New Custom Art: Take a peek inside

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: New Custom Art: Take a peek inside
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #25
From what I've heard, Avernum 4 will have attacking animations, but not walking animations. Avernum players were generally annoyed by Geneforge's walking animations, because having to spend several minutes just walking from one side of town to the other is less fun in practice than in theory.

And as far as we know, there won't be a scenario editor with the Avernum 4 engine, although there might be one with the Geneforge engine a few years down the track.

By the way, if you're interested in assisting the development of an RPG design system, Pygmalion needs graphics artists. It's 2D tile-based rather than isometric, but the tiles are fairly large (36w*48h, last time I checked) and the engine supports a variety of poses and animations (walking, attacking, spellcasting, etc) in 4 directions, so it shouldn't feel restrictive at all.

[ Tuesday, November 29, 2005 20:16: Message edited by: Thuryl ]

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #26
quote:
Originally written by NaNoWriMo:

It's showing up for me.

The pictures are great, except for the Slith portrait. It also looks good, but to me it looks more like an insect than a reptile for some reason...

Seconded. No offense, but it looks like a blown-up image of a horned grasshopper's head. :/ The image itself is really cool, though. Better that I could make on MS Paint. :P

Anyway, pretty cool stuff.

--------------------
-ben4808
E Equals MC What!!!!
Member # 5491
Profile Homepage #27
BoA is your best bet to see your graphics used, by a fair margin.

I agree that the Slith pic doesn't look that much like a slith... but gee, it's well done. They all are, in fact.

EDIT: PS Thuryl, how's Pyg going?

[ Tuesday, November 29, 2005 20:26: Message edited by: Ash Lael ]

--------------------
SupaNik: Aran, you're not big enough to threaten Ash. Dammit, even JV had to think twice.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #28
quote:
Originally written by Ash Lael:

EDIT: PS Thuryl, how's Pyg going?
Well, I can't vouch for the programming side of it, but the design side is progressing steadily.

--------------------
Lifecrafter
Member # 1468
Profile Homepage #29
quote:
I agree that the Slith pic doesn't look that much like a slith... but gee, it's well done. They all are, in fact.
Yeah, it looks reptilian, but not like a Slith.

How much time did you spend on them, Dhaos?

BTW, Thuryl, you stated this in another topic:

quote:
Starting to think I'm going to need a purpose-built image for berating TM.
I would like to recommend this image I found earlier at this site.

--------------------
"We can learn a lot from crayons. Some are short, some are dull, some are sharp, some are tall. Some have funny names and they are all different colors, but they all learn to live in the same box."

"Happy is the man that has wisdom and gets discernment. For having wisdom as gain is better than having silver as gain and having wisdom as produce is better than gold itself" Proverbs 3:14-3:15

The horrible part about life is, you'll never get out of it alive.

Currently boycotting: AngelFire, GameFAQ's, Macintosh PC's
Apprentice
Member # 6512
Profile Homepage #30
@Thuryl: *misses making sensless walk cycles* XD. I spent a little bit browsing through Pygmalion and noticed a thread that mentioned there are no screen shots yet =(. Thats a bit disappointing.

A few years ago I spent alot of time studying C++, directX7.0 (and more recently 9.0) and windows interface coding. I learned enough to make a crude rpg engine, got a working menu (diablo styled equipment system), 8 directional walking and item functionality...but it became too strenuous coding and making art so I decided to just focus on art.
The art I used back then was quite sad though, good animations but bad art nonetheless.

I was interested in avernum because I thought it might be a cheap way out, make a bunch of art and then goof off with the editor, but it doesnt seem that way now with A4 x_x.

@everybody commenting about the reptile portrait: I get the point, it doesnt look like a slith, at some point in time I'll make a new one =P.

@Ash Lael: Thanks. I guess this means the style is solid...but now to decide what to do with them hmm...

@Eldibs: The portrait took about 5hrs, technically 6 if you can the 1 hour scrapped version. The sprites each took about 1hr to get the design down. The slime took much longer because I couldn't get the gel effect right with a limited palette.

