Ash Got Banned...

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Ash Got Banned...
Shock Trooper
Member # 6666
Profile #50
quote:
...he was sent a dismissive, insulting, and profane e-mail in response.
Is the email public knowledge? Meaning, can I read it somewhere?
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #51
A few of Ash's buddies here need to lighten up and have more of a sense of humor.

AL: *abuses JV*
JV: 'Change your sig.'
AL: 'No.'
JV: *bans AL*

It's like seeing Tweety taunt Sylvester for the millionth time, but suddenly Sylvester bites Tweety's head off. And you're laughing because it's so silly that it's so unexpected, since after all Tweety is a bird and Sylvester is a cat. Isn't that good for a chuckle?

[ Saturday, March 04, 2006 11:01: Message edited by: Student of Trinity ]

--------------------
We're not doing cool. We're doing pretty.
Posts: 3335 | Registered: Thursday, September 4 2003 07:00
Agent
Member # 1993
Profile #52
<_<
>_>
I feel a little bit guilty to have triggered all that crap. I even applauded Ash to his new sig ... without being banned.

Jeff seems to be very thin-skinned right now. First I thought it might be a good thing, to see him visiting the boards so often - but his vulnerability makes me think. Why is he so much concerned by the few criticism when the game is selling so good?
Yes, he said on the other page that was not saved by Aran (woot for archival wizardry!) that A4 has become the best selling Spiderweb game ever.
:) Maybe he only needs some holidays.

--------------------
Slartucker: * facepalm facepalm facepalm *
Dikiyoba: Are you unconscious yet?
BANNED
Member # 6655
Profile #53
Yes, I suppose your point is well made. Jeff should visit the boards more often, and give us a chance to have a full chat with him.
I myself, would like to ask the creator of such great games a few quick questions.
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #54
quote:
Originally written by Student of Trinity:

But that's not even remotely close to what happened.

--------------------
Posts: 6936 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Shock Trooper
Member # 3980
Profile Homepage #55
quote:
Originally written by Student of Trinity:

As an ESL-speaker, may I ask how "Knock yourself out :-)" translates to "No."?

[ Saturday, March 04, 2006 12:16: Message edited by: No 2 Methylphenidate ]

--------------------
The opposite of love is not hate, it's indifference.
The opposite of art is not ugliness, it's indifference.
The opposite of faith is not heresy, it's indifference.
And the opposite of life is not death, it's indifference.
Because of indifference, one dies before one actually dies. (not mine)
Warrior
Member # 6759
Profile Homepage #56
Typical. I dissappear for a few weeks and so much excitement.

quote:
Originally written by Proud Owner of:
:
quote:

So Ash didn't think the game was worth the money huh?

Well now this I would pay for.
Lifecrafter
Member # 6388
Profile #57
quote:
Originally written by Proud Owner of:
:
quote:

No, the email is not public knowledge. Then again, public knowledge is murderously incorrect here.

This is exactly how the dialogue went:

Spy.there: *criticism of Av4*
spidweb: [If you don't like it then] don't buy it.
Creator: I'm putting that in my sig. :)
Spidweb: Go right ahead. :)
Creator: *does so*
Spidweb: That's out of context, you know.
Creator: Aw, lighten up.
Spidweb: *ban*

There was no explicit statement that Ash needed to remove the quote from his sig. Vogel is still apopleptic about it, behaving as if someone whose work has made him money is actively trying to disrupt his business.

Now that you understand the issue, please stop stating that the Creator had it coming. If he did, no one told him as much until after he was banned.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #58
This is the problem with deleting that thread. Now it's based on hearsay. My impression (which is probably more accurate than Alec's) is that Jeff didn't just say, "Hey, that's out of context, you know." He said, "That's out of context, and you need to change it."

I'm trying to get a fact-and-rule clarification, but that may or may not actually happen.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #59
But it's just as funny that way, too. Lighten up!

Quoting people out of context in ways that make them look ridiculous is dishonest and offensive. Banning people from the boards for it is heavy-handed. But getting all indignant about one and laughing off the other, this seems inconsistent.

--------------------
We're not doing cool. We're doing pretty.
Posts: 3335 | Registered: Thursday, September 4 2003 07:00
Lifecrafter
Member # 6388
Profile #60
The difference is that Creator wasn't trying to make a point; he was trying to make humor. It was fairly clear, given the smileys.

'Lighten up' is certainly an odd reaction to indignance if you're not aiming for humor, isn't it?
Infiltrator
Member # 5991
Profile Homepage #61
Surprisingly Jeff hasn't been on the forums since.

--------------------
George Bush is a Nazi - Eric Cartmen

I'm not as think you stoned I am
Visit the RIFQ Forums
Lifecrafter
Member # 3171
Profile Homepage #62
Probably concerned about all the crap that will be flung his way if he does.
Guardian
Member # 2476
Profile #63
What Aran saved of the thread is what I remember reading when it was still there. If noone posted afterwards, then:

Ash: This is going in my sig. :)

and:

JV: Knock yourself out. :-)

was really all there was.

--------------------
Polaris
Rache's A3 Site reformatted 2/3 done
Rache's A3 Site, original version
Shake Before Using
Member # 75
Profile #64
Ash was banned for an unspecified duration as a result of some comments he made. Whether that was justified or unjustified, it is what has been done.

This is, at its core, an administrative matter. Please, instead of making matters worse (EDF, TM, Djur, Alec), wait a day or two for everyone and everything to cool off. There will definitely be an official response of some sort by then, which will in all likelyhood include what actually happened, why Ash was banned, and how long his ban will persist.

For the four of you I named, consider this a final warning.

For everyone else, realize that Spidweb has not "suddenly changed for the worse", people will not be banned left and right for criticising the games, and the year remains 2006, not 1984. Thanks. :P

[ Saturday, March 04, 2006 15:41: Message edited by: Imban ]
Board Administrator
Member # 1
Profile Homepage #65
I temporarily unlocked this topic to say what was going on. Or, at least, the view from my end.

Someone posted asking why they should buy my game if they dont like it. I responded, in a moment of great candor, "Don't buy it."

Someone I'd never heard of before said he wanted it in his sig. I then made a mistake. I jokingly said "Knock yourself out," with a smiley, without realizing how the quote could be used out of context to make it look like I was telling people I didn't think they should buy my own game.

The person did just that. I asked him to change his sig. He refused. I banned him. I told him in an E-mail how irritated this made me. He made it clear that he felt I was entirely to blame. There was no mention whatsoever made of even considering to change the .sig.

I have not been blameless in this. I made some errors in judgment. But these are the forums for my business. I will not let someone take advantage of a lapse of judgment on my part to continuously ram an out of context quote down my throat, and I will not let someone twist my own words to try to dissuade people from purchasing my games.

I apologize for any confusion and worry I have caused in this mess. I am not planning to run roughshod over the boards, banning at will. I will not punish people for reasonable, honest, constructive criticism.

But if you intend to go out of your way to bait me and make me angry, you will probably succeed.

By the way, I am not going to "lighten up." This business is the sole source of support for my family. I see being too serious preferable to being not serious enough. But I usually have a pretty thick skin. There has been a LOT of criticism of me on these boards, and I've left pretty much all of it alone. Many developers do not do this. I do not see myself as a terrible person.

I hope this makes at least one side of the story a little clearer.

- Jeff Vogel

--------------------
Official Board Admin
spidweb@spiderwebsoftware.com

Pages