New Custom Art: Take a peek inside

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: New Custom Art: Take a peek inside
Apprentice
Member # 6512
Profile Homepage #0
Hey all, I'm a long-time lurker on these boards (mostly for getting tips on power playing spiderwebsoftware's games hehe). I ended up getting the urge to make some custom art to play around with and I thought I'd share what I started with everybody.

PCs & NPCS: IMAGE(http://www.crystaltechstudios.com/projects/tactics/tactics_sprites.gif)

Items:
IMAGE(http://www.crystaltechstudios.com/projects/tactics/items.gif)

Upgraded (and unfinished) interface:
IMAGE(http://www.crystaltechstudios.com/projects/tactics/interface.gif)

Slith test portrait:
IMAGE(http://www.crystaltechstudios.com/projects/tactics/slith_portrait.jpg)

I'm curious if there are still alot of people who play the avernum series and would like to see full sets of the above art. I still dont know how many active players are out there, but if enough people want it, I'll make a bunch more sets.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #1
We can always use it for BoA. If you're going to make Avernum-based art, you may as well make it in BoA-compatible format. (For example, making the background white.)

[ Tuesday, November 29, 2005 10:23: Message edited by: Kelandon ]

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Apprentice
Member # 6512
Profile Homepage #2
Kelandon: I understand the file format issue(.bmp, white bg, bounding boxes, 4 directions, anims, etc) I just had to crop and reduce the art so I could host it for the time being. My other art is almost maxing out my [sarcasm] wooping [/sarcasm] 10mb website limit lol. I apologize for not pointing that out earlier.

Right now I was just going through all the art seeing which pieces would be fun to remake till I A4 comes out. It seems A4 inceases the max size of each art cell by about 10px or so =D. Alot seems to have changed size and placement wise, but it won't be hard for me to modify my stuff to fit.

Now to the fun part: what sprites would people like to be remade next.
E Equals MC What!!!!
Member # 5491
Profile Homepage #3
Yow. What did you use to make that slith portait?

--------------------
SupaNik: Aran, you're not big enough to threaten Ash. Dammit, even JV had to think twice.
Apprentice
Member # 6512
Profile Homepage #4
Ash Lael: I'm glad you like it. I used photoshop 8.0, primarily a 2px hard brush + smudge + airbrushing enabled.

[ Tuesday, November 29, 2005 12:16: Message edited by: Dhaos ]
His Mighty Tentacle
Member # 627
Profile #5
I see nothing.

Perhaps a better image hosting service is needed.

--------------------
If I could make just one wish, I would want a tasty vlish.

Geneforge IV. Still no tasty vlish.
Apprentice
Member # 6512
Profile Homepage #6
GRRRRRRRR...

Delicious Vlish: did you try hitting refresh? I actually pay doteasy to host my stuff..so this shouldn't be happening. I can still veiw them, but I have gotten random reports my stuff not appearing in the past.

If anybody knows of a good webhost lemme know. I'll probably have to go pay for a better one >_> I hate the internet. I don't use the free ones since usually run out of a bandwith with the number of who visit my site.
His Mighty Tentacle
Member # 627
Profile #7
I did infact, hit refresh, also clicked on the box with the graphic showing the icon for missing image and selected "View Image" from the resulting menu.

And nada.

Sorry. :( :confused:

When I clicked on the View Image, it told me that the server timed out.

--------------------
If I could make just one wish, I would want a tasty vlish.

Geneforge IV. Still no tasty vlish.
Lifecrafter
Member # 3171
Profile Homepage #8
The pictures are showing up fine for me.
Apprentice
Member # 6512
Profile Homepage #9
Delicious Vlish: What browser are you using? I tested it with IE and firefox, I don't know if it works with netscape or opera or those other fancy internet browsers. =*( Thanks for trying though.
Lifecrafter
Member # 1468
Profile Homepage #10
They work perfectly for me as well, and they're pretty good. Perhaps it's your Internet connection causing problems.

quote:
I don't use the free ones since usually run out of a bandwith with the number of who visit my site.
How much bandwidth do you currently have? My site is free, and it has like 3GB of bandwidth.

</leetness>

[ Tuesday, November 29, 2005 15:08: Message edited by: Eldibs ]

--------------------
"We can learn a lot from crayons. Some are short, some are dull, some are sharp, some are tall. Some have funny names and they are all different colors, but they all learn to live in the same box."

"Happy is the man that has wisdom and gets discernment. For having wisdom as gain is better than having silver as gain and having wisdom as produce is better than gold itself" Proverbs 3:14-3:15

The horrible part about life is, you'll never get out of it alive.

Currently boycotting: AngelFire, GameFAQ's, Macintosh PC's
Apprentice
Member # 6512
Profile Homepage #11
@Eldibs: I currently pay like $12 a year for either 10 or 20mb hosting and 1gb bandwitdh a year, I can't remember the exact figures. Its not great x_x but its all I need I guess.
Lifecrafter
Member # 1468
Profile Homepage #12
I have 50MB of space, and 3GB of bandwidth for free. I use Sphosting. The only downside so far is the 2.5MB file limit.

I did have an Angelfire account, but they got rid of it because they don't like freedom of speech, so I'm boycotting them.

</leetness>

[ Tuesday, November 29, 2005 15:08: Message edited by: Eldibs ]

--------------------
"We can learn a lot from crayons. Some are short, some are dull, some are sharp, some are tall. Some have funny names and they are all different colors, but they all learn to live in the same box."

"Happy is the man that has wisdom and gets discernment. For having wisdom as gain is better than having silver as gain and having wisdom as produce is better than gold itself" Proverbs 3:14-3:15

Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #13
It's showing up for me.

