What Movies Are You Looking Forward To?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: What Movies Are You Looking Forward To?
Shake Before Using
Member # 75
Profile #25
I believe that was stated above.

EDIT: ...or on the previous page.

[ Wednesday, February 22, 2006 10:53: Message edited by: Imban ]
Lifecrafter
Member # 6700
Profile Homepage #26
They're making a movie out of Eragon??

--------------------
Th Silent Assassin is silent, and thus has nothing to say right now.

--------------------
-Lenar Labs
What's Your Destiny?

Ushmushmeifa: Lenar's power is almighty and ineffable.

All hail lord Noric, god of... well, something important, I'm sure.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #27
Eragon has the popularity to succeed as a movie. That's a shame, because Eragon is the worst of derivative fantasy. (Actually, not the worst. It's just your typical stock fantasy plus hype.) If the author weren't so young it would never have been published at all.

—Alorael, who wouldn't mind if it didn't mean that far more deserving works of fantasy were getting overlooked. Fantasy and science fiction are perennially judged by the merits of the worst members of the categories, and this doesn't help at all.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #28
Dikiyoba still likes Saphira and the Urgals, for some reason. Eldest is terrible. The final battle made Dikiyoba yawn. And that's after half the book was about elves.

Edit: Hey, look! There's a second page.

[ Wednesday, February 22, 2006 14:55: Message edited by: Dikiyoba ]
Law Bringer
Member # 6489
Profile Homepage #29
quote:
Originally written by Dintiradan:

On a side note: my DM recommends D&D2. Should I watch it, or save myself two hours?
D&D 2 is a very good movie, much more of a serious fantasy movie than the first.

--------------------
"You're drinking liquor because you're thirsty? How nasty is your freaking water?" —Lazarus
Spiderweb Chat Room
Avernum RPSummariesOoCRoster
Shadow Vale - My site, home of the Spiderweb Chat Database, BoA Scenario Database, & the A1 Quest List, among other things.
BANNED
Member # 2385
Profile Homepage #30
Rambo 4.

EDIT:
quote:
The Fog (remake)
A great movie, and scary at that. Definitely should go see.

[ Wednesday, February 22, 2006 18:44: Message edited by: Eating My Food ]

--------------------
I am a silly, silly fool.
Cartographer
Member # 1851
Profile Homepage #31
quote:
Originally written by Uc:

-- If the author weren't so young it would never have been published at all.
And the publishers his own parents, as I hear.

--------------------
"I'm not crazy!"
"Well, whatever. Maybe you just ate something really questionable, or perhaps someone hit you on the head with something large, blunt and heavy just now. By the way..." Gil nudged Grul pointedly.

Ooh! Homepage - Blog - Geneforge, +2, +3 - My Elfwood Gallery and DevArt page
So many strange ones around. Don't you think?
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #32
Originally, yes. It was picked up by Knopf and turned into the phenomenon it is now.

—Alorael, who supposes he can understand why. It is, after all, a brilliant success for Knopf. It just doesn't deserve it's success! (So go the whines of literary critics throughout history.)
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #33
Well, if there's one advantage to having popular, lousy books turned into popular movies, it's that the movies won't be a disappointment when compared to the books.

Dikiyoba.
Infiltrator
Member # 6652
Profile #34
Just think of it as another book set in in Tolkein's world. I didn't notice that it actually was "Mithrim" instead of "Mithril" until it was pointed out.

--------------------
But I don't want to ride the elevator.
Lifecrafter
Member # 6700
Profile Homepage #35
Hmm...
The Silent Assassin was quite excited to hear that they were going to be doing an Eragon movie, in that it is one of his favorite books.
Though he is worried that they'll screw it up.
Me? I've never read it, and after reading this commentary, don't really plan to.

Personally, I'm waiting for Terry Brooks to start selling movie rights.
With the right people behind it, The Sword of Shannarra could more than likely outdo Narnia in both quality and sales.

--------------------
The Silent Assassin's input was not asked for this post, as I am sure he would find the subject matter questionable.
Then again, he...
no wait, let's not go there.

--------------------
-Lenar Labs
What's Your Destiny?

Agent
Member # 4574
Profile #36
quote:
Originally written by Lenar Labs:

[QB]Personally, I'm waiting for Terry Brooks to start selling movie rights.
With the right people behind it, The Sword of Shannarra could more than likely outdo Narnia in both quality and sales.
QB]
Anything could out do Narnia. Duh.

--------------------
Constitutional monarchies are the in monarchies.
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #37
Even Eragon?

Dikiyoba.
Guardian
Member # 6670
Profile Homepage #38
By Lenar Labs:
quote:
Speaking of Tolkien ripoffs...

Bah. Even so, I'd buy it. The original trilogy was my first introduction to fantasy. It kind off got too much after three spin-off series and a prelude...

EDIT: I before E...

--------------------
Look out, a Nazgul... erm... Mord Wraith... erm... Skull Bearer... erm... dang it, just run!

[ Sunday, February 26, 2006 14:37: Message edited by: Dintiradan ]
Law Bringer
Member # 6489
Profile Homepage #39
quote:
Originally written by Dintiradan:

By Lenar Labs:
quote:
Speaking of Tolkien ripoffs...

I heartily agree. The Sword of Shannara was a terrible Tolkien ripoff. The Elfstones of Shannara was a good book, but it was the only good one out of the trilogy. The only other decent Shannara novel was First King of Shannara. The Landover novels were good as well, but Terry Brooks is a very mediocre author

--------------------
"You're drinking liquor because you're thirsty? How nasty is your freaking water?" —Lazarus
Spiderweb Chat Room
Avernum RPSummariesOoCRoster
Shadow Vale - My site, home of the Spiderweb Chat Database, BoA Scenario Database, & the A1 Quest List, among other things.
Lifecrafter
Member # 6700
Profile Homepage #40
I'm not sure that I could call Brooks a Tolkien ripoff, in that Brooks has a clearly different style and approach to his to his writing. The epic quality that he attempts in the Shannara series does seem a bit derivitive, however, and is definitely not his strength (try reading his Star Wars novel. ugh). And all of this "series" crap that he's been doing lately (the Voyage of the Jerle Shannara and beyond) has ruined my once exteremely high opinion of him as an author.
Despite this, I still enjoy most of his works.
My personal favorite of his works is Running with the Demon , mostly for concept originality.

But I brought up the Sword of Shannara because it is still a good seller, and despite the "historical synopsis"-type battle scenes is still a good book overall.
And, being a filmmaker, I think that it would make a great movie in the right hands.

And just because Narnia was a complete flop in the quality department doesn't mean that it won't sell well.

--------------------
The Silent Assassin believes that penguins will be the death of us all. I don't know what brought this on, but I don't think that his running around in a modified late 60's style tux is doing anyone anything good.

--------------------
-Lenar Labs
What's Your Destiny?

Pages