Which Russian composer...

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Which Russian composer...
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #0
I just got a CD of Shostakovich (a Russian composer) and I wondred what the overall opinion over Russian and Slavic composers is here. i'm talking now about composers like Shostakobich, mahler, Dvorak, Tschaikovsky, and the whole lot. Which do you prefer? Personnaly I like Dvorak, mahler and Shostakovich.

Poll Information
This poll contains 1 question(s). 14 user(s) have voted.
You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

function launch_voter () { launch_window("http://www.ironycentral.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=poll;d=vote;pollid=iDFeCADHlvYx"); return true; } // end launch_voter function launch_viewer () { launch_window("http://www.ironycentral.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=poll;d=view;pollid=iDFeCADHlvYx"); return true; } // end launch_viewer function launch_window (url) { preview = window.open( url, "preview", "width=550,height=300,toolbar=no,location=no,directories=no,status,menubar=no,scrollbars,resizable,copyhistory=no" ); window.preview.focus(); return preview; } // end launch_window IMAGE(votenow.gif)     IMAGE(voteresults.gif)

--------------------
Play and rate my scenarios:

Where the rivers meet
View my upcoming scenario: The Nephil Search: Escape.

Give us your drek!
La Canaliste
Member # 5563
Profile #1
*cough*
Mahler was Austrian, while we are being Russian.

--------------------
I am a mater of time and how .

Deep down, you know you should have voted for Alcritas!
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #2
And given the names, you should have noticed. :P

quote:
Osama's Cave Memo:

Finally, we've heard that there may be American soldiers in disguise trying to infiltrate our ranks. I want to set up patrols to look for them. First patrol will be Omar, Muhammed, Abdul, Akbar, and Richard.

--------------------
Encyclopaedia ErmarianaForum ArchivesForum StatisticsRSS [Topic / Forum]
My BlogPolarisI eat novels for breakfast.
Polaris is dead, long live Polaris.
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair.
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #3
To be a bit more precise: Mahler was born in Czechoslovakia (If I remember correctly), but he lived a long time in Austria. This makes him of a Slavic nationality, and that's what i asked about: Russian/Slavic composers.

--------------------

Where the rivers meet

Give us your drek!
Guardian
Member # 2476
Profile #4
He was born in Bohemia, which at the time was part of Habsburg's K&K Monarchy - Austria.

--------------------
Polaris
Rache's A3 Site reformatted 2/3 done
Rache's A3 Site, original version
La Canaliste
Member # 5563
Profile #5
Also Mahler means "Painter" in German, as I recall: not the most Slavic of names.

--------------------
I am a mater of time and how .

Deep down, you know you should have voted for Alcritas!
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #6
What I really want to know is what Wagner is doing on the list.

[Edit: Some characters come out dysf?nctional.]

—Alorael, who has to say that Dvorák wins in that listing. Symphony from the New World.

[ Tuesday, December 06, 2005 10:11: Message edited by: Triadic Watcher Hierarch ]
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #7
quote:
Originally written by saunders:

Also Mahler means "Painter" in German, as I recall: not the most Slavic of names.
That would be Maler today, but silent h's tend to shift a lot over time. Still, even when you don't know the meaning, the name is clearly recognizable as non-Slavic.

--------------------
Encyclopaedia ErmarianaForum ArchivesForum StatisticsRSS [Topic / Forum]
My BlogPolarisI eat novels for breakfast.
Polaris is dead, long live Polaris.
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair.
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #8
quote:
Originally written by Triadic Watcher Hierarch:

What I really want to know is what Wagner is doing on the list.

[Edit: Some characters come out dysf?nctional.]

—Alorael, who has to say that Dvorák wins in that listing. Symphony from the New World.

Wagner is there for the simple reason that I love his music (The ride of the Walküre, Meistersinger of Nürnberg, Tannhauser, Götterdämerung....). The only thing with Wagner is the following thing: beautiful minutes, but boring hours (as some people said).

