Looking for similar games.

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Looking for similar games.
Apprentice
Member # 5634
Profile #0
Can anyone recommend to me some NON-MMORPG games that follow the classic rpg style of Spiderweb Software? I'd be particularly interested in networkable games. Thanks ;)
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #1
A game that can be played over a network, is a roleplaying game but is not a mmorpg? I have never heard of such a thing.

--------------------
Encyclopaedia ErmarianaForum ArchivesForum StatisticsRSS [Topic / Forum]
My BlogPolarisI eat novels for breakfast.
Polaris is dead, long live Polaris.
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair.
Shock Trooper
Member # 1152
Profile Homepage #2
I beleive he means one tah can only be played with an internal network, like over IPX. I don't beleive any of theese exsist, but pleanty of people play FPS games as RPG online games in clans and guilds.

--------------------
-Sylak
Proud Member of the Church of Devine Luchere
Way too many lifeforms are carbon-based. Put this in your signature/AIM Profile if you're not.
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #3
None of the MMORPGs could really qualify as "classic" RPG style, anyway. In fact Spiderweb is really the only company still making personal computer games that could fit in that genre, bless their hearts. If you want classics, your best bet is to go to the classics. The older Ultima games, Realmz, and the SSI "gold box" games are probably the most similar, though those are all pretty dated at this point.

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00
Shake Before Using
Member # 75
Profile #4
While it's sometimes frustrating, what happened to Neverwinter Nights? It's networkable, and a little like a classic RPG. Having direct control only over yourself can be frustrating, but it's not a bad game.
Shaper
Member # 5450
Profile Homepage #5
Try this.

--------------------
I'll put a Spring in your step.
:ph34r:
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #6
That is only useful if you know what keywords to search for. While

+rpg -mmorpg

might yield some results, it will take an hour or two to get to the worthwhile stuff, more often than not. The best course of action normally is instead to go to a board like this one, ask around, and then form a specific query like

"neverwinter nights"

which should give useful results a lot earlier.

--------------------
Apprentice
Member # 5634
Profile #7
Believe me, I've poured many hours into the google search engine trying to feed my fetish, all to no avail. The problem with the true classics is that they're often too ugly to be enjoyable, not that Spiderweb games are a visual masterpiece, but they nicely walk the line between games with characters composed of a few pixels and games that try to have somewhat advanced graphics but end up looking horrible (ShadowFlare, for example).

But yeah, if anyone does happen to know of some classic games that I may enjoy, please suggest them and I'll check them out. They don't HAVE to be multiplayer, though it would be a plus. Neverwinter Nights is...eh. The leveling system is a bit too slow for my liking, especially if you play multiplayer. I am looking forward to NWN2 and Baldur's Gate 3 though.
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #8
Personally, I like the walking pixels, but to each his own.

Sibling to the Ultima-Exile vein of RPGs are the SNES-era console RPGs, which are pretty easy on the eyes, and easily available via emulation. They are more closed-ended both in terms of story and gameplay, but there are also a LOT of them out there, if you look.

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #9
I find the @ character far more appealing than the walking pixels. When you can't manage complexity, it's a good idea to go for simplicity.

--------------------
Infiltrator
Member # 154
Profile #10
BG3 is doomed from before it's even finished, frankly.

And why anyone would use IPX I'm not sure. What's wrong with the Internet? Things only become MMORPGs when it's run in one worled, as opposed to NWN where you run your own server.

--------------------
Apparently still annoying.
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #11
In that case Well of Souls, from http://www.synthetic-reality.com , isn't a mmorpg, since you get to host your own server. The server does get listed in a centralized master server, of course, which might disqualify it. Although it includes a scenario editor like thingie that is quite flexible (and extremely complex to handle).

--------------------
Apprentice
Member # 5634
Profile #12
I played Well of Souls for awhile. Unfortunately, it's a fairly mindless game. Why do you say BG3 doomed?

[ Friday, January 06, 2006 10:22: Message edited by: Viseroth ]
Infiltrator
Member # 154
Profile #13
The story very solidly and loudly terminated with the end of BG2: ToB. Any continuation to the series is a mindless attempt to milk the chain for all it's worth in money.

--------------------
Shock Trooper
Member # 932
Profile #14
There comes a point where a story is ended and anything added to it ruins what was previously established. I'm not sure exactly when this point is reached, but Diablo 2: Lord of Destruction, and Baldur's Gate 2: Throne of Baal are two games I never want to see a sequel to.

I loved both games, and I still play them every now and then, but a sequel to LoD would just ruin it, for me at least. Same thing goes for ToB.

--------------------
Microsoft Patents Ones, Zeroes (March 25, 1998)
"Asians are good at Starcraft because they're always squinting, thus they can see things sharply. Remember to always squint in war." ~ Sun-Tzu
Infiltrator
Member # 154
Profile #15
I could not have put it better myself.

