Best musician or composer

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Best musician or composer
Warrior
Member # 6234
Profile #0
In the first place: Happy new year everybody =)

Second of all, i was wondering what your favourite musicians composer or songwriters are. Since a lot of different music is popular on this forum, i was wondering what your favourite type of music is and which artist or composer you think is the best. My (current) favourite music style is metal, and Edward van Halen is one of the best guitar players in the world, and he's my personal favourite :) . As for bands, i like Chimaira, Slipknot, Nickelback, The Darkness,KoRn and many more. So what is your favourite?

[ Monday, January 02, 2006 12:04: Message edited by: no chicken for sale here ]

--------------------
There are 400 words in the dictionary that begin with "self" and only 8 that begin with "fellow".

When in doubt. . . mumble.
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #1
favorite composer, eh? there are many, many composers which I like:

Wagner;
Elgar;
Tschaikovsky;
Rachmaninow;
Prokofiev;
Mahler;
Shostakovich;
Bach;
Beethoven;
Bernstein;
Del Borgo;
Khachaturian;
Britten;
Holst.

My favorite, the ultimate trombone player on earth: Christian Lindberg. he plays the flight of the bumble bee ona trombone. the ones who know how difficult the flight of the bumble bee is and how difficult playing on a trombone can be, can understand the quality of the playing of Lindberg.

--------------------
Play and rate my scenarios:

Where the rivers meet
View my upcoming scenario: The Nephil Search: Escape.

Give us your drek!
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #2
I like composers. Especially, but not limited to, baroque composers.

Best musician is an equally impossible choice, but I'll put in a vote for Dan Laurin, who is both a wonderful player and a wonderful person. He also has strong opinions on music and is not afraid to tell someone that what they are doing is the musical equivalent of drawing on the Mona Lisa with crayons.

—Alorael, who will admit to partisan motives.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Agent
Member # 27
Profile #3
It's impossible to rate overall musicial talent. I know Paul McCartney plays many intruments and writes many great songs, so I'll choose him.

As a fan of guitar I'd probably pick Eric Clapton. Good musicians aren't all commerical though; you can go to any local bar and hear some great music.
Shaper
Member # 5450
Profile Homepage #4
Ben Rogers.

--------------------
I'll put a Spring in your step.
:ph34r:
Warrior
Member # 6234
Profile #5
quote:
Originally written by Enraged Slith:

It's impossible to rate overall musicial talent. I know Paul McCartney plays many intruments and writes many great songs, so I'll choose him.

As a fan of guitar I'd probably pick Eric Clapton. Good musicians aren't all commerical though; you can go to any local bar and hear some great music.

True, i have cd's of some very unknown but very good bands. And there are a lot of good bands which i'm unaware of that they excist, but seem to make good music. And that's something i like about music, you can find new music over and over again, sometimes good, sometimes bad. it's some sort of a endless search, and i like that :)

--------------------
There are 400 words in the dictionary that begin with "self" and only 8 that begin with "fellow".

Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #6
My picks in various categories:

Favorite Genre: Rock/Hard Rock/Metal
Favorite Recent Band: Green Day
Favorite Song: "Holiday" by Green Day (second is probably "Astronomy" by Blue Oyster Cult)
Various Other Songs I Like:
* "Twilight Zone" by Golden Earring
* Rainbow's version of "Hall of the Mountain King
* "Waking Up Beside You," by Stabbing Westward
* "Like a Stone," by Audioslave
Various Other Bands I Like:
* The Doors
* Led Zeppelin
* Metallica
* Guns N' Roses
* Pink Floyd
* Nirvana

I also will always like Mandy Moore, particularly the more obscure tracks off her debut and self-titled albums.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #7
I actually didn't know you liked metal and rock and that sort of stuff, kelandon. That's something new for me. once I used to like it too, but since I play the trombone, that has faded completely.I mostly listen to Russian classical composers.

What is it actually with classical music that people tend to think its boring? classical music can be very intense, and sometimes even have a beat. You just have to pick the right composer. Also, I know of a lot of bands (Maybe that's a bit exagurated) that use classical instruments, like the violin or cello.

--------------------
Play and rate my scenarios:

Where the rivers meet
View my upcoming scenario: The Nephil Search: Escape.

