Ok, help me start out...

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Ok, help me start out...
Warrior
Member # 6322
Profile #0
I've finally decided to give one of these rpgs a shot... I'll give you my rpg background...

I've played D&D and Werewolf PNP... I loved Fallout 1,2, Planescape, Gothic, and KOTOR...

I'm trying to decide which spiderweb game to start with... I was leaning toward Geneforge 3 because of the new interface that I read makes things easier... Would this be the logical place ot start and if I like the game I should then go Geneforge 1-3? Or should I go back to Avernum? Which game do you guys think would be the best to start and easiest to start with? I also would like a thorough instruction manual if possible explaining the classes and how to play...
Shock Trooper
Member # 5585
Profile #1
I'd start with Avernum. Although the graphics in Geneforge are more advanced, most people here agree that Avernum is a better game overall. (A good majority even prefer Exile, although it is a lot less advanced than the other games.) The engine in Avernum is actually better in my opinion, since the point and click movement style in Geneforge is seen by many to be awkward and ill-suited for the game. Avernum 1 is kind of difficult to start out with, so you might try Blades of Avernum first to get used to the strategy and gameplay. As for an instruction manuel, the ones built into the games work best. Classes are pretty self-explanitory.

--------------------
Important Information about Stuff
Warrior
Member # 6322
Profile #2
Also, it is important to me to be able to play in windowed mode.. would this be a problem for any of the games?

[ Monday, September 19, 2005 18:03: Message edited by: shadow9d9 ]
Guardian
Member # 2238
Profile Homepage #3
If you liked DnD, I'd suggest BOX (Exile or Avernum).

Otherwise, I'd start with Avernum. They aren't too long, so you can finish them and move to Geneforge within reason.

--------------------
The critics agree!

Demonslayer is "a five star hit!" raves TIMES Weekly!

"I've never heard such thoughtful comments. This man is a genious!" says two-time Nobel Prize winning physicist Erwin Rasputin!
Posts: 1582 | Registered: Wednesday, November 13 2002 08:00
Shaper
Member # 5437
Profile #4
BoE is the best game, IMO, and will give you the most for your money. If not BoE then BoA, Avernum 2, or Geneforge 1.

[ Monday, September 19, 2005 18:05: Message edited by: Sunset ]

--------------------
Nena
Posts: 2032 | Registered: Wednesday, January 26 2005 08:00
Warrior
Member # 6322
Profile #5
Ok, if I start with Avernum, is it a problem to get the game to play in a window so I could do work in the background, switching between the 2? Does Avernum have a manual beside the in game tutroail(for classes/skills and controls? Is it relatively easy to learn?

My first computer rpg was Fallout pretty much so I am not too sure hwat to expect... It seems like I should download Avernum tommorow... though I must finish Gothic 2 first : ).

The 2 blade games seem to be similar to Neverwinter NIghts(bioware version) in terms of modules...is that correct?

Also, suggesting Avernum 2 to me.. shouldn't I play 1 first? Any reason to start with 2?

Which game is most new user friendly of all?

[ Monday, September 19, 2005 18:09: Message edited by: shadow9d9 ]
Shock Trooper
Member # 3368
Profile #6
Classes have very little emphasis in Avernum. In fact, the only reason they are there is for new players who don't know what to put the skill points into at the beginning. Different classes get no unique attributes, so you can completely customize your characters. You put your skill points into whatever you like. Some variation of the premade party is usually best for newcomers to the Avernum series.

(EDIT: If you have played one or two RPGs then they are all very user friendly, altough I'd recommend A1 first, just so you can enjoy the story as much as possible)

[ Monday, September 19, 2005 18:19: Message edited by: Bender Bending Rodriguez ]

--------------------
"Like most of life's problems, this one can be solved with bending"
Warrior
Member # 6322
Profile #7
It will be obvious exactly what each skill does? Like, what exactly does intelligence give you... and each individual skill.. and how armor affects casting or stealth.. is it all explained?