--------------------
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #16
quote:
Originally written by Viseroth:

I played Well of Souls for awhile. Unfortunately, it's a fairly mindless game.
quote:
Originally written by Polyester:

I could not have put it better myself.

--------------------
Shake Before Using
Member # 75
Profile #17
It is so. Baldur's Gate 3 is supposed to be a prequel, but I'm not really sold on it. The awesomeness of the original "trilogy" (Throne of Bhaal is, for some reason, usually counted as Baldur's Gate 3 even though it is only an expansion to 2) seems like it will not be replicated by a third game.

However, it's entirely possible that it'll be neat. On the other hand, I'm looking forward to NWN2 and hoping it'll be awesome.
Law Bringer
Member # 6489
Profile Homepage #18
quote:
I beleive he means one that can only be played with an internal network, like over IPX.
Does anyone actually use IPX anymore? I know it was populare in the mid-90s, but I thought that IP had taken over as the standard.

quote:
The story very solidly and loudly terminated with the end of BG2: ToB. Any continuation to the series is a mindless attempt to milk the chain for all it's worth in money.
From a software standpoint, Neverwinter Nights was Baldur's Gate 3. It was a different story, but the software and engine were the logical next step.

--------------------
"You're drinking liquor because you're thirsty? How nasty is your freaking water?" —Lazarus
Spiderweb Chat Room
Avernum RPSummariesOoCRoster
Shadow Vale - My site, home of the Spiderweb Chat Database, BoA Scenario Database, & the A1 Quest List, among other things.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #19
I disagree. The only thing Neverwinter Nights and Baldur's Gate have in common is (A)D&D, and not even the same version of it. Neverwinter Nights has snazzy 3D graphics and a heavily single-character design with a pretty significantly different interface and perspective. It's not an upgrade at all.

I prefer the fully third person and fully party-oriented Baldur's Gate design.

—Alorael, who also disagrees that Diablo is fully over. The plot was never really the point, and as long as gameplay keeps improving, nobody will groan too much about illogical plot twists. Actually, people will groan because people love to groan, but Diablo 3 would still sell like a game that sells many copies.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Law Bringer
Member # 6489
Profile Homepage #20
Bioware, the company that made the engines for Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale, and Neverwinter Nights (not to mention the plot and design of NWN) decided after Throne of Bhaal and Icewind Dale 2 came out that the Infinity Engine (the engine used for both Baldur's Gates and both Icewind Dales) was starting to show its age and needed to come up with something new. After lots and lots of work, they came up with the Aurora Engine (the engine used for NWN). Aurora is the next step from Infinity, and I believe I read somewhere that Baldur's Gate 3 will be made with the Aurora Engine. That is what I meant by NWN being the sequel to Baldur's Gate from a software point of view. Obviously, the games are very different. Personally, I prefer NWN, but I'll always have a fondness in my heart for Baldur's Gate and Icewind Dale.

quote:
The only thing Neverwinter Nights and Baldur's Gate have in common is (A)D&D, and not even the same version of it.
I'm pretty sure that had nothing to do with Bioware. I think Wizards of the Coast told them to use 3rd edition rules. Wizards can be very controlling about their licenses.

By the way, when Black Isle Studios died with Interplay, a lot of the designers of Baldur's Gate and Icewind Dale were hired by Bioware. In fact, I believe that many of the original BG crew are now working on NWN 2.

[ Friday, January 06, 2006 22:49: Message edited by: Tyranicus ]

--------------------
"You're drinking liquor because you're thirsty? How nasty is your freaking water?" —Lazarus
Spiderweb Chat Room
Avernum RPSummariesOoCRoster
Shadow Vale - My site, home of the Spiderweb Chat Database, BoA Scenario Database, & the A1 Quest List, among other things.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #21
It's also possible that the new D&D, stripped of such mystifying terms as THAC0, strange saving throws, and the less is more approach to armor was considered more appealing to the general gaming population, complete with septuagenarian Eskimos.

—Alorael, who still wouldn't call Aurora the sequel to Infinity. The successor, perhaps.
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #22
Anyone know if they're ever going to port Aurora to Mac? That is, NWN exists for Mac (with some perverse pricing issues that you can dodge, legally I believe, with some ingenuity), but the level editor doesn't.

--------------------
We're not doing cool. We're doing pretty.
Posts: 3335 | Registered: Thursday, September 4 2003 07:00
Infiltrator
Member # 154
Profile #23
So Interplay died - how comes?

http://interplay.com/ looks pretty strange, nothing like I remember the site as.

--------------------
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #24
Things look grim for Interplay. Since everything I know about the matter I learned in the last minute or so from Wikipedia, I'll leave it at that.

—Alorael, who considers Google and Wikipedia the two tools that must be used in conjunction with just about every question that can be asked, including ones like "how are you?" and "where did I put my keys?"

Pages