Shall we dance?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Shall we dance?
Shock Trooper
Member # 258
Profile Homepage #0
I feel the need for a rousing and contravesial subject. Does anyone have any theoletical, philosifical, sociological, or any other "cal" related subject that they'd like to throw out there? One of the things I loved about this place is that you've got so many contraversial opinions that it makes an amazing little conversation...so whos' game? throw me something please:D it's rather dissapointing that I can't think of something myself but suck are the ways of the world at this time...a sorry lack of sleep seems to put my mind out if it. So have at it!

--------------------
...well I thought it was funney...? didn't you?
Lifecrafter
Member # 1468
Profile Homepage #1
How about gun control? In my opinion, some gun control is good, more gun control is bad.

--------------------
"We can learn a lot from crayons. Some are short, some are dull, some are sharp, some are tall. Some have funny names and they are all different colors, but they all learn to live in the same box."

"Happy is the man that has wisdom and gets discernment. For having wisdom as gain is better than having silver as gain and having wisdom as produce is better than gold itself" Proverbs 3:14-3:15

The horrible part about life is, you'll never get out of it alive.

Currently boycotting: AngelFire, GameFAQ's
Everybody should go to this site at least once.
Shock Trooper
Member # 258
Profile Homepage #2
Hezah! a reply!

Well...being in the military I feel obliged to opt for a bit of laxness regarding gun control.

My opinion of a purfect world? Such things as guns, missiles, bombs, etc. were never brought into existance and people could still prove their metal through a class on the field of battle rather then being so far away as to make no difference.

But since such a thing is non-sensical by far I'd have to stay with the idea that gun control, while a noble effort, is widely pointless simply because what's the logic behind limiting the "good" (and I use that word with caution meaning simply the opposite of the following people) people when the "bad" people have no reagard to the rules put in place? It's like giveing someone a butter knife and another one a claymore...not to much logic there.

On another hand I can see how tightening the restriction would prevent people who normally would have no business (children, etc.) being anywhere near a gun from haveing a chance at one. And THAT is where the true benefit of gun control is. Keeping people alive is worth a little something no?

So I'd have to agree... A limited amount of gun control, however annoying, is quite an appropriate thing...

--------------------
Infiltrator
Member # 5991
Profile Homepage #3
no matter what level of gun control you have just because "you" follow it doesn't mean other less noble people will

--------------------
Visit the RIFQ Forums
Shock Trooper
Member # 258
Profile Homepage #4
my point exactly... (this post seems rather dry, no?)

--------------------
Lifecrafter
Member # 1468
Profile Homepage #5
quote:
On another hand I can see how tightening the restriction would prevent people who normally would have no business (children, etc.) being anywhere near a gun from haveing a chance at one. And THAT is where the true benefit of gun control is. Keeping people alive is worth a little something no?
That's great and all, but bathtubs cause 2x the accidental deaths of children that guns do, and there's no outcry against them.

quote:
no matter what level of gun control you have just because "you" follow it doesn't mean other less noble people will
Exactly. By outlawing guns, you only disarm the law-abiding citizens, not the law-breakers.

Statistics show that when gun control is increased in an area, crime goes up. They also show that when gun control goes down, so does crime.

--------------------
"We can learn a lot from crayons. Some are short, some are dull, some are sharp, some are tall. Some have funny names and they are all different colors, but they all learn to live in the same box."

"Happy is the man that has wisdom and gets discernment. For having wisdom as gain is better than having silver as gain and having wisdom as produce is better than gold itself" Proverbs 3:14-3:15

Trademark
Member # 6397
Profile #6
I agree with Eldibs.

Let's kill more darkies before they touch our white women.

EDIT:

quote:
A limited amount of gun control, however annoying, is quite an appropriate thing...

[ Sunday, October 16, 2005 16:03: Message edited by: Old Man Reggae ]
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #7
quote:
Statistics show that when gun control is increased in an area, crime goes up. They also show that when gun control goes down, so does crime.
Which statistics?

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
desperance.net - We're Everywhere
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Shock Trooper
Member # 3368
Profile #8
Statistics from Opposite Day.

--------------------
"Like most of life's problems, this one can be solved with bending"
Lifecrafter
Member # 1468
Profile Homepage #9
quote:
Using FBI statistics accumulated on a county level, Lott shows that in states that have strict gun control laws, there are higher crime rates, and in states with liberal gun carry laws, there are much lower crime rates, the more liberal the gun carry laws, the lower the crime rates. Thus, in states where the people have more guns, there is less crime, and this is because criminals in those states know that there is a very good chance that the next crime they attempt to commit, will be met in defense with a firearm to help prevent that crime.

I'm not sure where that person read these statistics at, as I couldn't find them on the FBI site.

--------------------

Infiltrator
Member # 5991
Profile Homepage #10
quote:

tm dont be racist

--------------------
Visit the RIFQ Forums
Trademark
Member # 6397
Profile #11
quote:
Originally written by Dark_Crusader:

quote:

tm dont be racist

lol! okay
Lifecrafter
Member # 6388
Profile #12
The statistics make the 'gun control only disables people with legitimate business having guns' argument moot.

