Artwork request - Encyclopedia Logo

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Artwork request - Encyclopedia Logo
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #100
Well, it might make more of a difference if Slarty and I weren't the only non-Aran contributors.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
Encyclopedia Ermariana - Trapped in the Closet
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Lifecrafter
Member # 6700
Profile Homepage #101
quote:
Originally written by Drakefyre:

Well, it might make more of a difference if Slarty and I weren't the only non-Aran contributors.
Some of us are working on that.

By the way, Aran, I keep getting an error when trying to access the EE boards:

quote:
Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_VARIABLE, expecting ';'
--------------------
The Silent Assassin just blew a hole through the topside roof.
And now it smells like peppermint in here. Great.

[ Sunday, October 01, 2006 21:42: Message edited by: Robert Daniel Oliver ]

--------------------
-Lenar Labs
What's Your Destiny?

Ushmushmeifa: Lenar's power is almighty and ineffable.

All hail lord Noric, god of... well, something important, I'm sure.
Agent
Member # 5814
Profile #102
quote:
Originally written by Drakefyre:

Be nice!
quote:
Originally written by Lenar, Inc.:

quote:
Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_VARIABLE, expecting ';'

He knows. But I don't think Aran likes his name being linked (basically, Google-able) to his internet activities. And he's going to work on it tomorrow.

[ Sunday, October 01, 2006 21:42: Message edited by: Robert Daniel Oliver ]

--------------------
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon
Well, I'm at least pretty

Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #103
The first of the two new sword and crown variations is now the best of the lot. I can't even tell the difference between the first two caves, but the third one has a few visible changes. I like them all.

—Alorael, who doesn't think the Avernum sun is horrible. It's just isometric.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Agent
Member # 3364
Profile Homepage #104
I really like the cave logo myself. Personally I think the edges should be straight with an outline and shadow. I'd like to see it in greyscale, too, just because I think it would match better. Or maybe have everything but the title faded to look like a background. That would be easier on the eyes.

--------------------
"Even the worst Terror from Hell can be transformed to a testimony from Heaven!" - Rev. David Wood 6\23\05

"Do all the good you can, by all the means you can, in all the ways you can, in all the places you can, at all the times you can, to all the people you can, as long as you ever can." - John Wesley
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #105
Board is fixed. Filepath is stealth-edited out. And in a short time, the user name will be changed so the filepath will be quite okay.

quote:
Yes, and the dilemma is that the three of us (the most prolific contributors) like different logos.

Basically, the Cave and Surface is an awesome artwork, but there is no way it could ever be used as an icon. The detail distracts from the content of the text, and it's not easily remembered or recognized. I'm confused that Slarty made that very argument against the Sun and Crown thing, because that one is far less conspicuous.

At best, the Cave and Surface could be used as a kind of title picture - on the front page of the Encyclopedia. When it comes to something displayed on every page, it won't work.

With that one out of the competition, what remains are the Crossed Swords and the Sun and Crown. I can't say which - both have their merits, and their faults. TGM's sun is way better. ADoS' composition balances the sun and crown more.

Meanwhile, have any of you considered making the crown just a bit more like this?

IMAGE(http://stuff.ermarian.net/arancaytar/images/sw/crown.png)

Not exactly, of course, but perhaps experiment with straight lines. Especially in TGM's proposal, the elements need to be distinct because they are so close - perhaps a straight crown could contrast with a round sun. But that's just brainstorming.

[ Sunday, October 01, 2006 22:12: Message edited by: Robert Daniel Oliver ]

--------------------
Encyclopaedia ErmarianaForum ArchivesForum StatisticsRSS [Topic / Forum]
My BlogPolarisI eat novels for breakfast.
Polaris is dead, long live Polaris.
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair.
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #106
Umm, Slarty and I both like the cave/surface one.

Also, I don't see how you can rule it out so quickly - it fits great in the corner of the pages, and what more do you need?

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
====
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #107
Well, technically, all of them fit - size-wise. Or what did you mean? Because I'm not really convinced it fits in any other aspect than size...

--------------------
Lifecrafter
Member # 6388
Profile #108
Aran, blogomite son of a parapsychologist from a country with humanity beaten into it mere decades ago, is paralyzed by that most fashionable of fears in this age of Wikipedian 'neutrality': the fear of an opinion voiced without some fraudulent kowtow to balance.

In this case, it involves periodic and unnecessary design suggestions given to a creative group that have already stopped working in recognition of a logo he does not want to use.

Had he merely said 'I do not want to use the split surface logo', or even better given specific reasons why, you would presumably be working on new ones instead of promoting that one.

