What will come after Avernum4 for Windows?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: What will come after Avernum4 for Windows?
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #25
I'd rather see another epic adventure. I go elsewhere for my comic adventuring. I want my epic adventuring fixes here.

Dikiyoba would like something besides Avernum and Geneforge and would like height too. Combat and graphic alterations can be dealt with but height is an element sorely lacking in G1, G2, G3, and A4.
Apprentice
Member # 6003
Profile #26
quote:
Originally written by Slartucker:

Jeff has consistently proven himself as a super one-man studio... whatever the failings of the recent games, I think a comedy effort on his part would end up being a real gem.

I thought Jeff did the programming and the writing, not much of the art.
Shock Trooper
Member # 4239
Profile #27
By "studio", Slartucker meant "production house," "creation team," "game designer," etc. He didn't mean an art studio.

--------------------
There are two kinds of game players...those who are newbies, and those who were.
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #28
Where do you go for comic adventuring, Dikiyoba? I haven't seen much out there, I'm curious if you've found anything especially cool.

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #29
Kingdom of Loathing. www.kingdomofloathing.com. Either you'll like it or you won't. I happen to like it.

Edit: Dikiyoba also writes stories, so Dikiyoba doesn't have to go anywhere for those. That doesn't help anyone else any, of course, and they aren't games, but Dikiyoba is never bored. With the Order Of Zany Electronics around, there's never a dull moment.

[ Friday, January 27, 2006 20:29: Message edited by: Dikiyoba ]
Lifecrafter
Member # 6700
Profile Homepage #30
I expect that the next item on the production list would be G4.

I wouldn't mind seeing an entirely new concept spring forth, myself. Maybe if Jeff wandered away from the typical medieval fantasy for a little bit, just to spice things up.
Not sure what it would end up being, though.

It wouldn't hurt if he finished the G and A sagas first. Of course, the good story never quite ends...

-------------------
The Silent Assassin sees himself in a city of strange lights, which fly by in racing patterns and strange colors.
I wonder if I should pull his head out of the jellyfish tank.
Nah.

--------------------
-Lenar Labs
What's Your Destiny?

Ushmushmeifa: Lenar's power is almighty and ineffable.

All hail lord Noric, god of... well, something important, I'm sure.
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #31
Yeah, I was hoping you weren't going to say KoL. I like KoL, but find it very annoying that you aren't allowed to proceed at your own pace. I follow the binge/purge model of gaming, I guess. It also gets kind of repetitive at times...

LL: What, Geneforge doesn't count as wandering away from typical fantasy?

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #32
Avernum is a little closer to normal medival fantasy than Geneforge but the first thing I think of when I hear fantasy is elves, dragons and wizards not Vahnatai, slithzerikai, and GIFTS.

A long time ago though, Dikiyoa read a fantasy novel where the lead character was dying from cancer. It made him an unbribeable diplomat. How often do people think cancer when they hear fantasy?

Edit: Simutaneous posting. No wonder it was taking so long to load. I don't really like the limited number of adventures a day either but it's probably better for me not to be able to play as long as I want. I don't like the KoL forums, either. Too much secrecy, too many spoiler tags, and not enough sense of community.

[ Friday, January 27, 2006 22:36: Message edited by: Dikiyoba ]
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #33
What was this novel?

Avernum is certainly fantasy, but it is distinctive enough to stand out. Mainly the basic concept of humans forced to live in a hostile underground environment, because it makes a unique fusion of the 'magical underworld' archetype with the rugged-pioneers-carving-a-life-from-nothing theme.

--------------------
We're not doing cool. We're doing pretty.
Posts: 3335 | Registered: Thursday, September 4 2003 07:00
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #34
Curse of Chalion by Lois McMaster Bujold.

Dikiyoba is thankful that everything can be found on the Internet if one is willing to look hard enough for it. Up to this point, Dikiyoba couldn't remember exactly what it was called.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #35
quote:
Originally written by Student of Trinity:

Avernum is certainly fantasy, but it is distinctive enough to stand out. Mainly the basic concept of humans forced to live in a hostile underground environment, because it makes a unique fusion of the 'magical underworld' archetype with the rugged-pioneers-carving-a-life-from-nothing theme.
So is it your contention that plots can be assembled in much the same way as exquisite corpse poems, producing something original that people will appreciate simply by combining widely-used concepts in novel ways?

That's not a rhetorical question, by the way.

[ Saturday, January 28, 2006 07:44: Message edited by: Thuryl ]

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #36
Sure, I think it can work. Up to a point I think it's even likely to work, in the sense that with decent execution the results will probably be better than decent. Conversely, if you squint right you can probably analyze almost anything that seems really creative as an original mixture of pre-existing good things.

Re cancerous diplomat fantasy:
For some reason the given description did make me think of The Curse of Chalion, but I don't think that's actually an accurate description of the book. Perhaps my memory is bad, but I didn't think the affliction in question was ever diagnosed as cancer in the book, though it certainly sounded like it to the reader; and I don't think it played any role in keeping the character honest. If you ask me, the originality of the Chalion series is theological. The gods are very important in that world, and they are serious gods, rather than just notional big-black-and-white-hats, as is usually the case, or gothic spooks, as is pretty much the only alternative.

