Census of Spiderweb community

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Census of Spiderweb community
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #75
Gimmicks about on Spiderweb. TM's is being a duck, if I may allude. Sometimes you have to accept what you can't change.

—Alorael, who believes an aestheist would believe only in pretty gods. Or perhaps aestheism is the belief that God is infinitely great, infinitely good, and infinitely pretty.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Apprentice
Member # 6728
Profile #76
Sexual orientation: Straight
Marital status: Single
Highest educational degree completed: High School Student
City/metropolitan area where you live: 30 miles from NYC
Racial/ethnic origin: polish, british, italian, irish, canadian
Nationality: Dual citizen of USA and Canada
First/primary language: Gibberish
Religion: Christian
How long you've been a Spiderwebber: played Exile III for the first time in '00 or '01
Whether or not you're a septuagenarian eskimo: Had to look it up, and no.

--------------------
"From now on you will call me Sid, Lord of the Flame!"
"Hey, Lord of the Flame . . . your tails on fire."
Warrior
Member # 380
Profile Homepage #77
Sexual orientation: bisexual
Marital status: engaged
Highest educational degree completed: high school really. What little college I did was a flop.
City/metropolitan area where you live: Fort Wayne, Indiana. the midwest... woo..
Racial/ethnic origin: lessee.. i'm irish, english, german, polish, and italian. All that added together equals me: a fair skinned "maiden".
Nationality: American. Sometime proud, sometimes not.
First/primary language: English
Religion: usually my own which leans more towards paganism with a little bit of buddhism mixed in
How long you've been a Spiderwebber: Ever since Exile III came out.
Whether or not you're a septuagenarian eskimo: What? No. I don't think so. What?

[ Tuesday, February 28, 2006 08:56: Message edited by: My Name Rhymes With Orange ]

--------------------
When the portal to Upper Avernum starts to blow, first dump a bucket of water on it. Then run like hell.

We're all heroes! Hamsters and rangers everywhere, rejoice! Wait.... wrong game.
Posts: 154 | Registered: Wednesday, December 12 2001 08:00
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #78
quote:
Originally written by No 2 Methylphenidate:

Sexual orientation: Lesbian
Marital status: Married
Religion: Habeas corpus fundamentalist / protestant

I'm very, very, very confused...

quote:
Originally written by Eldibs:

Yeah, but usually the insulter cares whether or not they get insulted in return.

I still think it's funny (and pathetic) that TM feels the need to "prove himself" by insulting everything that walks by. Yeah yeah, we know you hate everyone and everything, we know you love to insult people for stupid reasons, just shut up already TM.

You know, if you're insecure enough to still care what TM says, you're no better than him, and it shows a lack of conviction on behalf of your own beliefs. So there. :P

--------------------
Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.

I hate undead. I really, really, really, really hate undead. With a passion.
Lifecrafter
Member # 1468
Profile Homepage #79
quote:
You know, if you're insecure enough to still care what TM says, you're no better than him, and it shows a lack of conviction on behalf of your own beliefs. So there.
The only thing is, I don't care what TM says. I was just pointing out what seemed obvious to me. I'm still kind of in awe that nobody seemed to make the same connection that I did. Besides, even if I was insecure, I'd still be better than him, becuase I don't deal with it by insulting people for no reason (I only insult when there is a reason). So there.

--------------------
"We can learn a lot from crayons. Some are short, some are dull, some are sharp, some are tall. Some have funny names and they are all different colors, but they all learn to live in the same box."

"Happy is the man that has wisdom and gets discernment. For having wisdom as gain is better than having silver as gain and having wisdom as produce is better than gold itself" Proverbs 3:14-3:15

The horrible part about life is, you'll never get out of it alive.

