Yom HaShoa

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Yom HaShoa
Lifecrafter
Member # 6403
Profile #0
I meant to post this yesterday but I forgot.

I wish everyone a reflective Holocaust Memorial Day. May we all do our best to prevent history from repeating itself.

--------------------
??? ??????
???? ?????
BANNED
Member # 2064
Profile #1
The holocaust never happend.

--------------------
I am an idiot.
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #2
quote:
The holocaust never happend.
That's trolling for a flame fest. Flame fests are bad.

Dikiyoba.

[ Wednesday, April 26, 2006 07:30: Message edited by: Dikiyoba ]
BANNED
Member # 2064
Profile #3
I forgot to add the [/sarcasm].

--------------------
I am an idiot.
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #4
You have an odd sense of humor.

--------------------
Encyclopaedia ErmarianaForum ArchivesForum StatisticsRSS [Topic / Forum]
My BlogPolarisI eat novels for breakfast.
Polaris is dead, long live Polaris.
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair.
BANNED
Member # 2064
Profile #5
Wasn't meant to be funny. This topic was begging for it.

--------------------
I am an idiot.
Nuke and Pave
Member # 24
Profile Homepage #6
quote:
Originally written by Yours Sincerely, The Boogyman.:

Wasn't meant to be funny. This topic was begging for it.
Anybody still thinks there are no fashists here?

I thought an anti-Israel protest at the same time and location as the annual Holocaust Memorial on Berkeley campus was as low as it could get. Apparently not.

As to Wizard/Boobyman/whatever else you are called, some day when doing something like this in real life you'll discover that this generation of Jews wouldn't obidiently walk into death chambers, and if you try hard enough, this will be the last lesson you'll learn.

--------------------
Be careful with a word, as you would with a sword,
For it too has the power to kill.
However well placed word, unlike a well placed sword,
Can also have the power to heal.
Shaper
Member # 3442
Profile Homepage #7
My college held a silence, a moment to reflect, in rememberance of not only the Jews that died, but also the millions of other minorities murdered by the Nazi regime.

And I've been reading about Holocaust denial, and, well... I don't go for it myself, but since when has it been wrong to question things?

I would, of course, argue fiercely with those that believe that the Holocaust was made up, but I also think it's right that these sort of issues are raised. People should always question that which they are told, even if, in this case, they are intelligent to realise that the event did occur.

I hope that this comes across right.

--------------------
And when you want to Live
How do you start?
Where do you go?
Who do you need to know?

*Name by Slarty, so blame him if it's filthy...
BANNED
Member # 2064
Profile #8
quote:
Originally written by Monaco, baby xx:

My college held a silence, a moment to reflect, in rememberance of not only the Jews that died, but also the millions of other minorities murdered by the Nazi regime.

And I've been reading about Holocaust denial, and, well... I don't go for it myself, but since when has it been wrong to question things?

I would, of course, argue fiercely with those that believe that the Holocaust was made up, but I also think it's right that these sort of issues are raised. People should always question that which they are told, even if, in this case, they are intelligent to realise that the event did occur.

I hope that this comes across right.

All I got out of that is you think only dumb people believe the holocaust never happend.. Forgive me if i misunderstood.

--------------------
I am an idiot.
Nuke and Pave
Member # 24
Profile Homepage #9
quote:
Originally written by Monaco, baby xx:

I would, of course, argue fiercely with those that believe that the Holocaust was made up...

Regardless of whether people should question everything they hear, it is just a little offensive to question a genocide during a memorial for its victims. Since I doubt the "arguments" are going to be significantly different next week, or the week before, it makes one wonder whether people who come up to a Holocaust memorial and say "it never happened" might have some motive other than "intellectual curiocity".

EDIT:
quote:
Originally written by our resident Nazi:

All I got out of that is you think only dumb people believe the holocaust never happend.. Forgive me if i misunderstood.
What I "think" is that the only people who would come up to a Holocaust memorial saying "it never happened" are neo-Nazis.

Why is it more acceptable to spit in the face of Jews than to spit in the face of Christians or Muslims? When some guys drew a cartoon making fun of Muhammed, the whole world was in uproar and some countries passed laws against "blashemous" cartoons. When people come up to a Holocaust memorial and say to the relatives of victims "it never happened", it's considered "a sign of intellectual curiocity".

[ Wednesday, April 26, 2006 09:13: Message edited by: Zeviz ]

--------------------
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #10
Zeviz put that very nicely. Debate and argument are good, but that doesn't mean we can't treat other people with respect at the same time.

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00
BANNED
Member # 2064
Profile #11
I appologize if I somehow offended you with my sarcasm, though I do somewhat question some things about the holocaust.

--------------------
I am an idiot.
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #12
quote:

That sounds about right. While I would not deny the right to doubt the holocaust, I personally believe it is intensely stupid to do so.

[ Wednesday, April 26, 2006 09:31: Message edited by: Nyarlathotep ]

--------------------
BANNED
Member # 2064
Profile #13
Oh wow that hurt Aran :P

--------------------
I am an idiot.
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #14
I was bashing Neonazi idiots, not you. :)

--------------------
By Committee
Member # 4233
Profile #15
Anyone moronic enough to deny the Holocaust should go to Poland and visit the death camps before they say anything further. If it were true that there was no Holocaust, what motivation would the Polish government have for keeping these monuments to hatred around? Denying something you really have no knowledge of is one thing; doing so after seeing rooms full of the human hair and other possessions of the victims is another.

