Fav Accent

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Fav Accent
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #25
I found Ash's mix of British and Australian quite interesting, and I really like Australian, expecially if it's really strong.

Any other accent is fun to listen to, though.

--------------------
-ben4808

For those who love to spam:
CSM Forums
RIFQ
Apprentice
Member # 6278
Profile Homepage #26
Belfast is a favourite.

Glaswegian is neat. (don't forget to add "bah the weah" to every other sentence...)

I could come up with some favourites in other languages: North-west germans speaking german sound pleasant, east or south germans don't. I like parisian (or generally northern) accents in french. Southern french sounds harsher to me.

Odd thing: I tend to quickly pick up accents used around me all the time.

I was taught english in school (I lived in germany as a kid), but only to an extend of being able to understand and communicate certain topics (as my family is mainly french), so naturally I had a foreign accent. I learned a little bit of english from relatives in Belfast when I was very small, so I had mysterious traces of a Belfast lilt in some words that surprised my teacher numerous times and couldn't be rooted out.

I didn't have a need for english in every day life, so didn't improve much for some time.

Then I was taught more english by south africans, and I ended up having a south african accent, and losing my own foreign one completely.

Then I moved to New Zealand, where everybody asked me what area in South Africa I'm from. A few years later I moved to England, where even Kiwis asked me where in New Zealand I was from. I had picked up the broadest Kiwi accent without realising it, and lost the South African.
Two years down the line, my friends in Auckland complained that I had aquired the most ridiculous British Accent ever and I found that I could boldly claim to come from East Sussex without anyone in Sussex questioning it.

I also managed to be mistaken for an American (only on the phone so far), and a French-Canadian after I came back from France and had trouble switching back to english during the first few days.

So picking up new accents has become somewhat of a hobby :D

Edit: yes, Laurana can't spell, big news....

[ Saturday, October 08, 2005 16:46: Message edited by: Laurana ]

--------------------
I outnumbered them one to thirty!
Too Sexy for my Title
Member # 5654
Profile #27
Lol that sounds sooo fun. While speaking spanish I tend to stress the words depending on whom I'm speaking to, which is quite anoying and people may find it offensive. For example, while talking to a mexican I'll do the mexican spanish. While talking to my best friend I'll start doing the same hands movement she does for certain words and the same dominican slang she uses. While talking to someone from argentina, I find myself using Vos instead of Tu, and so forth.

I for one hate my accent while speaking english. It is not fully hispanic, since it's not as thick as Penelope Cruz's or Salma's accent, and therefore not the sexy hispanic accent hispanic girls are so proud of. Yet it is not an American accent, so I come of with this weird mix I hate.

Edit: Chico- You are right about one thing. You are def wrong about us (central american countries) sounding alike. Yeah, It's hard to tell for people who don't know spanish or anyone who speaks it. Otherwise, it's really easy to know or notice our accent by our way of speaking, the words we use, the tone, and how fast we speak. For example, Puerto Ricans and Dominicans are the two contries that speak or look more alike, yet we have tons of difference. Puerto Ricans add "nene, or nena" every time they are refering to someone like Dominicans go "mi amor, or cariño". While cursing Puerto Ricans use "Puñeta" 90% of the time, while Dominicans perfer "coño". Dominicans speak way faster, and Puerto Ricans more high pitched. There are way too many differences (and as I said before, this are the two more aliked countries) yet this are the ones at the top of my head. I understand why you wouldn't see the difference since you are located rather far from us, and I'm sure there aren't any Dominicans around Chile.
Btw, isn't it uncomfortable to hate the Argentina accent when Argentina is your neighbor country?

[ Saturday, October 08, 2005 18:41: Message edited by: Marlenny ]
Infiltrator
Member # 6136
Profile #28
and you know the chilean acent?i think is very weird for other people.
anyway i really hate the argentina acent :mad:
about the dominican acent, i have never noticed it,maybe its like the reggaeton singers, for me all the center america people talk the same, i know im wrong but i have never met a lot of dominicans or such.
i dont know why but i like the funny british acent, and the spanish make me laugh

--------------------
Death to my enemies!!
Mongolian Barbeque
Member # 1528
Profile #29
I love any British accent. Scots is nice — the best I encountered was from some guy collecting bus tickets in Edinburgh — as are some of the more "disreputable" London accents. I could listen to any of them all day long. Sweet music.