Home defense is the most typical example given, and the most defensible. (The 'crazed madman' argument is usually reserved for NRA hardliners, because that sort of thing almost never happens and when it does people are generally powerless until the police arrive, guns or no.)
However, casualties - deaths and injuries - inflicted by home defense are in the minority, even discouting out-and-out felonies:

- home invasions are generally committed for the purposes of theft during a time the occupants are known or strongly suspected to be either asleep or gone; there is very little opportunity for the owner of a home to intercede under normal circumstances

- in the brief time in which a home owner and home invader are able to interact, chances are not particularly good that the owner will be able to retrieve and load a properly secured gun and then locate the intruder before he leaves the premises

- even considering all of that, most people who own guns for self-defense seem to labor under the delusion that simply owning a firearm is enough to protect them, and they have no actual need to learn how the damn thing works

All of these factors lead to all kinds of lovely stuff: people leaving guns partially secured or unsecured altogether, leaving ready access for juveniles or enabling any domestic quarrel to become fatally violent within seconds; a well-meaning attempt at home defense turning into involuntary manslaughter, or destruction of property or pets; and finally, the lovely prospect of actually arming someone who has no business in your house in the first place, being as how a significant amount of home invasions are perpetrated by those who know the target well enough to locate a firearm in his/her house.

The general consensus is that you are more likely to kill or maim one of your family members with a firearm purchased for home defense than you are any invader. And that's only considering LEGITIMATE uses for purchasing a handgun - right now they're also instrumental in escalating quarrels between friends and lovers.

I'm not of the opinion that any private citizen has any business owning a weapon whose overall intent is to kill or maim a human being. I'm not arguing we should ban handguns - simply that arguments for less stringent regulations are specious and alarmist.

The first and last word in home defense is the community, plain and simple. Giving everyone guns and telling them good luck gets a lot of people killed for no good reason.
Trademark
Member # 6397
Profile #13
You give these folks too much credit, but I like your style anyway.
Infiltrator
Member # 5991
Profile Homepage #14
old man question did you mean darkies as in criminals? or the way i took it to mean african americans

--------------------
Visit the RIFQ Forums
Too Sexy for my Title
Member # 5654
Profile #15
quote:
Originally written by Dark_Crusader:

quote:

tm dont be racist

He was using that little thing called: "Sarcasm".
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #16
Can someone come up with statistics for the use of guns in so-called crimes of passion?

The hole in the "bad men will have guns but good men won't" argument is that most guns used to kill people aren't in the hands of hardened criminals who enjoy shooting people. Many are purchased for self-defense and then used in a moment of anger. Basically, the number of "bad men" who need guns is vanishingly small, and the number of "good men" who turn bad when they have a gun is large.

—Alorael, who could see a thriving black market for firearms developing only if the removal of guns from common possession were largely a failure. If most people don't have guns, most people probably don't want guns either.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Lifecrafter
Member # 1468
Profile Homepage #17
quote:
I'm not of the opinion that any private citizen has any business owning a weapon whose overall intent is to kill or maim a human being. I'm not arguing we should ban handguns - simply that arguments for less stringent regulations are specious and alarmist.
I don't think gun control should be decreased. I think it's just fine where it's at. It should be neither increased or decreased.

--------------------

Lifecrafter
Member # 6388
Profile #18
I think where it's at is pretty irresponsibly lax, mind you - you can pick up some pretty needlessly deadly stuff at a gun show, for instance, and allowing civilians to get their hands on automatic weapons makes no sense.
Shaper
Member # 247
Profile Homepage #19
I disagree. When you want someone dead, now, there's nothing better than an automatic. Booya!

--------------------
I stop rubber at 160km/h, five times a week.
CANUCKS
RESPEK!
My Style
The Knight Between Posts.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #20
quote:
Originally written by Belisarius:

I think where it's at is pretty irresponsibly lax, mind you - you can pick up some pretty needlessly deadly stuff at a gun show, for instance, and allowing civilians to get their hands on automatic weapons makes no sense.
Well, the argument from particularly hard-boiled gun nuts is that the populace ought to be able to overthrow a tyrannical government by force of arms if necessary.

Of course, realistically, that's not going to happen unless every second person owns a tank. Even then, if we carry that hypothetical situation to its logical conclusion, there's no reason to suppose that every one of those tank-owners is going to oppose the government strongly enough to try to overthrow it, and in fact there are likely to be plenty of private tank-owners willing to defend the government by force.

So the actual result of an attempted revolution under circumstances where private citizens had the resources necessary to overthrow the government would, realistically, be a civil war that would make the Sudan look like a school playground.

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!
Shaper
Member # 247
Profile Homepage #21
If there are no guns then it switches to knifes innit. Besides Toronto, there aren't a lot of gun fatalities in Canada. But there is stabbings and the like. I guess it depends on what one classifies as the more dangerous weapon.

--------------------
I stop rubber at 160km/h, five times a week.
CANUCKS
RESPEK!
My Style
The Knight Between Posts.
Master
Member # 1046
Profile Homepage #22
I'd go with the knife. After all, everybody knows you run faster with one :D

--------------------
Polaris - Weather balloons, ninjas, and your big daddy Wise Man. What more could you want?
Undead Theories - Don't Ask, Don't Tell
Lifecrafter
Member # 6388
Profile #23
I'd imagine getting stabbed is generally preferable to being shot, in terms of fatalities and permanent injury.
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #24
Knives are actually Really Bad News in close-quarters.

--------------------
私のバラドですそしてころしたいいらればころす
Posts: 6936 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00

Pages