my world(would appreciate ideas)

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: my world(would appreciate ideas)
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #25
arghhhhhhhhh, you seem to have forgotten how to do quote tags again. You do it like this:

[ QUOTE ]thing to be quoted[ /QUOTE ]

Which produces:

quote:
thing to be quoted

[ Sunday, February 19, 2006 19:25: Message edited by: Thuryl ]

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #26
And if you ever forget how to do any of the tags while creating a reply, just click on the link "UBB Code is enabled." next to the text window and scroll down until you find the section that describes what you're trying to do. If in doubt, click on the "preview post" button to see whether you did it right.

Dikiyoba.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #27
You know, I'm willing to accept the use of quotes to create horizontal lines. At least I can tell which text is quoted now, although it seems like this has to be more work than actually quoting right.

quote:
[b]
i (modestly) have a creative mind
[/b]

Looking at the world presented, I agree. The word order might be rearranged a bit, but I agree.

quote:
the reason with the many Vs is becuase that is what the planets denizens call it, naturally they would want to associate there minor objects and places with incredible majestic grandness of their planet.
Planets aren't really grand or majestic if you're living on them. Remember, everything that isn't grand or majestic is that planet too.

quote:

maybe the dragons live in harmony with the elves?
and elves create superficial meat for them to eat

Elves? Stealing from Tolkien is a good way to doom an otherwise acceptable world to mediocrity.

Finally, a slightly more serious contribution. Assuming the moons have periods of 13, 17, 23, 91, 45, 74, and 103 days, they only line up to cause catastrophic tides once every 1,865,684 years. A lot can happen in a millenium with magic, although I'd still question the prevalence of non-aquatic life.

—Alorael, who would refuse to eat superficial meat. Only profound meat is worth consuming.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #28
Originally by Alorael:

quote:
Elves? Stealing from Tolkien is a good way to doom an otherwise acceptable world to mediocrity.

Agreed. Anyone ever read Eldest? The dragons were so compelling, the krull (Is that right?) were impressive, the dwarves were okay, but the elves were so...blah. Perfectly blah. Oh, and, somehow, the climatic battle was blah, too. That seems harder to mess up than not.

On the other hand, Dikiyoba has an elf in one of Dikiyoba's stories. There's nothing mediocre in bringing down an AT-AT walker-type machine with arrows. Just borderline copyright-infringement.

Edit: Spelling.

[ Sunday, February 19, 2006 20:43: Message edited by: Dikiyoba ]
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #29
quote:
Originally written by Dintiradan:

Arghhhhhhhhh: what are you making this world for? Writing a novel? A campaign setting? A Blades scenario? Any advice we can offer depends on what the world will exist for.

--------------------
Summoning food is the equivalent of Chinese takeout: once the spell's duration ends, you're hungry again.

That is exactly what I asked, you know...

--------------------
Play and rate my scenarios:

Where the rivers meet
View my upcoming scenario: The Nephil Search: Escape.

Give us your drek!
Agent
Member # 5814
Profile #30
Sir David asked before even you, Thralni.

--------------------
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon
Well, I'm at least pretty

Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #31
Who says that created food has to have a duration? Mythology has plenty of times when magicky folks magic up various things without having to worry about them disappearing.

—Alorael, who has to consider this a step into the dangerous of alien ecology syndrome. Making a world completely alien unsurprisingly tends to alienate readers/players/participants. Ecology dependent on hand-wave magic is very alien.
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #32
quote:
Originally written by Note to Self:

If I my assumtion that Sir david is Lady Davida, then the answer is no. Okay, he too was probably as amazed and surprised and confused as I was, but he didn't ask what what the purpose of this whole world is. Only what the topic is for.

