what the hell is this?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: what the hell is this?
Infiltrator
Member # 6136
Profile #0
well, i found this page some time ago...
i asked jeff about it but he didn't give me a real answer, so anyone knows what is this? avernum?

--------------------
Death to my enemies!!
Mongolian Barbeque
Member # 1528
Profile #1
That is pretty weird, especially the differences between Jeff's games and the information presented there.

Maybe it's a fan site that spun out of control and got delusions of grandeur?

The bottom of each page says "Site by Jake Manley. Open Game Content ruthlessly stolen from Wizards of the Coast, White Wolf Studios, and Malhavoc Press." No mention of Spiderweb Software...

Yet on the main page he says "Avernum is also a whole new world. The lands, the races, the classes, the monsters... they're all new, or at least altered. A few of you may know the Avernum trilogy of computer games from Spiderweb Software. The Avernum of this campaign is not the Avernum of those games. If a character from one of the worlds were to be suddenly transported to the other, he might get a strong sense of deja-vu, but he'd still be at a loss as to what the hell was going on. So if you're not familiar with the computer games, don't worry; you won't feel left out. Actually, you'll probably be better off, not having to wonder when I'll get around to throwing the stupid giant talking spiders at you."

I don't know. It is very strange.

[ Saturday, October 01, 2005 19:55: Message edited by: Icshi ]

--------------------
The A.E. van Vogt Information Site
My Tribute to the Greatest Writer of the Science Fiction Golden Age
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #2
Very strange indeed.

Maybe Jeff just didn't know about it. Or maybe he just doesn't care. But either way, it does look like a rather blatant ripoff.

And don't expect Jeff to respond to every email, chicho.

EDIT: The skyrocketing postcount is a bit disconcerting, chicho.

[ Saturday, October 01, 2005 20:10: Message edited by: Ephesos ]

--------------------
Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.

I hate undead. I really, really, really, really hate undead. With a passion.
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #3
This was prophecied in the Black Chronicles. The end is near.

*this message sponsored by the idiots*
Shaper
Member # 247
Profile Homepage #4
Maybe Jeff stole this guys ideas. :D

--------------------
I stop rubber at 160km/h, five times a week.
CANUCKS
RESPEK!
My Style
The Knight Between Posts.
Infiltrator
Member # 5806
Profile Homepage #5
quote:
Originally written by VCH:

Maybe Jeff stole this guys ideas. :D
Considering that the Avernum games are remakes of the Exile trilogy, I doubt it.

--------------------
So, as the great Groxy, I have come back to be served by goblins. In the "main hall" of the goblin cave was a large totem which resembled very much of... me.
Shake Before Using
Member # 75
Profile #6
This is Avernum for D&D but done wrong, basically. :P
Infiltrator
Member # 6136
Profile #7
quote:
Originally written by Ephesos:

Very strange indeed.

Maybe Jeff just didn't know about it. Or maybe he just doesn't care. But either way, it does look like a rather blatant ripoff.

And don't expect Jeff to respond to every email, chicho.
well, he DID answered me, but with this: "Mhhh, thamk you for leting me know it".
and sometimes he answer me some emails, specially when i wasn't part of this forums and i just send a email to ask things.

quote:
Originally written by Ephesos:

EDIT: The skyrocketing postcount is a bit disconcerting, chicho.
what?

--------------------
Death to my enemies!!
Agent
Member # 1993
Profile #8
Weird.
This guy Jake attempts to re-invent the wheel. Why should somebody play avernum with dice when there are computers?

I sent him an email with the link to this page. It is to hope he'll recognize the senselessness of his doing before it's too late ^_^

edit
to chicho: :) Ephesos made a compliment.

[ Sunday, October 02, 2005 09:29: Message edited by: spy.there ]

--------------------
^ö^ I was a cannibal for twenty-five years. For the rest I have been a vegetarian. George Bernard Shaw
Infiltrator
Member # 6136
Profile #9
quote:
Originally written by spy.there:

Weird.
This guy Jake attempts to re-invent the wheel. Why should somebody play avernum with dice when there are computers?

I sent him an email with the link to this page. It is to hope he'll recognize the senselessness of his doing before it's too late ^_^

i hope he listen now not like when i send the link...

--------------------
Death to my enemies!!
Infiltrator
Member # 5576
Profile Homepage #10
I don't know if this is original, or if it was added in the last couple of hours, but the site says:

quote:
A few of you may know the Avernum trilogy of computer games from Spiderweb Software. The Avernum of this campaign is not the Avernum of those games. If a character from one of the worlds were to be suddenly transported to the other, he might get a strong sense of deja-vu, but he'd still be at a loss as to what the hell was going on. So if you're not familiar with the computer games, don't worry; you won't feel left out. Actually, you'll probably be better off, not having to wonder when I'll get around to throwing the stupid giant talking spiders at you.

--------------------
Überraschung des Dosenöffners!
Warrior
Member # 5966
Profile Homepage #11
I find this slightly, er, odd. There are just too many similarities. Something is rotten in the sate of mind......
But anyway, this is slightly interesting. A D&D remake of Avernum, with almost all of the same races, names of places and stuff. It truly is out of the ordinary.... More investigating seems like a good idea.

-- Diarog Lethuta (Pardon me, I forgot to sign my name)

[ Sunday, October 02, 2005 11:13: Message edited by: Diarog Lethuta ]

--------------------
Ever since I met you so very long ago,
There's been something I've badly needed to know,
Do you love me and want to end my pain?
Or do I pursue your love in vain?

