Some Games Have Too Many Sequels

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Some Games Have Too Many Sequels
Shake Before Using
Member # 75
Profile #50
quote:
Originally written by Zeviz:

On that note, where can I find Gold Box games everybody keeps talking about in these threads? I tried downloading Pool of Radiance from some abandonware site, but it didn't work even in DosBox.
That's odd... gimme a bit.

Pool of Radiance loads up in DosBox fine for me, except I can't actually choose anything in the character creation menus. Bleh.

[ Friday, November 03, 2006 11:27: Message edited by: Imban ]
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #51
Hmm. Well, if you can get your hands on the IIgs version, there are perfectly good IIgs emulators available as well. I wouldn't go for the NES version; I don't have specific experience with it, but NES ports of computer RPGs tend to be butchered.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Agent
Member # 1934
Profile Homepage #52
Is DosBox very stable? There are some games I want to play, but my last emulator really screwed up.
I also hear that DosBox is a resource hog. Is that true too?

[ Friday, November 03, 2006 16:47: Message edited by: Andraste ]

--------------------
You acquire an item: Radio Free Foil
Nuke and Pave
Member # 24
Profile Homepage #53
quote:
Originally written by Imban:

quote:
Originally written by Zeviz:

On that note, where can I find Gold Box games everybody keeps talking about in these threads? I tried downloading Pool of Radiance from some abandonware site, but it didn't work even in DosBox.
That's odd... gimme a bit.

Pool of Radiance loads up in DosBox fine for me, except I can't actually choose anything in the character creation menus. Bleh.

That's the same problem I've had in all (2 or 3) versions I've tried. After fixing the config file I got as far as creating the first character, but then I am dumped back into first menu, with "create a character" as the only option again.

I guess I'll try Thuryl's suggestion next.

EDIT: Andraste, I don't know how good DosBox is, because my only experience with it so far hasn't been very successful. You can adjust the amount of CPU it takes, so theoretically it shouldn't be a resource hog.

EDIT2: Just to clarify, I have a PC. The reason I am using DoxBox is that many old games no longer work with Windows XP. However, if there is a Windows port somewhere (unlikely, but you never know) that could also be good.

[ Friday, November 03, 2006 18:21: Message edited by: Zeviz ]

--------------------
Be careful with a word, as you would with a sword,
For it too has the power to kill.
However well placed word, unlike a well placed sword,
Can also have the power to heal.
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #54
I wonder if it would work if I created a WfW box. Gawd. I wonder if I still have WfW diskettes. This should get interesting :)

--------------------
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:

Well, I'm at least pretty sure that Salmon is losing.

...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #55
quote:
Originally written by Andraste:

Is DosBox very stable? There are some games I want to play, but my last emulator really screwed up.
I also hear that DosBox is a resource hog. Is that true too?

Depends on what you want to run under emulation. Old RPGs shouldn't be problematic. I was able to run DosBox, AIM, and a web browser simultaneously without too many problems, but it did crash occasionally. For more demanding applications you'll need to close other programs and switch to full screen mode for decent performance; System Shock didn't run perfectly but it was playable. My computer is a couple of years old and by no means top-of-the-line even when it was new (1.25 GHz eMac).

--------------------
Dollop of Whipped Cream
Member # 391
Profile Homepage #56
Actually, I was never able to get DOSbox to perform satisfactorily until I got my MacBook Pro 2GHz. Other machines that I tried it on, including my Sentia 1.8GHz, lagged a bit on some games. It's quite odd how demanding DOSbox is, considering the specs it emulates. :P

--------------------
"Tyranicus is about the only one that still posts in the Nethergate Forum." —Randomizer
Spiderweb Chat Room
Shadow Vale - My site, home of the Spiderweb Chat Database, BoA Scenario Database, & the A1 Quest List, among other things.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #57
quote:
Originally written by Tyranicus.:

Actually, I was never able to get DOSbox to perform satisfactorily until I got my MacBook Pro 2GHz. Other machines that I tried it on, including my Sentia 1.8GHz, lagged a bit on some games. It's quite odd how demanding DOSbox is, considering the specs it emulates. :P
Emulating a computer is hard. With a console, you can approximate the real system's behaviour and add program-specific hacks and workarounds for where the approximations don't work, because you know there's only a finite number of games that have to run on it. With a computer, that sort of chicanery is impractical, so you have to emulate everything properly.

[ Friday, November 03, 2006 19:04: Message edited by: Thuryl ]

--------------------
By Committee
Member # 4233
Profile #58
Alright - so I got FFXII, and it's a pretty good time so far. Combat isn't as much of a travesty as the demo made it seem - in many ways, it's a lot like NWN or KotOR, with the potential to make the characters much, much more intelligent about it.
Agent
Member # 1934
Profile Homepage #59
Thanks for the responses. I don't think that I will be installing DosBox anytime soon, but I'll keep it in mind.
Right now I'm trying to get Thief Gold running on XP. That's enough of a challenge.

--------------------
You acquire an item: Radio Free Foil
The Establishment
Member # 6
Profile #60
FFXII looks like it's shaping up to be a good game. My roommate got it and he seems to like it a lot. I've been vaguely following the story thus far and it seems promising. Let's just say FFX was a joke...

[ Monday, November 06, 2006 16:55: Message edited by: *i ]

--------------------
Your flower power is no match for my glower power!
Posts: 3726 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Dollop of Whipped Cream
Member # 391
Profile Homepage #61
FFX wasn't [i]that[/i] bad. FFX2 was a joke. :P

--------------------
"Tyranicus is about the only one that still posts in the Nethergate Forum." —Randomizer
Spiderweb Chat Room
Shadow Vale - My site, home of the Spiderweb Chat Database, BoA Scenario Database, & the A1 Quest List, among other things.
Shock Trooper
Member # 125
Profile #62
Heh, I've heard that called "Yuna's Magical Hotpants Adventure," though I've never played it myself.

For Mario, SMB3 wins, since it's the first I played. More recently, I've played some of the original SMB and SMW, and I'm enjoying Yoshi's Island quite a bit.

I'm mostly through FFIV now, which is the first I've played; I plan to play others in the future, probably starting with VI. Playstations are somewhat trickier to emulate...

I don't have experience with the others, though I did play through Mega Man 2 once recently. I guess I should try Zelda sometime, as people seem to think they're good.

--------------------
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.
The Establishment
Member # 6
Profile #63
quote:
Originally written by Tyranicus.:

FFX wasn't [i]that[/i] bad. FFX2 was a joke. :P
True, although the combat system of FFX had much to be desired, in my opinion.

--------------------
Your flower power is no match for my glower power!
Posts: 3726 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #64
Wait, FFX had a combat system? I thought that was just the built-in screen saver!

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00
By Committee
Member # 4233
Profile #65
The one great thing about FFX was that status effects were actually pretty useful for the player, because whether they would work or not depended on a binary switch as opposed to some percentage-based chance of effectiveness (usually small). This (alas) doesn't seem to be the case in FFXII.

What I really like about XII is how the game harkens back to Tactics in its artistic and aural aesthetics. The plot also seems to have similar elements as well, though I'm only just starting to get to the point where the excretion hits the rotary oscillator.

Pages