Software Piracy!

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Software Piracy!
Shock Trooper
Member # 932
Profile #0
Does anyone know any decent games with the pirate sort of thing going on, y'know, peg leg, hook, eyepatch, Guybrush Threepwood, that sort of thing.

--------------------
Microsoft Patents Ones, Zeroes (March 25, 1998)
"Asians are good at Starcraft because they're always squinting, thus they can see things sharply. Remember to always squint in war." ~ Sun-Tzu
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #1
If you're not averse to online games, I've heard good things about Yohoho! Puzzle Pirates.

Also, Sid Meier's Pirates!

What is it with pirate games and exclamation points? I do not know.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Cartographer
Member # 1851
Profile Homepage #2
Pirates are just awesome and cool like that. Seriously.

--------------------
"I'm not crazy!"
"Well, whatever. Maybe you just ate something really questionable, or perhaps someone hit you on the head with something large, blunt and heavy just now. By the way..." Gil nudged Grul pointedly.

Ooh! Homepage - Blog - Geneforge, +2, +3 - My Elfwood Gallery and DevArt page
So many strange ones around. Don't you think?
Lifecrafter
Member # 1468
Profile Homepage #3
Perhaps they just talk loudly.

</leetness>

[ Wednesday, November 30, 2005 06:15: Message edited by: Eldibs ]

--------------------
"We can learn a lot from crayons. Some are short, some are dull, some are sharp, some are tall. Some have funny names and they are all different colors, but they all learn to live in the same box."

"Happy is the man that has wisdom and gets discernment. For having wisdom as gain is better than having silver as gain and having wisdom as produce is better than gold itself" Proverbs 3:14-3:15

The horrible part about life is, you'll never get out of it alive.

Currently boycotting: AngelFire, GameFAQ's, Macintosh PC's
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #4
CarrSoft has some shareware. I was originally just going to recommend Treasure Island, but they seem to have other pirate-related games as well.

http://www.gamingdepot.com/g/Pirate's_Plunder[/url] is some kind of game where you move around on a blue grid trying to find treasure while avoiding sea monsters. Having a VRT screen (with a glass cover you can make non-permanent marks on) helps, as does having a good memory.

There is another one called "Ar(r*)gh! The Pirate Game", (the Ar(r*)gh is a regular expression implying any number of r's). However, I haven't yet found it again. Mainly because of the Arrgh thing.

--

I had all these perhaps 8-9 years ago on my computer, when I briefly had a "pirate game" phase. They're all quite simple, but they're entertaining in a way.

[ Wednesday, November 30, 2005 05:57: Message edited by: NaNoWriMo ]

--------------------
Encyclopaedia ErmarianaForum ArchivesForum StatisticsRSS [Topic / Forum]
My BlogPolarisI eat novels for breakfast.
Polaris is dead, long live Polaris.
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #5
Monkey Island! I think you already knew that, though. The era of the point and click adventure was truly a golden age of piracy.

The Escape Velocity series has pirates, but they have fewer peg-legs and more Thunderheads and EMP torpedoes.

—Alorael, who also once encountered a game called "Pirates" that was not "Pirates!" Unfortunately, a title like that is difficult to find again. It was an extraordinarily lackluster game, but it did involve plenty of pirates, swordfights, rum, and doubloons.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Apprentice
Member # 4866
Profile Homepage #6
FYI

Pirates > Ninjas

--------------------
Worship the monkey
Agent
Member # 5814
Profile #7
FYI

You > Go burn.

Ninja power!

--------------------
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon
Well, I'm at least pretty

Lifecrafter
Member # 3171
Profile Homepage #8
Pirates are the ultimate. Pirates could take down ninjas anyday. At this stage I'd like to point out that both me and my girlfriend are pirates, and proudly so. For those of you who are unsure as to what sides cooler there is an actual site about the question
Master
Member # 1046
Profile Homepage #9
There are more pirates out there in the world than ninjas.

--------------------
Polaris - owns you.
Undead Theories - double U slash E
Infiltrator
Member # 5991
Profile Homepage #10
yes when i first saw the title of this topic i thought it would be about that ,thankfully it wasnt

--------------------
George Bush is a Nazi - Eric Cartmen

I'm not as think you stoned I am
Visit the RIFQ Forums
His Mighty Tentacle
Member # 627
Profile #11
I have dreadlocks and a kilt. I look a bit like Jack Sparrow.

Kilt Wearing Scottish Ninjas. Watch the trailer.

However, many pirates were misplaced Scots trying to make their way in the world.

