Chemistry at home, part 12

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Chemistry at home, part 12
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #0
This quite something (for me it is, anyway). I'm gonna buy such an iron stand with all kinds of these lovely iron clasps they use in the chemistry to hang up test tubes at certain experiments. I'm also gonna buy a burner. i already have test tubes, all kinds of other thing like measuring jugs, and, the most important psrt, a whole set of chemicals! (Includinh sulfaric and nitricacids. To say it in one sentence: i'm gonne get my own small laboratory! I don't know exactly why, but I'm quite proud of it all. The only problem is money... it will cost quite a bit. i do have enough, but it will blow a hole in my wallet. What do i care actually? finnaly I can experiment with FIRE! Anybody else here like chemstry as much as i do and has a small laboratory?

--------------------
Play and rate my scenarios:

Where the rivers meet
View my upcoming scenario: The Nephil Search: Escape.

Give us your drek!
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #1
(walks away from chemistry finals)

I... hate... chemistry.

The brand taught at my university is designed to weed out pre-med students. I am not a pre-med. So I suffer for no real reason. Amazing what I'll put myself through to meet my degree requirements...

Honestly though, chem lab was always the best part. What would you hope to do with your home laboratory?

--------------------
Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.

I hate undead. I really, really, really, really hate undead. With a passion.
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #2
Interesting. The first post at almost all of my topics was a negative one...

Anyway, what i hope to do? Experiment. Lots and lots of experimenting. I'm dying to smelt all kinds of chemicals I have now for a long time. I'll be able to do this when i have a burner. Why do you hate chemistry anyway? The teachers? method of learning?

--------------------

Where the rivers meet

Give us your drek!
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #3
Pardon my negativity, but those finals drained most of my optimism.

I just hate our university's chemistry program... it's more quantum physics than anything (shudder). And it's not even the fun kind of quantum physics... just equations and the occasional bit of molecular geometry.

In short, it's not practical chemistry, and it's mostly not lab chemistry. I would much rather have it be all lab work...

--------------------
Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.

I hate undead. I really, really, really, really hate undead. With a passion.
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #4
I see. Yes, if chemistry is nothing more then formulas (God, I HATE that word), it soon becomes boring and irritating. Fortunately, in my school we have to do some sort of experiment now and then. Its nothing really interesting, most of the time, but its still more fun then (shudder) formulas.

--------------------

Where the rivers meet

Give us your drek!
Shaper
Member # 32
Profile #5
This is probably a really bad idea. Are you equipped to handle chemical spills at your house? What happens if you accidentally make a very deadly gas, do you have some sort of ventilation system?

--------------------
Lt. Sullust
Cogito Ergo Sum
Polaris
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #6
quote:
Originally written by Lt. Sullust:

This is probably a really bad idea. Are you equipped to handle chemical spills at your house? What happens if you accidentally make a very deadly gas, do you have some sort of ventilation system?
Too bad Charles D isn't around to give comment.

*this message sponsored by Air Canada*

--------------------
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:

Well, I'm at least pretty sure that Salmon is losing.

Agent
Member # 4574
Profile #7
That's a perfect idea! Make me a super disease, and I'll let it loos on the armies of the world! Then I will send my army to take over! :D

--------------------
Constitutional monarchies are the in monarchies.
FAQSELF
Member # 3
Profile #8
I think you'll be OK if you have a lab of your own at home, but you're probably best off sticking with more safe compounds, as Lt. Sullust suggests.

Where will you get your chemicals? If you're just getting them from a hardware store, you probably won't do as much damage as you could if you have access to a retail chemical supplier. You can still kill yourself, but only if you try or are very negligent.

*Message from an almost-chemistry Ph.D.*

[ Thursday, December 22, 2005 07:52: Message edited by: Schrodinger ]

--------------------
A few cats short of a kitten pot pie...

Radioactive cats have 18 half-lives.
Check out a great source for information on Avernum 2, Nethergate, and Subterra: Zeviz's page.
Finally, there's my Geneforge FAQ, Geneforge 2 FAQ, and
Geneforge 3 FAQ.
Posts: 2831 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Shock Trooper
Member # 4239
Profile #9
You know, I don't remember any formulas ( :P ) for them, but I'm pretty sure hardware-store chemicals can do plenty of damage.

And isn't the point of a home lab to be deliberately negligent? ;)

--------------------
There are two kinds of game players...those who are newbies, and those who were.
Warrior
Member # 6501
Profile Homepage #10
Did you you ever think about sending your teacher a little chemical bomb at home? :rolleyes: Now you are able to to that, have fun! :cool:

--------------------
You know, why the Sliths are green - because of their scales.

Maybe you know why some slith eyes were once red - ´cause the demons, which led them were red.

But why are the eyes of the Slith Lord Followers red? Because they see the remains of their enemies always before the battle begins!
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #11
What do you all think, that I'm crazy? Toa snwer all your questions:

Sullust, a few reasons why it isn't a bad idea:

1) All experimenting is done according to a booklet my father gave me (with all kinds of experiments in it)

2)if I make a deadly gas (which is unlikely, because I first ask my teacher what would happen when i do so-and-so, so I know what basically will happen when i put certain things together), i open the window that's exactly above my experimating table, or if something caches fire I'll just use the fire-extinguisher that's next to my experimenting table.

3) I buy my chemicals at a special shop, that's run by a qualified sort of hobbyist. the shop is actually just a pharmacy, but its one of the old ones run by a nice old man. I can buy there anything i want. i want it, he gets it for me.

