God, I am so mad!

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: God, I am so mad!
Lifecrafter
Member # 3171
Profile Homepage #25
Yea, N64 was a beast. My love for Nintendo really died around the GameCube as it just didn't seem to have the same charm as earlier Nintendos.

Oh yea, Morrowind and Oblivion are both awesome. When each one came out I took like 2 weeks off of school. So worth it.
Shaper
Member # 7420
Profile Homepage #26
To be honest, I am not all that up to date on the Fallout 3 situation. Anyone have a link to something that might improve my outlook?

I think a third person shooter is the perfect direction for Starcraft to go in. Warcraft stole the MMORGP scene, so why can't Starcraft take over in the other side of the field? Even better: making it a first person shooter, it could end the reign of Call of Duty... or whatever 1st person shooter is the favorite these days. I'm no expert in that area, I’m still a fan of Wolfenstein.

--------------------
You lose.
By Committee
Member # 4233
Profile #27
I'm still a fan of Quake 1. :P

Starcraft 2 probably won't come around until Diablo 3 shows its head. I think there are just too many reasonably decent RPSs out right now - people seem to swear by Dawn of War - and Diablo 2 still has a very strong following despite being so long in the tooth.

The starcraft universe also wouldn't lend itself well to MMORPG, IMHO. CDEDBD wings? The zerg, as a race, doesn't lend itself well to individual thought, and there isn't enough diversity in the other races to make a for a compelling game playing experience.

A lot of the charm of Fallout was the writing and the combat system, neither of which would translate well into MMORPG.
Guardian
Member # 2238
Profile Homepage #28
The Elder Scrolls are all fantastic games for their type. I love them, but only for a couple days at a time, when I lose interest due to the lack of directed content.

Company of Heroes is considered the "it" RTS right about now, and with good reason. If you have the system (I know most of you don't), I really suggest it. If you can suffer through another WW2 RTS, make it this one. Interestinly, it was made by those responsible for the most recent "it" RTS, W40k: Dawn of War.

World of Starcraft would work the same way World of Warcraft works. Different setting, same gameplay. A Starcraft FPS would get lost in the crowd (another sci-fi shooter?). In my opinion, the sneaker/shooter was the way to go to get Starcraft out of the RTS genre. I wouldn't play it, but I'm sure many would.

--------------------
DEMON PLAY,
DEMON OUT!
Posts: 1582 | Registered: Wednesday, November 13 2002 08:00
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #29
Actually, although it's been a while since anyone checked, Macs and PCs are about even on these boards. What with some PCs probably being a little too old and some Macs being new enough to run Windows XP, there's probably a fair audience for that plug.

—Alorael, who can only wish that he could run Windows XP. That's something he really, really never thought he'd say.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
By Committee
Member # 4233
Profile #30
quote:
Originally written by demonslay3r:

World of Starcraft would work the same way World of Warcraft works.
I don't think it would work because so much of the power in the Starcraft universe is derived either from being a part of a hive-mind race or through technology - goliaths and carriers and siege tanks and such. WoW was able to make the transition because all of the units were (for the most part) members of one of the races, each with its own Diablo-ized skill set. In SC, you had terrans who were defined either by their equipment/vehicle or being ghosts, Protoss who were either zealots, dead zealots in tanks, templars, or dark templars, and the zerg, a mindless race configured in different ways. Not a lot of variety to build on.

In addition, it would involve building tons of different worlds, as opposed to one world, and that probably would be tricky to implement well.

[ Wednesday, October 11, 2006 13:59: Message edited by: Drew ]
Shaper
Member # 7420
Profile Homepage #31
Blizzard is probably the only game company ever that consistently makes sequels to already legendary games that are actually superior. I have little doubt that any kind of Diablo III or Starcraft 2 would be amazing.

Starcraft 2: It doesn't matter how many RTSs are out there now, Starcraft was so damned popular people would flock to a newer better version of it, and I'm sure Blizzard would deliver. As for an MMORPG, that would be a terrible idea, especially if it used the same engine as World of Warcraft. Why would Blizzard want to create competition for its own game, anyway? I really think a shooter game is the way to go for the Starcraft series, and it has a big enough fan base that it would be successful no matter what.

Fallout 3: Who says the writing and combat system wouldn't translate into an MMORPG? I could make it work, I am the Emperor.

