM definition might take into account the difference between proactive and reactive posting. Since everyone more or less doubled their post count -- only Kelandon is really below the 200% mark, and him not by much -- a certain % increase can probably be written off as reactive posting rather than spam.

--------------------
Shaper
Member # 6292
Profile #18
quote:
Originally written by Aran the Absent:

Postage has taken off like there's no tomorrow.

The Spiderweb fora blew chunks all over the place last month. It went from relatively little, but somewhat relevant and interesting posting, to the most insipid and inane spamming ever. I’m shaking my head at how many seem to consider this an improvement or a worthy goal somehow: generating sheer quantity over any consideration for or attempt at quality. I read less in Oct. than ever before when hanging out here, because there was so much sophomoronic dreck to wade through to find anything worth reading. I feel like the Spiderweb community has been seduced by the American anthem that “too much is never enough.” I tend to subscribe to the “less is more” Japanese aesthetic, and God, I hope someone else around here will too this month.

-S- is for Stop it already.

[ Friday, November 17, 2006 11:32: Message edited by: S is for Synergy ]

--------------------
A4 Item Locations A4 Singleton G4 Items List G4 Forging List The Insidious Infiltrator
Shock Trooper
Member # 4239
Profile #19
deja vu. I have the strange feeling I already read part of this topic.

Of course, the complaint I had the first time has disappeared, so now I'll point out that EndeavorBot's math is off:
quote:
Not only have we had 88 new active members; 160 more have seen fit to continue to grace this board with their presence, adding up to 187.
Presumably you called the "new_members()" function rather than "new_active_members()" for the first one (88) but not for the second one (187).

--------------------
There are two kinds of game players...those who are newbies, and those who were.
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #20
quote:
Slarty:

[math]
Hah! Sniped you! :P

Edit: And you made the same mistake I made first - overlooking the "every other". In fact, only half of the difference is spam, but the formula is still wrong. :D

[ Friday, November 17, 2006 11:44: Message edited by: Sirrus ]

--------------------
Law Bringer
Member # 6489
Profile Homepage #21
quote:
Originally written by Nioca:

These weren't the stats Tyranicus requested, but they're quite interesting anyway.
I requested stats? I think I would have remembered that.

It was touch and go there at the end, but I made it, although I am frequently in the second half of the top 10.

Starting now, I will be posting with this account, until I reach 1000, then I will be returning to 391. You people won't see where I am in the rankings this month til the very end. :P

--------------------
"You're drinking liquor because you're thirsty? How nasty is your freaking water?" —Lazarus
Spiderweb Chat Room
Avernum RPSummariesOoCRoster
Shadow Vale - My site, home of the Spiderweb Chat Database, BoA Scenario Database, & the A1 Quest List, among other things.
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #22
quote:
Originally written by Sirrus:

[QUOTE]Edit: And you made the same mistake I made first - overlooking the "every other". In fact, only half of the difference is spam, but the formula is still wrong. :D
"Second, that every other post a person made this month which was ABOVE their October value is spam."

Meh. That was a poor way of phrasing it -- it just sounded redundant rather than halving. Regardless, Nioca's formulas make very little sense either way.

--------------------
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #23
After playing notpron (see the riddles thread) I got used to never overlooking a single word in a sentence. :P

quote:
You people won't see where I am in the rankings this month til the very end.
Unless I manually update you... :P

--------------------
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #24
quote:
Originally written by EndeavorBot:

Hey Aran! EndeavorBot has a small bug: that's 88 new members, but only 27 active new members!

By the way, is the overwhelming majority of that post EndeavorBot's signature? Or is there some other bizarre reason why it doesn't quote properly?
quote:
Originally written by Artequila:

Now, a fairer % SPAM definition might take into account the difference between proactive and reactive posting. Since everyone more or less doubled their post count -- only Kelandon is really below the 200% mark, and him not by much -- a certain % increase can probably be written off as reactive posting rather than spam.
Indeed, we might take into account monthly averages since joining. We can say that my posting rate was very low on the spam content, because it's pretty near (or probably below) my monthly average since these stats began being collected. We can say that there's something fishy about Salmon's post total this month, since it's so much higher than his monthly average.
quote:
Originally written by S is for Synergy:

I feel like the Spiderweb community has been seduced by the American anthem that “too much is never enough.” I tend to subscribe to the “less is more” Japanese aesthetic
Drop the nationalities, and you have the same point, stated more accurately.

[ Friday, November 17, 2006 13:03: Message edited by: Kelandon ]

--------------------

Pages