Website modifications

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Website modifications
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #0
I'm completely rebeuilding my website. I wanted to ask everybody who would like a link to his/her website on my webpage, to look at the links page of my site, and see if a link is there. otherwise, this is your chance to ask me to put a link there.

Kelandon: I was wondering if you could alter the description of the link to my website, please? maybe you could write there that it also hosts (well, not yet, but it will come there one day) the Nephilian grammar and vocabulary guide? Thanks in advance.

--------------------
Play and rate my scenarios:

Where the rivers meet
View my upcoming scenario: The Nephil Search: Escape.

Give us your drek!
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #1
All in all, asking people to update their links to a website before updating the content is at the very least bad form.

Why don't you update the site and then tell people? That way, when the updating takes a couple of weeks (and it does 80% of the time; I know what I'm talking about) you won't need to tell us again after you're done. :)

--------------------
Encyclopaedia ErmarianaForum ArchivesForum StatisticsRSS [Topic / Forum]
My BlogPolarisI eat novels for breakfast.
Polaris is dead, long live Polaris.
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair.
Infiltrator
Member # 4256
Profile #2
Is it just me, or do you refer to Kel as 'her' in your description of the Pink and Pretty?

Edit: Ah... New facts for Slith Culture. Great. Perhaps we shall see this gender changing in some future productions.

[ Friday, January 20, 2006 07:07: Message edited by: AxB ]

--------------------
"Let's just say that if complete and utter chaos was lightning, he'd be the sort to stand on a hilltop in a thunderstorm wearing wet copper armour and shouting 'All gods are false'."
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #3
quote:
Kelandon's pink and pretty page! Kelandon is a fantastic scenario designer. Designer of the excellent scenario "Bahssikava," and soon to realease "Exodus." the Slith adventure continues. Also, on her site are some helpful articles. And the nicest thing, Kelandon is bussy constructinf a Slith language. Follow the link on his own page, or click here.
Kelandon, being a Slith, is distantly related to Dragons.
And a dragon is notorious for switching his gender whenever it suits her.

:)

[ Friday, January 20, 2006 15:22: Message edited by: Arancaytar ]

--------------------
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #4
First Alorael, now Kelandon...anyone else confused (or cuonfusing others) about their gender?

Also, Awakened serviles must have the ability to change gender too.

Dikiyoba admits this isn't as funny or usful as Dikiyoba originally hoped.
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #5
Heh. :)
Now hold on a second. I've actually met Kel, and he's *definitely* a guy.
Well, he was one six years ago anyway. Hmm...

Of course, that was before he started playing those evil pagan computer games by Jeff Vogel, which probably made him go crazy and start doing the devil's work.

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #6
Look, those who want their link up there, say it and say what I should write. The modifications are almost done. I'm just waiting for people who want a link to their site.

--------------------

Where the rivers meet

Give us your drek!
Agent
Member # 3364
Profile Homepage #7
Might as well. TrueSite for Blades "url=http://www.geocities.com/tracihedlund/index.html"
Where available maps, hintsheets, and walkthroughs for BoA are hosted. The same is available for BoE as well as a BoE graphics archive.

You may omit the second sentence if you want to pander to only BoA.

--------------------
"Even the worst Terror from Hell can be transformed to a testimony from Heaven!" - Rev. David Wood 6\23\05

"Do all the good you can, by all the means you can, in all the ways you can, in all the places you can, at all the times you can, to all the people you can, as long as you ever can." - John Wesley
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #8
...Thralni, your site does look incredibly amateurish. I mean, worse than the first incarnation of TMU. (Although admittedly, first TMU was basically a broadband-only site.)

I mean, really. What's wrong with Black on White or vice-versa?

--------------------
Posts: 6936 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #9
It wasn't that bad. Admittedly, it isn't very complete yet.

Dikiyoba hates the ads, though. The site is nice and the information there was nice but the ads weren't so nice. They bug Dikiyoba for some reason.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #10
We have seen pictures of Kel. His outward appearance makes his gender unambiguous. The lack of scales was deceptive, though.

—Alorael, who wouldn't want to draw too many conclusions from a few photos, though. There are always those evil people who post fake pictures. And there's always the chance of a life-altering event between those photos and now.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #11
Well, the dragons in Avernum and Exile are sometimes referred to by different genders by the same person (though not in the same sentence as by Thralni here...)

--------------------
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #12
quote:
Originally written by Dikiyoba:

It wasn't that bad. Admittedly, it isn't very complete yet.

Dikiyoba hates the ads, though. The site is nice and the information there was nice but the ads weren't so nice. They bug Dikiyoba for some reason.

If you don't like ads, you can always splurge and swith to Freewebs. :P

[/pointlessadvertising]

--------------------
-ben4808
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #13
quote:
Originally written by Slartucker:

I've actually met Kel, and he's *definitely* a guy.
This gave me pause for a moment as I wondered how many people in the community could vouch for this on the same grounds (or on even firmer grounds, as the case may be). I count at least three, if you allow an expansive view of "in the community." Four if you allow all people who could vouch for this simply on firmer grounds than the picture.

[ Friday, January 20, 2006 23:04: Message edited by: Kelandon ]

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #14
Uh. On what grounds could the three you mentioned vouch for it? o_O

--------------------
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #15
quote:
Originally written by Prometheus:

...Thralni, your site does look incredibly amateurish. I mean, worse than the first incarnation of TMU. (Although admittedly, first TMU was basically a broadband-only site.)