No one has answered this part btw: Is it a problem to play in windowed mode?

[ Monday, September 19, 2005 18:23: Message edited by: shadow9d9 ]
Lifecrafter
Member # 3171
Profile Homepage #8
I'd say go for Avernum 2. I found it more addictive than the others and it's a little better than A1 and a lot better than A2. But then again that's just my opinion and there are going to be a lot of personal opinions on this thread. Why don't you just download a bunch of the demos and try them out for yourself and see what tickles your fancy?
Shock Trooper
Member # 3368
Profile #9
There is a short description of each skill that pretty much sums up what they do.

[ Monday, September 19, 2005 18:29: Message edited by: Bender Bending Rodriguez ]

--------------------
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #10
None of the games can be played in windowed mode that I know of, but you can easily switch out on a Mac. I don't know about PCs.

All the games include a manual in an electronic format with the game, but you don't really need to read it to understand most skills and spells.

—Alorael, who prefers Avernum to Exile and Geneforge and recommends starting with A1 because the trilogy makes slightly more sense in order. Download a whole bunch of demos and find your own preferences, though!
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Warrior
Member # 6322
Profile #11
Aye, downloaded Avernum 1 and wasn't exactly able to play in windowed mode, but it allowed me to switch tasks which is fine... I need that so I could work while playing(alternating). Is there a bundle package, like all 3 Avernum for a lower price?
Shock Trooper
Member # 3368
Profile #12
-BBR, who assumed that you can play in windowed mode somehow, and now feels rather stupid.

*deletes evidence of ignorance*

--------------------
Warrior
Member # 6322
Profile #13
It might be possible, I'd have to look into it.. sometimes you could add a line to the .exe file, but no biggie to me... btw, I found you could order the avernum trilogy in cd form for $55... do they offer all 3 to download for $55? If so, where?
Shock Trooper
Member # 3368
Profile #14
I'm fairly sure that if you can't buy it at the official site, then you can't buy it (I'll add fairly sure now to sound like less of an idiot if I'm wrong).

--------------------
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #15
Some SW games can be played in a window, at least on a Mac (not sure whether or not there's an equivalent option for Windows; there may be). In BoA, you can disable the "Blades of Avernum takes up full screen" preference option to make it run in a window. I imagine there's a similar option for the series Avernums, although I don't have a copy of any of them immediately available.

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #16
While you can't play it in Window mode, it is definitely possible to run it in the background (in Windows, that is, perhaps not on Mac). I've done it myself, and had Word or something else on at the same time. Since it's turnbased, you can leave it running at any time. If you were asking about switching it to the background at very short notice (in my experience that's frequently an issue when doing work at the same time as playing games...) that, too, is easy with Alt-Tab. ;)

Edit: I'm sure I remember you can play Avernum 3 in a window, but I don't know about the others.

[ Monday, September 19, 2005 20:39: Message edited by: Arancaytar ]

--------------------
The Encyclopaedia Ermariana <-- Now a Wiki!
"Polaris leers down from the black vault, winking hideously like an insane watching eye which strives to convey some strange message, yet recalls nothing save that it once had a message to convey." --- HP Lovecraft.
"I single Aran out due to his nasty temperment, and his superior intellect." --- SupaNik
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #17
Well, on a Mac, you can just press Command-H to instantly hide the application. This works on every Mac OS X native SW game (i.e. all the recent ones), although Geneforge 3 sometimes takes a couple of Cmd-H presses before it notices.

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #18
Which reminds me that there is a program that adds similar capacity (Window hiding, without it entering the taskbar) to Windows XP, but I can't remember what it was called. It's Freeware, anyway.

