We Never Stop Stripping

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: We Never Stop Stripping
Shaper
Member # 6292
Profile #25
One malted battery acid tastes about as good as another.

--------------------
A4 Items List A4 Singleton G4 Items List G4 Forging List G4 Insidious Infiltrator NR Items List
Law Bringer
Member # 6489
Profile Homepage #26
quote:
Originally written by Imban:

It's even more amusing when, with things like some allergy pills, they never actually mention the ailment that the medicine is supposed to address, instead just telling me that I should talk to my doctor about it. For no reason.
That's because they're required by law to mention all the side effects if they say what the medication is for.

--------------------
"You're drinking liquor because you're thirsty? How nasty is your freaking water?" —Lazarus
Spiderweb Chat Room
Avernum RPSummariesOoCRoster
Shadow Vale - My site, home of the Spiderweb Chat Database, BoA Scenario Database, & the A1 Quest List, among other things.
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #27
quote:
Originally written by Thuryl:

The purpose of a lot of advertising (although not all of it) isn't to make you purchase product A: it's to make you choose brand X of product A once you've already decided to purchase product A. Brand recognition is a big part of that. A particularly catchy Coke ad rarely increases overall cola sales by much; it just takes sales away from Pepsi.
Point taken. But for something like "deodorant," you're going to have to purchase the product anyway. I mean, so far as any human being who doesn't want to smell like crap is concerned, product A is unavoidable. So, I guess, my point still stands.

--------------------
Posts: 6936 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #28
Actually, that supports my point as well. If almost everyone in the target market buys a particular product and every brand of it does pretty much the same thing, then the only purpose of advertising is to make you choose one brand over another by giving that brand a better image or a higher public profile.

[ Saturday, February 11, 2006 23:00: Message edited by: Thuryl ]

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Shaper
Member # 6292
Profile #29
To make a somewhat related point, I think having bought into the post-industrial world assumption that the only way to not smell bad is to use deodorant shows how effective dominant thinking and commercial propaganda has been overall.

To not smell bad, we really need merely to stop ingesting processed foods or anything else with significant quantities of toxins. This works for me. I smell bad only when I eat badly. Stress of any kind makes it worse in those cases, which is interesting in itself.

I don't use deodorant, primarily because of the controversial issue of clogging one's pores with aluminum salts, which are in themselves toxic to human bodies.

But who even thinks outside the box when it comes to all the "normal" modern chemical wizardry we subject ourselves to? Advertising has been successful indeed. We believe in the necessity of many things we never needed before. How did anyone in the world have teeth before toothpaste? Contrary to popular belief, for instance, many medieval peoples actually had better teeth than the average American with modern diet and soils stripped of essential minerals.

[ Saturday, February 11, 2006 23:19: Message edited by: Synergy ]

--------------------
A4 Items List A4 Singleton G4 Items List G4 Forging List G4 Insidious Infiltrator NR Items List
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #30
The main benefit to toothpaste, and brushing, is that one still has teeth long past the average age of death 100 years ago. I also subscribe to the eat healthily, eschew deodorant, cadre. It is only after eating crap that I smell like it. Of course I do notice it more now that I quit quieting my nostrils.

Edit - Still waiting on that phone number. I can't believe you didn't write it down. Keep watching the telly and let me know.

[ Saturday, February 11, 2006 23:30: Message edited by: Jumpin' Salmon ]

--------------------
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:

Well, I'm at least pretty sure that Salmon is losing.

Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #31
There are really three kinds of ads that I can think of. Ads for Coca-Cola, McDonalds, or Nike don't have to tell you what the product is or why it's superior. They just have to make you think of the product so some day, when you're thirsty, hungry, or in need of shoes, you'll pick that product over the competition.

Ads for a better washing machine don't have to tell you what a washing machine is, but there is no washing machine brand with which I am very familiar. The real goal may be to convince you that a washing machine is very good so that you may go to buy a washing machine and see the label and remember that it's a good machine.

The third kind of ad is probably one of the most powerful for cultural change: ads for things you didn't know about yesterday but can't live without today. Most probably aren't successful, but someone had to buy the first toothpaste. (Before mass adveritsement, possibly, but the principle holds.)

