What will come after Avernum4 for Windows?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: What will come after Avernum4 for Windows?
Warrior
Member # 5701
Profile #0
After Avernum 4 comes out for Windows, and aside from any other updating of older Avernums to run in OSX, what will the next game be from Spiderweb?

A new Geneforge? Or an entirely new series altogether?
Anyone in the know or is it still too early to tell?
Infiltrator
Member # 5576
Profile Homepage #1
Jeff has alluded to an Avernum 5, but it seems unlikely that he would jump right into that directly after finishing A4, even if he really does decide to do it.

--------------------
Überraschung des Dosenöffners!
"On guard, you musty sofa!"
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #2
My bet is, it'll be unoriginal.

--------------------
Posts: 6936 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Law Bringer
Member # 6489
Profile Homepage #3
Probably a revamped Nethergate or Geneforge 4. Jeff has said that he's going to be doing both of them, and I presume that they will come before Avernum 5.

[ Monday, January 23, 2006 20:39: Message edited by: Tyranicus ]

--------------------
"You're drinking liquor because you're thirsty? How nasty is your freaking water?" —Lazarus
Spiderweb Chat Room
Avernum RPSummariesOoCRoster
Shadow Vale - My site, home of the Spiderweb Chat Database, BoA Scenario Database, & the A1 Quest List, among other things.
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #4
If "revamped" Nethergate is just Nethergate with a geneforge treatment, blood will be spilled.

--------------------
Posts: 6936 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #5
It's supposed to be Nethergate Carbonized and given some new material. A director's cut, if you will.

—Alorael, who expects G5 to be the next Spiderweb offering.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #6
GF4 is extremely likely after A4. A5 is extremely likely after GF4. A revamped Nethergate (Jeff claimed that this would include "new material") is likely somewhere in the middle of that or afterwards.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Shaper
Member # 247
Profile Homepage #7
If he does the Nethergate thing I may actually play it for the first time.

--------------------
The Knight Between Posts.
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #8
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:

GF4 is extremely likely after A4. A5 is extremely likely after GF4. A revamped Nethergate (Jeff claimed that this would include "new material") is likely somewhere in the middle of that or afterwards.
Or perhaps after GF7 and A7? I thought Jeff didn't particularly intend to do anything with Nethergate...

Also, since when are you titled "Off with their heads"? :P

--------------------
Encyclopaedia ErmarianaForum ArchivesForum StatisticsRSS [Topic / Forum]
My BlogPolarisI eat novels for breakfast.
Polaris is dead, long live Polaris.
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #9
Aran: I refer you to this thread.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.

Lifecrafter
Member # 6403
Profile #10
That thread still doesn't explain why you're entitled "Off With Their Heads"

--------------------
??? ??????
???? ?????
Guardian
Member # 6670
Profile Homepage #11
I could be wrong, but I thought I read a thread a while ago where Jeff was toying with the idea of a comedy RPG.

Meh. I think Avernum has the right balance of humour and storyline (I don't know how prevalent humour is in Geneforge).

EDIT: Stupid pronouns with unclear antecedents.

--------------------
The beast looks up at you mutely. You match gazes with it, trying to achieve some sort of common ground. In the end, you feel personally enriched, but you learn nothing.

[ Tuesday, January 24, 2006 10:46: Message edited by: Dintiradan ]
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #12
Toying with doesn't get the programming done or the bills paid. I'll believe it when I see it.

—Alorael, who does hope to see it. There's probably a market and it would certainly be a fun departure from the usual world saving.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Nuke and Pave
Member # 24
Profile Homepage #13
quote:
Originally written by Infernal666hate:

That thread still doesn't explain why you're entitled "Off With Their Heads"
His new title is the evidence of the title-racket Drakey and *i are running: Drakey gives an unpleasant custom title. The victim bribes *i to remove it. Then Drakey gives a new, even more unpleasant title. The victim bribes *i again... Since Drakey and *i are the same person, it works out quite well.

--------------------
Be careful with a word, as you would with a sword,
For it too has the power to kill.
However well placed word, unlike a well placed sword,
Can also have the power to heal.
Warrior
Member # 5701
Profile #14
quote:
Originally written by Dintiradan:

[QB]

Meh. I think Avernum has the right balance of humour and storyline (I don't know how prevalent humour is in Geneforge).

IMO, the Geneforge games are a little more serious overall when compared to the Avernum games. There's an air of urgency in the dialog.
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #15
Except for the pyroroamers.