You could say Dvorak wil indeed win because of his 9th symphony. It was great, yes, espacially the fourth part. i must say I like Tschaikovsky's sixth symphony also very much, and not to forget Rachmaninov's first symphony, second movement! To just say that Dvorak wil win only because of the 9th symphony, I just find a little... I can't find the right words. If people here know enough about classical music, and especcially of the Russian Romantic period, they might think otherwise. Dvorak is not the only one who made beautiful peices of music.

EDIT: and one more thing, the fact that Mahler is not slavic, what the hell do i care! I love his music. (By the way, may i see where you got that information? My mother (a great fan of Mahler) Says otherwise, and a few internetsites I looked at).

[ Tuesday, December 06, 2005 10:25: Message edited by: Thralni, chicken god prophet ]

--------------------

Where the rivers meet

Give us your drek!
Lifecrafter
Member # 6388
Profile #9
This is a patently ridiculous poll. There are seven options, of which as many are austro-Czechs as Russians, and this is not from want of prominent Russians: where are Rimsky-Korsakov, Mussorgsky, Glinka, Gliere, Prokoviev? That'd make seven Russians, and that's without even checking Wikipedia for more.

A quick look of the list says you're looking mostly at terminal Romantic composers more than Russians: why make the poll about Russians at all, then? What will be next: a Favorite American President poll which includes Napoleon III, Gladstone, and Yeltsin? A Favorite Exile Game poll incorporating World of Warcraft and Diablo, and yet not Exile III?

I find this poll particularly amusing/unfortunate because I find Tchaikovsky uninteresting and I've never heard of the other Russian, and yet two of my favorites (Rimsky-Korsakov, Mussorgsky) aren't even on the list.

[ Tuesday, December 06, 2005 14:21: Message edited by: Belisarius ]
Guardian
Member # 2476
Profile #10
quote:
and one more thing, the fact that Mahler is not slavic, what the hell do i care! I love his music. (By the way, may i see where you got that information? My mother (a great fan of Mahler) Says otherwise, and a few internetsites I looked at).
If you check his biography you'll find that though they lived in Kalitsch, Bohemia, his father's name was Bernhard Mahler, while his mother was Maria Hermann before her marriage. Not names of slavic origin. A lot of Austrians and Germans lived in Bohemia at the time, so that is not so wonderful.

But Thralni, I miss some of my favourites on your list. What about Prokoview, Strawinsky, Smetana, Mussorgsky, Rimsky-Korsakov, Borodin, Glinka, Pärt, Skrjabin, to name a few.

edit: Uh, I somehow didn't see your post, Belisarius, so I seem to repeat your complaint.

[ Tuesday, December 06, 2005 14:28: Message edited by: ef ]

--------------------
Polaris
Mongolian Barbeque
Member # 1528
Profile #11
I think a better poll would've been "Which of the following Russian composers aren't Russian?"
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #12
I like almost all of Dvorák's music. His 9th symphony is just, like Beethoven's, his instantly recognizable work.

Rachmaninoff is very good too, but some of his music just has too much bangy piano for me. Tchaikovsky is hit or miss, and while I'm not hugely familiar with Shostakovitch, I don't love what I do know.

Ef, Smetana was Czech, not Russian.

—Alorael, whose favorite president of the United States was Chef Boy-R-Dee (possibly spelled differently).
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Lifecrafter
Member # 34
Profile Homepage #13
God bless Tschaikovsky. I must have listened to the Infernal Suite from Firebird about 57 times. Shiver me timbers.

Gershwin and Tschaikovsky are all a person needs to be happy. :P

--------------------
Frisbeetarianism is the belief that when you die, your soul goes up on the roof and gets stuck.

'Spiderweb Software' anagrammmed: 'Word-bereft A**wipe'
Guardian
Member # 2476
Profile #14
quote:
Ef, Smetana was Czech, not Russian.
Yes, slavic but not russian, much loved in his country, and the father of Czech opera.

Alorael, knowing your abhorrence of temporary music, maybe you like this piece. It's a midi for reasons of size, a waltz for piano, flute and clarinet, and astonishingly by Shostakovitch.

