Rosetta

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Rosetta
Apprentice
Member # 6711
Profile #0
I just ordered one of the new duo-core intel iMacs. I was wondering if your software has been tested running through rosetta, and will it be updated with universal code to run on the new mac's natively?

Thanks
Warrior
Member # 5701
Profile #1
I'd certainly like to know as well since I'm pondering a similar purchase.
My gut tells me that the latest games should run just fine.
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #2
Do these Intel-based Mac's already exist? I didn't here about them being for sale as yet.

EDIT: Indeed. I hope that until July they put the Intel chip also in the Macmini.

[ Thursday, January 19, 2006 07:17: Message edited by: Thralni, Nephil translators & co. ]

--------------------
Play and rate my scenarios:

Where the rivers meet
View my upcoming scenario: The Nephil Search: Escape.

Give us your drek!
Apprentice
Member # 6711
Profile #3
They were annonced last week @ macworld. The apple stores received theirs 2 days ago. But you have been able to order them for a little over a week now. I ordered mine yesterday and it's estimated to ship on the 25th. Kinda stinks. I'm all about instant gratification.
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #4
So far reviewers are saying that the extra speed compensates for Rosetta, so that non-Intel apps run about the same as on a G5 iMac. Since Spiderweb games aren't really going to benefit from doubling in speed, I doubt Jeff will bother making them universal.

I have heard, though, that Classic is no more on the Intel Macs.

--------------------
We're not doing cool. We're doing pretty.
Posts: 3335 | Registered: Thursday, September 4 2003 07:00
Shock Trooper
Member # 4239
Profile #5
quote:
Originally written by Student of Trinity:

I have heard, though, that Classic is no more on the Intel Macs.
Yeah. So bye-bye Exile.

--------------------
There are two kinds of game players...those who are newbies, and those who were.
The Establishment
Member # 6
Profile #6
With Classic support gone, Jeff will likely need to Carbonize the old Exile series if he wants to continue selling them for Mac.

I'm not exactly sure if there will be any problems with using the current carbonized software on the new Intel chips. I'd be willing to bet they would work just fine as the new chip should support Carbon.

Of course, one can never know for absolute sure whether Avernum will work or not until someone actually tries running on the new chip.

--------------------
Your flower power is no match for my glower power!
Posts: 3726 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #7
I could've sworn this was on Tech Support. Moved, I guess...

--------------------
Encyclopaedia ErmarianaForum ArchivesForum StatisticsRSS [Topic / Forum]
My BlogPolarisI eat novels for breakfast.
Polaris is dead, long live Polaris.
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair.
The Establishment
Member # 6
Profile #8
Yeah, I moved it. Generally, I restrict Tech Support to current technical issues with Spiderweb Software programs. On further review, I suppose it could be in either place, but I already moved it. :P

--------------------
Your flower power is no match for my glower power!
Posts: 3726 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Apprentice
Member # 6711
Profile #9
Sorry didn't mean to post it in the wrong spot.
Shock Trooper
Member # 4239
Profile #10
quote:
Originally written by *i:

With Classic support gone, Jeff will likely need to Carbonize the old Exile series if he wants to continue selling them for Mac.
Despite the number of people on here asking about them, I'd be willing to bet that it's more worth Jeff's time to make a new game. Avernum was different as it's part of the current lineup, but Exile has been supplanted in commercial terms, regardless of what the BoE people think. ;)

quote:
I'm not exactly sure if there will be any problems with using the current carbonized software on the new Intel chips. I'd be willing to bet they would work just fine as the new chip should support Carbon.

Of course, one can never know for absolute sure whether Avernum will work or not until someone actually tries running on the new chip.

If Carbon support was gone, we'd know by now. That'd be a hugely stupid thing for Apple to do.

--------------------
There are two kinds of game players...those who are newbies, and those who were.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #11
Carbon is run natively by OS X, which means Rosetta will translate for the chip and OS X will still handle the program.

—Alorael, who would be shocked if Avernum didn't work. Supposedly the only things that will even be noticeably different are those that take advantage of fairly specific and high-end instructions. Even the snazziest new games have been running without many difficulties. Only things like Adobe's software have been disappointing.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #12
OH MY GOD

A MODERATOR DOUBLE-POSTED

RUFT DIE POLIZEI AN

WIR BRAUCHEN DIE MASCHINE, UNS ZU SCHÜTZEN

EDIT: Oh-ho. Jedi mind tricks again?