4) Um, no. I've never thought of making some disease or bomb thing. And even if i would, I wont send it to you, as i will be arrested for terrorisme.

--------------------

Where the rivers meet

Give us your drek!
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #12
Chemistry is fun. :D
H H
\ /
O
I had some of that a few minutes ago.

[ Wednesday, December 21, 2005 12:50: Message edited by: Uhh... ben? ]

--------------------
-ben4808
Infiltrator
Member # 1220
Profile Homepage #13
I love me all science expect Biology. Science and me are great pals.
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #14
quote:
Originally written by Thralni, chicken god prophet:

This quite something (for me it is, anyway). I'm gonna buy such an iron stand with all kinds of these lovely iron clasps they use in the chemistry to hang up test tubes at certain experiments. I'm also gonna buy a burner. i already have test tubes, all kinds of other thing like measuring jugs, and, the most important psrt, a whole set of chemicals! (Includinh sulfaric and nitricacids. To say it in one sentence: i'm gonne get my own small laboratory! I don't know exactly why, but I'm quite proud of it all. The only problem is money... it will cost quite a bit. i do have enough, but it will blow a hole in my wallet. What do i care actually? finnaly I can experiment with FIRE! Anybody else here like chemstry as much as i do and has a small laboratory?
In your last experiment, did you burn away your spelling? :P

--------------------
Encyclopaedia ErmarianaForum ArchivesForum StatisticsRSS [Topic / Forum]
My BlogPolarisI eat novels for breakfast.
Polaris is dead, long live Polaris.
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #15
English isn't his first language. Be nice.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Shock Trooper
Member # 1546
Profile Homepage #16
quote:
Originally written by A guy with pretty good grammar:

I love me all science expect Biology. Science and me are great pals.
You love all forms of science then. ;)

--------------------
A Sucaran Child is standing here.
You say, "hello"
The small child looks at Preserver Aldous wide-eyed and awed.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #17
What do you do when you create a deadly gas that's not visible? You know to open the window when you're dead?

What if your gas is less dense than air? Do you have a window in your floor?

—Alorael, whose personal first question is always what to do when spilling chemicals all over himself. He does this with disheartening frequency. Fortunately, the most damage he's done so far is some interesting staining and some less interesting holes in clothes.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Shaper
Member # 5450
Profile Homepage #18
quote:
Originally written by Un-Spidwebian Activities Committee:

What if your gas is less dense than air?
Open the door. :P

--------------------
I'll put a Spring in your step.
:ph34r:
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #19
quote:
Originally written by Un-Spidwebian Activities Committee:

What do you do when you create a deadly gas that's not visible? You know to open the window when you're dead?

What if your gas is less dense than air? Do you have a window in your floor?

—Alorael, whose personal first question is always what to do when spilling chemicals all over himself. He does this with disheartening frequency. Fortunately, the most damage he's done so far is some interesting staining and some less interesting holes in clothes.

Good one, but i make sure I don't make deadly gasses. As I already said, i first ask my father, my teacher, or the salesman at the pharmacy if a certain chemical is extremely dangerous. Most of the time i buy fairly innocent stuff (most of the time, yes), but sometimes i buy more deadly stuff. In that case i make sure I know something about it before putting it with every chemical i have in one test tube.

Less dense then air, eh? name a few of them and I'll see to it I wouldn't make them.

I tend not to spill anything all over me, and until now it also didn't happen. What i would do if it would happen depends on the chemical. With sulfuric acid, for example, i would put salt on it for example.

Aran: In this kind of posts, I'm usually quite excited, so i don't really look at spelling. As that graemil makes that post (for me) a joke, well. No reason to start defendinf myself, acytually, although there are words i can't seem to spell right. Like the word: ussually. Two s's or one?

--------------------

Where the rivers meet

Give us your drek!
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #20
Actually, I meant what if the gas is denser than air, because lighter than air gases obviously will escape through your overhead window.

—Alorael, who meant neither in great seriousness. Unless you decide to distill mercury in your home or wonder what boiling strong acids will do, have fun and stay at least one country away.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #21
Schrodinger, is it that you have almost finished your doctorate, or that your doctorate is in a subject which is almost chemistry?

Just what is this 'fun' quantum physics that doesn't involve equations?

--------------------
We're not doing cool. We're doing pretty.
Posts: 3335 | Registered: Thursday, September 4 2003 07:00
FAQSELF
Member # 3
Profile #22
Both, actually. I will have my doctorate in May 2006 in Planetary Science, but my subject of study is (cosmo-, geo-, and bio-) chemistry.

--------------------
A few cats short of a kitten pot pie...

Radioactive cats have 18 half-lives.
Check out a great source for information on Avernum 2, Nethergate, and Subterra: Zeviz's page.
Finally, there's my Geneforge FAQ, Geneforge 2 FAQ, and
Geneforge 3 FAQ.
Posts: 2831 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #23
Cosmochemistry? They don't have astrochemistry?

--------------------
-ben4808
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #24
quote:
Originally written by Thuryl:

English isn't his first language. Be nice.
I am. His spelling is normally quite good, which is why I mentioned it this time.

--------------------
Encyclopaedia ErmarianaForum ArchivesForum StatisticsRSS [Topic / Forum]
My BlogPolarisI eat novels for breakfast.
Polaris is dead, long live Polaris.
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair.

Pages