This week's scheduled chats

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: This week's scheduled chats
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #0
This week's scheduled General Chats (AIM, "spidweb" room) will be:

Thursday 3/16 at 9 pm Eastern Time
(= 6 pm pacific, 2 am GMT, ~12 noon australia)

Saturday 3/18 at 4 pm GMT
(= 8 am pacific, 11 am eastern, ~2 am australia)

For the weekday chat, earlier looks like it works better, so it's earlier. The Saturday chat is at a popular time that should work well for Euros. (Can you call people that, too, or just the currency? :P ) In future weeks we might try holding the Saturday one ~four hours earlier to better accomodate Aussies, though I'm afraid that'll reduce attendance by a lot.

[ Tuesday, March 14, 2006 05:20: Message edited by: Slartucker ]
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #1
Euros is only the currency. The people can only be called "Europeans."

what exactl do you mean with "eastern"? that's not GMT, as then the time is not correct.

[ Tuesday, March 14, 2006 05:30: Message edited by: Mc 'mini' Thralni ]

--------------------
Play and rate my scenarios:

Where the rivers meet
View my upcoming scenario: The Nephil Search: Escape.

Give us your drek!
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #2
quote:
Originally written by Mc 'mini' Thralni:

what exactl do you mean with "eastern"? that's not GMT, as then the time is not correct.
Eastern USA.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #3
Euros was a joke.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coordinated_Universal_Time

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
Agent
Member # 618
Profile Homepage #4
Good, 'cause call me European and you earnt a slap, too. Englishness/Brit all the way. :P
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #5
quote:
Originally written by Slartucker:

Euros was a joke.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coordinated_Universal_Time

I know what GMT would be. I was just inquiring about the time, it could have been a rather weird typo.

--------------------

Where the rivers meet

Give us your drek!
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #6
If you bother to follow the link, you'll find it has a handy table listing all the time zones.

--------------------
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #7
quote:

If you bother to follow the link, you'll find it has a handy table listing all the time zones.
I did the follow the link, and I can find the same information myself. But as I already said, I wnated to make sure it was indeed eastern time and not GMT (or EST, I forgot what i thought at the time) you were talking about. It didn't make sense to me you would put in GMT at the first time, but than switch over to eastern US time at the second.

[ Tuesday, March 14, 2006 06:59: Message edited by: Mc 'mini' Thralni ]

--------------------

Where the rivers meet

Give us your drek!
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #8
I switched the main time listed to the time zone for which it was most convenient, and most likely to draw the most members. It wouldn't make much sense to announce a chat for 2 AM GMT, would it? The accuracy could be verified by noticing that the time difference between each of the four listed time zones remained constant for both chats, and each was listed once for each chat.

You asked what I meant by Eastern, and commented that Eastern is not GMT. Therefore, you got answers explaining what Eastern is and what its relationship to GMT is. If you meant to ask, "Do you really mean Eastern time, in the second chat listing?" then I don't know why you wouldn't just ask that, instead of the question you did ask.

--------------------
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #9
quote:
Originally written by Hakuna Matata:

Good, 'cause call me European and you earnt a slap, too. Englishness/Brit all the way. :P
You subconsciously make the Channel as wide as the Atlantic, hm? :P

--------------------
Encyclopaedia ErmarianaForum ArchivesForum StatisticsRSS [Topic / Forum]
My BlogPolarisI eat novels for breakfast.
Polaris is dead, long live Polaris.
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair.
Shaper
Member # 3442
Profile Homepage #10
quote:
Originally written by Aran:

quote:
Originally written by Hakuna Matata:

You subconsciously make the Channel as wide as the Atlantic, hm? :P

Yeah. And that tunnel will collapse... :P

I see myself as both European AND British, Neither exclusively. Or more than the other.

--------------------
And when you want to Live
How do you start?
Where do you go?
Who do you need to know?

*Name by Slarty, so blame him if it's filthy...
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #11
quote:

I switched the main time listed to the time zone for which it was most convenient, and most likely to draw the most members. It wouldn't make much sense to announce a chat for 2 AM GMT, would it? The accuracy could be verified by noticing that the time difference between each of the four listed time zones remained constant for both chats, and each was listed once for each chat.

You asked what I meant by Eastern, and commented that Eastern is not GMT. Therefore, you got answers explaining what Eastern is and what its relationship to GMT is. If you meant to ask, "Do you really mean Eastern time, in the second chat listing?" then I don't know why you wouldn't just ask that, instead of the question you did ask.

its happening again. we start to argue. I think we both should go back to the front door of this forum and deposit our sanities once more.

