I'M BAAAAAAAAAACK

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: I'M BAAAAAAAAAACK
Lifecrafter
Member # 1468
Profile Homepage #25
quote:
While AC/DC are cool, I find this statement unlikely.
You're right. I read this number in a record book some time ago, and mis-read it as 19 billion, it's actually 19 million.
http://www.askmen.com/toys/top_10_60/67_top_10_list.html

By the way, Def Leppard holds a world record (copied directly from the Guinness Book of World Records site)

Concert Performed In Most Continents In 24 Hours

British band Def Leppard played on three continents - Africa, Europe, and North America, on October 23, 1995. Each of the concerts lasted for at least one hour and was attended by 200 or more people. The first began at 12.23 am in Morocco. The band then flew to London for the second concert and finished in Vancouver, Canada, at 11.33 pm on the same day.

[ Thursday, October 06, 2005 09:07: Message edited by: Eldibs ]

--------------------
"We can learn a lot from crayons. Some are short, some are dull, some are sharp, some are tall. Some have funny names and they are all different colors, but they all learn to live in the same box."

"Happy is the man that has wisdom and gets discernment. For having wisdom as gain is better than having silver as gain and having wisdom as produce is better than gold itself" Proverbs 3:14-3:15

The horrible part about life is, you'll never get out of it alive.

Currently boycotting: AngelFire, GameFAQ's
Everybody should go to this site at least once.
Agent
Member # 3349
Profile Homepage #26
Wow this really flew off topic...

--------------------
And everybody say....Yatta!
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #27
quote:
Originally written by SupaNik:

quote:
Originally written by Thuryl:

"If unicorns don't exist, how can they have one horn?"
They can't. But since they can also not have two horns, or three horns, or any other amount of horns, the answer must be one.

They can't have one or any amount of horns. So the answer is still definately not one. However, if a unicorn were found, by definition it would have one horn. So that unicorn does as do all of them that exist.

--------------------
-ben4808

For those who love to spam:
CSM Forums
RIFQ
Shock Trooper
Member # 3368
Profile #28
quote:
Originally written by Eldibs:
Considering AC/DC has sold over 19 BILLION albums and most of their albums (if not all) have gone platinum (Back in Black went something like 21x platinum recently, I think), that Def Leppard's song "Pour Some Sugar On Me" is one of the most recognized songs ever and they can play just as good with a one-armed drummer, and that Eddie Van Halen was one of the greatest guitar players ever, qualifies all three to be considered "good bands." Tell me, what "great music" do you listen to?

Selling boatloads of records doesn't show that they are good, it shows that they are popularly accesible. All those bands are a bit too similar for my taste. All their songs are is a catchy riff and a catchy chorus with little variation.

--------------------
"Like most of life's problems, this one can be solved with bending"
Lifecrafter
Member # 1468
Profile Homepage #29
There's little variation in the format of the songs. actually, there's little change in the format of most songs I've heard.

There is variation in the riffs, choruses, the speed of the music, and the overall sound.

And selling maybe 1 or 2 million albums shows they are popularly accessable. Selling 19 million copies of THE SAME ALBUM shows they are good.

BTW, you never said what wonderful kind of music that you listen to.

[ Thursday, October 06, 2005 19:40: Message edited by: Eldibs ]

--------------------
"We can learn a lot from crayons. Some are short, some are dull, some are sharp, some are tall. Some have funny names and they are all different colors, but they all learn to live in the same box."

"Happy is the man that has wisdom and gets discernment. For having wisdom as gain is better than having silver as gain and having wisdom as produce is better than gold itself" Proverbs 3:14-3:15

...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #30
quote:
Originally written by WST ben:

quote:

quote:

They can't. But since they can also not have two horns, or three horns, or any other amount of horns, the answer must be one.

They can't have one or any amount of horns. So the answer is still definately not one. However, if a unicorn were found, by definition it would have one horn. So that unicorn does as do all of them that exist.

What if a unicorn exists and you surgically remove its horn? Is it still a unicorn? I think most people would say "yes", so it seems clear that actually having a horn is not a definitional property of a unicorn.

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!
Lifecrafter
Member # 1468
Profile Homepage #31
It's whether or not it has a horn, it's whether or not it's a descendant of unicorns.

--------------------

Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #32
The Platonic ideal of the unicorn will always have a horn (and no more than one horn).

This brings up another interesting question. If unicorns are fertile with donkeys, is the offspring a mule, and if so, does it have a horn?

—Alorael, who wonders if the platonic ideal of a unicornimule always has a horn even if the actual unicornimules don't.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Lifecrafter
Member # 1468
Profile Homepage #33
I wonder what would happen if you genetically spliced cows and horses together. Would the result be a bicorn?

[ Thursday, October 06, 2005 21:26: Message edited by: Eldibs ]

--------------------

Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #34
quote:
Originally written by Eldibs:

It's whether or not it has a horn, it's whether or not it's a descendant of unicorns.
I agree with that. Its a unicorn because its father and mother were unicorns, not becasue it has a horn. if we would go by the fact if it has a horn or not, then you could also make a horn of paper and put it on a horses head and say that it is a unicorn, but it isn't.

--------------------
Thralni's almighty Avernum pages: My webpage, containing scenario's and graphics made by me (And maybe someday the homepage of the almighty chicken gods).