--------------------
We're not doing cool. We're doing pretty.
Posts: 3335 | Registered: Thursday, September 4 2003 07:00
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #37
Re cancerous diplomat fantasy:

It wasn't named as a tumor but it was described as such. It was a malignant, too, so I feel it can be described as cancer. Magically caused cancer but still cancer. True, it didn't keep the main character honest but it did help him negotiate with the sly king of a different country. (The king was the one who called him unbribeable.)

That's about the only scene I can recall with any certainty but I remember the gods too. They felt as if they actually belonged to that world, whereas a lot of gods feel thrown in just to give a character or plot supernatural powers or to give characters someone to worship and/or curse.

Just something about Spiderweb Software games:

Dikiyoba hopes that Geneforge 5 will be the next game out and that players will be given the chance to be a Giant Intelligent Friendly Talking Spider.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #38
Avernum doesn't have elves and dwarves, but it has plenty of wizards and dragons. Lizard men and cat men aren't all that original. Avernum is firmly in the standard (albeit non-Tolkien/D&D) camp. On the other hand, it's not all stock material, as SoT says, so it's still worth playing.

That's my main objection to A3, though. Without Avernum, you just have a boring generic fantasy surface with an evil race trying to destroy humanity. How novel!

Geneforge, fortunately, really isn't your ordinary fantasy. Creating or summoning underlings isn't all that unusual, but serviles as a major, important race is different.

—Alorael, who agrees with Dikiyoba. The Curse of Chalion makes it very clear that the growth is a malignant tumor even without using the words "cancer," "malignant," or "tumor." The doctor even convinces his patient that it's a teratoma (without using the word "teratoma," of course). The unbribeable diplomat moment is just that, though: a moment. The tumor is important, but not so much for any specific moment.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #39
quote:
Originally written by Dikiyoba:

Dikiyoba hopes that Geneforge 5 will be the next game out and that players will be given the chance to be a Giant Intelligent Friendly Talking Spider.
Are you hoping that "Geneforge 4 - Revenge of the Drakons" never makes it to press??

--------------------
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:

Well, I'm at least pretty sure that Salmon is losing.

Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #40
No. Dikiyoba was just trying to make Dikiyoba's suggestion as absurd as possible. Logically, G4 will come out and then G5 will come out without the option to be GIFTS since GIFTS aren't present in the Geneforge series. But maybe the option to be GIFTS will be present in Avernum five and three-quarters.
Warrior
Member # 6485
Profile #41
IF Nethrogate 2 comes out I hope that it will have somthing other then Romans and Celts

Hmmmmm

MANGOLS AND CHINESE!!! :D

--------------------
I love Spiderweb Software!!
Who doesn't?
My hints on making a new party.
USE CHARECTER EDITER!!
----------------------------------
10 million Cave giant chiefs +
1 million drake lords ageinst me =

easy
Law Bringer
Member # 6489
Profile Homepage #42
quote:
Originally written by IT .:

IF Nethrogate 2 comes out I hope that it will have somthing other then Romans and Celts
OK. It's been said many times before, and I'm going to say it again. There is [i]NOT[/i] going to ever be a Nethergate 2. What Jeff is planning to do at some point in the future is a revamped Nethergate with new content added. The impression I get is that it will be sort of like the "Tales of the Sword Coast" expansion to Baldur's Gate. It's not another story as much as added content to the original.

EDIT: I forgot this was UBB and tried using HTML tags :rolleyes:

[ Saturday, January 28, 2006 21:59: Message edited by: Tyranicus ]

--------------------
"You're drinking liquor because you're thirsty? How nasty is your freaking water?" —Lazarus
Spiderweb Chat Room
Avernum RPSummariesOoCRoster
Shadow Vale - My site, home of the Spiderweb Chat Database, BoA Scenario Database, & the A1 Quest List, among other things.
Lifecrafter
Member # 6700
Profile Homepage #43
quote:
Originally written by Dikiyoba:

Avernum is a little closer to normal medival fantasy than Geneforge but the first thing I think of when I hear fantasy is elves, dragons and wizards not Vahnatai, slithzerikai, and GIFTS.

quote:
Originally written by Startucker:

LL: What, Geneforge doesn't count as wandering away from typical fantasy?

Forgive my lack of clarity. My definition of the fantasy genre is a bit broader than most, apparrently.

What I was speculating, but did not say, was the creation of an RPG that does not involve knives and blades, directly, anyway.
Understandably, Geneforge is a far cry from WoW, but in my understanding and definition of fantasy, they fit together in the same form and general "old-world" feel.
I have read some particularly good fantasies that are set in the modern world and future, that don't claim to create a world outside of with what we are familiar. I was thinking along that line...
Perhaps I ramble too much.

Dikiyoba: I'd want to be a GIFT, Too!

--------------------
The Silent Assassin heartily believes that Lord Grimm rambles too much. I find it odd that he never quite shuts up, himself.

--------------------
-Lenar Labs
What's Your Destiny?

Ushmushmeifa: Lenar's power is almighty and ineffable.

All hail lord Noric, god of... well, something important, I'm sure.

Pages