what the hell is this?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: what the hell is this?
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #25
Boo Hiss to all of ya. A guy comes and posts for the first time, obviously an Avernum nut, and you forgot to greet him.

Jake, welcome to the Spiderweb Forums. Please deposit your sanity in the appropriate recepticle as you enter. It will not be returned when you leave.

*this message sponsored by walmart*
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #26
quote:
Originally written by chicho:

quote:
Originally written by spy.there:

edit
to chicho: :) Ephesos made a compliment.

oh then thanks to Ephesos :D

Actually, it wasn't so much a compliment as me worrying about how much of the posts have been spam. That's just how most post counts shoot up like that. So, in summary: try to avoid spam, chicho.

And more importantly, welcome Jake. Hopefully, you'll stick around if you're an Avernum fan. One detail that Salmon forgot to mention, though: your sanity will be thrown into the fluffy turtle pit, in order to... well, feed the fluffy turtles. I still don't really get why they're fluffy, but it's tradition.

--------------------
Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.

I hate undead. I really, really, really, really hate undead. With a passion.
Warrior
Member # 6347
Profile #27
Good point Mr. Salmon.

The shame! :(

Welcome Jake! And do stick around.

I'm new myself, and the locals don't seem to be too dangerous.

Although, I must admit... when they think I'm not looking, I've noticed a few sharpening knives and going through their spice cabinet looking for... well, something...

I'm just glad they haven't found what they're apparently looking for yet. :eek:

--------------------
"Take time to listen to what is said without words, to obey the law too subtle to be written, to worship the unnameable and to embrace the unformed." -- Lao Tzu
Shock Trooper
Member # 932
Profile #28
I'm curious as to why this topic was started at all. I spotted this particular site at least a year and a half ago. Even a cursory inspection revealed that it is a non commerical, "Open Gaming License / Dungeons & Dragons"-ification of Avernum, and tweaked to someone's particular tastes.

I fail to see what concerned chicho in the first place. It is a 'homebrew'/fanfic setting - of course there is going to be some crossover of content from the Avernum series. And of course there are going to be differences - almost everyone would ret-con the Za-Khazi Run out of existance if possible.

Not to mention that if it is a persistant campaign, (almost all D&D campaigns are to some degree) that if the party managed to resurrect Erika then she is no longer dead. If they managed to assassinate Prazac, then they assassinated Prazac. If you could ret-con the parts of Avernum that sucked and add what you thought was cool, wouldn't you? So why was chicho suprised that there are differences between Avernum the game and someone else's personal campaign based on it?

Even if you knew nothing about D&D, most of this should have been bleedingly obvious. Am I trashing chicho? Yes, though quite frankly I'm not one to talk. Stop sniggering, I meant figuratively.

--------------------
Microsoft Patents Ones, Zeroes (March 25, 1998)
"Asians are good at Starcraft because they're always squinting, thus they can see things sharply. Remember to always squint in war." ~ Sun-Tzu's The Fart of War
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #29
Be nice.

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!
Infiltrator
Member # 2940
Profile Homepage #30
I have the distinct feeling Jake will be one of those one time posters, maybe two...

--------------------
"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work, I want to achieve it through not dying."
Shock Trooper
Member # 643
Profile #31
I wouldn't blame him.

I've always liked the idea of a Pen & Paper Avernum RPG myself.

--------------------
Fine Meal is people!!!
Shock Trooper
Member # 932
Profile #32
quote:
Originally written by Thuryl:

Be nice.
I was being nice! I decided not to lead 'im into a pit filled with the makeshift punji sticks that Muji saw me sharpening. Ah... disregard that, I never advocated killing a forum member, nope it wasn't me... honest ;)

--------------------
Microsoft Patents Ones, Zeroes (March 25, 1998)
"Asians are good at Starcraft because they're always squinting, thus they can see things sharply. Remember to always squint in war." ~ Sun-Tzu's The Fart of War
Shake Before Using
Member # 75
Profile #33
Well, the "done wrong" thing wasn't because of story things but rather because, like, there were about 12 additional races.

Oh, and Nephalem. >_>
Warrior
Member # 6347
Profile #34
Valid points, CPeters, but I think Chicho thought it was a page for an upcoming video game, not some home-brewed D&D campaign.

And that put aside, it's still an odd page to see out of the blue, if you don't read everything othere than a few basics, seeing what appears to be a new Avernum-based RPG.

quote:
Originally written by Mortimer:

I've always liked the idea of a Pen & Paper Avernum RPG myself.
And yes... I'd play that. :D

--------------------
"Take time to listen to what is said without words, to obey the law too subtle to be written, to worship the unnameable and to embrace the unformed." -- Lao Tzu
Agent
Member # 1993
Profile #35
((
:D
))((^
"" ""
Woo hoo, welcome Jake! You found us at last. Have fun at Spiderweb boards and don't become a one-time-poster.
Hey, you got a 4star rating with the first post! This is absolutely unique.

