Slithzerkai Sighting!

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Slithzerkai Sighting!
Agent
Member # 5814
Profile #0
Sliths on Abandoned Realms.
quote:
A sentient race of humanoid lizardmen...
It's almost impossible that these people came up with a name and similar race independently. Since Abandoned Realms kicked off on 2/07/06, I'm pretty certain that Jeff has the evidence on his side. These sliths are, however, slightly different. They can only be of the warrior class. Their history is also completely unrelated to that of the Vogelian sliths.

So, two questions:
1) Is it legal to take a creation, change it slightly but not entirely, and then make no mention of the original conciever?
2) Is SpidWeb letting these people use its creation?

[ Monday, June 05, 2006 13:33: Message edited by: The][Editbreaker ]

--------------------
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon
Well, I'm at least pretty

Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #1
Abandoned Realms opened in 1997. The help file became available in February 2006.

Plagiarizing sliths would be illegal, but just having lizard men and calling them sliths isn't really solid grounds for legal complaint. It's probably shifty, but they could call them Thlis and nobody would notice.

—Alorael, who would not like to have to deal with Thlis. Too hard to pronounce!
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #2
Lizard men are far older than sliths, and -- aside from the name -- these sliths have few of the characteristics that distinguish Avernite sliths from lizard men, such as extreme magical prowess, highly developed religions and cults, two-tined spears, and so on.

Besides, plagiarism of races is the basis of RPGdom. Dwarves, elves, and halflings (called hobbits before the Tolkien estate intervened) are all from Tolkien, who had his own sources for many of his ideas.

There was a very popular shareware game in the mid-90s -- the name escapes me -- based on Star Trek which originally featured enemies called Klingons, Romulans, and so on. The game's authors apparently received legal threats from Paramount Pictures and subsequent versions of the game had the names changed to Kigons and Rulans or something like that.

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00
Agent
Member # 5814
Profile #3
Oh, okay. So Slithzerkai are just a Vogelian twist on the old, obscure hat which is the lizard-man. I was under the impression that the lizard-men themselves were thought up by Jeff because I've read people's posts wherein they mention that Jeff excluded things such as Elves and Dwarves and included original things such as Sliths and Nephils.

quote:
Originally written by Fish Backwards:

Abandoned Realms opened in 1997. The help file became available in February 2006.
It's not that I don't believe or trust you, but I can't find this. Then again, I couldn't really think of anywhere else on their site where this information could be found.

<small>[ June 05, 2006, 04:02 PM: Message edited by: The][Editbreaker ]</small>

[ Monday, June 05, 2006 14:03: Message edited by: The][Editbreaker ]

--------------------
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon
Well, I'm at least pretty

Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #4
The sliths and nephils *are* original; lizard-men and cat-people are not.

--------------------
Guardian
Member # 2238
Profile Homepage #5
Just to clarify... dwarves were in Norse mythology, and elves were in Celtic mythology. Tolkien didn't create that. He might have influenced modern takes on the races, but let's not give him too much credit.

--------------------
DEMON PLAY,
DEMON OUT!
Posts: 1582 | Registered: Wednesday, November 13 2002 08:00
Shake Before Using
Member # 75
Profile #6
"Slith", at least, could easily be derived from "slither", which is ssssomething that ssssnakepeople frequently do. And really, both lizardmen and catpeople are pretty common fantasy archetypes, just usually as monsters rather than civilized races.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #7
Tolkien's elves have more in common with Norse elves than other mythological elves, and I don't think the Celts had elves at all. They did have sidhe, who are reasonably elf-like, but they're not quite elves.

—Alorael, who doesn't think anyone could claim a unique fantasy race anymore. At least not any as simple as animal-people or people with slightly different ears or funny proportions. For originality fantasy has been reduced to adding strange appendages and protruding bits, bizarre coloration, and culture weirdness.
Guardian
Member # 6670
Profile Homepage #8
Abandoned Realms has a lot more to worry about than infringing on JV's product. Look at some of the possible races: drow, duegar, elemental giants; all of them just barely under the Open Gaming License. More importantly, one of the races is the Illithid, which is defined as D&D Product Identity under the OGL.

And does anyone else see a parallel between Abandoned Realms and Forgotten Realms?

--------------------
Aren't you a violation of a certain popular fantasy author's intellectual property?!?
- Vaarsuvius (OotS)
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #9
quote:
—Alorael, who doesn't think anyone could claim a unique fantasy race anymore.
Giant, intelligent, land-dwelling, telekinetic samurai sea cucumbers?