--------------------
You lose.
By Committee
Member # 4233
Profile #32
Average number of players on an MMORPG server + turn-based combat = a total drag.

[ Wednesday, October 11, 2006 14:09: Message edited by: Drew ]
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #33
Turn-based MMORPGs have problems, and Fallout humor is largely dependent on not encountering the kinds of mouth-breathers who somehow seem to outnumber everyone online. Well, okay, Fallout could work with that, I guess, but somehow it wouldn't be the same if everyone were like that.

—Alorael, who thinks part of Blizzard's skill is in not churning out sequels when they can't improve. If they had a bigger, better, second Starcraft to be made, they'd make it. The fact that they aren't (as far as we know) probably means they don't have the ideas yet. The fact that the FPS adaptation was canned suggests that it wasn't such a great idea in the first place.
Guardian
Member # 2238
Profile Homepage #34
quote:
Originally written by Victim Rich Environment:

Actually, although it's been a while since anyone checked, Macs and PCs are about even on these boards. What with some PCs probably being a little too old and some Macs being new enough to run Windows XP, there's probably a fair audience for that plug.
I was referring to the actual hardware, ie the video cards and processors. From what I've gathered most people here don't have the newest hardware.

Also it's interesting that you mentioned Blizzard not churning out sequels for the extra bucks. Yes, Blizzard has the power to do just that and to make more money than they already are (sales figures for WoW?... wow). Thankfully for those who care, Blizzard is being the better man and making each game the best they can.

But yea that new Zelda looks fun.

--------------------
DEMON PLAY,
DEMON OUT!
Lifecrafter
Member # 6700
Profile Homepage #35
quote:
Originally written by Victim Rich Environment:

—Alorael, who can only wish that he could run Windows XP. That's something he really, really never thought he'd say.
:D

EDIT: For the sake of making this post relevant, I too am greatly disappointed in the Nintendo corporation for delaying the latest chapter in the Zelda saga.

WoS as an MMRPG would only work if they made it something other than a blatant copy of WoW.

--------------------
The Silent Assassin once used the Mac os when on his vacation in Detroit.
He says that he understands why so many people are switching to Linux.

[ Wednesday, October 11, 2006 20:40: Message edited by: Lenar, Inc. ]

--------------------
-Lenar Labs
What's Your Destiny?

Ushmushmeifa: Lenar's power is almighty and ineffable.

All hail lord Noric, god of... well, something important, I'm sure.
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #36
quote:
Originally written by demonslay3r:

Thankfully for those who care, Blizzard is being the better man and making each game the best they can.
Now, what I'd been led to understand by friends who are subject to the addiction that is WoW, is that Blizzard just works at making patches that almost fix stuff, but leave enough complaint room for another patch and to keep people online waiting for it.

Correct me in the highly likely event that I'm wrong.

--------------------
Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.

I hate undead. I really, really, really, really hate undead. With a passion.
Shaper
Member # 7420
Profile Homepage #37
quote:
Originally written by Ephesos:

Blizzard just works at making patches that almost fix stuff, but leave enough complaint room for another patch and to keep people online waiting for it.[/QB]
It certainly seems that way sometimes. But really, patches almost always include new content, so new bugs are unavoidable. People will always complain in a manner that makes things seem worse than they really are.

--------------------
You lose.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #38
Plus, there's the fact that a lot of those patches are related to game balance. Achieving game balance is hard.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #39
Plus there's the fact that people will always complain. Always. Any fix is going to make some people who were happy unhappy and some people who were originally unsatisfied still won't be.

—Alorael, who should clarify that he mostly wishes he had a Mac capable of running Windows XP. Whether or not he'd actually buy Windows is a bridge he'll cross or burn (or both) when he comes to it. He may have to turn to Q and outrageous difficulty just to refrain from touching the spawn of Microsoft.
Guardian
Member # 2238
Profile Homepage #40
You've all nailed it on the head. As you may know, I'm a veteren WoW player, and I've seen it a million times. Any changes to the game make people mad, but not changing the game makes them mad. It's almost a lose-lose situation.

However, as any player with a brain knows, it IS for the better. The non-fanboi's aren't the ones that complain. It's the ones that troll the forums and caps-lock harsh words everytime a new idea is presented.

--------------------
DEMON PLAY,
DEMON OUT!

Pages