Currently boycotting: AngelFire, GameFAQ's, Macintosh PC's
Lifecrafter
Member # 6403
Profile #80
quote:
Originally written by Eldibs:

The only thing is, I don't care what TM says. I was just pointing out what seemed obvious to me. I'm still kind of in awe that nobody seemed to make the same connection that I did. Besides, even if I was insecure, I'd still be better than him, becuase I don't deal with it by insulting people for no reason (I only insult when there is a reason). So there.
You're merely reenforcing Ephesos' argument there.

--------------------
??? ??????
???? ?????
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #81
quote:
Besides, even if I was insecure, I'd still be better than him, becuase I don't deal with it by...
Right, instead you deal with it by proclaiming to large numbers of bystanders that you're better than him. That's real mature.

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00
Guardian
Member # 6670
Profile Homepage #82
By Eldibs:
quote:
I still think it's funny (and pathetic) that TM feels the need to "prove himself" by insulting everything that walks by. Yeah yeah, we know you hate everyone and everything, we know you love to insult people for stupid reasons, just shut up already TM.
Yes, TM has an unfortunate propensity towards insults. Address this directly, don't insult him back. Responding to ad hominem with ad hominem is always a bad idea.

--------------------
Near-sighted gynecologist!
- Hook
Lifecrafter
Member # 1468
Profile Homepage #83
quote:
Right, instead you deal with it by proclaiming to large numbers of bystanders that you're better than him. That's real mature.
Actually, I'm proclaiming to large numbers of bystanders that myself and everyone in the group of bystanders is better than him.

[ Tuesday, February 28, 2006 12:34: Message edited by: Eldibs ]

--------------------
"We can learn a lot from crayons. Some are short, some are dull, some are sharp, some are tall. Some have funny names and they are all different colors, but they all learn to live in the same box."

"Happy is the man that has wisdom and gets discernment. For having wisdom as gain is better than having silver as gain and having wisdom as produce is better than gold itself" Proverbs 3:14-3:15

The horrible part about life is, you'll never get out of it alive.

Currently boycotting: AngelFire, GameFAQ's, Macintosh PC's
Shock Trooper
Member # 6666
Profile #84
Um, I know this involves TM, and therefore the CoC is applied very loosely, but still: doesn't this constitute "Any communication that is intended to harass, belittle, humiliate, threaten or cause embarrassment to a fellow member"? And on a very large scale at that.
Too Sexy for my Title
Member # 5654
Profile #85
TM's insults are over-rated. I've been here for almost a year, and by the way people talk you'd think his insults are all that. Most of them are either stupid or funny. I've met people hundreds of time worst than TM and they don't have TM's reputation.
Everyone should just accept TM for what he is, insults included. If you don't like it, then block him (I think that by doing so, you won't be able to see his posts), or just grow up and learn to ignore once and for all. But for the love of god, please stop talking about it.

Edit: In response to the post above: Yes, the CoC is very loose around TM, but def not only for him. Tons of us spam our way through the boards day by day, which is not supposed to be accepted, and we don't even get canned. At least TM contributes to the BoA community, which is more than what I can say about some people.

[ Tuesday, February 28, 2006 12:13: Message edited by: Amelia ]
E Equals MC What!!!!
Member # 5491
Profile Homepage #86
Why is everyone defending TM? "If you don't like him, ignore him" isn't something we do for anyone else. Sure, he becomes background static after a while, but background static is still annoying. Do people just feel sorry for him or something?

--------------------
SupaNik: Aran, you're not big enough to threaten Ash. Dammit, even JV had to think twice.
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #87
quote:
Originally written by Amelia:

block him (I think that by doing so, you won't be able to see his posts)
You have never tried this.

Blocking a member affects only their ability to send you private messages.

--

However, back in 2004, Djur had a prototype (I think it was a prototype, seeing as he never actually publicized anything) he called "the benalizer":

quote:
mboehx: http://djur.desperance.net/img/relief.png*
RealArancaytar: huh? Is that a browser malfunction?
RealArancaytar: I see his post on that thread, though.
RealArancaytar: Ben's, that is.
mboehx: No, it's something I call the Benalizer.
mboehx: It locally erases all of his posts so I don't have to read them.