Admittedly, there are still a lot of questions to answer, concerning such things as feeding, reproduction, communication, and where to get enough exta-extra-extra moisturizing lotion to prevent themselves from drying out, but their combat skills are in no doubt. They would simply entangle their enemies in sticky threads (and maybe a few internal organs if it's a tough enemy), and then proceed to slice them up with their katana at leisure.

Dikiyoba.
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #10
I can think of a few examples of interesting, creative races in RPGs.

The old mac RPG Jewel of Arabia: Dreamers, which I apparently cannot cite enough, had a progression of races including standard mythological ones (trogs, minotaurs, djinn) and standard antropomorphic animals (horse-men and lion-men) but it also had one unique race: the Sandmen. The Sandmen had unusual composition (duh), appearance, and situation: their cities and people were swiftly crumbling into dust for no apparent reason.

Final Fantasy 9 had the Black Mages, a race of animated, sometimes sentient cloth golems with magical powers and an existential dilemma. Say what you will about Vivi's whining, that was a great concept.

EarthBound had the Mr. Saturn... and the Tenda.

--------------------
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #11
quote:
From the site:
Sliths have the ability to shed their skin, temporarily creating a decoy (shed).After defeating an opponent, a slith can unhing its jaw to swallow the corpse whole (swallow)....
sliths restrict themselves to joining only the warrior guild.

These are not the same as Avernum sliths, and I believe there would be enough differences to excuse the claim.

--------------------
Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.

I hate undead. I really, really, really, really hate undead. With a passion.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #12
And China Miéville has a whole menagerie from the oddball anthropomorphs (cactus-men and mosquito-men beetle-women) to the just plain odd (handlingers and motion demons) to the living plot devices (Weavers and demons). But all of the examples strike me as things created as weird for the sake of weird. Elves were weird for the sake of having elves. Tolkien liked his elves.

—Alorael, who would pay good money for a game involving giant, intelligent, telekinetic samurai land cucumbers.
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #13
"Bismo: a game for three and a half players"

"Shuffle and deal everyone six cards (for a total of 21).
Take turns, clockwise, in whining for more cards from any source.
First player to collect all six giant, intelligent, telekinetic samurai land cucumbers is allowed to meld them instantly, thus winning the game. The half player has an enormous advantage, but whether it is worth it is an unsolved problem in game theory."

Cough up.

--------------------
We're not doing cool. We're doing pretty.
Posts: 3335 | Registered: Thursday, September 4 2003 07:00
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #14
IMAGE(http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/1/13/Cactuar.png)

--------------------
Posts: 6936 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #15
I'll still pay good money for a game involving GITSLC. Just not that game.

—Alorael, who clearly used an indefinite pronoun with the intent being to signify that there exists (in potentia) such a game worth paying for.
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #16
Careful, you're oozing existential quantifiers :P

--------------------
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #17
Originally by Student of Trinity:

quote:
Bismo: a game for three and a half players
You're almost there, but slightly off. The game is not a card game for three and a half players. It is single-player computer game (the original plans for a multi-player game on abacus had to be discarded, unfortunately). However, the game features a three and a half character adventuring party.

Furthermore, the game is not called Bismo. However, each of the characters are named Bismo. All the guards are named Bismo, and all of the merchants are named Bismo, and all the nobility, and all the other adventurers. In fact, everyone is named Bismo. Everyone except for the secretive, dark, brooding, evil overlord Omsib, that is. Omsib's evil scheme is to force everyone to change their names to Omsib by any means necessary. Your goal is to stop him and allow everyone to remain Bismo.

Now, on to the characters. The first one is a GITSLC, of course. He is sent out by his people to stop Omsib because Omsib is hoarding all the exta-extra-extra moisturizing lotion in the kingdom until the GITSLCs all change their names to Omsib.

The second one is a wingéd lava kitty. The floating city of the wingéd lava kitties has sadly been Omsibified, and only a few rebellious Bismos are left. This character is one of them, and she has been sent out by the other rebels to stop Omsib and de-Omsibify the city.

The third character is a human mage-priest. He has a wide, wide range of the most fun spells in existence. He is traveling with the party simply because casting random spells on random baddies is the easiest and most effective way to learn high-level spells like Bismo-ian Anvil, Divine Snipage, Obscene Damage, Call Cultists, and Thlis Avatar. However, the character only starts with simple spells like Summon Exta-extra-extra Moisturizing Lotion, Cosmetic Surgery, Turn Undead, and Profanity.