"And your not a doctor, but you play one in real life" -Jerry Seinfield

"My power extends far beyond space and time, do not dare oppose me, for my wrath is something to be greatly feared" -Diarog Lethuta: The Tome of Diarog Lethuta, Egypt, 5000 B.C.
Apprentice
Member # 6364
Profile #12
Jake Manley here.

An explanation.

I'm a student at Williams College and an avid gamer. I love D&D, and I love Avernum. My friends feel the same. So we decided to combine the two.

I never intended for this to be seen outside my circle of gaming buddies, much less outside the college community. Hell, I didn't know it could be. (It's a Williams Students Online page, which generally can only be seen by people connected to the campus network).

I take no credit for Jeff Vogel's world; the connections and inspiration were obvious to my friends and, again, I had no idea other people would be able to view it, much less find it. Changes to the setting were made simply because most of the other gamers had played through the whole Avernum/Exile trilogy, and there had to be some surprises after all.

I can take the site down if copyright infringement is a concern. I don't know if Jeff Vogel knows about the site because, until I was emailed today, I didn't know anyone knew about the site, but he hasn't contacted me.

So that's What The Hell, in a nutshell.
Warrior
Member # 5966
Profile Homepage #13
Ahh.... Thank you for the explanation, Jake. A few of us were wondering what was going on, but the explanation clears it up.

-- Diarog Lethuta

--------------------
Ever since I met you so very long ago,
There's been something I've badly needed to know,
Do you love me and want to end my pain?
Or do I pursue your love in vain?

"And your not a doctor, but you play one in real life" -Jerry Seinfield

"My power extends far beyond space and time, do not dare oppose me, for my wrath is something to be greatly feared" -Diarog Lethuta: The Tome of Diarog Lethuta, Egypt, 5000 B.C.
Warrior
Member # 6347
Profile #14
Indeed, a fair explanation, Jake.

It was quite a surprise seeing that site, though!

I don't know if Jeff would have a problem with it, given the context, but considering anybody can theoretically see your page, I'd suggest e-mailing Jeff and/or putting a disclaimer on your page, stating what you just told us.

Btw, I loved this line... ;)

quote:
"...mostly to get rid of the sacred cows that have needed butchering since the days of Gynax's LSD-induced insanity."

--------------------
"Take time to listen to what is said without words, to obey the law too subtle to be written, to worship the unnameable and to embrace the unformed." -- Lao Tzu
Shaper
Member # 5437
Profile #15
In the least it would be a good idea to post a link at the bottom of the homepage to Spiderweb, and mention that a portion of the content came from the original game.

--------------------
Nena
Posts: 2032 | Registered: Wednesday, January 26 2005 08:00
Infiltrator
Member # 6136
Profile #16
well,jake you seem to be very scared,it seems that you loged here just for post the explanation.
well, i was the one that found it, i dont remember how,it was some months ago.
well,if you dont wanted anyone to know about your game you should be more careful,anyway is a weir page cause is just a game but there is no any download server or information about the game will be releasedor it even really exist.
at leats jeff answered to the forumers...

--------------------
Death to my enemies!!
Infiltrator
Member # 6136
Profile #17
quote:
Originally written by spy.there:

edit
to chicho: :) Ephesos made a compliment.

oh then thanks to Ephesos :D

--------------------
Death to my enemies!!
Warrior
Member # 6347
Profile #18
Well, I don't think he's scared.

I mean, if I was in his position, and someone had emailed me, letting me know that my page has been "found", I'd probably come here and post as well.

He just did "the right thing". Or part of it, anyways. The other part would be e-mailing Jeff, and putting something on his site about Spiderweb.

Considering the intended purpose of his page is for personal use (between him and his friends), I doubt there's a huge copyright problem here. As long as proper credit is attributed.

How did you find his page, Chicho? If he didn't -try- to make his page come up in search engine, his surprise is understandable. Sometimes what you think nobody will see ends up being found.

As for his game, it's not a video game, so it's not "coming out".

It's a campaign setting (or storyline, if you will) for a tabletop RPG he's playing with his friends. Meaning, it's played with dice, pen and paper.

--------------------
"Take time to listen to what is said without words, to obey the law too subtle to be written, to worship the unnameable and to embrace the unformed." -- Lao Tzu
Infiltrator
Member # 6136
Profile #19
oh,that explains everithing..

--------------------
Death to my enemies!!
Infiltrator
Member # 6136
Profile #20
well,that explains everything

--------------------
Death to my enemies!!
Skip to My Lou
Member # 40
Profile Homepage #21
chico! Double posting is bad! Boo!

--------------------
Take the Personality Test! INTJ 100% 75% 100% 44%
Huzzah for the Masterminds!
www.Keirsey.com for personality information.
The Sloganizer! "Swing your Archmage Alex."
Deep down, you wish you were a stick figure.
Infiltrator
Member # 6136
Profile #22
oh sorry, i press the "back" button and...
damn!!!! :o

--------------------
Death to my enemies!!
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #23
Just for the record, this site has been found and pointed out before. Also just for the record, since there is no commercial element to the site, it's more of a fan adaptation than an evil copyright infringement.

—Alorael, who isn't sure that the same can be said of the other products included. Lifting and reprinting rules straight from other games is usually considered bad.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #24
Aside from the copyright issues, the way Valorim's geography has been twisted around (and made the hub of the Empire), and Avernum lying in a different universe are probably very problematic concepts - given that the page ranks pretty high, someone is bound to become very confused. :P

--------------------
The Encyclopaedia Ermariana <-- Now a Wiki!
"Polaris leers down from the black vault, winking hideously like an insane watching eye which strives to convey some strange message, yet recalls nothing save that it once had a message to convey." --- HP Lovecraft.
"Really, Spiderweb is just a big, steaming pool of estrogen." --- Robin

Pages