Give us your drek!
Warrior
Member # 6234
Profile #8
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:

My picks in various categories:

Favorite Genre: Rock/Hard Rock/Metal
* "Twilight Zone" by Golden Earring

You don't know how happy i am to see that song! Golden Earring is a Dutch band and one of the few bands that is known worldwide. It's really cool to see that you listen to it. My dad is an enormous fan of them, and he was supprised when he read this.

Really cool man, according to me, you have a brilliant taste of music. Golden Earring, Pink Floyd, Metallica, Led Zep, Nirvana... good stuff ;)

EDIT: Thralni, i think people will think classical music is boring because they know to little about it. If you should search in that musicworld, anyone will find a classical music style he or she likes. And beside that, some people will see it as boring, because they can't dance on it... Matter of taste ofcourse. :)

[ Monday, January 02, 2006 01:00: Message edited by: no chicken for sale here ]

--------------------

Lifecrafter
Member # 4682
Profile #9
I don't have any favorite groups or composers. For genre I mostly listen to rock or classical music. I must say though, that anyone who thinks classical music is boring should listen to the "Surprise Symphony". Just don't listen to it every day for weeks. It kind of loses the surprise element. I will never forgive my conducter for making the whole orchestra listen to the chamber orchestra practice...

--------------------
Do not underestimate the power of the mechanical pencil.

Join the Dark side. We have cookies.

Played in:
Fiddler on the Roof
Bye Bye Birdie

"Hey, Patrick, feel this random pipe. It's squishy"-Nils
Shaper
Member # 3442
Profile Homepage #10
Stealing Kel's idea, but changing it so nobody notices is a fun thing to do!

Ahem.

My favourites are:

Favorite Genre: Alternative/Experimental/Rock

Favorite Recent Band: Radiohead/Sigur Ros

Favorite Song: "Hand in Glove" by The Smiths or "Untitled 5" by Sigur Ros

Various Other Songs I Like:
* "True Love Waits" by Radiohead
* "Gretchen Ross" by Michael Andrews (from the Donnie Darko soundtrack)
* "Untitled 1" by Sigur Ros

Various Other Bands/Artists I Like:
* Joy Division
* The Smiths
* Pink Floyd
* Elliott Smith

As for best musician... too hard to say. Clapton is up there, as is Morrissey, but I couldn't speculate any further.

--------------------
And when you want to Live
How do you start?
Where do you go?
Who do you need to know?

Infiltrator
Member # 5566
Profile #11
My favorite type/style is Rock/Hard Rock/Metal, and my favorite bands are at the moment is Disturbed. My favorite song by them is Voices. I also like Blood simple, And Papa roach, Oh and the darkness is good to. I don't really have a favorite band i find new ones all the tome

EDIT: Rammstein is very very very good

[ Monday, January 02, 2006 09:31: Message edited by: Hawk King ]
Shaper
Member # 5450
Profile Homepage #12
tHawk King: Disturbed only have two good songs. And it's genre, not type/style.

Anyway, my favorite band would be Queens of The Stone Age.

--------------------
Infiltrator
Member # 5566
Profile #13
quote:
Originally written by Spring:

Genre style whatever, what would those two songs be ? My two favorites are prayer and voices

[ Monday, January 02, 2006 14:21: Message edited by: Hawk King ]
Shock Trooper
Member # 3377
Profile #14
Music of the Romantics tends to be my favourite, particular those in symphonic form. Movie soundtracks as well ... and there are far too many composers of both genres for me to choose one.

As for players... well, there's not a single thing I have yet heard conducted by Vladimir Ashkenazy that has not made me stop everything else until the piece is over. Including walking to my lectures.
Infiltrator
Member # 5991
Profile Homepage #15
One of the good musicians I know of would be Kirk Hammet lead guitarist of Metallica.The old Metallica is good the new stuff is just them selling out. :( :(

--------------------
George Bush is a Nazi - Eric Cartmen

I'm not as think you stoned I am
Visit the RIFQ Forums
Shaper
Member # 5450
Profile Homepage #16
quote:
Originally written by Hawk King:

quote:
Originally written by Spring:

Genre style whatever, what would those two songs be ? My two favorites are prayer and voices

Liberate and Down With The Sickness.