--------------------
The Encyclopaedia Ermariana <-- Now a Wiki!
"Polaris leers down from the black vault, winking hideously like an insane watching eye which strives to convey some strange message, yet recalls nothing save that it once had a message to convey." --- HP Lovecraft.
"I single Aran out due to his nasty temperment, and his superior intellect." --- SupaNik
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #19
In A2 there is a checkbox in preferences for full-screen mode. Unchecked, it leaves about a 1.5" border around the A2 "window." This makes it simple to switch back to another app quickly. Also, any blinking taskbar items are easy to notice.

Edit: A1 also has this option. I would assume it carried to A3.

*this message sponsored by planet express*

[ Monday, September 19, 2005 21:50: Message edited by: Jumpin' Salmon ]
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #20
The Exile and Avernums can all be played in windowed mode. You can Command-Tab out of every spidweb game.

You can buy the Avernum and Exile trilogies all together for huge discounts.

Personally, I'd recommend starting with one of the Exiles first.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
desperance.net - We're Everywhere
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Nuke and Pave
Member # 24
Profile Homepage #21
I would also recommend trying Exile. Some people like it more than Avernum. (The storylines are exactly same. The only differences are in graphics and engine.)

--------------------
Be careful with a word, as you would with a sword,
For it too has the power to kill.
However well placed word, unlike a well placed sword,
Can also have the power to heal.
Infiltrator
Member # 4256
Profile #22
I would strongly recommend going with Exile first, and then if you really enjoyed it enough to want to try Avernum, do that second. GF is entirely unrelated, and I believe the consensus would rank it lower as a series then the others. Also, BoE still has far more scenarios then BoA, but if you were to get Avernum 1-3 for the 'better engine', and then go to BoE you might be hampered by the change in interface.

Edit: A simple google for the windows program hider comes up with this: Magic Window Hider

[ Tuesday, September 20, 2005 09:03: Message edited by: AxB ]
Warrior
Member # 6322
Profile #23
Hasn't Avernum had new items and other things upgraded as well as graphics? If just the graphics were changed, what makes Exile better? Remember, it will be an adjustment for me to go this far back graphicswise as well as some gameplaywise... When I lookedu p a comparison of the 2 series, i found this opinion..

"As a player of both series, I would say the Avernum series is a little bit more forgiving and easier to play. The Exile dungeons are several times larger than the Avernum dungeons, and you can easily end up fighting very large hordes. Althought it gives you the option of 6 characters instead of 4, the Avernum battles are far, far easier. It is also much easier to come across money in Avernum, as each monster has some default loot + extra random loot, whereas, from what I can tell, Exile monster loot is all random.

Exile is definately for the hardcore, since it is missing a lot of helpful features in Avernum (like keeping track of what you know and quests). In Exile, dialogs will pop up when asking for a password. Granted, you can "cheat" by looking it up, but if you don't remember it, you'll have to go back to check."

If this is the case, I think the quest loggings, and less difficult nature of Avernum might be better for a newbie like me.. no?

I also found:
"For those of you who played Exile and enjoyed it, stop reading and order the game now; they've not only completely rewritten the game engine, but also have doubled the dialogue and added many new encounters and quests, so you're not just playing the same old game."

[ Tuesday, September 20, 2005 09:27: Message edited by: shadow9d9 ]
Nuke and Pave
Member # 24
Profile Homepage #24
The main changes between Exile and Avernum were the engine (how skills and spells work) and graphics. I personally prefer Exile's graphics, but like some aspects of Avernum's engine better. The engine differencies:

Exile has much larger variety of spells and spell types. Many of them are useless, but some are missed by Avernum players.

Avernum has more advanced skill system with secondary skills that depend on primary skills and tetriary stats that depend on primary and secondary skills, as well as some special skills. However, the skills themselves are very similar in both name and functionality to their Exile counterparts.

[ Tuesday, September 20, 2005 09:31: Message edited by: Zeviz ]

--------------------
Be careful with a word, as you would with a sword,
For it too has the power to kill.
However well placed word, unlike a well placed sword,
Can also have the power to heal.

Pages