Notice: ermarian.net down for maintainance NOW

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Notice: ermarian.net down for maintainance NOW
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #0
I just made an account at the new web host, which will be enabled tomorrow. Once that is done, I will need a few days to transfer files, databases and domain records, after which the site will work as before.

Once the account is enabled and I can upload files, the current site will be locked to ensure that the transfer goes okay. This includes the Encyclopedia, PPP and Statistics, but also the FTP space and Thralni's site.

So if there's anything you wish to look at, change, download or upload, do it in the next 24 hours or do it next week.

[ Monday, September 25, 2006 12:17: Message edited by: Robert Daniel Oliver ]

--------------------
Encyclopaedia ErmarianaForum ArchivesForum StatisticsRSS [Topic / Forum]
My BlogPolarisI eat novels for breakfast.
Polaris is dead, long live Polaris.
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair.
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #1
The new account has been enabled, so I'll move over the subdomains in alphabetical order.

Note that because not all of this stuff is clearly separated, the entire site will be taken offline for the whole process.

Watch this list for progress. I've only listed the sites that are actually being used:

http://ermarian.net FINISHEDhttp://arancaytar.ermarian.net FINISHEDhttp://encyclopedia.ermarian.net FINISHEDhttp://endeavor.ermarian.net FINISHEDhttp://pied-piper.ermarian.net FINISHEDhttp://stuff.ermarian.net FINISHEDhttp://thralni.ermarian.net FINISHEDhttp://feeds.ermarian.net FINISHEDhttp://irc.ermarian.net FINISHEDThere are a lot of other subdomains, but they're all either experimental (the Blades Forge), long unused (TCoA) or just not SW-related.
Edit: PPP is the biggest part, really. I spent twenty minutes waiting for it to get zipped, then almost ten minutes for the transfer, and now another twenty minutes for the extraction. It's about 1 Gig in total.
---
Update:

All files have been successfully transferred and the subdomains set up at the new place. The next step is to transfer the databases, which will take some time.

[ Wednesday, September 27, 2006 04:35: Message edited by: Robert Daniel Oliver ]

--------------------
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #2
Update:

Databases are as good as transferred. I just need to change the configuration files of all those sites to point to the new MySQL server.

Also, the DNS record now points to the DreamHost nameservers. This means that once the records propagate (which can take anywhere from a few hours to a few days, depending on whether you are using a crappy DNS server), you will see the new site.

--

I've sent an email to everyone I'm hosting (which where this board is concerned = Thralni) with the new FTP/MySQL info. Note that this can't be used until your DNS gives you the new server (see above).

The public webspace will be reachable at:

Host: stuff.ermarian.net
User: weather
Password: JTLyk7QJ

Please note once again that not only is the webspace neither private (everyone can see your files) nor safe (everyone can delete your files) nor unrestricted (webspace is limited to 250 MB, and if the ToS are violated it will vanish faster than you can say "liability").

Finally, if by some odd chance you are able to access the site right now, you are still using the old database. This means that if you change anything, it will mysteriously disappear in a few hours.

It also means that if you registered an account at my blog (hey, Tyran), you'll have to do that again in a bit.

--------------------
Dollop of Whipped Cream
Member # 391
Profile Homepage #3
Yeah, I figured as much when I got a 403 error while trying to login. :P

--------------------
"Tyranicus is about the only one that still posts in the Nethergate Forum." —Randomizer
Spiderweb Chat Room
Shadow Vale - My site, home of the Spiderweb Chat Database, BoA Scenario Database, & the A1 Quest List, among other things.
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #4
We're all set.

The sites have once again been enabled.

Some of the database configuration will take a while to clean up (especially the Endeavor, where I made an awful mess of it). But I've revoked all rights on the old database, so at least now you can be sure that if you do access a database, it's the right one.

--------------------
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #5
So does my site actually work yet? I received your email about the new login details, but it says the host is still the same. Does that mean that "thralni.ermarian.net" is still the domain of my website? When i try to access it now, it says that, except for some things, all is "forbidden on this server."

I'm confused.

--------------------
Play and rate my scenarios:

Where the rivers meet
View my upcoming scenario: The Nephil Search: Escape.