^__^ feels so proud to have hooked a new member ...

--------------------
^ö^ vegetarians are sexy.
Agent
Member # 5814
Profile #36
Jake is not coming back, Spy, and he's probably warped now that he's seen Spidweb's creepy little welcome pit.

--------------------
I HAVE LOCATED MY CAPS LOCK KEY AND FEEL YOU SHOULD KNOW THAT!
Infiltrator
Member # 6136
Profile #37
oh its seems that everyone lately have a cospiracy against me :P
is that i can say anything?
without being butchered and cutted in many pieces and being ate by some forums members i mean

--------------------
Death to my enemies!!
Infiltrator
Member # 6136
Profile #38
quote:
Originally written by Ephesos:

So, in summary: try to avoid spam, chicho.

well whatever man, anyway a lot of the people with most post here just spam,and maybe now your critical mind is wandering why i did,t posted this just under my last post that is just above this one,well excuse me sir but most of times i dont spam i just gove a lot of opinions and open little topics.
we all have our ways you know ;)

--------------------
Death to my enemies!!
Mongolian Barbeque
Member # 1528
Profile #39
[b]I[/b] for one did not partake of your flesh. But quite frankly I'm just saving room for dessert.

EDIT: Besides, these spicy Chilean delicacies tend to give me heartburn.

[ Monday, October 03, 2005 14:36: Message edited by: Icshi ]

--------------------
The A.E. van Vogt Information Site
My Tribute to the Greatest Writer of the Science Fiction Golden Age
Shock Trooper
Member # 643
Profile #40
Don't double post either ... strict arn't we?

You can edit your previous post by clicking on the Edit button at the top of your post, if you don't know already.

--------------------
Fine Meal is people!!!
Too Sexy for my Title
Member # 5654
Profile #41
quote:
Originally written by Mortimer:

Don't double post either ... strict arn't we?

You can edit your previous post by clicking on the Edit button at the top of your post, if you don't know already.

I think double posting is not that strict at all. Chico is just doing what almost every visible newbie does when he/she gets to SW: SPAM to increase post count. Hopefully, he'll be over it once he spends more time in SW.

I don't dislike him nor I have any reasons why I should. God knows I'm not the one to judge when it comes to spamming. But the way he is going, he ain't making that many friends.

Edit: Something I learned from SW: DO NOT TAKE THINGS PERSONAL OR YOU WON'T MAKE IT ANY FAR.

[ Monday, October 03, 2005 14:45: Message edited by: Marlenny ]
Infiltrator
Member # 6136
Profile #42
naahhh...i didn't have idea! :P
and i just double post once in the last page, just for pressing the back button instead of waiting the "sit tigh, we are taking you back..."

--------------------
Death to my enemies!!
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #43
Okay, this topic has turned bad.

I'm not going to lock it, on the off chance that either Jake returns or someone else decides to bring it back on track, but I'd appreciate it if everyone would stop filling it with spam and bickering.

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!
Infiltrator
Member # 6136
Profile #44
quote:
Originally written by Marlenny:

[QBI think double posting is not that strict at all. Chico is just doing what almost every visible newbie does when he/she gets to SW: SPAM to increase post count. Hopefully, he'll be over it once he spends more time in SW.

I don't dislike him nor I have any reasons why I should. God knows I'm not the one to judge when it comes to spamming. But the way he is going, he ain't making that many friends.

Edit: Something I learned from SW: DO NOT TAKE THINGS PERSONAL OR YOU WON'T MAKE IT ANY FAR.[/QB]
oh you should be a philosopher you know, anyway why we should be fighting so much here?is just a forum, maybe if we know each other we could realize that we aren't so unmatching,but well i think you were a newbie here too but i think that you maybe dont spam a little bit,and why people call spam to everytime that someone say something that thinks that is a little far of the topic discussion?isnt this a forum?i have seen a lot of people with more posts than me and just a little months of difference, or there is some new that are in way to be even "worst" than me.and close the topic if you want,anyway the main thing here is solved.

The last thing is what i refer before, why we cre so much in other posts as if they were the people whole personality,and the fact of get friends here is a bit weird too, im not saying to not be but friends should be meet here and the enter a chat or msn to be friend.this is a forum or SW anyway.
-------------------------------------------
[QUOTE]Originally written by Muji:
2) It was meant as an ironic statement, waving it in the face of the man? (something along the lines of "Ahah! Look at this! See? Oh, the irony! I know what I'm doing, and I know it's wrong, but I'm gonna do it anyways cuz I'm a rebel!") [QUOTE]
----------------------------------------
maybe kind of something like that but without the spammer intention,and woth less "im evil and wild" actitude.
now i edited it!i hope inyone see this considering that now isnt at the bottom...(see the quotes marks?well use your imagination and pretend they are real,stupid quotes!)