[ Thursday, January 19, 2006 13:58: Message edited by: Prometheus ]

--------------------
Posts: 6936 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #13
It's actually easier for a moderator to accidentally double-post, because unlike normal members we don't appear to have flood control on our posts.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #14
At least mods can delete their double posts. There don't seem to be any double posts in this topic anymore. It seems like I saw TM double post somewhere else though...

Dikiyoba.
Shock Trooper
Member # 4239
Profile #15
quote:
Originally written by Like Canada but farther south:

—Alorael, who would be shocked if Avernum didn't work. Supposedly the only things that will even be noticeably different are those that take advantage of fairly specific and high-end instructions. Even the snazziest new games have been running without many difficulties. Only things like Adobe's software have been disappointing.
Carbon PPC apps will run less quickly than Carbon apps compiled for Intel (oh yes, that's right...Avernum should be able to become native simply by recompiling it in XCode!). However, the Core Duo processor is a good bit faster than a single G5, so you won't notice any slowdown.
Things like Adobe's products don't run under Rosetta because they make use of the Altivec chip instructions, which cannot really be translated (they're very low-level) and which don't exist under x86 (I believe they're too specific to the G4/G5 architecture; things like MMX and SSE are the equivalents on x86, but they don't have the same functions).

--------------------
Law Bringer
Member # 6489
Profile Homepage #16
quote:
Originally written by SNM:

{QB]Despite the number of people on here asking about them, I'd be willing to bet that it's more worth Jeff's time to make a new game. Avernum was different as it's part of the current lineup, but Exile has been supplanted in commercial terms, regardless of what the BoE people think. ;) [/QB]
If you're really curious about it, you could always email Jeff about it. I'm sure he'd respond.

--------------------
"You're drinking liquor because you're thirsty? How nasty is your freaking water?" —Lazarus
Spiderweb Chat Room
Avernum RPSummariesOoCRoster
Shadow Vale - My site, home of the Spiderweb Chat Database, BoA Scenario Database, & the A1 Quest List, among other things.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #17
In case anyone is curious, it wasn't actually a standard double post. It was, in fact, a post beginning with the word "piquant" that ended up elsewhere.

—Alorael, who only had one window open at the time and isn't quite sure how his post ended up in an entirely different topic from the one he thought he was posting in. Accidentally browsing in the nested version of the forums that are supposed to show you the thread you're posting in is a prime suspect.
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #18
Yeah! I win the internet! Bonus points. EXP +500.

--------------------
Posts: 6936 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Shock Trooper
Member # 18
Profile Homepage #19
quote:
Originally written by SNM:

Avernum should be able to become native simply by recompiling it in XCode!).
Having recently 'tweaked' a stack of my old and now deprecated PPC Carbon (C) code so that it compiles ok as Universal, I think I can safely say Jeff is in for a fair bit of 'tweaking'.

When Steve said at WWDC'05 that Cocoa apps require a 'few minor tweaks', and Carbon apps require 'more tweaks', he wasn't kidding!

Md.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #20
That sounds bad. Jeff's code is not know for being easy to tweak for compatibility.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #21
Well, my impression is that Cocoa and Carbon apps will still work, they just won't run natively. It's therefore likely that Jeff won't update them at all.

Updating the old pre-Carbon games will likely be a fair bit of work, though.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #22
Speed hasn't been a problem for any Spiderweb games.

If Jeff declines to "tweak" BoE for reasons of compatibility, though, some people will be very unhappy.

—Alorael, who wonders who will port the RWG trilogy.
Shock Trooper
Member # 4239
Profile #23
quote:
Originally written by Majordomo:

Having recently 'tweaked' a stack of my old and now deprecated PPC Carbon (C) code so that it compiles ok as Universal, I think I can safely say Jeff is in for a fair bit of 'tweaking'.
Dang. So much for the miracle of XCode.
quote:
Originally written by Thuryl:

Well, my impression is that Cocoa and Carbon apps will still work, they just won't run natively. It's therefore likely that Jeff won't update them at all.
Eh...benchmarks suggest that (on an iMac, anyway) non-native apps run at one-half to one-third the speed they do on the G5 iMac and consume significantly (at least 3 times) more memory. That's a fair bit of speed loss.

--------------------
Apprentice
Member # 6755
Profile Homepage #24
Well I think that for the kind of games Spidweb makes, there won't be any problem to run them in the new Intel Macs ;)
A pity about Exile, but well, there will be many more to come for sure!

--------------------
pc games and mac games
computer games