Some Games Have Too Many Sequels

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Some Games Have Too Many Sequels
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #0
In the spirit of the Classic RPG Heritage Poll, particularly the part about me having too much time on my hands, here's another survey.

This one is about games that have way too many sequels. There are two questions for each series. One asks which games you have played, the other asks you to choose your favorite.

For purposes of sanity, I have restricted it to games of the same genre as the original. For example, in the case of Mario this means some of the Wario and Yoshi games are OK, but not WarioWare, Yoshi's Cookie, the RPGs, the golf games, or the other 140 games (according to Wikipedia) that star Mario and associates.

There are a few series that I contemplated including, but decided wouldn't produce interesting enough results to justify the typing time (Castlevania with ~20 games, or even Ultima, Wizardry, Might and Magic, Fire Emblem, and so on).

And before somebody asks, the Final Fantasy Legend games are not included under Final Fantasy because they really belong to the SaGa and not the Final Fantasy world, and have little in common as far as engine goes.

Poll Information
This poll contains 12 question(s). 43 user(s) have voted.
You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

function launch_voter () { launch_window("http://www.ironycentral.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=poll;d=vote;pollid=aInRLKtmjpwV"); return true; } // end launch_voter function launch_viewer () { launch_window("http://www.ironycentral.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=poll;d=view;pollid=aInRLKtmjpwV"); return true; } // end launch_viewer function launch_window (url) { preview = window.open( url, "preview", "width=550,height=300,toolbar=no,location=no,directories=no,status,menubar=no,scrollbars,resizable,copyhistory=no" ); window.preview.focus(); return preview; } // end launch_window IMAGE(votenow.gif)     IMAGE(voteresults.gif)

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #1
quote:
Originally written by Frosted Cryodrayks:

And before somebody asks, the Final Fantasy Legend games are not included under Final Fantasy because they really belong to the SaGa and not the Final Fantasy world, and have little in common as far as engine goes.
Can I just take a moment to point out what a crying shame it is that the Romancing SaGa series didn't get translated? They really are completely unlike any other RPGs ever made for the SNES. Unfortunately, only RS3 has a fan translation available, and the translation kinda sucks.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Dollop of Whipped Cream
Member # 391
Profile Homepage #2
Final Fantasy XIII? Getting a little ahead of ourselves, aren't we, Slarty?

Anyway, my favorites:
Ocarina of Time (Link to the Past is a close second)Super Mario 3 (Raccoon suit ftw!)FFIX (classic FF elements with graphics that are nice even now)Dragon Quest (Nothing beats the original)Mega Man (same as above)Dark Queen of Krynn (Probably because I'm a Dragonlance fanboy :P )

[ Sunday, October 29, 2006 08:25: Message edited by: Tyranicus. ]

--------------------
"Tyranicus is about the only one that still posts in the Nethergate Forum." —Randomizer
Spiderweb Chat Room
Shadow Vale - My site, home of the Spiderweb Chat Database, BoA Scenario Database, & the A1 Quest List, among other things.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #3
Ocarina of Time. No question.Super Mario WorldFFIX: It has no painful and frustrating systems and its plot doesn't fall too far into bizarreness and mysticism.I haven't enjoyed any Dragon Quest game enough to get very far, but I also haven't played anything past III.Mega Man XI've only played the original Pool of Radiance and not very much of it, so I don't think I'm qualfiied to vote.[Edit: I am not Aran.]
—Alorael, who really would like to know why Ultima isn't on the list. There aren't that many!

[ Sunday, October 29, 2006 09:40: Message edited by: Giant Cuddly Masculine Squid ]
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Shake Before Using
Member # 75
Profile #4
I seriously don't like the Zelda series.
While Super Mario 64 is probably better, the only one I ever owned was Super Mario Land 2, so that's my favorite.
I've played every numbered Final Fantasy up to 8 and every spinoff listed except Before Crisis. You left out Dirge of Cerberus, which I also didn't play. I listed my favorite as VI, but it's really Tactics. Whoops?
I only ever played Dragon Quest 1. I didn't like it.
I've only ever actually played two Megaman games. Not really a fan of the series.
I played the entire Pool of Radiance series and FRUA. Laughing at Whyte's suffering in Dark Queen of Krynn probably doesn't count for playing it, so I haven't played any of the others. While FRUA is definitely the best game on that list, Pools of Darkness has a special place in my heart, so I picked it as my favorite.
Agent
Member # 6581
Profile Homepage #5
I like MegaMan and all related games, but my personal favourite is X4.