*outdated link, try this
I thought about developing such a tool myself. This would be a fairly simple extension for Firefox (in fact, it exists for phpBB already) or an easily made Greasemonkey script. Unfortunately, I lack the skill and time for either, so I have never followed up on the idea.

--------------------
Encyclopaedia ErmarianaForum ArchivesForum StatisticsRSS [Topic / Forum]
My BlogPolarisI eat novels for breakfast.
Polaris is dead, long live Polaris.
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair.
Infiltrator
Member # 6136
Profile #88
Hi im back!!!
(everybody ask who the hell is this guy...)
I just came back from my vacations...
Well I love to answer this annoying and very long things so here we go...
Sexual orientation: Heterosexual
Marital status: single at the moment
Education level:...9th grade I guess, im still studying...duh
City:Talca
Ethnic:err...latin...chilean, you know...
Nationality:chilean as i said...(shouldn't be this question located 2 questions ago??)
Language:spanish
Religion:Catholic, still a little bit...
How long in here: forgot it, about 7 months
Whether or not you're a septuagenarian eskimo:what?? :eek:
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #89
Originally by Ash Lael:

quote:
Why is everyone defending TM? "If you don't like him, ignore him" isn't something we do for anyone else.
Sure we do. arghhhhhhhhh's posts are still far below the quality expected for anyone else and he's getting fewer and fewer comments about it. Very few people ask about the gimmicks that long established members use. Compromise is just part of the system.

For instance, Dikiyoba would sometimes get multiple comments in a day about why Dikiyoba uses third person when Dikiyoba first joined. Now, Dikiyoba rarely gets any.
E Equals MC What!!!!
Member # 5491
Profile Homepage #90
quote:
Originally written by Dikiyoba:

Originally by Ash Lael:

quote:
Why is everyone defending TM? "If you don't like him, ignore him" isn't something we do for anyone else.
Sure we do.

No, we don't. If arghhhhh had made that last post of TM's, he would now be banned.

Gimmicks can be annoying (such as in your case) but aren't what I was talking about.

--------------------
SupaNik: Aran, you're not big enough to threaten Ash. Dammit, even JV had to think twice.
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #91
1. arghhhhhhhhh has made a post involving evil laughter before.
2. TM's insult wasn't too (that's a relative term) insulting, just stupid.
3. TM's behavior is being commented on a lot right now, so it certainly isn't being ignored.
4. TM's behavior isn't much worse than anyone else's current behavior in this topic.
5. I've only ever seen people banned for asking for registration codes or blatant advertisement.
6. If we really, really wanted to be technical, you've just insulted and belittled me.

Dikiyoba.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #92
TM's behavior is atrocious. TM has been temporarily banned for it before. It didn't have much (any) effect, and TM also has this unfortunate habit of being on of the most productive BoXers.

In a way, just as Spiderweb can give the boot for minor infractions because it's a company board, it can not give TM the boot for major infractions because he makes BoE/A more worthwhile.

—Alorael, who also figures ever board needs a troll. Better the known evil, right? You know the buzzwords, you know the insults, and at least TM is literate and entertaining to those who aren't his target.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Too Sexy for my Title
Member # 5654
Profile #93
quote:
Originally written by Arancaytar the Grey:
Blocking a member affects only their ability to send you private messages.

That's all it does? I could've sworn there was a talk about doing something to not seeing someone else's post. Wow, I can't believe I have never blocked anyone. Anyways, The "Benalizer" does sound like an awesome product; it could've made him a millionaire.

Edit: Ash, the question is not why we're defending him? but why are you attacking him?. You're an adult for the love of god, behave like one. And that little "do you feel sorry for him?" comment was definitely out of hand.

[ Tuesday, February 28, 2006 17:11: Message edited by: Amelia ]
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #94
quote:

That's all it does? I could've sworn there was a talk about doing something to not seeing someone else's post. Wow, I can't believe I have never blocked anyone. Anyways, The "Benalizer" does sound like an awesome product; it could've made him a millionaire.
And I am, of course, that namesake of this novel new invention. :P It's quite a coincidence that you guys start bringing it up shortly after I change my moniker.