But he is soliciting a logo for a Wiki, and German. One can only hope for so much.
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #109
quote:
Originally written by Robert Daniel Oliver:

quote:
Yes, and the dilemma is that the three of us (the most prolific contributors) like different logos.

Yes, what Drakey said. We both vote for cave/surface.
...That said, I hate democracy, or even oligarchy; EE has run quite smoothly under a benevolent dictatorship of Aran and I see no reason to change that. You do ask for and listen to advice from others, which is one of the reasons it's been so smooth. So I'm content to just let you make the decision, weighing the evidence, choosing the one you think fits best.
...That said, you did implement that hideous dark blue and yellow color scheme... ;)

quote:
Basically, the Cave and Surface is an awesome artwork, but there is no way it could ever be used as an icon. The detail distracts from the content of the text, and it's not easily remembered or recognized. I'm confused that Slarty made that very argument against the Sun and Crown thing, because that one is far less conspicuous.
No, no. The detail of TGM's first logo was distracting because it (1) looked a lot like the text it would be near, and (2) had a confluence of lines that is disorienting for physiological reasons. I don't have that problem with his second logo, at least not the all- or mostly-silver versions. And the cave logo doesn't have that problem. It's colorful and busy, but the colors and their boundaries are soft, not hard (unlike the harsh orange of the TGM sun). Also, it is an elegant microcosmal representation of EE's subject matter. If you want something that is symbolic of mediawiki, why not just go with the old logo? Meh.

quote:
At best, the Cave and Surface could be used as a kind of title picture - on the front page of the Encyclopedia. When it comes to something displayed on every page, it won't work.
I disagree, but I wouldn't object to it being a title/template picture, either.

Meanwhile, what happened to the sword through the crown? I want an answer! This is supposed to be an accurate encyclopedia, not a mishmash of haphazardly assembled lore.

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #110
quote:
...That said, you did implement that hideous dark blue and yellow color scheme..
Hey hey, light on dark reduces glare and is easier on the eyes! :P

---

And indeed, what happened to "Sword through Crown" being the Empire's logo? I looked for it, and wasn't able to find it on the Encyclopedia. And it was not anywhere in the games, to my knowledge. And Riibu didn't have an idea about it either.

So where did you get that from, Slarty?

---

quote:
blogomite son of a parapsychologist from a country with humanity beaten into it mere decades ago
Sigged.

[ Monday, October 02, 2006 00:02: Message edited by: Robert Daniel Oliver ]

--------------------
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #111
I got it from Alec, actually, who mentioned it on page 1 of this thread. The reason why it sounded right to me is probably that the earlier games refer usually to a "sword and crown" symbol. There is, as usual, inconsistent retconning...

Exile 2:
"On the wall is the sword and crown symbol of the Empire."
"He wears long silk robes, with the sword and crown symbol of the Empire on the chest."
"Out here, in the middle of nowhere,
someone has placed a fresco of the symbol of the Empire on the cave wall here. The design is a horizontal sword over a crown."

Avernum 2:
"He wears long, silk robes, with the crown symbol of the Empire on the chest."
"On this wall, out in the middle of nowhere, someone has created a small fresco. It depicts the crown symbol of the Empire, with a horizontal sword under it."
"This storeroom is filled with empty sacks and open crates and barrels, many with the sword and crown symbol of the Empire."

On the other hand, maybe we shouldn't trust what the game has to say about symbols...

Exile 1:
"The door in front of you has the hated symbol of the Empire military on it. Strange. Very strange."

Avernum 1:
"The door in front of you has a symbol on it. You recognize it instantly, and when you do, a chill feeling grips your heart. It is the sun symbol of Emperor Hawthorne."

Riiiight.

--------------------
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #112
Er, no. "Emperor Hawthorne" may well have had a different crest than the Empire. This is a land of several imperial families - if we can somehow assume that the Hawthornes are a later branch of House Sol, then their family crest would make sense.

I'm rather sure Jeff didn't think that far, but we can always make assumptions.

As for the sword... It could *perhaps* be added beneath the sun in TGM's. As a bonus, this would set off the imbalance between the sun and crown - although I still think the crown should be enlarged quite a bit.

I made a page that shows all logos ever submitted. Non-interactive, however.

[ Monday, October 02, 2006 01:44: Message edited by: Robert Daniel Oliver ]

--------------------
Warrior
Member # 7254
Profile Homepage #113
quote:

so yes, TGM, you can blame me for saying "on top of", when "in front of" would have been clearer :P
i thought you actually meant that "wow, that's amazing!" after sending you the logo, and hoped i was going in the right direction with it. :P

IMAGE(http://img162.imageshack.us/img162/4161/eermarianahahzy7.png)

[ Monday, October 02, 2006 05:17: Message edited by: ValenciaRaptor ]
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #114
And I did. But even amazing things can be improved. :P

ENkulopadia
ermaAri...