--------------------
Download Geneforge 4: Rebellion

You have 6 posts. Nobody cares what you think. - Thuryl

Wikipedia may be your friend, but UBB is not. - Dikiyoba
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #6
I kinda liked Donkey Kong Country, but it wasn't on the list. Were you just listing the protagonists and failing to understand that the antagonists need play time as well? What gives?

Also, Gold Box, PoR was mindblowing. I still have some old sheets of graph paper that mapped out various levels. Good times. Slack? Care to recreate those good times?

;)

--------------------
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:

Well, I'm at least pretty sure that Salmon is losing.

Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #7
Let's see here... Zelda: Link's Awakening, Oracle of Seasons/Ages... and Yoshi's Story. Those are really the ones that I can call favorites.

Meh, half of those series... I've never touched them.

--------------------
Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.

I hate undead. I really, really, really, really hate undead. With a passion.
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #8
It's amazing to see such a big list of games I've never heard of.

Wait, I heard the name Final Fantasy mentioned, once or twice.

Are these all console games or something? That would explain why I'm so unfamiliar.

--------------------
Encyclopaedia ErmarianaForum ArchivesForum StatisticsRSS [Topic / Forum]
My BlogPolarisI eat novels for breakfast.
Polaris is dead, long live Polaris.
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair.
Infiltrator
Member # 4826
Profile #9
Anyone besides me vote for the last choice of every question?

--------------------
Bring back TM or [i]DIE.[/i]

To spread the hype, as well as cause your crush's name to appear on the screen, copy this into your signature.
Too Sexy for my Title
Member # 5654
Profile #10
quote:
Originally written by Robert Daniel Oliver:

It's amazing to see such a big list of games I've never heard of.
Ditto
quote:
Originally written by Robert Daniel Oliver:

Are these all console games or something? That would explain why I'm so unfamiliar.
The ones I recognized are all console games. I loved Donkey Kong, but it fails in comparison to my enjoyment of Super Mario Bros 3. I've also played 80% of the Mario games mentioned in the list, Donkey Kong (duh) and The Legend of Zelda.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #11
All of them but the Gold Box games are for consoles, and the Gold Box games are the oldest ones on the list.

—Alorael, who actually thinks some of the other lists have members that predate the earliest Gold Box games. The Gold Box "series" ended first, though, while all the rest are still going.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Warrior
Member # 1688
Profile #12
quote:
Originally written by Spookee Salmon:

Also, Gold Box, PoR was mindblowing. I still have some old sheets of graph paper that mapped out various levels. Good times. Slack? Care to recreate those good times?

;)

IMAGE(http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n273/foozlebum/Pool_of_Radiance.jpg)

:D
Agent
Member # 1934
Profile Homepage #13
Wow. You have way too much time on your hands.
I've never played any of those games.

Well, I did play Ocarina of Time for about 10 minuets and I sometimes play Mario on my calculator, but I don't think that counts.

Help! Firefox is going crazy!

--------------------
You acquire an item: Radio Free Foil
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #14
Alorael, as for Ultima, I figured that the results would be pretty predictable; highest play numbers for 3-6, potential zeroes before 3 and for Akalabeth, with most favorite votes going in the same range and perhaps a few to later games.

My favorite votes, FWIW, were:
Zelda: Oracle of SeasonsMario 2FF TacticsDragon Warrior IIMega Man 2Pool of RadianceThe last four being shut-out winners.
I am *shocked* that Link's Awakening got so many votes as a favorite. It's a good game, but it has some annoying features, and I'm hard pressed to see how it's not categorically inferior to the Oracle of Ages/Seasons pair, which use an improved version of the same engine and have more variety in gameplay.

I probably should have specified in the FF listings that FF 2 and 3 referred to the Japanese titles, since 4 and 6 respectively were released as II and III in the US. I know 1/2 had that rerelease for GBA but I'm still skeptical that so many people have played 2, which is obscure and somewhat gimpy.

FF Tactics is an amazing, amazing game.

