Walking with Spiderwebbers

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Walking with Spiderwebbers
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #0
As some of you may remember, Slartucker willed me the "stupid, pointless, but nonetheless incisive analogies" when he left. So I've put together a set of comparisons. The fact that the title of this topic is a variation on Walking with Dinosaurs should tell you what this set of analogies is about: dinosaurs and other prehistoric creatures of the Mesozoic Era.

Obviously, I couldn't do everyone. But if you can think of a dinosaur that you or someone else should have and have a good reason for it, I'll gladly add it to the list.

Slartucker -- Segnosaurus
Segnosaurus was a rather peculiar dinosaur, and Slartucker is a rather peculiar person. As an herbivorous theropod, it makes for interesting classification, just like Slartucker made categorizing Spiderwebbers interesting. And for some inexplicable reason, it reminds me of a cow.

Jumpin' Salmon -- Baryonyx
Based on its crocodile-like jaws, large number of teeth, and large claw on each hand, paleontologists believe that Baryonyx was the fisherman of the dinosaurs.

Saunders -- Pteranodon
Like a Pteranodon soaring boldly above all the land creatures, Saunders stays above the fray at Spiderweb and fears nothing.

Lenar Labs -- Velociraptor and Deinonychus
Deinonychus and Velociraptor are two closely related dinosaurs. In fact, in the entire Jurassic Park series, the two species are essentially combined into one creature. In The Lost World: Jurassic Park, a pack of these creatures ambush the expedition, silently killing many of them in a such a way that it seems less like hunting and more like assassination.

Alorael -- Allosaurus
Allosaurus was exceedingly numerous, just like Alorael's posts. Like Alorael, it has many names attached to it--Antrodemus, Apatodon, Creosaurus, Epanterias, Labrosaurus, Poekilopleuron, and a few others. Also, Allosaurus means "different lizard," and Alorael is certainly different.

Tyranicus -- Tyrannosaurus
There is a noted similarity between the two names. But the similarities run a little deeper than that. The large, lumbering Tyrannosaurus was king of the dinosaurs and the overweight Tyranicus is the ruler of the Spiderweb chats.

Arancaytar -- Triceratops
Triceratops must have been the Big Brother of the prehistoric world, because twice in my life, I have seen robotic Triceratops that seemed like they were watching me.

Ephesos -- Weta
Ephesos likes giant intelligent friendly talking roaches and crickets. Both cockroaches and crickets evolved before the Mesozoic Era. However, the weta looks like a cross between a cricket and giant cockroach. Plus, as a living fossil, there's no need to worry about it coming back as undead.

Synergy -- Stenonychosaurus
S is for Synergy and for his speculation and his search for deeper meanings. S is also for Stenonychosaurus (now technically Troodon), which Dale Russell speculated might have evolved into a dinosauroid intelligent enough to search for those deeper meanings had it not gone extinct.

Alec -- Hadrosaurus
With Alec's belligerent attitude towards others, what better dinosaur for him to have than Hadrosaurus, since its discovery eventually led to the Bone Wars between Edward Drinker Cope and Othniel Charles Marsh? The Bone Wars are as well-known for the personal attacks and all-around nastiness as they are for the fossils.

MagmaDragoon -- Wannanosaurus
When I first saw this name, the words "wanna know" jumped out at me, making it perfect for the inquisitive MagmaDragoon and his constant questions.

Delicious Vlish -- Megazostrodon
Delicious Vlish likes to point out that vlish are mammals, so he gets to be what was possibly the first one. Better yet, Megazostrodon was a tiny, shrew-like creature that small theropods probably found to be quite delicious.

Nicothodes -- Compsognathus
Nicothodes is cute, clearly has many friends, and people who think she is cute tend to die slow and painful deaths. In The Lost World: Jurassic Park, someone is fooled into thinking that a lone, cute Compsognathus is harmless. That's when the rest of the pack attacks and kills him slowly and painfully.

Thralni -- Archaeopteryx
Thralni is obsessed with chickens and has a strong interest in flight. Although Archaeopteryx wasn't quite the size of a chicken, this very early bird was capable of flight.

Dintiradan -- Albertosaurus
Sure, Tyrannosaurus may have ruled most of western North America. But Albertosaurus ruled part of what is now Alberta. Also, there is some evidence that Albertosaurus traveled in packs. Coming across a pack of Albertosaurus would be truly terrifying indeed.

Spring -- Hypsilophodon
The Hypsilophodon is a very springy dinosaur. When it was first discovered, it was drawn incorrectly, leading paleontologists to believe that it lived in trees and hopped among the branches. In DinoPark Tycoon, Hypsilophodon does absolutely nothing but jump up and down.

