Renovations...

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Renovations...
Shaper
Member # 7472
Profile Homepage #25
quote:
Originally written by Dikiyoba:

Originally by Nioca:

quote:
That still leaves the fact I don't check my e-mail that often.
So just check your profile once or twice a day, and you won't miss anything. Except e-mails, of course, but you can't have everything. :P

Dikiyoba.

I already do that. :P

--------------------
I tried to think of something witty to put here.

Needless to say, I failed.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #26
We had avatars right here on this very UBB for a while. They were nixed for the slower modems among us, if I remember correctly. Some people decided that it would be a good idea to have really painfully massive avatars, which didn't help matters any.

—Alorael, who thinks most complaints could be addressed by moving to a different BB system. Nearly any decent system, actually. The UBB now exists solely due to intertia and sentimental value.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Shock Trooper
Member # 4239
Profile #27
quote:
Originally written by Alanine Henry Naught:

We had avatars right here on this very UBB for a while. They were nixed for the slower modems among us, if I remember correctly. Some people decided that it would be a good idea to have really painfully massive avatars, which didn't help matters any.
Is it really not possible to limit the size on them?
Not that I care much; most forums that allow avatars either require them all to be admin-approved or else suck horribly, in part due to the avatars people use.
quote:
sentimental value.
That's like keeping around a whiny computer fan just because you liked the computer it used to be in. :P

--------------------
There are two kinds of game players...those who are newbies, and those who were.
Warrior
Member # 7614
Profile #28
They should switch software, jettison all threads to the PPP, make members sign up anew rather than transfer them, and then not leave a sign on the door. Leaving the old system up and running/limping, would be a cruel, but characteristic, joke for the Vogel man to play on the unwitting. :P
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #29
Trying to load pages with avatars and even worse huge graphics file signatures is a pain at dial up modem speed. I've seen it on other boards and I sometimes give up rather than wait for the page to finish. I suppose I could just keep changing my option to text only loading if that happens here and have to switch for the photo threads.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #30
quote:
Originally written by Slippery Salomon:

They should switch software, jettison all threads to the PPP, make members sign up anew rather than transfer them, and then not leave a sign on the door. Leaving the old system up and running/limping, would be a cruel, but characteristic, joke for the Vogel man to play on the unwitting. :P
You say this as if it hasn't already happened.

:snaa:

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #31
quote:
Originally written by Thuryl:

Okay, I'm trying to figure out what this means... and I'm getting nothing.

--------------------
Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.

I hate undead. I really, really, really, really hate undead. With a passion.
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #32
I don't get the snaa, but I do remember the switch from Ikonboard for some reason. Even though I wasn't around back then. :P

In the meantime, Invision and vBulletin are both good choices.

phpBB, I am afraid to say, sucks. If you have any kind of money to spend, avoid it. I prefer free software normally, but phpBB isn't up to par.

But yeah, a board whose tagline is apparently "Database? Who needs a database?" should probably considered outdated.

On that note, I read the Infopop forums the other day and saw how people were debating whether the switch to MySQL made sense, seeing as the flat files worked perfectly. I couldn't read on...

--------------------
Encyclopaedia ErmarianaForum ArchivesForum StatisticsRSS [Topic / Forum]
My BlogPolarisI eat novels for breakfast.
Polaris is dead, long live Polaris.
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #33
quote:
Originally written by Ephesos:

quote:
Originally written by Thuryl:

Okay, I'm trying to figure out what this means... and I'm getting nothing.

Stealth ninja ass assassin. Used to be one of the smilies on Desp; equivalent to :ph34r: on Polaris.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Agent
Member # 6581
Profile Homepage #34
Images in signatures! Just that.

Also, some new graemilins. The " :o " one totally sucks.

And, of course, a vBullettin would be great.

--------------------
Download Geneforge 4: Rebellion

You have 6 posts. Nobody cares what you think. - Thuryl

Wikipedia may be your friend, but UBB is not. - Dikiyoba
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #35
Interesting.

Does anyone else have some suggestions to list?

Some ideas: Invision, vBulletin, phpBB, UBB.threads (otherwise known as "throwing good money after bad"), EzBoard (that was a joke), punBB. Those are just about all forums I've ever posted on, so I have to cut it off here.

Edit: Or Jeff could opt to revamp his entire site with some Content Management System (I'm in love with Drupal, myself), and integrate the forum with the rest of that site.

But I like the retro handmade website design, and it is certainly a running system (and has been for the last 12 years or so).

[ Monday, November 13, 2006 05:19: Message edited by: Sirrus ]

--------------------
Agent
Member # 6581
Profile Homepage #36
quote:
Originally written by Sirrus:

Interesting.
Oh oh, we catched his interest. That's Interesting. Are we going to change anything?

--------------------
Download Geneforge 4: Rebellion

You have 6 posts. Nobody cares what you think. - Thuryl

Wikipedia may be your friend, but UBB is not. - Dikiyoba
Agent
Member # 2820
Profile #37
The software behind these forums are not the best, but I've been OK with them. I'd be delighted with avatars, though. Couldn't there just be some preference to set to block large images or something if you have a slow connection?