I mean, really. What's wrong with Black on White or vice-versa?

Um, maybe you didn't realize, but this is the first web site I ever made. If you don't like this, I don't want to know what you have found of my former website. This website at least has links.

Dikiyoba, thanks. The ads is something I can't change, though. that's Angelfire's work. You also said it wasnt very complete yet. What do you suggest? Pictures maybe? I haven't got them, actually... If I knew how to put them on the site.

Jewels, I'll put your site together with the links when I have more people to put there, so I can do it all at once.

Ben, tell me more about Freewebs?

--------------------

Where the rivers meet

Give us your drek!
Agent
Member # 2759
Profile Homepage #16
quote:
Originally written by TM:

Thralni, your site does look incredibly amateurish
Judged by the standards of individual websites (and quite a lot of organisational ones) it's not so bad - simple, clear and not too ambitious (read: less annoying than most). The only really amateurish thing is the links to pages under construction.

quote:
And the nicest thing, Kelandon is bussy constructing a Slith language.
What an image this conjures up. I picture Kelandon as a big double decker London bus, ferrying sliths from Avernum to Lost Bahssikava. Painted pink and prettily, naturally. Maybe the bus has that Harry Potter ability to squeeze through the Avernite traffic, too.

--------------------
"I can't read this thread with that image. But then, that's not a complaint." -Scorpius

Geneforge 4 stuff. Also, everything I know about Avernum | Avernum 2 | Avernum 3 | Avernum 4
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #17
So how do I write it? English is my second language, not my mother tongue.

Also, forget Freewes. i tried it out, but I had problems on my mac, and wasn't sure at all it would work. Then I also discovered I needed to sign up for all kinds of services before I could do anthing. Thanks a lot, Freewebs.

I'm amazed by the things you people point out to be "amateurish." What do I care how the "under construction page" looks like!? Come on! It's only a temporary page! And what can be amateurish about the links? They are just links! maybe you could, instead of just saying what is wrong, also say how it can be improved.

[ Saturday, January 21, 2006 02:05: Message edited by: Thralni, Nephil translators & co. ]

--------------------

Where the rivers meet

Give us your drek!
Agent
Member # 2759
Profile Homepage #18
The word you probably wanted was "busy" - but I prefer bussy because of the mental images, above.

If a page is under construction it would better not to link to it for the time being - replace the link with a COMING SOON! plain text string. Then when the page is ready, update the index page. That way people don't have to follow a link and wait for a new page to download, in order to find out there's nothing there.

--------------------
"I can't read this thread with that image. But then, that's not a complaint." -Scorpius

Geneforge 4 stuff. Also, everything I know about Avernum | Avernum 2 | Avernum 3 | Avernum 4
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #19
there was something there once, but I romved it to later replace it with the new page. A direct link to it can be found in the "Nephilim language" topic in the Avernum trilogy forum. Enjoy the nephilian grammar.

EDIT: Jewels, the link is there. Um... Are you, Jewels, Gizmo? The site says by Gizmo

[ Saturday, January 21, 2006 03:39: Message edited by: Thralni, Nephil translators & co. ]

--------------------

Where the rivers meet

Give us your drek!
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #20
Well, the color scheme, for one. The large text, for another. And all of the text being centered also makes it seem amateurish.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
Encyclopedia Ermariana - Trapped in the Closet
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #21
Do you really think I care? Does something automatically make it amateurisch when it is centered, blue with white and large letters for the titles of the pages? Don't forget that this is my first attempt, okay?

--------------------

Where the rivers meet

Give us your drek!
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #22
You asked what made it look amateurish, and I told you.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
Encyclopedia Ermariana - Trapped in the Closet
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
The Establishment
Member # 6
Profile #23
A more "professional" website would make use of tables and such to do quick links on the left hand side with a paragrah on the other side with a list of updates and such. Also, centering all your text does seem a little amatuerish.

--------------------
Your flower power is no match for my glower power!
Posts: 3726 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #24
With all due respect, there are VERY FEW Ex- or Av-related web sites that do not look amateurish. As far as the site design goes I don't think Thralni's is horrible, and for a first attempt it's certainly fine. The white and yellow on blue isn't that great, but having white on a darker color is common among Blades sites.

Thralni, I have one big suggestion for you: When presenting your user with a number of links to other pages, DO NOT use complete sentences. Just make a bullet point list. Don't center it, and put the link at the BEGINNING of each line - if you really need explanatory test, put it after the link. That way, it is easy for someone to glance at the list and find what they want. As it stands now you have to slog through a lot of unnecessary words, which is annoying.

On Nephilian: I'm glad you are pursuing the language! I have a few comments.
1) Pronounciation: Your "FH" doesn't make sense. "TH" is a single sound, not two sounds, so replacing the T with the F as you suggest would essentially lead one to make a normal "F" sound -- but you differentiate those.
2) I like your use of animate/inanimate gender, which seems very appropriate to nephil shamanism.
3) The cases are a little confusing. You explain what they mean, but for some it's unclear how they are used. I guess you are making the language ergative-absolutive?

Out of curiosity, what *is* your first language?

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00

Pages