--------------------

Where the rivers meet

Give us your drek!
BANNED
Member # 6554
Profile #33
quote:

ever read dragonlance?
AND ERAGON!
AND MANY OTHER FRICKIN FANTASY SETTINGS

elves are not created by tolkien(though is definetely my favriote author, GO LOTR, GO LOTR,)
er... back to the point

it's my world
and i am creating to write a book in thuryl

EDIT. i will add another segment of my world today for you to judge and rejoice in probable glory(i hope)
EDIT.
quote:
Welcome back, arghhhhhhhhh...
thank you

[ Monday, February 20, 2006 09:43: Message edited by: arghhhhhhhhh ]

--------------------
join me!
we shall harness the power of geckos, bunnys, and fluffy pink stuffed animals and rule the world!!!
Posts: 193 | Registered: Wednesday, December 14 2005 08:00
BANNED
Member # 6554
Profile #34
[QUOTE All of this is impossible. If the moons can align to where they cause apocalyptic tides, how did life ever stick around long enough to get established? The same goes for the meteors and volcanoes... nothing should have survived on that clearly blighted continent.
] [/QUOTE]
this has never happened before.
it happens every(er um a) 4 billion years)
THE PLANET HAS EXISTED 2 BILLION YEARS
muhahahahhahhahhaah
take that.

oh yeah the 90 post.
( jumps up an starts dancing on my computer desk and screaming, oh yeah the 90 post, oh yeah the 90 post

--------------------
join me!
we shall harness the power of geckos, bunnys, and fluffy pink stuffed animals and rule the world!!!
Agent
Member # 5814
Profile #35
quote:
Originally written by Thralni, The flying Dutchmen:

quote:

If I my assumtion that Sir david is Lady Davida, then the answer is no. Okay, he too was probably as amazed and surprised and confused as I was, but he didn't ask what what the purpose of this whole world is. Only what the topic is for.

It's not actually clear whether you are asking in your first post about the purpose of this topic or the purpose of this creation of a world.
quote:
elves are not created by tolkien
Elves were popularized by Tolkien. They wouldn't be a fantasy staple if not for Tolkien. So every time you use elves, you steal from him.

Finally, arghhhhhhhhh, no one will want to read 462 pages of badly written notes. Especially if their end product is done in the same style.

--------------------
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon
Well, I'm at least pretty

Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #36
Tolkien didn't create the elf. He created the Tolkien-style elf, which spread widely through derivative fantasy. It also spread to Dungeons and Dragons, which only spread it even more.

There's nothing wrong with elves per se. The problem is that they're usually unoriginal. I don't want to read about another world that's Middle Earth with cosmetic differences. If you have very different elves, fine, but then I wonder why you're calling them elves and giving them pointy ears at all.

—Alorael, who wouldn't worry too much about a prophecy not due for fulfillment for the next two billion years. On the other hand, that means that some of the moons have very long lunar cycles.
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #37
quote:
muhahahahhahhahhaah
take that.
Originally, I felt bad for offering my undiluted criticism and possibly discouraging a beginner. Strange, but this quote made the feeling vanish. :rolleyes:

--------------------
Encyclopaedia ErmarianaForum ArchivesForum StatisticsRSS [Topic / Forum]
My BlogPolarisI eat novels for breakfast.
Polaris is dead, long live Polaris.
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair.
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #38
quote:

quote:
Originally written by Thralni, The flying Dutchmen:

quote:

It's not actually clear whether you are asking in your first post about the purpose of this topic or the purpose of this creation of a world.

quote:
is it some world you are just making up for fun? is it for a scenario? What is it for!?
that last quoate was what my first post said. isn't that clear enough?

--------------------

Where the rivers meet

Give us your drek!
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #39
EDIT: Tags... drat.

quote:
Originally written by arghhhhhhhhh:

quote:

ever read dragonlance?
AND ERAGON!

Yes, a precious few worked well. Most of the rest are garbage...

quote:

it's my world
and i am creating to write a book in thuryl

I'm certain that Thuryl will appreciate having a book written in him. :P

quote:

quote:
Originally written by Ephesos:

All of this is impossible. If the moons can align to where they cause apocalyptic tides, how did life ever stick around long enough to get established? The same goes for the meteors and volcanoes... nothing should have survived on that clearly blighted continent.
muhahahahhahhahhaah
take that.