Random question... is geneforge3 worth buying? I've been playing the demo and the game seems... I dunno, different. Part of its fun, part of it is akward. I guess it just makes me want to play iwd or bg instead for the 40th time.
Lifecrafter
Member # 6388
Profile #31
quote:
Originally written by Eldibs:

I'm just upset that my Constitutional right to free speech was ignored because someone found my site "offensive."[/URL].
The right to free speech applies to the government and pretty much only to the government. Angelfire is a private corporation and it can host whatever it pleases, and if it chooses not to please carrying your stuff any more, well, that's their call.

No Constitution required.
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #32
quote:

quote:
Starting to think I'm going to need a purpose-built image for berating TM.
I would like to recommend this image I found earlier at this site.

IMAGE(http://www.rbwc.org/hazel-00classic.JPG)
Rawr.

--------------------
Posts: 6936 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Lifecrafter
Member # 1468
Profile Homepage #33
quote:
The right to free speech applies to the government and pretty much only to the government. Angelfire is a private corporation and it can host whatever it pleases, and if it chooses not to please carrying your stuff any more, well, that's their call.
Yeah, I know that. Now if I were to pay for their service, I should be able to put anything I please on their servers, so long as it isn't illegal files.

But anyways, my point is that it's unfair to remove a site just because somebody doesn't like it. Who decides what's offensive, what's tasteless, and what's good? Perhaps someone out there might have found my site humorous. People's tastes differ, so they shouldn't act on their opinions alone. It would make them a better web host if they didn't judge their hosted pages based upon "offensiveness" and "taste," and perhaps it would give them a better reputation.

quote:
Random question... is geneforge3 worth buying? I've been playing the demo and the game seems... I dunno, different. Part of its fun, part of it is akward. I guess it just makes me want to play iwd or bg instead for the 40th time.
The graphics do look a little bit similar to those of the Infinity Engine. Personally I find the game fun for the first couple of play-throughs, then it starts to get old, since it has no multiplayer.

</leetness>

[ Tuesday, November 29, 2005 21:56: Message edited by: Eldibs ]

--------------------
"We can learn a lot from crayons. Some are short, some are dull, some are sharp, some are tall. Some have funny names and they are all different colors, but they all learn to live in the same box."

"Happy is the man that has wisdom and gets discernment. For having wisdom as gain is better than having silver as gain and having wisdom as produce is better than gold itself" Proverbs 3:14-3:15

Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #34
quote:
Originally written by Dhaos:

I was interested in avernum because I thought it might be a cheap way out, make a bunch of art and then goof off with the editor, but it doesnt seem that way now with A4 x_x.
A4 doesn't have an editor. A4 would not be easy to edit. BoA has an editor. BoA would be easy to design graphics for. You want to make graphics for BoA. Make graphics for BoA.

Maybe I should've started with, "You are getting very sleepy...." :P

But seriously, if you want to make a bunch of art and then goof off with the editor in the Avernum universe, BoA is what you're looking for.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #35
quote:
Originally written by ben ben:

it looks like a blown-up image of a horned grasshopper's head.
Finally the connection I was looking for. That was what I meant by it looking like an "insect".

Eldibs, not unfair at all. If I were offering a free hosting service, and I happened to think a site was on the offensive side of any arbitrary line I wanted to draw, you can bet they'd be gone like that. Not only would I be angry that they didn't stick to my ToS, but I'd also be covering my ass where legalities are concerned.

[ Tuesday, November 29, 2005 22:04: Message edited by: NaNoWriMo ]

--------------------
Encyclopaedia ErmarianaForum ArchivesForum StatisticsRSS [Topic / Forum]
My BlogPolarisI eat novels for breakfast.
Polaris is dead, long live Polaris.
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #36
Even a paid hosting service will generally require you to agree to a set of terms of service before hosting your site. If you breach the terms you agreed to, well, you don't really have anyone to blame but yourself. Except in extreme cases, the law does not protect you from signing lousy contracts.