Dikiyoba.
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #16
Actually, Pyroroamer dialog is especially urgent.

--------------------
We're not doing cool. We're doing pretty.
Posts: 3335 | Registered: Thursday, September 4 2003 07:00
Lifecrafter
Member # 1768
Profile #17
I realize he's got bills to pay, but I'm still crying over BoE, I haven't become desensitized yet.

EDIT:
quote:
Originally written by Prometheus:

My bet is, it'll be unoriginal.
Word…yo.

[ Tuesday, January 24, 2006 17:37: Message edited by: Desert Pl@h ]

--------------------
"Oh, North Wind, why frighten others?
In Nature's family all are brothers.
Puff and blow and wheeze and hiss;
You can't frighten Shingebiss.
Bring your frost and ice and snow;
I'm still free to come and go.
You can never frighten me,
One who never fears is FREE!"
-Shingebiss, the mighty duck
Agent
Member # 4574
Profile #18
First I would like to say that I am NOT saying the exact opposite of what I mean.

Now, I DO think that Jeff will do an Avernum 5 next. I also DO think he will do that Nethergate thing. Afterall Nethergate ISN'T the MOST historically based. I DON'T think that he will do Geneforge next.

( note: everything in caps is the opposite of what I really mean.)

--------------------
Constitutional monarchies are the in monarchies.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #19
omg wtf

--------------------

Lifecrafter
Member # 585
Profile Homepage #20
quote:
Originally written by Dintiradan:

I could be wrong, but I thought I read a thread a while ago where Jeff was toying with the idea of a comedy RPG.

A quirky RPG might be a very good departure for Jeff. In terms of old school RPGs done in that nature, I've seen a lot of stinkers, (i.e. The Adventures of Blork) but you also have games like Earthbound which manage to be a bit off beat without making you cringe.

--------------------
Polaris Board
Warrior
Member # 6689
Profile #21
I want an even more epic Avernum adventure. As yet I haven't had the opportunity to play A4, but I'm far less interested in caves. I loved exploring Valorim! It would be pretty sweet to be able to explore the rest of the rather flippin' vast Empire. Maybe long before the Empire had reached its current borders (or wrapped around the world in effect creating no borders), there were some heroic adventurers who killed stuff. That would be a fun game. He could always throw in some caves and the creation of Avernum. But it's his thing. Regardless, I'm always stoked for more Avernum!

--------------------
--Dachnaz
Apprentice
Member # 6730
Profile #22
quote:
Originally written by Semodius:

I want an even more epic Avernum adventure. As yet I haven't had the opportunity to play A4, but I'm far less interested in caves. I loved exploring Valorim! It would be pretty sweet to be able to explore the rest of the rather flippin' vast Empire. Maybe long before the Empire had reached its current borders (or wrapped around the world in effect creating no borders), there were some heroic adventurers who killed stuff. That would be a fun game. He could always throw in some caves and the creation of Avernum. But it's his thing. Regardless, I'm always stoked for more Avernum!
So long as the plot is new. The second I heard the whole 'monsters invading the caverns' thing I thought 'Dang. I must've really annoyed Rentar-Ihrno.'

--------------------
'So the lord spoke unto the prophet, and he said,
"Go find he that was white, and show him back to our path."
And the prophet went forth, and found he that was once white. But he was not black, for he had become grey. And when the prophet spoke to him he replied,
"I am as one dead. Leave me, and go back to your lord."
So he that was grey became Curvox, lord of the Shadows. Never of darkness, never of light.'

-Book of Fates, Chapter 34 - 'The Grey Prophet'
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #23
Well, Jeff obviously can't just take a break and spend several weeks thinking about what to do next after A4. Unless he writes more books.

Also, I kinda like your idea, Semodius. He should change the experience system so each kill doesn't get you so much. That way, if will take longer to max out your level and therefore allow for a longer game.

--------------------
-ben4808
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #24
"I've seen a lot of stinkers, (i.e. The Adventures of Blork) but you also have games like Earthbound which manage to be a bit off beat without making you cringe."

Blork, of course, was a strictly amateur one-person effort, whereas EarthBound had a very well-staffed big-name video game studio behind it, plus it was a sequel that took most of its creative ideas from the first game.

Jeff has consistently proven himself as a super one-man studio... whatever the failings of the recent games, I think a comedy effort on his part would end up being a real gem.

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00

Pages