Anyway, Aran, your first link did work; you just added an unnecessary asterisk after the ".png".

[ Tuesday, February 28, 2006 17:42: Message edited by: the benalizer ]

--------------------
-ben4808
Warrior
Member # 6096
Profile Homepage #95
Sex: female
Sexual orientation: Yes, I have that
Marital status: In a relationship. Not married.
Highest educational degree completed: Um...No idea. I'm a university student
City/metropolitan area where you live: Turku
ethnic origin: Who knows? (At least Finnish and Swedish)
Nationality: Finnish
First/primary language: Finnish
Religion: Nothing against it. (agnostic)
How long you've been a Spiderwebber: Several years
Whether or not you're a septuagenarian eskimo: depends on what that means
E Equals MC What!!!!
Member # 5491
Profile Homepage #96
quote:
Originally written by Dikiyoba:

1. arghhhhhhhhh has made a post involving evil laughter before.
Yes, and Stareye warned him that another such post would get him banned.

[quote]2. TM's insult wasn't too (that's a relative term) insulting, just stupid.[/quote]By TM's standards, certainly. He's said much worse.

[quote]3. TM's behavior is being commented on a lot right now, so it certainly isn't being ignored.[/quote]Please remind me where I said he was being ignored.

[quote]4. TM's behavior isn't much worse than anyone else's current behavior in this topic.[/quote]I would suggest that it is. No one else has mocked someone else's religion in this thread.

[quote]5. I've only ever seen people banned for asking for registration codes or blatant advertisement.[/quote]That is because you are a newbie.

[quote]6. If we really, really wanted to be technical, you've just insulted and belittled me.[/quote]Suggesting that TM is offensive is by no means being legalistic and technical.

quote:

Ash, the question is not why we're defending him? but why are you attacking him?. You're an adult for the love of god, behave like one. And that little "do you feel sorry for him?" comment was definitely out of hand.
You're wrong. The question is, in fact, why are you defending him/attacking me when he has acted in a much more offensive manner than I have?

[ Tuesday, February 28, 2006 19:40: Message edited by: Ash Lael ]

--------------------
Too Sexy for my Title
Member # 5654
Profile #97
quote:
Originally written by Ash Lael:

The question is, in fact, why are you defending him/attacking me when he has acted in a much more offensive manner than I have?
I am, by no means, attacking you. I just think that this whole thing is getting more attention than it should.

Edit: btw, Congratulations/condolences on your new title. Now, if someone could be kind enough to tell me wtf it means.........

[ Tuesday, February 28, 2006 20:03: Message edited by: Amelia ]
Lifecrafter
Member # 6388
Profile #98
quote:
Originally written by Ash Lael:

Why is everyone defending TM? "If you don't like him, ignore him" isn't something we do for anyone else. Sure, he becomes background static after a while, but background static is still annoying. Do people just feel sorry for him or something?
Dude, for whatever reason people like him. The person he insulted gave him back some of his own (or so he thinks) and all seems to have been settled by good old-fashioned lex talonis lexica.

And on the subject of banning not being the threat it was, I do recall someone being banned for quoting a dictionary while playing the devil's advocate - rather like you seem to be doing now, albeit against someone without any actual power.

I submit that the current state of affairs, be though it may more merciful to your many enemies, is a fair improvement.

Chill. Acrimony is only worthwhile if it's amusing or enlightening, but 'TM is a dick and nobody should like him', in more words than such, is neither.

[ Tuesday, February 28, 2006 20:10: Message edited by: Belisarius ]
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #99
Ash makes a good point. Mocking someone's religion is pretty offensive (and pretty guaranteed to start a flameskirmish). Ironically, Eldibs's grandstanding attacks on TM simply distracted attention from the original statement.

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00

Pages