Your logic is irrefutable as always, arghhhhhhhhh. Fine, let it be like that... but the fact that the life on the planet is doomed anyway kind of trivializes anything that happens before the apocalypse.

Please stop double-posting, by the way.

quote:

oh yeah the 90 post.
( jumps up an starts dancing on my computer desk and screaming, oh yeah the 90 post, oh yeah the 90 post

Quoted for posterity.

[ Monday, February 20, 2006 12:40: Message edited by: Ephesos ]

--------------------
Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.

I hate undead. I really, really, really, really hate undead. With a passion.
Agent
Member # 2759
Profile Homepage #40
So does anything actually happen on Vamalas?

--------------------
"I can't read this thread with that image. But then, that's not a complaint." -Scorpius

Geneforge 4 stuff. Also, everything I know about Avernum | Avernum 2 | Avernum 3 | Avernum 4
Fire! Fire! Fire! Fire!
Member # 919
Profile #41
What I like best about this topic is its creator's name. It is so very fitting.

--------------------
And though the musicians would die, the music would live on in the imaginations of all who heard it.
-The Last Pendragon

Polaris = joy.

In case of emergency, break glass.
Too Sexy for my Title
Member # 5654
Profile #42
quote:

[b][QUOTE All of this is impossible. If the moons can align to where they cause apocalyptic tides, how did life ever stick around long enough to get established? The same goes for the meteors and volcanoes... nothing should have survived on that clearly blighted continent.
]
muhahahahhahhahhaah
take that.

oh yeah the 90 post.
( jumps up an starts dancing on my computer desk and screaming, oh yeah the 90 post, oh yeah the 90 post[/b][/QUOTE]

Honey you're supposed to write " [QUOTE]" and then type what you want to quote followed by "[ /QUOTE ]". Not "[ QUOTE, what you want to quote, and then ]". Or
just press where it says QUOTE under "Instant UBB Code", and write the information between both "QUOTE".
Got it?

Edit: Sorry, I didn't see Thuryl's post. Though it seems as if it didn't help.

[ Monday, February 20, 2006 13:09: Message edited by: Selima ]
BANNED
Member # 6554
Profile #43
quote:
If you have very different elves, fine
they are, they don't even have pointed ears

--------------------
join me!
BANNED
Member # 6554
Profile #44
quote:
So does anything actually happen on Vamalas?
yes, lots, i simply haven't gotten to that yet!

--------------------
join me!
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #45
quote:

quote:

That's hardly much of a difference... what about your elves' culture?

And again, please stop double posting...

(why do I even bother saying that anymore?)

--------------------
Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.

I hate undead. I really, really, really, really hate undead. With a passion.
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #46
Originally by arghhhhhhhhh:

quote:
ever read dragonlance?
AND ERAGON!
In case anyone missed Dikiyoba's point before, while the dragons in the Eragon series were spectacular, THE ELVES WERE BORING! Thank you.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #47
quote:

quote:

If they're elves without ears, I'm unimpressed. If they have neither ears nor the other hallmarks (earmarks?) of elves, why are you calling them elves?

quote:
Originally written by Ephesos
The fact that the life on the planet is doomed anyway kind of trivializes anything that happens before the apocalypse.

Earth won't be around forever, but I'm not terribly concerned with how my actions will effect anything billions of years in the future.

—Alorael, who will settle for making mere millenia of difference.
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #48
The next 500-1000 years would be good enough for me. I'm modest. :P

--------------------
Encyclopaedia ErmarianaForum ArchivesForum StatisticsRSS [Topic / Forum]
My BlogPolarisI eat novels for breakfast.
Polaris is dead, long live Polaris.
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair.
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #49
Guys, guys, be easy on our poor friend arghhhhhh. (sp?) I thought it was okay to double post as long as you're responding to two different ideas. He seems to be just taking advantage of this rule instead of the rest of us who put all our responses in one quote so it doesn't look like our post count is all we live for anymore. :P

--------------------
-ben4808

Pages