Birthday Present

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Birthday Present
Warrior
Member # 6401
Profile #0
What's the best birthday present you ever got?

I'm looking for ideas for friends. Trying to think what mine might have been...
Shock Trooper
Member # 565
Profile #1
A flight back to my childhood home. Ok this may be a bit expensive for you so perhaps something that really comes from the heart. take them on an outing but don't tell them where you are taking them, it just adds to the suprise and they will remember the day for years :cool:

--------------------
If there is no light at the end of the tunnel, stride down there and turn the damm thing on yourself!

people often tell me i've lost my mind, but i tell them i have to have one to lose it!

lions and tigers and bears, oh my!
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #2
Of all the presents I've ever received, the one that meant most to me was a knitted woollen sheep.

I'm not entirely sure whether that gift will work equally well for all people under all circumstances, though.

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!
Lifecrafter
Member # 4682
Profile #3
My feather quilt...*smiles happily* And good pillows. It's not the most exciting thing in the world, but when your sisters steal your blankets and claim they did nothing wrong(they stole the good pillows-now I only have flat ones :( ) it's nice to get a blanket that is obviously yours(I have the only feather quilt in the house :D ).
Other than that, if they've been wanting a book, that would be a good present, as is a computer game they've been wanting, etc. Or if you liked a book, computer game, etc. and you think they'll like it, that could be a good present. Or you could just get them a box of cookies. :P

--------------------
If anyone ever asks you why you did something, say "Because I could".
Warrior
Member # 6401
Profile #4
Well, WHY was the little woollen sheep the best present ever? Or is it too personal? :)

My friends all live far away in different countries. Just looking for general tips. What about the very worst present? For me, that would definitely be soon after my parents' divorce, when they both got me the same set of books for Christmas. Oyoyoyoy. Sorry, didn't mean to be too tragic. 8)
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #5
That's not an easy question. i got many wonderful presents. I once got a new Imac, i got a new trombone... Maybe my nicest was the trip to Denmark and legoland.

--------------------
"remember, children, that chickens are your friends. you must only eat them when you've the appropriate oven and gardening supplies."- As said by Benjamin van Soldt himself.

Click here for more information on Olga's fortune teller kiosk

Olga's fortune teller kiosk has been temporarily closed down, but you can contact the prophet with a PM - Was signed by the prophet of the almighty chicken gods, gods of everything that is a chicken.
By Committee
Member # 4233
Profile #6
The iPod was pretty nice. Another great gift I received was a ticket to go see The Shins with my (now) wife.

How about a book? I know that I always enjoy receiving books on someone else's strong recommendation. The classics certainly work. One of my favorites is "The Phantom Tollbooth."
Infiltrator
Member # 5132
Profile Homepage #7
Blades of Exile (the registered version). Enough said.

Speaking of birthdays, mine was yesterday.

[ Sunday, October 23, 2005 10:50: Message edited by: BainIhrno ]

--------------------
Rate My Scenarios!
Fort Emerald Robbery
The Nephils' Defense
The Fifth Tower of Magi
The Portal
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #8
quote:
Originally written by Thin Air:

Well, WHY was the little woollen sheep the best present ever? Or is it too personal? :)
Handmade by someone close to me. Your friends may or may not be equally impressed by handmade gifts, depending on how sentimental they are.

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!
Agent
Member # 3364
Profile Homepage #9
Well, then. Happy Birthday Bain. Hope you had a nice day. Lots of presents?

--------------------
"Even the worst Terror from Hell can be transformed to a testimony from Heaven!" - Rev. David Wood 6\23\05

"Do all the good you can, by all the means you can, in all the ways you can, in all the places you can, at all the times you can, to all the people you can, as long as you ever can." - John Wesley
Lifecrafter
Member # 1468
Profile Homepage #10
Happy birthday, Bain.

IMAGE(http://www.lovescool.com/uploads/finishedcake.jpg)

--------------------
"We can learn a lot from crayons. Some are short, some are dull, some are sharp, some are tall. Some have funny names and they are all different colors, but they all learn to live in the same box."

"Happy is the man that has wisdom and gets discernment. For having wisdom as gain is better than having silver as gain and having wisdom as produce is better than gold itself" Proverbs 3:14-3:15

The horrible part about life is, you'll never get out of it alive.

Currently boycotting: AngelFire, GameFAQ's
Everybody should go to this site at least once.
Shaper
Member # 247
Profile Homepage #11
What's with giving a cake that you have obviously started eating. Shame.

--------------------
I stop rubber at 160km/h, five times a week.
CANUCKS
RESPEK!
My Style
The Knight Between Posts.
Lifecrafter
Member # 1468
Profile Homepage #12
How do you know the other slice isn't behind it and cut out just so you can see the inside of the cake?

Besides, if I had started eating it, there would be more gone than that, as that cake looks delicious.

[ Sunday, October 23, 2005 18:37: Message edited by: Eldibs ]

--------------------
"We can learn a lot from crayons. Some are short, some are dull, some are sharp, some are tall. Some have funny names and they are all different colors, but they all learn to live in the same box."

"Happy is the man that has wisdom and gets discernment. For having wisdom as gain is better than having silver as gain and having wisdom as produce is better than gold itself" Proverbs 3:14-3:15

Shaper
Member # 247
Profile Homepage #13
It does look good.