[ Tuesday, November 29, 2005 22:18: Message edited by: Thuryl ]

--------------------
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #37
Naturally, but a paid web host might feel more obligated to contact the webmaster first, hoping to have the issue mended quickly without ending the contract, seeing as they would lose a paying customer. The free service has nothing to lose except advertising, and they lose that also if they don't watch what they host. ;)

[ Tuesday, November 29, 2005 23:24: Message edited by: NaNoWriMo ]

--------------------
Warrior
Member # 6501
Profile Homepage #38
Hey, that are really great graphics. I really like them. :cool:

Maybe they can be used someday in a game of Spiderwebsoftware!

If not, I´m really sad ´cause some very interesting graphics will be wasted! :(

--------------------
You know, why the Sliths are green - because of their scales.

Maybe you know why some slith eyes were once red - ´cause the demons, which led them were red.

But why are the eyes of the Slith Lord Followers red? Because they see the remains of their enemies always before the battle begins!
Lifecrafter
Member # 1468
Profile Homepage #39
quote:
Even a paid hosting service will generally require you to agree to a set of terms of service before hosting your site. If you breach the terms you agreed to, well, you don't really have anyone to blame but yourself. Except in extreme cases, the law does not protect you from signing lousy contracts.
Which is why I read any contracts for paid services I subscribe to (which isn't a lot).

But like I said, it's unfair to judge a site on offensiveness or taste. Look at Maddox's site. His site is offensive to some, yet he gets a huge amount of visitors everyday, and he doesn't advertise his site. What's offensive for one person may not be for another.

--------------------

Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #40
Indeed so, but it's usually the webhost who gets to decide if something is offensive, and while his view might not be shared by anyone else, it's he who says what stays on his server - within the limit of the contract, of course. :P

I mean, look at Desperance. How many free services (or large companies) do you think would host the site? I seem to remember Djur knows his host personally, if I'm not mistaken.

[ Wednesday, November 30, 2005 06:02: Message edited by: NaNoWriMo ]

--------------------
Lifecrafter
Member # 1468
Profile Homepage #41
Who is the web host for Desperance, anyways? Anyone brave and cool enough to host that site for long periods of time deserves special recognition.

</leetness>

[ Wednesday, November 30, 2005 06:12: Message edited by: Eldibs ]

--------------------

Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #42
quote:

</leetness>
This loses its effect and becomes annoying when you end every single post with it.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Lifecrafter
Member # 1468
Profile Homepage #43
I know. The point of it isn't to have an effect, it's just there to be there, and because I want it there.

</leetness>

--------------------

Mongolian Barbeque
Member # 1528
Profile #44
What does "</leetness>" mean, anyway? I've been wondering for ages.
Lifecrafter
Member # 1468
Profile Homepage #45
It means the leetness that is my post is over. It's sorta like </sarcasm>, but for leetness.

</leetness>

--------------------

Mongolian Barbeque
Member # 1528
Profile #46
And what does "leetness" mean? I've never come across this word except in your posts.
Lifecrafter
Member # 1468
Profile Homepage #47
The word leet is derived phonetically from the word elite. It used to be hacker speak, but now it seems everyone has adopted it. leetness is the same thing as eliteness. It's sorta like awesomeness.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leet

</leetness>

[ Wednesday, November 30, 2005 13:13: Message edited by: Eldibs ]

--------------------

Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #48
Your lack of a <leetness> tag damages the contents of your posts, although for real damage control you could remove tags entirely. </leetness> implies either a sarcasm that is largely missing or a degree of self-evident superiority also largely missing.

—Alorael, who can only conclude that the tag is appended in error and that theree is not and never was any leetness involved in any posts.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Lifecrafter
Member # 1468
Profile Homepage #49
Like I said, it's not there for anything other than to just be there. That and because I can put it there. It is in no way related to the basic content of my posts, unless the posts are about the </leetness> tag.

</leetness>

--------------------

Pages