Give us your drek!
Agent
Member # 6581
Profile Homepage #6
Also, Endeavor is not working for me. Only blank pages. And the Stuff is forbidden.

Forbidden

You don't have permission to access / on this server.

Additionally, a 403 Forbidden error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

--------------------
Download Geneforge 4: Rebellion

You have 6 posts. Nobody cares what you think. - Thuryl

Wikipedia may be your friend, but UBB is not. - Dikiyoba
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #7
http://thralni.ermarian.net works, as do all sites not mentioned below. If you see the "server has moved" notice, you need to wait a day or two for your DNS to update.

Stuff will stay forbidden. There are a few security issues I need to solve first.

Endeavor is broken until the database configuration is cleaned up. This will take at least a day.

Ditto for PPP, although the clean-up will only take an hour or so there.

Encyclopedia has a problem with .htacess and mod_rewrite and such. I'll just have to see how I can fix this.

---

Please note I'm currently "flying blind" because my own DNS hasn't yet updated. The only way I can look at the new site is by using lynx on the web server itself (I got shell access at last). When I can actually look at what I'm doing, I'll be able to fix this much more easily.

[ Tuesday, September 26, 2006 05:04: Message edited by: Robert Daniel Oliver ]

--------------------
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #8
And EE says:

The page isn't redirecting properly
Firefox has detected that the server is redirecting the request for this address in a way that will never complete.

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #9
I started fixing the Endeavor yesterday evening. Some things now work; most still doesn't. The endeavor and the feeds are currently the only thing I can see, so the rest will have to wait.

Edit: It doesn't help that the new host requires the use of the curl module instead of file(), which means I have to rewrite everything that is connected to fetching data from Spiderweb. Which is a lot of things. :P

[ Tuesday, September 26, 2006 22:08: Message edited by: Robert Daniel Oliver ]

--------------------
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #10
So, no stuff right now?

--------------------
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:

Well, I'm at least pretty sure that Salmon is losing.

Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #11
No.

I'm still waiting for a response on how to turn off server-side scripting. Until I can do that, anyone with access to the server could use PHP to really — things up for me (and I'd get the blame).

But the Feed works once again:

http://feeds.ermarian.net/spiderweb/spiderweb.rss

Edit: And so, with some tweaking, does the Baghdad Burning feed, although you probably have never seen it.

I'm getting the hang of this cURL thing.

--

Edit: Making good progress with the Endeavor. Almost half the nodes now work as they should - and I've taken the time to get rid of most of the rubbish code I wrote back then. It's amazing how bad my php code was less than half a year ago...

Edit:

My MediaWiki installation is mostly messed up, and I can't figure out how to clean it. I'm trying a reinstall - and an upgrade to 1.7.1.

They specifically recommend against this (changing hosts and upgrading), but I have it all backed up in any case. So let's see.

Edit: That seems to work.

I'll get around to restoring skin changes, the /wiki/ thing and the images folder later. Now for some food.

Edit:

This is becoming a blog. Ew. Anyway, the Encyclopedia works as intended now. All links to it (/wiki/Article) work as they did before - and slightly better, since I used the official workaround at mediawiki.org instead of the hack I'd come up with. Images are also restored.

Only the skins need to be meddled with slightly.

[ Wednesday, September 27, 2006 03:30: Message edited by: Robert Daniel Oliver ]

--------------------
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #12
http://irc.ermarian.net is now once again up and running (It hasn't been since Websitesource shut it down).

The next site in line to be fixed is PPP.

--------------------
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #13
Edit: PPP works.
--

http://stuff.ermarian.net is available now. Technically. While good with CMS software and shell access, Dreamhost absolutely sucks when it comes to FTP and subdomains.

From now on, when you upload files, you need to put them in the folder /public/ in order to make them show up.

While browsing, you will occasionally see a non-existant subfolder "/files/" in the directory path on the site. Whenever you link to a resource on stuff.ermarian.net be absolutely sure to remove it. Don't link to http://stuff.ermarian.net/files/example, but always to http://stuff.ermarian.net/example. The former may seem to work, but it isn't reliable.

--

Edit: Filetype icons are back.