Waltz

[ Wednesday, December 07, 2005 03:45: Message edited by: ef ]

--------------------
Polaris
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #15
In the end I indeed thought about why i actually called the poll Russian composers, because Its indeed more the ones of the Romantic period that are there.

You guys mentioned a lot of Russian composers, of which i all don't really like. Most of them have one piece i like, but in general i don't like their work.

Gershwin? I really hate his music. on the other hand, i like Bernstein (although his music can also get tiresom after a while).

And one last thing about Mahler: he's actually a Jew, but never mind that.

--------------------

Where the rivers meet

Give us your drek!
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #16
quote:
Originally written by Thralni, chicken god prophet:

You guys mentioned a lot of Russian composers, of which i all don't really like. Most of them have one piece i like, but in general i don't like their work.
I thought it was a Which Russian Composer Do You Like poll, not a Which Russian Composer Does Thralni Like poll. :P

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #17
Well, yeah, but now that we where talking about different tastes, I thought I'd immeditaly say what composers I do like and what composers I don't like. I think I should confess the following: As i almost never listen to them, they don't spring into my minf immediatly when i think of Russian composers. next time I'll think everything more through before making the poll. Now that we are talking about Russian composers, I did accomplish what i wanted to reach, so I can still be satisfied :)

--------------------

Where the rivers meet

Give us your drek!
Shock Trooper
Member # 3377
Profile #18
Dvorak. Not only are his 9th and 6th symphonies two of my favourite listening pieces, but he's also fun to play - more fun than, say, Stravinsky, who's a little too modern for my taste, and less mechanical than Tchaikovsky. Rachmaninov composed the only Paginini variations I can stand listening to, and I love his piano concertos. Smetana's Ma Vlast is also very fun to play. Difficult, but fun.
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #19
I couldn't find Elton John on that list, and he's a piano player that had a song that was vaguely tied to the theme of Russia. I feel cheated and used by this poll. Please return those minutes of my life, or more carefully consider future polls prior to posting them.

*this message sponsored by hiatts*

--------------------
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:

Well, I'm at least pretty sure that Salmon is losing.

Lifecrafter
Member # 34
Profile Homepage #20
How can you hate Gershwin? Rhapsody in Blue is amazing!

And Stravinsky wrote Firebird, not Tschaikovsky. Ah well.

--------------------
Frisbeetarianism is the belief that when you die, your soul goes up on the roof and gets stuck.

'Spiderweb Software' anagrammmed: 'Word-bereft A**wipe'
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #21
quote:
Originally written by Jumpin' Salmon:

I couldn't find Elton John on that list, and he's a piano player that had a song that was vaguely tied to the theme of Russia. I feel cheated and used by this poll. Please return those minutes of my life, or more carefully consider future polls prior to posting them.

*this message sponsored by hiatts*

Good god, lets stay in Europe (and the non-Europe part of Russia, and no, don't startr being all precise about this) okay? If we are going to name everybody we like we'll just end up stating who we like and don't like, and not discussing anything (by the way, Elton john is a Jazz player, no? I must say i don't really like Jazz, although i like the Jazz suite number 1 of Shostakovich).

--------------------

Where the rivers meet

Give us your drek!
Warrior
Member # 6268
Profile #22
*checks all boxes*
Mwahahahahahahahahahaha!
j/k
Dvorak
Tchiakowsky
Rachmaninoff

Baaah... spelling.

--------------------
Un ronron ronchonne, un ronfleur ronfle.
Un rongeur ronge, un roi règne, une orange roule.
Ça c'est la réalité.
Mais si le ronchon ronge, le ronfleur ronchonne,
Le roi roule, le rongeur règne
Et l'orange ronfle,
Ça c'est une autre histoire.
Fire! Fire! Fire! Fire!
Member # 919
Profile #23
I voted Rachmaninov, but after listening to Dvorak's 9th again, I'm not so sure... Tchaikovski's up there too. There's no reason to comment on the poll itself; that's already been taken care of.

--------------------
And though the musicians would die, the music would live on in the imaginations of all who heard it.
-The Last Pendragon

Polaris = joy.

In case of emergency, break glass.