--------------------
Fire! Fire! Fire! Fire!
Member # 919
Profile #17
quote:
Originally written by SupaNik:

Various Other Bands/Artists I Like:
* Elliott Smith

Have you heard Ben Folds' Late? It's a great song inspired, apparently, by a great musician.

--------------------
And though the musicians would die, the music would live on in the imaginations of all who heard it.
-The Last Pendragon

Polaris = joy.

In case of emergency, break glass.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #18
quote:
Originally written by Shuan Wuan:

The old Metallica is good the new stuff is just them selling out. :( :(
I am always confused by people saying this. What are you defining as "old" and "new"? If by "old" you only mean the Kill 'Em All album, then I can sort of see how someone could say this, even though I disagree.

If by "old" you mean "everything prior to Metallica," then I point to "Fade to Black" off Ride the Lightning as one of many examples of the fact that they've been playing a variety of music all along. It wasn't all about thrash-metal even in the '80s.

If by "old" you mean "everything prior to St. Anger," then you're a fair-weather fan for ditching a band after a single bad album. All the Green Day fans who ditched them after Warning are smacking themselves right now.

Of course, I speak as one whose favorite Metallica song is probably "The Unforgiven." And I do think the Nabster controversy was rather stupid on their part.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.

Shaper
Member # 5450
Profile Homepage #19
I think the Metallica songs I have heard are good. Those songs are: Sad But True, Enter Sandman, One, St. Anger, and Fade To Black.

--------------------
Shock Trooper
Member # 1249
Profile Homepage #20
I also prefer the old Metallica, by which I mean the album "Black" and things prior to that. Although I haven't heard St. Anger.

But my favourite band was for a long time Black Sabbath. (Or their first 4 or 5 albums, the first being the best.)

[ Monday, January 02, 2006 15:42: Message edited by: Milu ]
Infiltrator
Member # 5991
Profile Homepage #21
Okay Kel the "old" Metallica to most fans is everything before the Black Album.While some of the stuff after the black album is good, Metallica was better before Cliff Burton got killed.

[ Monday, January 02, 2006 16:41: Message edited by: Shuan Wuan ]

--------------------

Visit the RIFQ Forums
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #22
Then I'll repeat myself: what do you think about songs like "Fade to Black," then, which was an old song that sounded like something out of '90s Metallica? Much of Ride the Lightning sounds more like the Black Album (which is technically self-titled, despite its popular name) than it sounds like Kill 'Em All or Master of Puppets.

I'm not trying to make an argument, here. I'm seriously asking if you hear a difference.

[ Monday, January 02, 2006 17:12: Message edited by: Kelandon ]

--------------------

Infiltrator
Member # 5991
Profile Homepage #23
Fade to black is one of my favorite songs by them actually. I liked the black album with the exception of the song Sandman which I dont care for.

And yes I do hear a difference less screaming.
,but kill em all was when they were a garage band and still trying to figure out what they we're doing, still a good cd though.

[ Monday, January 02, 2006 17:34: Message edited by: Shuan Wuan ]

--------------------

Visit the RIFQ Forums
Lifecrafter
Member # 1468
Profile Homepage #24
Adding nothing to the discussion, my favorite bands, musicians, songs, genres, etc. are as follows:

Favorite Genre: Classic Rock
Favorite Band: AC/DC
Favorite Song: "Thunderstruck" by AC/DC, the second probably being "Bohemian Rhapsody" by Queen, or "Hair of the Dog" by Nazareth.
Various other Bands I like:
Def Leppard
Poison
Van Halen
Aerosmith
Led Zeppelin
Foreigner
Journey
Queen

--------------------
"We can learn a lot from crayons. Some are short, some are dull, some are sharp, some are tall. Some have funny names and they are all different colors, but they all learn to live in the same box."

"Happy is the man that has wisdom and gets discernment. For having wisdom as gain is better than having silver as gain and having wisdom as produce is better than gold itself" Proverbs 3:14-3:15

The horrible part about life is, you'll never get out of it alive.

Currently boycotting: AngelFire, GameFAQ's, Macintosh PC's

Pages