The pictures are great, except for the Slith portrait. It also looks good, but to me it looks more like an insect than a reptile for some reason...

--------------------
Encyclopaedia ErmarianaForum ArchivesForum StatisticsRSS [Topic / Forum]
My BlogPolarisI eat novels for breakfast.
Polaris is dead, long live Polaris.
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #14
The art is very nice, and there is always a desire for more graphics for BoA, which is quite alive and active. The graphics don't look like Avernum's, really, and that's a good thing. Avernum's graphics are lackluster.

I agree with Aran that the slith doesn't look like a slithi, although it looks to me more like some other draconic critter. The underslung jaw (it is a jaw?) doesn't look slith-like.

—Alorael, whose favorite is the ooze. It looks shiny and menacing and strangely tasty.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #15
It's the underslung jaw, yes. I wondered.
Compare:
IMAGE(http://www.burschka.de/christoph/wiki/images/4/4d/Slith.jpg)

--------------------
Apprentice
Member # 6512
Profile Homepage #16
@Eldibs: *checks out sphosting* Btw... A****F***? how dare you speak such obscene language O_O. That host should be slowly tortured and burned x_x...and be the recepient of many mean things!

@NaNoWriMo: I see your point about the slith portrait. I think in my sadistic mind I was thinking each race could have variance just for graphical flare. Like there could be the standard slith (lizard on two legs) a serpent like slith (tail instead of two legs) and maybe a more feral like slith (four legs + two or more arms, probably only an enemy form). These were just wacky ideas I thought up while I was making that thing lol.

Guava-Flavored Substance: Its good to know theres still a community out there for avernum. My art wasn't supposed to match with the packaged art, in a way I was hoping to provide an alternate download pack for those that wanted something different and more vibrant.

I'm curious if some of this ideas fly with the community here though. I'm trying to expand avernum a bit. And besides making pixel art is fun . WHEEEEEEE! *dies*

Btw I decided to work on a bull, a giant crab, and a slug next. Though if people have a preference over what they'd like to see, post away!

I also just finished dling geneforge3 and am currently checking the file sizes and art limitations since A4 pretty much mimes it in that respect.

[ Tuesday, November 29, 2005 16:46: Message edited by: Dhaos ]
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #17
The face in general looks like it's curved the wrong way.

Still, very impressive stuff. Beats a lot of the sprites I've seen made for BoA.

--------------------
Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.

I hate undead. I really, really, really, really hate undead. With a passion.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #18
If you do actually make some BoA graphics but don't have space to host them (or even if you do have space), you can send them to the Louvre.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Lifecrafter
Member # 1468
Profile Homepage #19
quote:
Btw... A****F***? how dare you speak such obscene language O_O. That host should be slowly tortured and burned x_x...and be the recepient of many mean things!
Yeah, they closed down my site for "offensiveness." I'm not saying my site isn't offensive, I'm just think it's unconstitutional to remove it. So now I'm boycotting Angelfire.

Anyways, it will be cool to use some of those graphics in Avernum when you finish them, especially your upgraded interface.
</leetness>

--------------------

Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #20
What did you put on it?

*goes to check out Eldib's sphost site*

*finds a notice "like it or leave it"*

*leaves*

:P

--------------------
Lifecrafter
Member # 1468
Profile Homepage #21
Well, among other things, there is a page with mathematical evidence for women being evil, but that one is more of a joke than anything. The site is sort of a public outlet for anger at various things, similar to screaming in public, but more anonymous. I'm also using it to host a few things I made, and Pyro's Genforge 3 Trainer.

</leetness>

[ Tuesday, November 29, 2005 18:09: Message edited by: Eldibs ]

--------------------

...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #22
quote:
Originally written by Eldibs:

Yeah, they closed down my site for "offensiveness." I'm not saying my site isn't offensive, I'm just think it's unconstitutional to remove it. So now I'm boycotting Angelfire.
Last time I checked, Angelfire wasn't a branch of the U.S. government, and therefore the First Amendment to the U.S. Constitution doesn't apply to it.

[ Tuesday, November 29, 2005 18:39: Message edited by: Thuryl ]

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Lifecrafter
Member # 1468
Profile Homepage #23
You make a good point. Their service was free and they were not obligated to keep my site up for any reason. Now if I had paid for their service, that would be a different story. I'm just upset that my Constitutional right to free speech was ignored because someone found my site "offensive." If we went around banning everything offensive, we wouldn't have great shows like South Park or Family Guy. Maddox sums it up nicely with his page about websense.

--------------------

Apprentice
Member # 6512
Profile Homepage #24
ok I just finished downloading geneforge3 to see how A4 will play... I notice the sprite cell sizes are much larger and not fsked up like they were in BOA (where there was a overlapping glitch that cut off part of the sprite if you adding pixels near the left and right lower corners

The average cell size seems to be 58. Since A4 is supposed to use a modified g3 engine I think I'm going to be updating the sprites to fit in the larger cell blocks. At least now there are *gasp* walking animations!!!111one. However has spiderweb confirmed how the graphics will operate in A4? I remember that the game will still be turned based instead of real time. I'm assuming they will be using 8 directional movement and attack & walking animations (which would be heaven for me)... but is there a chance they'll scrap the walking and attacking in 'keeping with the avernum style' or however they put their email response.

I also have a few serious questions: Do you honestly think it would be worth it if I adjusted my art to fit into A4/G3 engine instead (size wise, not design wise). I don't know if there will be a scenario editor for A4 which might nullify the purpose in me making the art. If you think my art isn't worth fitting into the A4 engine do you have another art style in mind that might work better? I'm open to suggestions.

Pages