Shall we dance?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Shall we dance?
Shock Trooper
Member # 3368
Profile #25
quote:
Originally written by Eldibs:
quote:

Using FBI statistics accumulated on a county level, Lott shows that in states that have strict gun control laws, there are higher crime rates, and in states with liberal gun carry laws, there are much lower crime rates, the more liberal the gun carry laws, the lower the crime rates. Thus, in states where the people have more guns, there is less crime, and this is because criminals in those states know that there is a very good chance that the next crime they attempt to commit, will be met in defense with a firearm to help prevent that crime.

I'm not sure where that person read these statistics at, as I couldn't find them on the FBI site.

Well, yeah. States where the gun control laws are very lax are rural, conservative states. And the rural conservative states have less urban areas. And less urban areas means less violence. People in urban areas in liberal states with tight gun control laws are going to have violence no matter what because there is poverty. Similarly, rural and relatively wealthy states will have less violence regardless of gun laws.

[ Sunday, October 16, 2005 20:54: Message edited by: Bender Bending Rodriguez ]

--------------------
"Like most of life's problems, this one can be solved with bending"
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #26
Anybody else find it ironic that the conversation has turned to knife-fighting when the thread title is "Shall we dance?"

--------------------
Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.

I hate undead. I really, really, really, really hate undead. With a passion.
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #27
quote:
Originally written by Bender Bending Rodriguez:

Well, yeah. States where the gun control laws are very lax are rural, conservative states. And the rural conservative states have less urban areas. And less urban areas means less violence. People in urban areas in liberal states with tight gun control laws are going to have violence no matter what because there is poverty. Similarly, rural and relatively wealthy states will have less violence regardless of gun laws.
Ever heard of meth? That raises the violence independent of wealth or population. You are trying to simplify a complex situation and failed.

*this message sponsored by the cwp*
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #28
You can run away from someone with a knife without fear of dropping dead, unless they're some sort of expert knife-thrower.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
desperance.net - We're Everywhere
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #29
I also think that many people might be able to shoot someone but completely unable to stand a foot or two away and hack at someone with a knife. You know, because it's much more personal when you're getting splattered with blood and you have a flailing, screaming person who can probably hit you.

—Alorael, who finds this an equally good reason to ban knives and make everyone tear things apart with their bare hands. Chopsticks and spoons can still be allowed. If someone is willing to kill with a spoon, they are probably dangerous on a level that transcends armaments.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #30
quote:
Originally written by Drakefyre:

You can run away from someone with a knife without fear of dropping dead, unless they're some sort of expert knife-thrower.
Curiously enough, it isn't all that easy to aim at a running person unless you are at least somewhat experienced in shooting (not that you'd want to take a chance).

However, since there are amazingly many good shots as opposed to expert knife-throwers, the point is taken.

There are some people I might be willing to kill with a spoon. Although generally I'm a very peaceful, non-violent person. :)

[ Monday, October 17, 2005 08:59: Message edited by: Atrus ]

--------------------
The Encyclopaedia Ermariana <-- Now a Wiki!
"Polaris leers down from the black vault, winking hideously like an insane watching eye which strives to convey some strange message, yet recalls nothing save that it once had a message to convey." --- HP Lovecraft.
"I single Aran out due to his nasty temperament, and his superior intellect." --- SupaNik
Too Sexy for my Title
Member # 5654
Profile #31
quote:
Originally written by Atrus:

(not that you'd want to take a chance).
lol, funny. I was wondering about it.
quote:
There are some people I might be willing to kill with a spoon. Although generally I'm a very peaceful, non-violent person. :)
Please describe.

Edit: fixed the quote. Awsome, first time I divided it. Might seemed dumb, but I'm so proud.

[ Monday, October 17, 2005 09:39: Message edited by: Marlenny ]
Infiltrator
Member # 5991
Profile Homepage #32
how'd did a topic about gun control get into a topic of killing people with a spoon?? :confused: :confused: :confused:

[ Monday, October 17, 2005 11:33: Message edited by: Dark_Crusader ]

--------------------
Visit the RIFQ Forums
Infiltrator
Member # 6136
Profile #33
quote:
Originally written by Dark_Crusader:

how'd did a topic about gun control get into a topic of killing people with a spoon?? :confused: :confused: :confused:
funny isn't?
i consider myself as a peaceful people, sometimes, ovbiosly depending on my mood that i blow and want to kill anybody near me, not with a spoon though.maybe pick them with a fork...or do plate throwing...

--------------------
Death to my enemies!!
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #34
The problem with a gun is that most people don't carry firearms that have to be reloaded for each shot. Even six-shooters are uncommon. It is sadly possible that you may be running from someone with an automatic weapon, in which case they don't really need to be all that accurate. They get more tries than you probably want them to have.

—Alorael, who would like to think that sniping remains special even in an age of common gun violence. He'd also like to think that his indiscriminate use of the singular "they" will go unremarked.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00

Pages