[ Wednesday, April 26, 2006 09:57: Message edited by: Drew ]
Nuke and Pave
Member # 24
Profile Homepage #16
quote:
Originally written by Nyarlathotep:

I was bashing Neonazi idiots, not you. :)
So you don't see anything wrong with his behavior? I am not sure what is personally important for you for you (anniversary of grandmother's death? your friend's death?), so I am not sure what analogy to make to explain how I feel. Perhaps if when you posted about death of your online friend somebody replied "she had it coming, stupid ..." you'd feel a similar emotion.

--------------------
Shaper
Member # 3442
Profile Homepage #17
quote:
Originally written by Nyarlathotep:

quote:

That sounds about right. While I would not deny the right to doubt the holocaust, I personally believe it is intensely stupid to do so.

Aran's post is right. And while it's right to question these things, it's not right to do so at some times. Discretion and subtlety are important too.

I personally think that it did happen, but if people wanna say that it didn't, they are free to do so. They are wrong, but they should be allowed to think what they will.

--------------------
And when you want to Live
How do you start?
Where do you go?
Who do you need to know?

*Name by Slarty, so blame him if it's filthy...
BANNED
Member # 2064
Profile #18
Is the government not allowed to conceal things? Think of how easily a human being can lie. The government can also, with more complications. It is somewhat my personal view that the holocaust never happend, yes, Hitler made some mistakes, but he made some, in my eyes, choices that bettered the world.

--------------------
I am an idiot.
By Committee
Member # 4233
Profile #19
I disagree. I don't think any "positive contribution" Hitler might have made could possibly offset the devastation of launching a war that resulted in the deaths of millions of people, including hundreds of thousands of innocent Jews, gypsies, homosexuals, etc.

Do you approve of what's occurring in Sudan currently? The Holocaust was really not substantively different.

EDIT: Also, fascist governments can lie, sure, but representative governments leak like sieves. And in this case, the Polish government isn't trying to cover anything up.

[ Wednesday, April 26, 2006 10:10: Message edited by: Drew ]
BANNED
Member # 2064
Profile #20
Personally, I think Hitler took the blame for some mistakes the US and it's allies made in WW2. I'm sorry for those that lost family/friends in the incident, and no matter your beliefs, death is always a tragedy. And with Sudan, I don't really support or disaprove of it, noone is really taking all the blame for it, so let in continue, war is part of life, may the strongest man win.

--------------------
I am an idiot.
By Committee
Member # 4233
Profile #21
Hitler took the blame for mistakes the allies made? Like what? I think you're going off the deep end here. In criminal law, generally it's the aggressor who's held accountable for all damages resulting from his initiating actions.

EDIT: That's great, Thrasymachus. Why don't you move to Iraq and see how great it is living in your State of War? If death is, as you say, always a tragedy, how is it ever justified?

[ Wednesday, April 26, 2006 10:15: Message edited by: Drew ]
Shaper
Member # 22
Profile #22
quote:
Is the government not allowed to conceal things? Think of how easily a human being can lie. The government can also, with more complications. It is somewhat my personal view that the holocaust never happend, yes, Hitler made some mistakes, but he made some, in my eyes, choices that bettered the world.
Wow. Now my initial reaction upon seeing that was to run away and never return. However.

It is people like you who make my eyes bleed. It's people like you who make Zeviz look like a perfectly sensible person. It's people like you who were responsible for the formation of the Incredible String Band.

Let's be clear on this. You're actually so clincially retarded that you actually think the Holocaust was a giant conspiracy, when you can go to Auschwitz and see the gas chambers, the actual gas chambers, the actual god damn gas chambers where people were gassed when they were told they were just having showers? Now I could maybe understand it if you thought the scale had been exaggerated slightly. Maybe five million Jews died instead of six. But you do realise that you're putting yourself in a camp that contains you, David Irving and the entire readership of the Protocols of the Elders of Zion? Hamsters and cardboard tubes, that's all I'm saying.

In Austria, they have a place for people like you.
Agent
Member # 4506
Profile Homepage #23
I feel sympathy for the people lost on both sides, both in the nazi Holocaust (see slaughter of Jews and ?romanics?), and the American Holocaust (see atom bomb).

They all deserve to be remembered.

Zeviz; maybe you were right.

- Archmagus Micael

[ Wednesday, April 26, 2006 10:49: Message edited by: Archmagus Micael ]

--------------------
"You dare Trifle with Avernum?" ~ Erika the Archmage
--------------------
My Scenarios:
Undead Valley : A small Undead problem, what could possibly go wrong?
--------------------
Richard Black - PROOF of his existance (the Infernal one's website).
--------------------
MY FORUM! Randomosity at it's highest! :)
Infiltrator
Member # 6652
Profile #24
My flamefest sense is tingling...

But anyway, isn't it slightly irrational to believe that everyone in the world who mentions the Holocaust is part of a conspiracy? That EVERY SINGLE PERSON who was alive during the time and remembers it is lying?

If you posess such a distrust for historians and eyewitnesses in general, then why do you not question the Civil War? That Russia was once a communist country? That a man landed on the moon? Why do you not question every single other historic event that you do not remember?

EDIT: Yaaargh this thing goes fast. I am responding to Yours Sincerely, the Bogeyman, by the way, to clear up any confusion.

[ Wednesday, April 26, 2006 10:55: Message edited by: I Would Have Been Your Daddy ]

--------------------
But I don't want to ride the elevator.

Pages