--------------------
Thuryl: I mean, most of us don't go around consuming our own bodily fluids, no matter how delicious they are.
====
Alorael: War and violence would end if we all had each other's babies!
====
Drakefyre: Those are hideous mangos.
Lifecrafter
Member # 6700
Profile Homepage #38
Avatars would make life interesting.
What would be really nice would be if we could choose a personal option as to whether or not said avatars would be visible, to help those with dial-up.

Something more stable along the lines of board software would be nice, though I have no idea where to go with that.

HTML support seems to have its advantages, however, even the slightest amount of thinking in that regard leads to the conclusion that its abuse will lead to more problems than conveniences.

Personally, I could care less about a PM utility. I get IMed and e-mailed more often than I get PMed.

--------------------
The Silent Assassin made it in in seven hours and sixteen minutes flat.
I think that he's catching on.

--------------------
-Lenar Labs
What's Your Destiny?

Ushmushmeifa: Lenar's power is almighty and ineffable.

All hail lord Noric, god of... well, something important, I'm sure.
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #39
If the new board finally had a sane way of archiving private messages (or at least did away with these ridiculous limits) good. Otherwise I'd just let it fill up in protest and make people use email. :P

--------------------
Shock Trooper
Member # 4239
Profile #40
quote:
Originally written by Sirrus:

phpBB, I am afraid to say, sucks. If you have any kind of money to spend, avoid it. I prefer free software normally, but phpBB isn't up to par.
What's wrong with phpBB? The two best-moderated, fastest-loading, easiest-to-use forums I've ever seen both run it.

--------------------
There are two kinds of game players...those who are newbies, and those who were.
Nuke and Pave
Member # 24
Profile Homepage #41
These boards did have avatars, until Jeff turned them off "to save bandwidth".

And if you want HTML turned on, take a look at PPP archives of Nethergate forums. There are some threads of people going HTML-crazy there, including huge brightly colored signatures, scrolling posts, and any other "fun" you can think of withing the limits of CoC.

About PM systems, I actually prefer UBB, because it's the only board I've seen that gives you private threads for your PMs, making conversations much more orderly than quote pyramids that grow in email-like systems. And with up to 50 threads of up to 21 messages each, there is also more storage capacity here than on any large public board I've seen.

The only problem with UBB is that it has a habit of eating threads, especially when they get too large. Whether the problem is serious enough for Jeff to move the boards depends on whether useful threads in game sub-forums start getting eaten.

Just don't expect avatars, enabled HTML, or more PM space for non-moderators from a new board system.

--------------------
Be careful with a word, as you would with a sword,
For it too has the power to kill.
However well placed word, unlike a well placed sword,
Can also have the power to heal.
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #42
A temporary counter-measure to the thread-eating will hopefully be the live-updating mirror once that's done.
But in the long run, a forum with less than 2-3 data corruptions per month would be nice.

--------------------
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #43
I thought the avatars were disabled for reasonable if not entirely sound reasons of other peoples' bandwidth. Pruning to save bandwidth was the decision that baffled me. I do have a few memories of Djur ranting about how there's no waste of bandwidth when the images are hosted by other people, though, so maybe the reasons were retroactively altered.

HTML enablement is a choice. It is a choice that many of us have made quite consciously. It is a choice I make every day when I think, "Do I want to enable HTML for RWG? It would not definitely make things worse." And HTML stays disabled.

—Alorael, who put excessive effort into this post. A cookie to those who notice and don't complain.
Nuke and Pave
Member # 24
Profile Homepage #44
quote:
Originally written by YRUAPC:

I thought the avatars were disabled for reasonable if not entirely sound reasons of other peoples' bandwidth. Pruning to save bandwidth was the decision that baffled me. I do have a few memories of Djur ranting about how there's no waste of bandwidth when the images are hosted by other people, though, so maybe the reasons were retroactively altered.
No, Jeff was saying that it was the waste of his bandwidth. I am still confused by that claim, because I don't think externally hosted images use any of Spidweb bandwidth. (I guess UBB might be storing all avatars locally, but I don't know such details.)

quote:
—Alorael, who put excessive effort into this post. A cookie to those who notice and don't complain.

1 cookie here please. (Does it count if I noticed only after reading your sig?)

[ Monday, November 13, 2006 13:10: Message edited by: Zeviz ]

--------------------
Be careful with a word, as you would with a sword,
For it too has the power to kill.
However well placed word, unlike a well placed sword,
Can also have the power to heal.
Dollop of Whipped Cream
Member # 391
Profile Homepage #45
quote:
Originally written by Magma:

Also, some new graemilins. The " :o " one totally sucks.
Quite literally. :P

--------------------
"Tyranicus is about the only one that still posts in the Nethergate Forum." —Randomizer
Spiderweb Chat Room
Shadow Vale - My site, home of the Spiderweb Chat Database, BoA Scenario Database, & the A1 Quest List, among other things.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #46
If it was to save Spiderweb's bandwidth then Djur was right and the rationale for avatar removal was not rational at all.

—Alorael, who now has an urge to do that more often. Much, much more often. You may now be afraid.

Pages