What is inspiring you?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: What is inspiring you?
Warrior
Member # 7021
Profile #0
I'm listening to a very inspiring song at the moment: "Green Grass And High Tides" by: The Outlaws. It's got me wondering what inspires everyone else out there.
-Music? :cool:
-Friends? :)
-Political Debate? :mad:
-Spiderweb Forums? :P
-Something else? :confused:
Maybe this will turn out to be a good discussion?
If not oh well, Da ist nitch zu machens.

--------------------
"My Mazaradi goes 185
They Took my License
Now I don’t drive
But I got me a limo
And I sit in the back
Lock all the doors
In case I’m attacked.”
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #1
I am now suffering from emoticon poisoning.

And you spelled "da ist nichts zu machen" wrong. :P

What do you mean by inspiring? If I am suffering from writer's block or need some ideas, I usually go on bicycle rides or take walks after midnight (thunderstorms are favorite). Sometimes I listen to music like the soundtrack of Riven, Brahms' Hungarian Dances or Vivaldi's Four Seasons.

Also, for some reason I am a lot more creative on train rides. But that doesn't work if I feel under pressure - so I couldn't deliberately go on a train and suddenly find inspiration.

--------------------
Encyclopaedia ErmarianaForum ArchivesForum StatisticsRSS [Topic / Forum]
My BlogPolarisI eat novels for breakfast.
Polaris is dead, long live Polaris.
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair.
Cartographer
Member # 1851
Profile Homepage #2
I tend to get inspired from other stories. They give me new ideas. I don't usually go looking for inspiration, I like it when it just suddenly hits, but *just* now I went for a walk to try and think about this one story. I didn't really have a conflict/problem for it, but the walk worked! I came up with a reason for the heroes to do heroing.

Even though it was either a touch too chilly or too hot and sunny outside. Crazy Finnish early fall weather...

[ Saturday, September 16, 2006 09:08: Message edited by: Phantasm ]

--------------------
"I'm not crazy!"
"Well, whatever. Maybe you just ate something really questionable, or perhaps someone hit you on the head with something large, blunt and heavy just now. By the way..." Gil nudged Grul pointedly.

Ooh! Homepage - Blog - Geneforge, +2, +3 - My Elfwood Gallery and DevArt page
So many strange ones around. Don't you think?
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #3
That's why I like nights. The air is cool, the sun doesn't blind and it's nice and quiet.

Yes, my sleep rhythm is messed up.

--------------------
Encyclopaedia ErmarianaForum ArchivesForum StatisticsRSS [Topic / Forum]
My BlogPolarisI eat novels for breakfast.
Polaris is dead, long live Polaris.
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair.
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #4
I am inspired by music and competition. I have a pump-up playlist that never fails to get me amped and ready to tackle whatever it is I need to tackle. And competition always gets me fired up - getting the best of some chump makes my day.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
Encyclopedia Ermariana - Trapped in the Closet
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Agent
Member # 6581
Profile Homepage #5
What inspire me? Love, Girls, Books. Whatever...

--------------------
Download Geneforge 4: Rebellion

You have 6 posts. Nobody cares what you think. - Thuryl

Wikipedia may be your friend, but UBB is not. - Dikiyoba
Shaper
Member # 3442
Profile Homepage #6
The world.

I get inspired from my life, my past, things I've seen and heard, mostly though.

People also affect my greatly, and written words on paper give me tons of ideas.

Then, when I have enough ideas I go for a walk at night, and don't come home until I have something.

--------------------
And when you want to Live
How do you start?
Where do you go?
Who do you need to know?

*Name by Slarty, so blame him if it's filthy...
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #7
I often get inspired by nothing at all... improv demands on-the-spot inspiration from a suggestion as simple as "tube sock".

That said, I get pretty lucid at times.

--------------------
Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.

I hate undead. I really, really, really, really hate undead. With a passion.
Guardian
Member # 2238
Profile Homepage #8
I am inspired by music. Seeing as I listen to music pretty much constantly every chance I get, I am a pretty inspired person ;) .

Girls seem to inspire a lot of my songwriting as well. Well... all of my songwriting.

--------------------
DEMON PLAY,
DEMON OUT!
Posts: 1582 | Registered: Wednesday, November 13 2002 08:00
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #9
I am inspired by the elegance of the laws that govern our universe. Is the simplicity and robustness of the world we inhabit not truly amazing?

—Alorael, who is, in fact, inspired to do better. For example, having a non-integral G is simply unnecessary. Pi could stand to be an integer as well, and so could Planck's constant. The grant proposal is still under consideration.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #10
It is customary in theoretical physics to choose units in which h-bar, c, G, and pi are all equal to 1.

