Weaving Spiderwebs

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Weaving Spiderwebs
Apprentice
Member # 7506
Profile #0
I am very new to these forums and I knew not anyone else who played spiderweb software and i only found out about games like Avernum and Geneforge recently. I mostly loved Exile so much but never bought it, just played the demos. But I know that Avernum is the remake of Exile and I also know now that Spiderweb software is quite popular. More importantly, what this topic is about.

Has anyone played Starcraft or Starcraft: Brood War or maybe you do play them? Well the most famous thing about this game is the "Use Map Settings". This is basically create anything you want (with some depressing limitations) setting. For example, I want to play Exile: Escape from the Pits on SC (Starcraft). I simply make the game through the campaign editor (not exactly top notch map making editor) and then i can play Exile on Starcraft. There is also Warcraft III which has a much more advanced editor and maybe soon Starcraft II. Yea Starcraft is a bit lame for Medieval fighting considering its futuristic imaging and spells, but I love it. Warcraft III is more fitting to Exile but Warcraft III has some angering limits and odd adjustments compared to Starcraft even though WC3 (Warcraft III) has much more freedom.

So basically what I just said was im making a free game of Exile within the game Starcraft: Brood War (Expansion of SC). It's not exactly on the same story line as the original exile but it'll have close to the same map.

Hopefully this will be a succesful map(success of a UMS map on SC is usually measured by the quality of gameplay, in other words how fun it is yet not considerible hard to understand or take too long).

And hopefully it'll spread Spiderweb Software to more areas.

If there are any comments, ideas or suggestions please post.

(Note: There is no money to be made in doing this)
Dollop of Whipped Cream
Member # 391
Profile Homepage #1
I don't really think that the map of Exile would work well in a campaign strategy game such as StarCraft.

--------------------
"Tyranicus is about the only one that still posts in the Nethergate Forum." —Randomizer
Spiderweb Chat Room
Shadow Vale - My site, home of the Spiderweb Chat Database, BoA Scenario Database, & the A1 Quest List, among other things.
Agent
Member # 2210
Profile #2
Web of Starcraft. Hmm, doesn't really make too much sense. You could of course have a mod for starcraft where you played the Vahnati...

--------------------
Wasting your time and mine looking for a good laugh.

Star Bright, Star Light, Oh I Wish I May, I Wish Might, Wish For One Star Tonight.
Shaper
Member # 32
Profile #3
quote:
Originally written by Tyranicus.:

I don't really think that the map of Exile would work well in a campaign strategy game such as StarCraft.
Clearly you have never played any of the roleplaying maps designed from the StarCraft editor...

While it's possible, I think Warcraft III would still be a better way to go. There is so much more you can do, especially if you utilize scripts.

[ Monday, September 18, 2006 16:22: Message edited by: Lt. Sullust ]

--------------------
Lt. Sullust
Cogito Ergo Sum
Polaris
Guardian
Member # 2238
Profile Homepage #4
I have yet to see the point. Is BOE not enough?

--------------------
DEMON PLAY,
DEMON OUT!
Posts: 1582 | Registered: Wednesday, November 13 2002 08:00
Shaper
Member # 3442
Profile Homepage #5
quote:
Originally written by demonslay3r:

I have yet to see the point. Is BOE not enough?
With *that* combat engine?

I think it'd be a good idea, but I once tried to turn Exile into a D20 game (yes, I know it's been done, but I didn't THEN), and it's seriously more effort than it's worth in my opinion.

If you want to continue the Exile/Avernum story, you could try BoX design...

--------------------
And when you want to Live
How do you start?
Where do you go?
Who do you need to know?

*Name by Slarty, so blame him if it's filthy...
Apprentice
Member # 7506
Profile #6
Clearly you should probably only post here if youre a hardcore SCer? IDK but what i do know is, if you play Spiderweb Software you play it because its fun not good looking so dont go telling me about "i dont think itll fit into SC" The Gameplay will always be more important, some games are just as good as a photograph because theyre pretty but pretty boring.
Infiltrator
Member # 6136
Profile #7
WOW very upset answer!
I love that.
Well i like starcraft too but an exile map...just won't work...XD
As you say maybe with W3, but well you could do it and then post it, so who likes it could just download and test it and the problem's over...
Guardian
Member # 2238
Profile Homepage #8
quote:
Originally written by RA[Ancalagon:
]
Clearly you should probably only post here if youre a hardcore SCer? IDK but what i do know is, if you play Spiderweb Software you play it because its fun not good looking so dont go telling me about "i dont think itll fit into SC" The Gameplay will always be more important, some games are just as good as a photograph because theyre pretty but pretty boring.
I never said Starcraft wasn't a good game.

I just don't see how you'll ever create all the art assests. If you planned on using the Starcraft assests, then you'll have a nice time trying to convince players they're playing a medival fantasy RPG-inspired conversion.

--------------------
DEMON PLAY,
DEMON OUT!
Posts: 1582 | Registered: Wednesday, November 13 2002 08:00
Shake Before Using
Member # 75
Profile #9
Starcraft's graphics are small and vague enough that it allows for a lot of suspension of disbelief. :P

I've never seen an Exile or Avernum d20 that was complete or that good. I've considered making one myself but I've been busy with things that might actually have a point instead.