--------------------
CANUCKS
RESPEK!
My Style
Shaper
Member # 5450
Profile Homepage #14
Happy birthday, I will have some of your cake please, Bain.

Anyway, best present I have ever recieved would be my MP3 player. I got it this year.

--------------------
Mugglenet--The ULTIMATE Harry Potter Site.
Polaris-- New location.
Shaper
Member # 247
Profile Homepage #15
Either my Bauer 5000 skates or my Louisville Response TPS stick.

IMAGE(http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B0000AQJS5.01-A3YM4PM4XKD41._SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg) IMAGE(http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B0000C4JFZ.01-A3YM4PM4XKD41._SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg)

[ Monday, October 24, 2005 00:27: Message edited by: VCH ]

--------------------
CANUCKS
RESPEK!
My Style
Warrior
Member # 4478
Profile Homepage #16
Last year I got a cute boy for my birthday. Unfortunately, we've since broken up, but that was a really good present.

Happy Birthday Bain. I hope it was a good one.

As for Thin Air's question, something personal is always good. If they're close friends, you should know their likes and dislikes. Listen closely to them.

For example, at my birthday party last year, a friend broke one of my wine glasses. The cute boy that I got for my birthday bought me new wine glasses for Christmas because he saw how upset I was about it.

Good luck on finding the perfect gift.
Shock Trooper
Member # 6102
Profile #17
The best birthday present I ever got was being reunited with my father after 2 years because he had some business to attend to in Europe. I know it doesn't sound like a fantastic present, but it meant a lot to me to see my Dad after not seeing him for a long period of time.

Edit: One word typo

[ Monday, October 24, 2005 05:06: Message edited by: Jeros ]

--------------------
"Truly, if there is evil in this world, it lies in the heart of mankind." -Edward D. Morrison
Agent
Member # 3364
Profile Homepage #18
The best gifts I ever got were, a purple fluffy bath robe, a Giradellies chocolate coffee sampler, and the LotR dvd trillogy widescreen extended edition. And the reason they're my favorite gifts is because all the words in bold are a few of my favorite things, and those who got me the gifts paid attention enough to know.

Edit: Ok, so I got myself the LotR trillogy, but hubby let me even though he hates si-fi/fantasy. Considering our budget it was a very thoughtful gift indeed.

[ Monday, October 24, 2005 05:18: Message edited by: Jewels ]

--------------------
"Even the worst Terror from Hell can be transformed to a testimony from Heaven!" - Rev. David Wood 6\23\05

"Do all the good you can, by all the means you can, in all the ways you can, in all the places you can, at all the times you can, to all the people you can, as long as you ever can." - John Wesley
Lifecrafter
Member # 1468
Profile Homepage #19
My favorite gift ever was a bit more, um... destructive, than all yours. It was a MAK-90 assault rifle (semi-auto AK-47).

IMAGE(http://www.angelfire.com/ex2/e2ie/mak-90.jpg)

*note that picture isn't a picture mine, but modified to look like it (hence the white blobs).*

Perfectly legal in the U.S. because it's semi-auto only, and the assault weapon ban was lifted. And it was only like $400 at most. Very fun to target shoot.

--------------------

Shaper
Member # 3442
Profile Homepage #20
Go for personal/sentimental ones. The best present I got was a cuddle from a really close "friend". That, plus a hand-knitted wolly hat.

For others, I try to select a part of their personality and play up to it. For instance, my girlfriend loves yellow roses, So I got 11 yellow roses delivered to her house, one every hour. Then, for the last one, to make 12, I took it, and we had dinner. It resulted in the best day ever.

--------------------
Everybody knows, but nobody understands.

Thus endeth this post.
By Committee
Member # 4233
Profile #21
Magazine subscriptions, if they are particularly suited to the receiver, can be great gifts too. Good magazines IMO include Atlantic Monthly, Harpers, New Yorker, and if you can afford it, Economist.

[ Monday, October 24, 2005 08:35: Message edited by: Drew ]
Too Sexy for my Title
Member # 5654
Profile #22
My fav Birthday Present........
So hard to decide. I should pick that one time where I received a surprise visit from my mother (who was currently living in NY) when I was 11. However, I would be lying. I loved being able to throw a "no adults allowed" party when I was 14. Materialistically, it would have to be my bracelet given to me by my mother. Now, my fav present from a guy would be a tie from my best friend JC giving me a necklace (I thought it was the sweetest thing), and I surprise visit from my ex boyfriend who just happens to be one of my closest friends.

[ Monday, October 24, 2005 12:54: Message edited by: Marlenny ]
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #23
My telescope. It was pretty cool, but I'm afraid the novelty is starting to wear off. :( It still works like a charm, though, and I'm quite happy with it.

--------------------
-ben4808

For those who love to spam:
CSM Forums
RIFQ
Infiltrator
Member # 6136
Profile #24
My best birthday present??
I can´t remeber any...
Oh, maybe the Dragon ball toys, ovbiously fake, about $2...
But sometimes my parents give me money, and I aprecciate more that any present.

--------------------
Death to my enemies!!

Pages