Click here for more information on Olga's fortune teller kiosk

Olga's fortune teller kiosk has been temporarily closed down, but you can contact the prophet with a PM - Was signed by the prophet of the almighty chicken gods, gods of everything that is a chicken.

Work has begun on the Nephilian grammar and vocabulary guide!
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #35
quote:

quote:
Originally written by WST ben:

quote:

quote:

What if a unicorn exists and you surgically remove its horn? Is it still a unicorn? I think most people would say "yes", so it seems clear that actually having a horn is not a definitional property of a unicorn.

For most animals, the physical properties at maturity or in a natural environment are the defining ones.

(Was going to say "birth", but realized that next to no animals are born with their horns).

By the way, the above definition helps nothing. How do you define the mother and father as a unicorn? Do you have to trace a unicorn's ancestry back to a Primal Unicorn to define it as such? And what if a unicorn mates with a horse? Is it a uni-mule?

[ Friday, October 07, 2005 01:42: Message edited by: Aran-something. ]

--------------------
The Encyclopaedia Ermariana <-- Now a Wiki!
"Polaris leers down from the black vault, winking hideously like an insane watching eye which strives to convey some strange message, yet recalls nothing save that it once had a message to convey." --- HP Lovecraft.
"I single Aran out due to his nasty temperament, and his superior intellect." --- SupaNik
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #36
The moment I saw the above remark, I thought "by the horn". Then I realized I have to prvoe that you don't necesarrily need a horn for identifictaion of the unichorn. A unicorn probably has something else that is unique for unicorns. Not only a horn (A rhino also has a horn. Is it a unicorn? no. Heck, also a giraffe has two small horns). The fact that a unicorn is almost always white, maybe (exept in Avernum and Exile. For some reason unicorns are black or grey in Avernum/Exile)? There really should be more things by which you can identify a unicorn, I just can't come up with one at the moment.

And about a uni-mule... Um... Why not? People may not call it a uni-mule, but it can be, can't it?

--------------------
Thralni's almighty Avernum pages: My webpage, containing scenario's and graphics made by me (And maybe someday the homepage of the almighty chicken gods).

Click here for more information on Olga's fortune teller kiosk

Olga's fortune teller kiosk has been temporarily closed down, but you can contact the prophet with a PM - Was signed by the prophet of the almighty chicken gods, gods of everything that is a chicken.

Work has begun on the Nephilian grammar and vocabulary guide!
Agent
Member # 1993
Profile #37
quote:

What if a unicorn exists and you surgically remove its horn? ...

(
:eek:
))((^

Stop needless animal tests!
PETA & the vegetarians

--------------------
^ö^ vegetarians are sexy.
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #38
quote:
Originally written by spy.there:

quote:

What if a unicorn exists and you surgically remove its horn? ...

(
:eek:
))((^

Stop needless animal tests!
PETA & the vegetarians

Protect Legendary Animals!
Put a stop to dragon-slaying knights! :)

--------------------
The Encyclopaedia Ermariana <-- Now a Wiki!
"Polaris leers down from the black vault, winking hideously like an insane watching eye which strives to convey some strange message, yet recalls nothing save that it once had a message to convey." --- HP Lovecraft.
"I single Aran out due to his nasty temperament, and his superior intellect." --- SupaNik
Shaper
Member # 3442
Profile Homepage #39
Doesn't personal belief tell us whether or not it's a unicorn? Sure, objective tests can try to prove it one or the other 'til the cows come home, but if we believe (or don't believe) it to be a unicorn, then to us it will or won't be.

I don't know. It sounded better in my head...

--------------------
"I am a living sign..."

Thus endeth this post.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #40
quote:
Originally written by Aran-something.:

By the way, the above definition helps nothing. How do you define the mother and father as a unicorn? Do you have to trace a unicorn's ancestry back to a Primal Unicorn to define it as such? And what if a unicorn mates with a horse? Is it a uni-mule?
These are all very good points, and real-world analogues of this issue represent a real problem for people trying to define the characteristics of a species. I suspect they're of more interest to taxonomists than to philosophers, though. :P

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!
Skip to My Lou
Member # 40
Profile Homepage #41
quote:

Doesn't personal belief tell us whether or not it's a unicorn? Sure, objective tests can try to prove it one or the other 'til the cows come home, but if we believe (or don't believe) it to be a unicorn, then to us it will or won't be.

I don't know. It sounded better in my head...

I understand what you're saying, however, this wouldn't work as it is simply "naming" and not actually "defining". For example: instead of calling cows "cows" I call them "unicorns". To me, those milk producing bovines are "unicorns" because that is what I have decided to call them.

--------------------
Take the Personality Test! INTJ 100% 75% 100% 44%
Huzzah for the Masterminds!
www.Keirsey.com for personality information.
The Sloganizer! "Swing your Archmage Alex."
Deep down, you wish you were a stick figure.
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #42
Doesn't 'unicorn' mean 'one horn'? In that case, a unicorn with no horn should be referred to as a nocorn. :P Whatever.

But anyway, I agree that all unicorn without some genetic defect has one horn. Well, assuming that unicorns exist, but that goes back to frame one.

--------------------
-ben4808

For those who love to spam:
CSM Forums
RIFQ

Pages