I'm sorry, but I managed to skip the extrememly bold letters in that first post. Now it all makes sense again. I'm sorry for that. must be the fact that I'm doing homework in the thing I most hate: arts.

--------------------

Where the rivers meet

Give us your drek!
Too Sexy for my Title
Member # 5654
Profile #12
I'll be around Thursday chat but not for long, and I won't make it to the Saturday chat.
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #13
I ought to make the Thursday chat, but Saturday's pretty doubtful...

--------------------
Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.

I hate undead. I really, really, really, really hate undead. With a passion.
Infiltrator
Member # 2836
Profile #14
Can't make either of them, sorry. I can only make ones that are in the afternoon or evening.
Law Bringer
Member # 6489
Profile Homepage #15
Thursday works, although I'll be 1.5 hours late. I won't be able to make Saturday however.

--------------------
"You're drinking liquor because you're thirsty? How nasty is your freaking water?" —Lazarus
Spiderweb Chat Room
Avernum RPSummariesOoCRoster
Shadow Vale - My site, home of the Spiderweb Chat Database, BoA Scenario Database, & the A1 Quest List, among other things.
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #16
Are these chats going to be an ongoing thing?

--------------------
-ben4808
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #17
Well, they've been ongoing. More than ongoing, really, since random ones seem to start up 24/7. (I hate that phrase, but it's too useful. Sigh.)

The times of the scheduled ones will presumably change if another time seems better, especially the Saturday one. Or maybe they will disappear entirely, as some have suggested.

--------------------
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #18
Much like the Moderator Board, these chats are boring and attendence is discouraged. Imagine a particularly grusome expressway accident, with a slow queue of traffic able to get by (on the far left please), each passerby looking at the accident as they drive past. You just know there isn't much to see aside from mangled metal, but you keep hoping that you get that split-second cadaver spotting. That is the chat.

Edit - Oh yeah, I'll try to be there for both.

[ Tuesday, March 14, 2006 20:47: Message edited by: Tribble Lovah ]

--------------------
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:

Well, I'm at least pretty sure that Salmon is losing.

Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #19
Given we are all in different timezones (my sleep patterns alone put me in 3-4 distinct ones over the course of a week...) it's not surprising we overlap randomly around the clock.

And perhaps if we have enough random chats, the logging effort will end, and we no longer need to watch what we are saying. :P

Although a flood of data didn't stop me from continuing with the PPP, so I guess there is little hope for that...

--------------------
Law Bringer
Member # 6489
Profile Homepage #20
I use DeadAIM, so the actual work involved in a logging a chat is minimal. All I have to do is change the background color so all the text shows up and upload it to the database. Don't worry though, I don't link every chat to the database mainpage. Several chatlogs with questionable material, such as Monday's memorable chat, are only available by request, as I am not linking them anywhere that Google might find. :eek:

--------------------
"You're drinking liquor because you're thirsty? How nasty is your freaking water?" —Lazarus
Spiderweb Chat Room
Shadow Vale - My site, home of the Spiderweb Chat Database, BoA Scenario Database, & the A1 Quest List, among other things.
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #21
I am still unclear about which logs were withheld because they might contain questionable material in general, and which were withheld because they have controversial conversations about this board. So far I have seen only the latter I believe (though my open chat window might have logged some of the former) for which I am thankful. I mean, if it's dirty enough for Spiderweb... :P

--------------------
Law Bringer
Member # 6489
Profile Homepage #22
quote:

I am still unclear about which logs were withheld because they might contain questionable material in general, and which were withheld because they have controversial conversations about this board. So far I have seen only the latter I believe (though my open chat window might have logged some of the former) for which I am thankful. I mean, if it's dirty enough for Spiderweb... :P
It's mostly general questionable material. Controversial Spiderweb topics are fair game as far as I'm concerned. Who cares if you can Google the details of Ash's banning or how much people like or dislike a particular game?

--------------------
Spiderweb Chat Room
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #23
Googling, no. Linking from Spiderweb specifically, yes. And those topics are not really what I meant - I've seen several times that members were talked about behind their backs, and it was generally agreed that that would be removed if it got really bad. CoC aside, there are some things you would not want some people to see.

[ Wednesday, March 15, 2006 06:47: Message edited by: Aran ]

--------------------
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #24
quote:

Googling, no. Linking from Spiderweb specifically, yes. And those topics are not really what I meant - I've seen several times that members were talked about behind their backs, and it was generally agreed that that would be removed if it got really bad. CoC aside, there are some things you would not want some people to see.
Thus my policy of mild humor behind the persons back, then full frontal assault when they are present in a chat.

Nothing personal though, it's all good craic.

--------------------
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:

Well, I'm at least pretty sure that Salmon is losing.

Pages