—Alorael, who is baffled by the ads that don't actually convey what the particular product is. Advertisements that seem to be for one thing and that end up being for another are also odd. An iPod ad pushing a car at the very end springs to mind. Finally, there has been a recent move towards having the side effects of drugs announced slowly and clearly, which has led to some commercials that briefly say that a drug is wonderful and then a lengthy catalogue of potential deaths. If one were considering the drug before the commercial, one might reconsider.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Shaper
Member # 5450
Profile Homepage #32
quote:
Originally written by Jumpin' Salmon:

Edit - Still waiting on that phone number. I can't believe you didn't write it down. Keep watching the telly and let me know.
1800-167-197 (or something similar) was the local number for me last night.

$5 per message, subscription fee $6. To stop receiving messages, text 'stop' to 1800-167-197.

--------------------
I'll put a Spring in your step.
:ph34r:
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #33
The fee is probably higher for international calls.

--------------------
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #34
In Holland there aren't many ads that are worth mentioning. there are many who are jujst funny, but not much that are just stupid. I do remember this American commercial we got to see on the news (it was a demonstration of some of the most crappy medicines available). It was about a medicine that was supposed to relief pains from reuma. however, after they said the main purpose, we heard of several life threatening diseases one could get from it. I couldn't stop laughing. it seemed just to stupid to make a medicine that makes small pains better, but in the meantime causes cancer.

--------------------
Play and rate my scenarios:

Where the rivers meet
View my upcoming scenario: The Nephil Search: Escape.

Give us your drek!
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #35
The pain of rheumatoid arthritis is a whole lot less funny if one actually suffers from it.

--------------------
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #36
The wackier and more musical the ads are, the better. My least favorite ads are for medicines and cars, although there are a few good ones in each category.

And with regards to not using deodorant - what about after strenuous physical activity?

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
Encyclopedia Ermariana - Trapped in the Closet
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #37
quote:
Kelandon: "I had a teacher in middle school..."
Did you ever. And not just the one.

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #38
quote:

The pain of rheumatoid arthritis is a whole lot less funny if one actually suffers from it.
Yes, that's true, but figure this: You listen to a commercial in which they prais one function of a medicine, followed by an enormous list of possible faults, one of which is liver cancer. Is it worth it?

--------------------

Where the rivers meet

Give us your drek!
Lifecrafter
Member # 6403
Profile #39
If it gets rid of rheumatoid arthritis, yes.

--------------------
??? ??????
???? ?????
Agent
Member # 5814
Profile #40
quote:
Originally written by Thralni, The flying Dutchmen:

quote:

Yes, that's true, but figure this: You listen to a commercial in which they prais one function of a medicine, followed by an enormous list of possible faults, one of which is liver cancer. Is it worth it?

That's up to the user-to-be. You have to decide for yourself whether the slight risk of getting a deadly cancer is greater or less that the pain which restricts you and which you have to deal with every day.

--------------------
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon
Well, I'm at least pretty

Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #41
Yeah. Death gets a bad rap.

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00
Lifecrafter
Member # 1768
Profile #42
Off topic tKel:
quote:
There are those of us who oppose birth control by means of a technicality, that teknikalitee being that certain pills cause the death of an organism, whilst others simply prevent the organism from existing in the first place.
Basically, I have no qualms about preventing fertilization. Preventing implantation seems…iffy to me so I don't think I'd go for that. (And I've been tested by a pregnency scare before.) I know it's really technical, but I'd rather go by a rule than by no rule.

(And yes, we could get into a big discussion as to whether preventing new life from occuring is just as bad as killing, but we're not going to.)

--------------------
"Oh, North Wind, why frighten others?
In Nature's family all are brothers.
Puff and blow and wheeze and hiss;
You can't frighten Shingebiss.
Bring your frost and ice and snow;
I'm still free to come and go.
You can never frighten me,
One who never fears is FREE!"
-Shingebiss, the mighty duck
Lifecrafter
Member # 6700
Profile Homepage #43
quote:
Originally written by Slartucker:

The Duo at Lenar Labs heartily agrees.

--------------------
The Silent Assassin endorses this message.

--------------------
-Lenar Labs
What's Your Destiny?