[ Thursday, September 28, 2006 07:58: Message edited by: Robert Daniel Oliver ]

--------------------
Agent
Member # 6581
Profile Homepage #14
Sorry for ressurection, but I find that the Posting Ranks (the link in my sig) aren't working right. Just look at the post's count.

--------------------
Download Geneforge 4: Rebellion

You have 6 posts. Nobody cares what you think. - Thuryl

Wikipedia may be your friend, but UBB is not. - Dikiyoba
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #15
Also, some of the PPP still returns that error which produces a line of code that includes the path to stealing Aran's true identity.

:eek:

--------------------
quote:

Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #16
The Endeavor hasn't updated for a few days, but it's still presumably working since it's been updated after Aran finished his tinkering.

—Alorael, who guess he should stop counting on the Endeavor to keep track of his moniker changes.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #17
I've actually started to wonder if Aran has finally been captured by the space aliens.

He always seemed overly concerned about such things.

--------------------
quote:

Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #18
It just means we'll all be surprised on the 17th.

Dikiyoba.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #19
You really think Aran hasn't automated the 17th updates by now? It was just a small step from the AIM bots to Ermarian bots.

—Alorael, who bets Aran actually did leave back when he said he would. What came back was not Aran. What came back was a work in progress, and it's progressing quite nicely, isn't it?
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #20
I meant that certain spammish individuals would be surprised to discover their position and exact number of posts on the 17th, not that there wouldn't be anything on the 17th because Arancaytar had been captured by space aliens. I have more faith in the Ermarian bot than that!

Dikiyoba also suspects that Arancaytar had an abduction bot ready for when the space aliens came. In fact, he probably has a bot for every aspect of his life--the Runescape bot, the blog bot, the take-college-finals bot, the steal-Dikiyoba's-gimmick bot, the Cthulhu-worshipping bot, the Big Brother bot, the NationStates bot, and the Aranbot to keep track of them all. The real Arancaytar is probably off frolicking in innocence and bliss somewhere. Or else working as a powerful wizard in some fantasy world.
Lifecrafter
Member # 6700
Profile Homepage #21
quote:
Originally written by Dikiyoba:

Dikiyoba also suspects that Arancaytar had an abduction bot ready for when the space aliens came. In fact, he probably has a bot for every aspect of his life--the Runescape bot, the blog bot, the take-college-finals bot, the steal-Dikiyoba's-gimmick bot, the Cthulhu-worshipping bot, the Big Brother bot, the NationStates bot, and the Aranbot to keep track of them all. The real Arancaytar is probably off frolicking in innocence and bliss somewhere. Or else working as a powerful wizard in some fantasy world.
So wait... which bot came up with Alorael, then?

--------------------
The Silent Assassin is not amused.

--------------------
-Lenar Labs
What's Your Destiny?

Ushmushmeifa: Lenar's power is almighty and ineffable.

All hail lord Noric, god of... well, something important, I'm sure.
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #22
Spiderbot here, reporting on the trouble with the Ermarianbot.

PPP has had its third redesign this year. It mostly works okay now; I'll tell the Piperbot to switch off non-critical warning messages, which can sometimes come up.

Endeavor not working is news to me. It's automatized apart from the bit on the seventeenth (and yes, I made some plans for that too), and Ermarianbot doesn't check it too often. He'll do that now.

Alorael and the Motraxbot constructed each other. Do not question how.

End of automated transmission.

--------------------
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #23
Hey folks, guess what I forgot to do today!

And I knew I had this itching feeling of something having to be done today. :rolleyes:

But at least I fixed the problem with the auto-updater. Now if only it could automatically do the bulk update on the seventeenth, too.

This way, it will just have to wait another day. It's not as if it's the first time this happened.

--------------------
Dollop of Whipped Cream
Member # 391
Profile Homepage #24
Will you tally the posts from today as part of this month or next month? If you put them in this month, it will skew the numbers for both October and November slightly. :P

Btw, Aran, don't you check your guestbook? Respond to my question! :P

--------------------
"Tyranicus is about the only one that still posts in the Nethergate Forum." —Randomizer
Spiderweb Chat Room
Shadow Vale - My site, home of the Spiderweb Chat Database, BoA Scenario Database, & the A1 Quest List, among other things.

Pages