--------------------
Agent
Member # 27
Profile #15
My first console gaming system was the N64, so I missed all the older stuff (though I do own the original gameboy). I love every single one of my N64 games, which I consider classics. (I didn't see Master Quest on that Zelda list)

You should have added Pokemon to that list. These are the Pokemon games I can think of off the top of my head:
Red
Blue
Yellow
Silver
Gold
Crystal
Saphire
Ruby
Emerald
Along with the other hundreds of pokemon related games like Pokemon Pinball, Pokemon Snap (another classic), Pokemon Stadium, etc.
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #16
So many games that I haven't played. Of course I haven't played console games since the early ones (early 1980's). You left out most of the serieses I started like Wizardry, Might and Magic, Ultima, and the whole line of Adventure.
Infiltrator
Member # 2836
Profile #17
Never played any of the games in the poll. A lot of them I haven't even heard of, let alone played. Should I be ashamed?

[ Sunday, October 29, 2006 20:38: Message edited by: The Stew Boy ]
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #18
It was a conscious choice to leave all those out. See above.

Master Quest is just a modified remake of other Zelda games, isn't it? I didn't include remakes, and good thing too, or there would be an extra 30 entries for Mario.

As for Pokemon, there are several problems. First, there aren't nearly as many games as it seems like since all the "color" games are several almost identical variants to one game (i.e., Red, Green, and Blue are all but identical, and Fire Red and Leaf Green are remakes of those). And again, see above. Predictable results. The series I included are interesting (exception: Gold Box) because they span different eras and are relatively recognizable to gamers of different ages and interests. They all span from the early to mid 80's up to the present day, 20-25 years of game releases.

--------------------
Dollop of Whipped Cream
Member # 391
Profile Homepage #19
quote:
Originally written by Frosted Cryodrayks:

I probably should have specified in the FF listings that FF 2 and 3 referred to the Japanese titles, since 4 and 6 respectively were released as II and III in the US. I know 1/2 had that rerelease for GBA but I'm still skeptical that so many people have played 2, which is obscure and somewhat gimpy.
1 & 2 were rereleased for PlayStation as well. I'm more skeptical about 3 than 2. 3 has [i]never[/i] been released outside of Japan before. (A DS version comes out this November) The only way to play it in English is with a fandubbed ROM. It's such a shame too. That is a very good game, second to IX on my favorites list.

--------------------
"Tyranicus is about the only one that still posts in the Nethergate Forum." —Randomizer
Spiderweb Chat Room
Shadow Vale - My site, home of the Spiderweb Chat Database, BoA Scenario Database, & the A1 Quest List, among other things.
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #20
Yes, 3 hasn't been officially released in English, but it gets a lot of love on the net. Truly a great game. Better balanced, I think, than any other FF, and it allows for a wider variety of interesting tactics and gameplay than any other FF (well, except FF Tactics). It would also get my vote for second-best NES music ever, second only to the oddly melodious Ultima 4 port.

2 on the other hand manages to be both too hard and too easy at the same time while encouraging mindless repetition.

--------------------
Dollop of Whipped Cream
Member # 391
Profile Homepage #21
Agreed. The only reason I ever finished 2 was because I wanted to say I had played all of them. :P

--------------------
Spiderweb Chat Room
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #22
Even 8?!?!

--------------------
Dollop of Whipped Cream
Member # 391
Profile Homepage #23
Unfortunately, yes. I regret it now. 8 was terrible, probably the worst of the lot. It was such a disappointment after 7. At least it was followed by the magnificence that is 9. :P

[ Monday, October 30, 2006 08:47: Message edited by: Tyranicus. ]

--------------------
Spiderweb Chat Room
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #24
I loved 9 when I started playing it (especially because I played it immediately after throwing 8 out the window in disgust). There are a lot of things about it that are really well designed, and it has great energy in the beginning. But that energy doesn't carry past the first part of the game, and the plot gets pretty ugly in parts, once you get past basic quests to the meat of the game. It also gets ridiculously easy after the first few quests... it wasn't well balanced.

I will always love 9 for the FMV of Vivi watching all the Black Mages fall out of the airship and die. And I will always hate it for the black hole of graphics and plot that is Amaranth. Also, Garnet is really annoying and stupid, but that has characterized every female lead outside of 6 and 7.

--------------------

Pages