Ushmushmeifa: Lenar's power is almighty and ineffable.

All hail lord Noric, god of... well, something important, I'm sure.
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #44
This drug is not the only medicine out there. I'd rather take something else, only to take this drug when I see no other way. By the way, the cance was one of about twenty things you could get from the drug, risk wasn't mentioned).

--------------------

Where the rivers meet

Give us your drek!
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #45
Toxicity is part of medicine. If the chances of toxicity are extremely high, the medicine isn't approved. The fact that the drug was approved says something about the chances of bad side effects versus the effects of the drug.

Rheumatoid arthritis is crippling, agonizing, and awful. If people who are dyiing are allowed to make quality of life decisions that shorten their lives but make them more worth living, why not let people who aren't dying run the risk in exchange for making life worth living?

—Alorael, who would like to point out that many medications carry black box warnings that sound dire. More investigation often shows that the chance of dropping dead is minute, or that the worst effects were only seen in animal trials at doses unlikely to be matched by any real patient.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #46
maybe. Ah, what do I actually care. i don't feel like starting a discussion about this.

--------------------

Where the rivers meet

Give us your drek!
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #47
quote:
Originally written by Slartucker:

It's kind of hard to say what modern society fears more, death or old age. Think of the insane measures taken to avoid both... from Botox to depressing nursing homes ("They check in, but they don't check out"). In our desperation to stave off death (instead of trying to live with it and cope), we've created a new age group consisting mostly of people who are too frail to truly enjoy life, and who fall victim to a host of age-correlated diseases.

The longer we try to stay on this planet, the more our bodies and minds decay, and we keep pushing this back further. Sure, a lucky few stay healthy 'til the end, but who wants to live to 100 if it means you'll probably have Alzheimer's and arthritis (or some similarly unpleasant condition)?

Thus, any kind of ad devised to play off of those fears will be ludicrously successful among the general populace... particularly among women, who've been unjustly burdened with such societal pressures for ages.

...It's all junk. And on a very literal level, I don't know any girls who are actually attracted to the smell of Axe. I've only ever seen it used as a way to cover up cigarette smoke, anyway. The stuff smells horrible...

EDIT: Removed some questionable phrasing, even though it's still quoted in David's post.

[ Sunday, February 12, 2006 13:32: Message edited by: Ephesos ]

--------------------
Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.

I hate undead. I really, really, really, really hate undead. With a passion.
Fire! Fire! Fire! Fire!
Member # 919
Profile #48
quote:
Originally written by Ephesos:

Thus, any kind of ad devised to play off of those fears will be ludicrously successful among the general populace... particularly among women, who've been unjustly burdened with such societal pressures for ages. Want to feel young? Spray this stuff all over your body and you'll have women crawling all over you!
...I don't know where you live, but I think I have yet to see an ad aimed specifically at geriatric lesbians... :P

I think Thralni's got a point, seeing as this is a discussion of advertisement, not the actual products being advertised. Regardless of the actual risk of these side effects versus the potential benefits, it seems somewhat ridiculous to laud a drug in the most abstract way possible (the sexual ambiguous old men and women sprinting once the edges of rocky cliffs come to mind) and then spend just as long listing side effects worse than the disease itself. If the possibility of each risk were given, it might be less of a dissuasion, but it never is.

I think we all know why it is that pharmaceutical companies always include this list in their ads, and there's not much they can do about it. But that doesn't make it any less amusing, just more practical.

--------------------
And though the musicians would die, the music would live on in the imaginations of all who heard it.
-The Last Pendragon

Polaris = joy.

In case of emergency, break glass.
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #49
quote:
Originally written by Lady Davida:

quote:
Originally written by Ephesos:

Thus, any kind of ad devised to play off of those fears will be ludicrously successful among the general populace... particularly among women, who've been unjustly burdened with such societal pressures for ages. Want to feel young? Spray this stuff all over your body and you'll have women crawling all over you!
...I don't know where you live, but I think I have yet to see an ad aimed specifically at geriatric lesbians... :P

You're right, I probably could've arranged those thoughts better... :D

--------------------
Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.

I hate undead. I really, really, really, really hate undead. With a passion.

Pages