The half character is the top half of a reanimated skeleton: skull, ribcage, and arms, but no legs. As a result, it has to drag itself along everywhere it goes. It has a tendency to fall behind the rest of the party and always acts last in combat. However, it is a very fine rogue. Its skeleton keys can pick any lock and disarm any trap. It just takes a very long time, since it has no eyes and must do everything blindly. In combat, this is a disadvantage, since it just crawls towards the nearest character and attacks, regardless of who it is. This is where the spell Turn Undead becomes handy. The mage-priest can cast it on the half-skeleton to turn it towards a specific enemy. Of course, enemy mage-priests can cast Turn Undead to direct the skeleton at one of its own party members. No one knows why the half-skeleton is part of the party. It just is.

Now all Dikiyoba has to do is figure out how to program the game.
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #18
I believe you mean "wingèd". "Wingéd" did make me chuckle, though. :)

--------------------
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #19
Because if any language has a lesson to teach about marking stressed syllables, it's Spanish, and if any language has a lesson to learn about marking pronunciation in any way, shape, or form, it's English.

—Alorael, who really, really thinks Énglish could use some more explánatory marks. Or at least a big sign saying, "Abándon hope, all ye who énter here!"
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #20
We just need to revive Middle English. Then everything would be fine.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Shock Trooper
Member # 6908
Profile #21
Seems like GILTE-SASCU sounds more melodious and samuraikally, huh? :)

--------------------
9 masks sing in a choir:
Gnome Dwarf Slith
Giant Troll Troglo
Human Nephil Vahnatai
"If the mask under mask to SE of mask to the left of mask and to the right of me is the mask below the mask to the right of mask to the right of mask below me is the same, then who am I?"

radix: +2 nicothodes: +1 salmon:+1
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #22
Well, I believe I at least got the whining part right.

--------------------
We're not doing cool. We're doing pretty.
Posts: 3335 | Registered: Thursday, September 4 2003 07:00
BANNED
Member # 2064
Profile #23
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:

We just need to revive Middle English. Then everything would be fine.
Quote for truth.

--------------------
I am an idiot.
Shaper
Member # 3442
Profile Homepage #24
quote:
Originally written by Dikiyoba:

Originally by Student of Trinity:

quote:
Bismo: a game for three and a half players
You're almost there, but slightly off. The game is not a card game for three and a half players. It is single-player computer game (the original plans for a multi-player game on abacus had to be discarded, unfortunately). However, the game features a three and a half character adventuring party.

Furthermore, the game is not called Bismo. However, each of the characters are named Bismo. All the guards are named Bismo, and all of the merchants are named Bismo, and all the nobility, and all the other adventurers. In fact, everyone is named Bismo. Everyone except for the secretive, dark, brooding, evil overlord Omsib, that is. Omsib's evil scheme is to force everyone to change their names to Omsib by any means necessary. Your goal is to stop him and allow everyone to remain Bismo.

Now, on to the characters. The first one is a GITSLC, of course. He is sent out by his people to stop Omsib because Omsib is hoarding all the exta-extra-extra moisturizing lotion in the kingdom until the GITSLCs all change their names to Omsib.

The second one is a wingéd lava kitty. The floating city of the wingéd lava kitties has sadly been Omsibified, and only a few rebellious Bismos are left. This character is one of them, and she has been sent out by the other rebels to stop Omsib and de-Omsibify the city.

The third character is a human mage-priest. He has a wide, wide range of the most fun spells in existence. He is traveling with the party simply because casting random spells on random baddies is the easiest and most effective way to learn high-level spells like Bismo-ian Anvil, Divine Snipage, Obscene Damage, Call Cultists, and Thlis Avatar. However, the character only starts with simple spells like Summon Exta-extra-extra Moisturizing Lotion, Cosmetic Surgery, Turn Undead, and Profanity.

The half character is the top half of a reanimated skeleton: skull, ribcage, and arms, but no legs. As a result, it has to drag itself along everywhere it goes. It has a tendency to fall behind the rest of the party and always acts last in combat. However, it is a very fine rogue. Its skeleton keys can pick any lock and disarm any trap. It just takes a very long time, since it has no eyes and must do everything blindly. In combat, this is a disadvantage, since it just crawls towards the nearest character and attacks, regardless of who it is. This is where the spell Turn Undead becomes handy. The mage-priest can cast it on the half-skeleton to turn it towards a specific enemy. Of course, enemy mage-priests can cast Turn Undead to direct the skeleton at one of its own party members. No one knows why the half-skeleton is part of the party. It just is.

Now all Dikiyoba has to do is figure out how to program the game.

BoA Scenario.

This post is dangerously close to being spam. But, by pointing the community towards the notion that Bismo could be on their computer screens by mid-August, I believe that it manages to escape the stigma of "Spammiest Post by a Handsome Member". Just about.

--------------------
And when you want to Live
How do you start?
Where do you go?
Who do you need to know?

*Name by Slarty, so blame him if it's filthy...

Pages