On the other hand, I loathe and despise the U.S. Southern accent. I've been exposed to it for so long when I was attending college in the South, that I wouldn't be surprised if I glow in the dark and have a half-life of 130 years and am now sterile.

At college I prided myself on being able to understand any accent. We had a fair number of students from exotic foreign countries, and I could understand them with no problem whatsoever while all those around me squinted with incomprehension whenever they spoke. I have a friend from Singapore whose accent apparently was exceptionally difficult to understand, yet I never had any problems.

And then one day my perfect record was ruined when I met a guy from Tennessee. Absolute gibberish. You'll never be able to convince me that was English he was speaking. I minimized contact with him because whenever he talked to me I would just stand there with a fake smile on my face nodding every now and then to give him the imrpession that I was studiously contemplating his every word. I was probably nodding and smiling while he was telling me how his entire family had been killed by a demon-possessed bulldozer. He probably thought I was some kind of retard.

[Oh, and P.S. — I loved that umlaut joke, Ornk of Death!]

--------------------
The A.E. van Vogt Information Site
My Tribute to the Greatest Writer of the Science Fiction Golden Age
E Equals MC What!!!!
Member # 5491
Profile Homepage #30
The New Zealand accent is probably the funniest. When you pronounce "6" as "sex" you're really pre-programmed to induce laughter. Bring on the fush & chups!

I dislike the Southern US accent.

--------------------
Sex is easier than love.
Too Sexy for my Title
Member # 5654
Profile #31
quote:
Originally written by Icshi:

And then one day my perfect record was ruined when I met a guy from Tennessee. Absolute gibberish. You'll never be able to convince me that was English he was speaking. I minimized contact with him because whenever he talked to me I would just stand there with a fake smile on my face nodding every now and then to give him the imrpession that I was studiously contemplating his every word. I was probably nodding and smiling while he was telling me how his entire family had been killed by a demon-possessed bulldozer. He probably thought I was some kind of retard.

[Oh, and P.S. — I loved that umlaut joke, Ornk of Death!]

Lmao, I don't remember laughing so much at a post before. I go through the same thing with this guy from Trinidad and Tobago, which is stupid becuase I know other people from there whom I can fully understand. The funny part is that I used to do the smiling and nodding thing for a while. However, a couple of weeks ago, I noticed that he was flirting with me. So that I'm afraid to smile and nod, so I'm just like: um, interesting/nice/cool or Listen I gotta go right now, but I'll ttyl.
I feel bad, but I can't understand a word he says.
Infiltrator
Member # 2104
Profile Homepage #32
My most favorite accent is German, and second is English. This is coupled with my desire to learn the German language. Whoot.

--------------------
—Zxquez Zolohahni
I eat blueberries in pie square.
Xerch'de/Rate.
I miss you, but I haven't met you yet.
So special, but it hasn't happened yet.
Shaper
Member # 5450
Profile Homepage #33
quote:
Originally written by Archmage Alex:

I hate the "Utahn" accent. Think regular American accent but with a scattering of words that are shortened and mispronounced. For example: "probably" comes out like "probly", "interesting" sounds like "intch-wrist-ing", "supposed" is "s'post" and a few others I know, but can't think of off the top of my head. Gah! It drive me crazy when I catch myself using such horribly twisted pronunciation!
That is similar to the Australian accent. Well, not accent, but langauge. We shorten words, but 'probably' comes out as 'prolly' and 'supposed' usually only comes out as "s'post" when the next word we are saying something that begns with a 't'.

And 'mate' tends to come out as 'may'.

--------------------
Mugglenet--The ULTIMATE Harry Potter Site.
Polaris-- New location.
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #34
Well, Marlenny's post reminds me that I love Trinis and their accents too. It's kind of a lilting, rhythmical accent.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
desperance.net - We're Everywhere
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Shaper
Member # 3442
Profile Homepage #35
I love the Cockney accent (from London). That's gorgeous. If it's okay to use the word "gorgeous" when talking about sounds that is.

I really dislike British RP. Far too stiff and sterotypical of us.

--------------------
Everybody knows, but nobody understands.