I could be either. Or both.

I do know one thing. I am called the "Ninja of the Nasty." A little known dirty secret. You can trap a fart in the many pleats and folds of 27 feet of fabric wrapped around your middle. You can carefully edge your way in to a crowd and fluff your pleats, and instantly poison everybody.

--------------------
If I could make just one wish, I would want a tasty vlish.

Geneforge IV. Still no tasty vlish.
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #12
A pirate game? What would you do? Terrorize other ships for treasure that's used as currency to upgrade your ship to the ultimate terror of the seas?

--------------------
-ben4808
Guardian
Member # 2238
Profile Homepage #13
quote:
Originally written by ben ben:

A pirate game? What would you do? Terrorize other ships for treasure that's used as currency to upgrade your ship to the ultimate terror of the seas?
Um... yes.

There's a new MMO coming out sometime, Pirates of the Burning Seas, if that's your sort of thing. Being a pirate fan, myself, I'd like to try it out. All sorts of scurvy afoot!

--------------------
DEMON PLAY,
DEMON OUT!
Posts: 1582 | Registered: Wednesday, November 13 2002 08:00
Lifecrafter
Member # 3171
Profile Homepage #14
You could also get a sega Mega Drive (or Genesis as it's called in the US) emulator and play Pirates Gold. Thats a pretty fun game.
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #15
Well, I typically use Acquisition- a Mac OSX client for the Gnutella network- or BitTorrent. Of course, to pirate Spidweb products...
Oh, right. Nevermind.

EDIT:

quote:
Originally written by demonslaeyr:

All sorts of scurvy afoot!
Likely so, but I'm not sure why you would want any.

[ Wednesday, November 30, 2005 21:27: Message edited by: Kasumetoru Sai ]

--------------------
Posts: 6936 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Infiltrator
Member # 4248
Profile #16
I had a sudden urge to point out a nice little fact about ninjas: they have never really assasinated anyone, and the two attempts of doing so failed spectacularly. Stories about silent killers of the night are nothing more than myths. Their real task was to sabotage enemy encampments and cause disturbance during night time. And they didn't really wear fancy black suits either; those were invented much later, and were actually used in theatres. And not by ninjas. I would explain more, but my english vocabulary isn't sufficient for the task.

This information was taken from an article about japanese history I read a while ago. I don't remember exactly where that article was, but most propably it was in a relatively recent Tiede-magazine (Science).

Pirates, on the other hand, have really existed (and continue to exist, in some form or another) and they have really had peglegs and eyepads. So, judging by historical facts, pirates win.

--------------------
I have nothing more to do in this world, so I can go & pester the inhabitants of the next one with a pure concscience.
Infiltrator
Member # 154
Profile #17
Have you played Monkey Island 2? I think it's even better than the first.

--------------------
Apparently still annoying.
Shock Trooper
Member # 932
Profile #18
I've played Monkey Island I & II. Great pair of games those. I would play III and whatever else came out since I last checked, but I'm sort of cash strapped at the moment.

--------------------
Microsoft Patents Ones, Zeroes (March 25, 1998)
"Asians are good at Starcraft because they're always squinting, thus they can see things sharply. Remember to always squint in war." ~ Sun-Tzu
Mongolian Barbeque
Member # 1528
Profile #19
I think a blunderbuss — filled with bent nails, dead men's teeth, and suchlike — would take care of any ninja within blast range. Heck, the pirate could even shoot the shuriken back at the ninja!
Shock Trooper
Member # 3513
Profile Homepage #20
Or you could just fill the blunderbuss with lead shot. Really, the only appeal of shooting somebody with bent nails and dead men's teeth is the likelyhood of giving them an infection.

--------------------
Nobody appreciates me. It's all "Igor! Fetch some wine!" "Igor! Clean up this experiment!" or "Igor! Bury this in the garden, we're leaving town in 10 minutes!"

—Alorael, who tried to become a deivore once. The priest gave him a funny look after the third wafer.
Mongolian Barbeque
Member # 1528
Profile #21
The main strength of the blunderbuss as I understand it — based on what I heard on the History Channel show Conquest with Peter Woodward — is that it could fire just about any object you could put in it. Since pirates often had to make do with what they had, just about the only ammunition they had at any given time was just about any object you could put in it. Most pirates were dirt poor, and constantly on the verge of starvation, and getting supplies legitimately was difficult, so they depended on random theft to gain supplies, and they'd end up with random supplies. Imagine their dismay when they successfully kill the crew of a ship, and find nothing in the cargo hold but row on row of books.