Zeviz -- Megalosaurus
I must give credit where credit is due. Zeviz was the first to look over all of these descriptions and provide feedback on them, before I was certain I would actually create this thread. Therefore, he gets to be Megalosaurus, the first dinosaur to be described--in 1824, before the term dinosaur had even been coined.

Dikiyoba -- Saurolophus
Saurolophus fossils are frequently found in Mongolia, just like Dikiyoba frequently posts here. Ducky, a Saurolophus from The Land Before Time, has a distinctive speech gimmick and had the incorrect gender listed at Wikipedia for a while. Plus, since Dikiyoba is wearing a baseball cap in all photos, it's only fair that Dikiyoba be a hadrosaurid, or duck-billed dinosaur.
Agent
Member # 1934
Profile Homepage #1
I loved it when the Compsognathus killed that one jerk. They are my heroes.

:Edit: Now I want to play Dino Park Tycoon. Curse you Windows!

:Edit2: Got it, but it freezes after the loading sequence.

[ Saturday, September 23, 2006 23:43: Message edited by: Andraste ]

--------------------
You acquire an item: Radio Free Foil
Infiltrator
Member # 2836
Profile #2
I missed out again.

[ Saturday, September 23, 2006 23:35: Message edited by: The Stew Boy ]
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #3
Keep going when you have time. I'm not up on dinosaurs, especially after recenr research has revised some of them, but the descriptions and explanations are fun.
Dollop of Whipped Cream
Member # 391
Profile Homepage #4
quote:
Originally written by Dikiyoba:

Tyranicus -- Tyrannosaurus
There is a noted similarity between the two names. But the similarities run a little deeper than that. The large, lumbering Tyrannosaurus was king of the dinosaurs and the overweight Tyranicus is the ruler of the Spiderweb chats.

I'll be the first to admit that I could stand to lose a few pounds, but I object to being referred to as overweight. I'm on the border between healthy and overweight, actually. :P
Otherwise, it sounds good. :)

Edit: I refuse to admit that The Lost World was even a real movie. If you want a good story, read the book.
Edit2: So Megalosaurus was before Richard Owen's Iguanadons then? Hmmm... I guess it was. You learn something new every day.

[ Sunday, September 24, 2006 01:10: Message edited by: Tyranicus. ]

--------------------
"Tyranicus is about the only one that still posts in the Nethergate Forum." —Randomizer
Spiderweb Chat Room
Shadow Vale - My site, home of the Spiderweb Chat Database, BoA Scenario Database, & the A1 Quest List, among other things.
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #5
quote:
Thralni -- Archaeopteryx
Thralni is obsessed with chickens and has a strong interest in flight. Although Archaeopteryx wasn't quite the size of a chicken, this very early bird was capable of flight.
I like chickens.
I like birds.
I'm obsessed with flying, you might say (That's what you get when you're first flight was at an age of 3 months).

It seems it all fits then. Thanks to you too :)

--------------------
Play and rate my scenarios:

Where the rivers meet
View my upcoming scenario: The Nephil Search: Escape.

Give us your drek!
Shaper
Member # 6292
Profile #6
Hmm, I see my dinosaur has long and slender limbs much like myself. Therefore, I have no choice but to state that I resemble that remark.

Overall, very amusing and disturbingly comprehensive, Dikiyoba. One must give credit where it is due.

-S- is for sleek & slender.

--------------------
A4 Item Locations A4 Singleton G4 Items List G4 Forging List The Insidious Infiltrator
Agent
Member # 4506
Profile Homepage #7
Is it a good thing that I have no dinosaur attached to my name - or is it just because I just haven't been around lately?

Anyway, this one really suits her:

quote:
Nicothodes -- Compsognathus
Nicothodes is cute, clearly has many friends, and people who think she is cute tend to die slow and painful deaths. In The Lost World: Jurassic Park, someone is fooled into thinking that a lone, cute Compsognathus is harmless. That's when the rest of the pack attacks and kills him slowly and painfully.
... especially the "cute" part. :P

- Archmagus Micael

--------------------
"You dare Trifle with Avernum?" ~ Erika the Archmage
--------------------
My Scenarios:
Undead Valley : A small Undead problem, what could possibly go wrong?
--------------------
Richard Black - PROOF of his existance (the Infernal one's website).
--------------------
MY FORUM! Randomosity at it's highest! :)
Agent
Member # 6581
Profile Homepage #8
quote:

MagmaDragoon -- Wannanosaurus
When I first saw this name, the words "wanna know" jumped out at me, making it perfect for the inquisitive MagmaDragoon and his constant questions.