[ Friday, September 15, 2006 09:54: Message edited by: Student of Trinity ]

--------------------
We're not doing cool. We're doing pretty.
Posts: 3335 | Registered: Thursday, September 4 2003 07:00
Lifecrafter
Member # 6700
Profile Homepage #11
I find that my best inspiration comes eitehr while I'm asleep and slightly before or after.
Dreams, I find, can inspire tales of horror, adventure, and love.

--------------------
The Silent Assassin is inspired by a need to get stuff done.
Like the need to get the neurotoxins out of the bathtub. Quite inspiring.

--------------------
-Lenar Labs
What's Your Destiny?

Ushmushmeifa: Lenar's power is almighty and ineffable.

All hail lord Noric, god of... well, something important, I'm sure.
Agent
Member # 2759
Profile Homepage #12
The real question is what is inspiring Alorael's choice of PDN. "Pasta is a false dichotomy", how does he come up with these...?

--------------------
"I can't read this thread with that image. But then, that's not a complaint." -Scorpius

Geneforge 4 stuff. Also, everything I know about Avernum | Avernum 2 | Avernum 3 | Avernum 4
Infiltrator
Member # 2836
Profile #13
Inspired to do what?
Shaper
Member # 247
Profile Homepage #14
quote:
Originally written by Drakefyre:

I am inspired by music and competition. I have a pump-up playlist that never fails to get me amped and ready to tackle whatever it is I need to tackle. And competition always gets me fired up - getting the best of some chump makes my day.
Competition as in sports? If so what sports?

I wouldn't say anything really inspires me. I just do it, whatever it may be. Although I guess certain songs are good for certain things. I prefer absolute quite before playing hockey or Soccer. I find there's less room for error playing goal so I need to be mentally ready.

--------------------
The Knight Between Posts.
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #15
Soccer, track, ultimate frisbee, and volleyball, in no particular order.

I played a lot of goalie for soccer but I never stuck with it because I was one of our team's best defenders, so the defense was in shambles when I went in goal. One game our other two keepers were sick or injured, so I played. We lost 6-1 to the team at the top of the league, but I had at least 20 saves and stopped a PK.

Music gets me so pumped for every sport I play. It turns me into the kind of person I need to be when I play - absolutely ruthless and taking advantage of every ounce of speed and heart.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
====
Infiltrator
Member # 3040
Profile #16
quote:
Originally written by Student of Trinity:

It is customary in theoretical physics to choose units in which h-bar, c, G, and pi are all equal to 1.
:confused: I thought pi was dimensionless... How would one choose a unit in which pi were 1? What would that say for all those poor torn circles?

--------------------
Shaper
Member # 247
Profile Homepage #17
quote:
Originally written by Drakefyre:

Soccer, track, ultimate frisbee, and volleyball, in no particular order.

I played a lot of goalie for soccer but I never stuck with it because I was one of our team's best defenders, so the defense was in shambles when I went in goal. One game our other two keepers were sick or injured, so I played. We lost 6-1 to the team at the top of the league, but I had at least 20 saves and stopped a PK.

Music gets me so pumped for every sport I play. It turns me into the kind of person I need to be when I play - absolutely ruthless and taking advantage of every ounce of speed and heart.

Yo, Respect!

I've never had a mind for offense. Not that I don't like to score (yes I know) but Defense or goal is where my skills are. Ruthless = futsal/Indoor soccer, my opinion. :)

Edit: Yea!

[ Friday, September 15, 2006 16:16: Message edited by: VCH ]

--------------------
The Knight Between Posts.
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #18
I actually did play a lot of goalie indoors. The smaller goals and faster pace suit me better. Especially since I'm all reflexes.

--------------------
====
====
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #19
Meh. Goalie is fine until you get old and slow. Then it hurts. A lot.

I think we all know how I figured this out, so no need to ask.

--------------------
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:

Well, I'm at least pretty sure that Salmon is losing.

Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #20
Inspiration comes when it comes. I really wish I could quantify where it comes from or how to get it to occur more often.

quote:
—Alorael, who is, in fact, inspired to do better. For example, having a non-integral G is simply unnecessary. Pi could stand to be an integer as well, and so could Planck's constant. The grant proposal is still under consideration.

Ask for funding to improve the measurments. It's easier to get funding for refinements of existing things then original research, Just be vague about your true goals in case some referee decides that he likes irrational numbers.
Agent
Member # 2820
Profile #21
I am inspired by indominable optimism tempered with almost depressing, obsessive realism. I seek to excel at everything I do and I accept being bested only when it is by the best.

I know that this type of inspiration is akin to burning the candle from both ends, so maybe in the future I'll need to find some other motivation when my fuel of youth runs out; but until then it is my prerogative to ignore it.

--------------------
Thuryl: I mean, most of us don't go around consuming our own bodily fluids, no matter how delicious they are.
====
Alorael: War and violence would end if we all had each other's babies!
====
Drakefyre: Those are hideous mangos.