Is that a language? The mid-word capitalization sort of makes me doubt it is Finnish. :P

--------------------
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #115
quote:

Er, no. "Emperor Hawthorne" may well have had a different crest than the Empire. This is a land of several imperial families - if we can somehow assume that the Hawthornes are a later branch of House Sol, then their family crest would make sense.

*cough*

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Cartographer
Member # 1851
Profile Homepage #116
Well, it's not Finnish, just so you know. Now where's the new one he showed me...

--------------------
"I'm not crazy!"
"Well, whatever. Maybe you just ate something really questionable, or perhaps someone hit you on the head with something large, blunt and heavy just now. By the way..." Gil nudged Grul pointedly.

Ooh! Homepage - Blog - Geneforge, +2, +3 - My Elfwood Gallery and DevArt page
So many strange ones around. Don't you think?
Warrior
Member # 7254
Profile Homepage #117
polaris.
Agent
Member # 3364
Profile Homepage #118
Because I wanted to see what it would look like. Credit to ADoS.

IMAGE(http://www.geocities.com/tracihedlund/MyGraphics/Lightenedadoscopy.jpg) IMAGE(http://www.geocities.com/tracihedlund/MyGraphics/greyscaleados.jpg)

They're supposed to be transparent, but looks like I haven't figured that out yet I guess. :/

--------------------
"Even the worst Terror from Hell can be transformed to a testimony from Heaven!" - Rev. David Wood 6\23\05

"Do all the good you can, by all the means you can, in all the ways you can, in all the places you can, at all the times you can, to all the people you can, as long as you ever can." - John Wesley
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #119
Thuryl: The entire Encyclopedia is fanwank. That's pretty much its mission.

quote:
Originally written by The Green Dragon:

Well, it's not Finnish, just so you know. Now where's the new one he showed me...
quote:
Originally written by ValenciaRaptor:

polaris.
Which is here, because I don't think I've ever seen you there. It's been some time since that link appeared above a sig divider...

[ Monday, October 02, 2006 05:56: Message edited by: Robert Daniel Oliver ]

--------------------
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #120
quote:

Well, obviously he didn't think that far, considering that House Sol is a total fabrication, never mentioned in the games. I think the line I quoted must be a mistake. Obviously Micah et al would have been aware of this irony wrt the Avernum crest, and I can't believe nobody would comment on it, ever.

--------------------
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #121
Seeing all of the logos side by side on that page makes it completely obvious that there are only a few choices: Alo's last one with the Vahnatai, the third one with silver crown and silver letters, and the cave/surface one.

The cave/surface one is by far the best. It shows the encyclopedia's mission, it looks really, really good, and is basically perfect.

Those other two are okay, but far behind the cave/surface.

The others are all terrible and I would much rather have that space blank than have one of those logos up there.

Also, from Wichita State's psychology department:
quote:
Studies examining the reading performance of older adults have found that colored text on a colored background typically reduces their reading performance compared to reading black text on a white background (Charness & Bosman, 1990). Moreover, research has shown that dark text on light backgrounds is generally superior to light text on dark backgrounds (Tobas, 1987)
Web design 101: light text on a dark background is sooo 12-year-old's first webpage.

--------------------
====
====
Warrior
Member # 7254
Profile Homepage #122
and cyan is horrible as a background-color. :)
Shaper
Member # 7420
Profile Homepage #123
Well, in that case, here is your ideal logo:

IMAGE(http://img518.imageshack.us/img518/9009/crapos7.gif)

--------------------
You lose.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #124
Call me crazy, but I'd rather stick to Exile/Avernum canon, fuzzy as it may be, for the logo of the EE. Of course, I'm also not an encyclopedia contributor because I don't want to wade through two conflicting sets of history and the added complexity of strangely named fan emperors.

Anyway, given the difficulty of royal and imperial insignia, the only obviously acceptable symbolism is surface and caves. ADoS has that covered nicely. Perhaps the only solution is for the dissenters to be banished into the underworld of discussion pages where they can create their own kingdom and rise up against their blogomite opressor! It's time for Aran to enact his own Exile plan in *EEP 3.

—Alorael, who still thinks TGM's logo is the most professional and the most wiki-ish and that ADoS's is the most appropriate. He would also like to petition for the removal of the comb-bearing vahnatai from the random logo lineup.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00

Pages