Thus endeth this post.
Infiltrator
Member # 6136
Profile #36
quote:
Originally written by Ash Lael:

[QB]The New Zealand accent is probably the funniest. When you pronounce "6" as "sex" you're really pre-programmed to induce laughter. Bring on the fush & chups!
QB]
oh men that is a must to hear thing!
any zeland poster round here?

--------------------
Death to my enemies!!
Warrior
Member # 5268
Profile #37
quote:

The New Zealand accent is probably the funniest. When you pronounce "6" as "sex" you're really pre-programmed to induce laughter. Bring on the fush & chups!

Don't get me started on those 'flesh' houses they have all over the place - you would think they had one track minds.

...and watch out for the 'ice cream'.
Shaper
Member # 5450
Profile Homepage #38
quote:
Originally written by WST ben:

...I really like Australian, expecially if it's really strong.
The Aussie accent isn't 'strong', imho. Its just...naturally smartass. We don't tell you what we are, we tell you what we aren't.

'How are you?' - 'Not bad.'
'How far is it?' - 'Not far.'

And so on.

--------------------
Mugglenet--The ULTIMATE Harry Potter Site.
Polaris-- New location.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #39
That's dialect, not accent. :P

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!
Shock Trooper
Member # 3377
Profile #40
We had a guest lecturer once with a very thick Welsh accent. Couldn't understand a word he said for the entire lecture, except for the frequent exclamations of, "BANG! Dead."
Shock Trooper
Member # 643
Profile #41
quote:
Originally written by chicho:

quote:

[QB]The New Zealand accent is probably the funniest. When you pronounce "6" as "sex" you're really pre-programmed to induce laughter. Bring on the fush & chups!
QB]

Actually the 6=Sex is an Australian one.

They also say it Feesh and Cheaps!

We don't have silly accents at all good sir. I think Kingy is just hanging around alot of teenagers heading into puberty :P

Personally I love the Southern Belle accent "I do declare"

--------------------
Fine Meal is people!!!
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #42
quote:
Originally written by premonition:

We had a guest lecturer once with a very thick Welsh accent. Couldn't understand a word he said for the entire lecture, except for the frequent exclamations of, "BANG! Dead."
Dare I ask what subject this lecture was in that he had occasion to utter such exclamations?

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!
E Equals MC What!!!!
Member # 5491
Profile Homepage #43
Chemistry?

--------------------
Sex is easier than love.
Shock Trooper
Member # 1249
Profile Homepage #44
quote:
What's your fav accent?
Ever since I spent a couple of weeks in Scotland (about a year ago), it's been Scottish.

I like the Southwest Finland accent, and I live there.

However, I hate Finnish accent in English, French etc., at least when it's thick. (In fact, I hate my own accent when I try to speak English)
Shock Trooper
Member # 3377
Profile #45
quote:

Chemistry?
Actually, electrical safety. Something along the lines of:
"Driver operated cherry picker beneath power lines. BANG! Dead! Electrician installed powerpoint without turning off mains. BANG! Dead!" etc. It was quite a funny lecture, in a purely unintentional way.
Lifecrafter
Member # 3171
Profile Homepage #46
quote:
Originally written by Mortimer:

quote:
Originally written by chicho:

quote:

QB]

Actually the 6=Sex is an Australian one.

They also say it Feesh and Cheaps!

We don't have silly accents at all good sir. I think Kingy is just hanging around alot of teenagers heading into puberty :P

Go to another country, then come back here and listen to the people around you. We all talk like retards. But I do admit, it's only the auckland maoris who say the fish and chips thing.
Nuke and Pave
Member # 24
Profile Homepage #47
In English, I like British accent. I think it sound more calm and educated.

--------------------
Be careful with a word, as you would with a sword,
For it too has the power to kill.
However well placed word, unlike a well placed sword,
Can also have the power to heal.
Infiltrator
Member # 65
Profile Homepage #48
I like the Welsh accent for some reason.

--------------------
"He's mine, go get your own human plaything!" Bernard Black (Black Books)

Also look at my sitehere
This is also a good site
Shock Trooper
Member # 643
Profile #49
Great ... I don't even have the accent thing going for me anymore.

--------------------
Fine Meal is people!!!

Pages