[ Tuesday, October 04, 2005 14:04: Message edited by: chicho ]

--------------------
Death to my enemies!!
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #45
(Grammar and Punctuation Police Report)

We just don't know what to make of this one, chief.

---------

But seriously, chicho, no offense meant. It's just that you've racked up quite a bit of posts lately, a number of double posts (I know most of those were unintentional).

I honestly just mean, try not to spam. I wasn't insinuating that you had.

--------------------
Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.

I hate undead. I really, really, really, really hate undead. With a passion.
Apprentice
Member # 6364
Profile #46
I wasn't going to make additional posts because to be honest the whole situation's something of an embarassment now and I was hoping this would just fade into obscurity... but my insomnia's gotten the better of my good sense, and it's either this or fall of the wagon (World of Warcraft free for 23 days now... almost ready to switch to the smaller patch).

If you're still wondering what the hell, why I changed what I did... well, like I said, the plot had to be different or everyone would know the Vahnatai were behind the plagues from day one :) That and I just like to tinker. It was fun looking at elements of the D&D world and saying 'okay, if the Empire took over, where would the elves go?' and so on.

You don't have to like it. To be honest, you're not supposed to (or rather, if you do it's entirely by coincidence). I can count the intended audience of the website on one hand. And given that very limited audience, I'd say the site works, because we're having fun with it. We still have games every week. Is it the Avernum world as set forth by Spiderweb Software? No. It's been tweaked, twisted, supplemented, and warped... in some cases because it needed to be (the surprise factor) in some cases just because we wanted to (there's a diminutive rodent-like species with quills growing out of its back because one of my players wanted to play a size Small race but was sick of getting grappled all the time). But it was never meant to be authentic. For what it is, it serves our purposes well. I'd certainly take it down if Spiderweb took issue with it, but given the campaign has actually encouraged at least a couple of my friends to buy the Avernum games, and it isn't costing them a dime (or causing major market confusion... I'm what, ten pages in on a Google search? And that's after the traffic from this discussion board), I'd say they're probably more interested in cracking down on pirated registration codes and the like.

Anyway... good to see there's still a bunch of rabid Avernum fans. I haven't seen this kind of long-term dedication since Marathon.
Warrior
Member # 6347
Profile #47
quote:
Originally written by chicho:

well whatever man, anyway a lot of the people with most post here just spam,and maybe now your critical mind is wandering why i did,t posted this just under my last post that is just above this one,well excuse me sir but most of times i dont spam i just gove a lot of opinions and open little topics.
we all have our ways you know ;)

If, by this, you mean that some of us might be wondering why you didn't simply edit your previous post and add stuff instead of making a new one, then, yes... I'm wondering, and I'm sure others are as well.

Not judging... lord knows many do that. But I -am- wondering, and since you brought it up, I thought you'd explain!

But you didn't. So I'm confused. :(

So, why didn't you edit your post?

Is it because...

1) You are actually looking for any reason to up your post count?

2) It was meant as an ironic statement, waving it in the face of the man? (something along the lines of "Ahah! Look at this! See? Oh, the irony! I know what I'm doing, and I know it's wrong, but I'm gonna do it anyways cuz I'm a rebel!")

3) Both of the above?

4) None of the above, and some other reason I haven't mentioned instead? In which case, what's the reason?

Just curious... usually too much so for my own good. ;)

quote:
Originally written by EotBeholder:

I wasn't going to make additional posts because to be honest the whole situation's something of an embarassment now and I was hoping this would just fade into obscurity...
No no, forget about it! I do believe that, for most of us, you've given a perfectly clear and valid explanation. No embarassment needed.

But seriously, stick around, pull up a chair, make yourself at home. :)

I mean, you made a D&D campaign out of Avernum... so clearly you like the games. ;)

So you belong here! :D

--------------------
Warrior
Member # 6368
Profile Homepage #48
oh, jakes ok but listen guys, me and my bros created a mix of avernum geneforge and stuff... and well, its on cd my dad smart he helped me create it and i think if its for personal use only its fine, i cant make copies ne ways, it would takeforever, but i could if i wanted to :rolleyes:

--------------------
MMORPG developed by jagex ltd. Join RuneScape.com today!

hawk kings editor edited by me for geneforge 2
http://www.ironycentral.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=16&t=000906#00 0000
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #49
quote:
Originally written by green kid:

oh, jakes ok but listen guys, me and my bros created a mix of avernum geneforge and stuff... and well, its on cd my dad smart he helped me create it and i think if its for personal use only its fine, i cant make copies ne ways, it would takeforever, but i could if i wanted to :rolleyes:
Hmmm, what else seemed like a mix of Avernum and Geneforge? :P

...never mind.

--------------------
-ben4808

For those who love to spam:
CSM Forums
RIFQ

Pages