Why a comparison with dinosaurs? Why you think I'm inquisitive? Why I make so many question? Wh--

IMAGE(http://smile.smilies.nl/348.gif)

Ok, farewell. I think this suits well for me. Looking for knowledge is my hobby. :P

Thanks anyway for remind me, even if I'm not so Active recently. :)

[ Sunday, September 24, 2006 05:24: Message edited by: MagmaDragoon ]

--------------------
Download Geneforge 4: Rebellion

You have 6 posts. Nobody cares what you think. - Thuryl

Wikipedia may be your friend, but UBB is not. - Dikiyoba
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #9
quote:

Ephesos -- Weta
Ephesos likes giant intelligent friendly talking roaches and crickets. Both cockroaches and crickets evolved before the Mesozoic Era. However, the weta looks like a cross between a cricket and giant cockroach. Plus, as a living fossil, there's no need to worry about it coming back as undead.

Hm... well, I guess it works. Not a very striking resemblance, though...

--------------------
Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.

I hate undead. I really, really, really, really hate undead. With a passion.
Lifecrafter
Member # 6700
Profile Homepage #10
[Blank] gets to be a [blank]!
How [blank]!

--------------------
The Silent Assassin has censored this post for reasons unknown.
Jerk.

--------------------
-Lenar Labs
What's Your Destiny?

Ushmushmeifa: Lenar's power is almighty and ineffable.

All hail lord Noric, god of... well, something important, I'm sure.
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #11
How sad that I get honored for my fishing prowess at a time when I've voluntarily ceased fishing in favor of w...o....r...k... :eek:

This is a day that will long live in infamy. Especially after I've heard that the fishing is infreakingcredible at 46.10/124.50.

Stupid fish. Don't they know I'm done for the season? :mad:

--------------------
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:

Well, I'm at least pretty sure that Salmon is losing.

Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #12
Originally by Archmagus Micael:

quote:
Is it a good thing that I have no dinosaur attached to my name - or is it just because I just haven't been around lately?
It just means that no dinosaur reminded me of you while I was reading through my dinosaur books, that's all.

Originally by Tyranicus:

quote:
Edit: I refuse to admit that The Lost World was even a real movie. If you want a good story, read the book.
I assume you mean the one by Michael Crichton and not the one by Arthur Conan Doyle, right?

I generally dislike dinosaur movies, and so I only watched it because I was with a group, and not because I wanted to see it. There is one satisfying feature about the movie, though. (I imagine that it's the same in the book, but some things are better as visuals.) Do you know who the first person to die in that movie is? *cough*Eddie Carr*cough*

Originally by Randomizer:

quote:
Keep going when you have time.
Dikiyoba is pretty much done. Dikiyoba might get lucky and think of another, but Dikiyoba has been working on these ones since the end of July. Admittedly, Dikiyoba was gone a lot between then and now, but still...
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #13
Great, I'm fat and look like a rhinoceros.

But I suppose that's what I get for the Big Brother thing...

--------------------
Encyclopaedia ErmarianaForum ArchivesForum StatisticsRSS [Topic / Forum]
My BlogPolarisI eat novels for breakfast.
Polaris is dead, long live Polaris.
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair.
Dollop of Whipped Cream
Member # 391
Profile Homepage #14
quote:

Originally by Tyranicus:

quote:
I assume you mean the one by Michael Crichton and not the one by Arthur Conan Doyle, right?

Yes, I was referring to Michael Crichton's sequel to Jurassic Park, although I am a fan of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's work as well.

[ Monday, September 25, 2006 07:42: Message edited by: Tyranicus. ]

--------------------
"Tyranicus is about the only one that still posts in the Nethergate Forum." —Randomizer
Spiderweb Chat Room
Shadow Vale - My site, home of the Spiderweb Chat Database, BoA Scenario Database, & the A1 Quest List, among other things.
Infiltrator
Member # 1092
Profile Homepage #15
quote:
Originally written by The Stew Boy:

I missed out again.
I always seem to miss out on good stuff as well.

--------------------
When you think you can't get any lower in life and hit rock bottom, God hands you a shovel.

Why should I say somthin intelligent when idiots like you make me look intelligent in the first place.
His Mighty Tentacle
Member # 627
Profile #16
What the?

--------------------
If I could make just one wish, I would want a tasty vlish.

Geneforge IV. Still no tasty vlish.