Seriously... v2.0

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Seriously... v2.0
Fire! Fire! Fire! Fire!
Member # 919
Profile #0
I'm sure most of you have read about the man who watched TV for 70 hours "straight". As an infrequent viewer of television in general, I'm not really impressed. What gets me, though, is the last part of that:
quote:
He does it, he says, to raise awareness of suffering children.
Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't there better things one can do for children with 70 hours of one's life? Like, instead of sitting on a couch in the spotlight, becoming famous for the sake of "suffering children", couldn't he have volunteered at a local children's hospital, or, I don't know, raised money instead of awareness? I mean, if I were dying of an incurable disease, for instance, I wouldn't complain about getting awareness, but I'd trade it for research money without a second thought. Awareness of suffering children? Christ, why didn't I think of that? All I'd have to do is go out on a street corner and yell "Somewhere in the world, children are suffering! Please help them to make up for my utter lack of doing so!"

Compare the number of people who have heard of this new record to the number of people who will take it to heart and, indeed, suddenly become aware of suffering children and act to help them. Honestly, how many people are going to see that and think anything more than 'Oh, that's nice of him, the poor things'? The man is either a fool or an attention whore. He'll help himself far more than he'll help children. The fact that he's so widely known and respected for this boggles my mind.

Jeffrey Rowland agrees, by the way.

--------------------
And though the musicians would die, the music would live on in the imaginations of all who heard it.
-The Last Pendragon

Polaris = joy.

In case of emergency, break glass.
Infiltrator
Member # 2940
Profile Homepage #1
An attention whore.

--------------------
"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work, I want to achieve it through not dying."
Guardian
Member # 2339
Profile #2
WOW! That guy watching TV for 70 hours straight really inspired me about helping suffering children!
Once I have a few free days, I'll watch TV for even longer to raise awareness of suffering children enven MORE!

Really, anyone who didn't know children could suffer really shouldn't help. They should do things like watch TV for 70 hours instead.

I agree, he's an attention whore. He should've not watched TV for 70 hours and then donate the money he saved to a children's hospital or anything similiar to that.

--------------------
*Blue screen error*
NONEXISTANT WINDOWS ERROR
Windows detects no current errors, so Windows has decided
to screw around with the files until one occurs.

If you never rise against your oppressor, then you've already lost.
-Zephyr Tempest, your personal entertainer
Infiltrator
Member # 5991
Profile Homepage #3
couldnt he have just spent those 70 hours helping hurricane katrina victims?

--------------------
Visit the RIFQ Forums
Shock Trooper
Member # 3368
Profile #4
I bet he raised awareness about Hurricane Katrina by watching news about it for 70 hours.

--------------------
"Like most of life's problems, this one can be solved with bending"
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #5
Eh, is there supposed to be a difference between 70 hours straight and 70 hours off and on over a week?

Anyway, I don't watch TV near as much as I'm on the computer. Computers are much more interactive and do lots more cool stuff.

[ Sunday, September 18, 2005 14:01: Message edited by: WST ben ]

--------------------
-ben4808

For those who love to spam:
CSM Forums
RIFQ
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #6
I don't think that anyone here will disagree.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
desperance.net - We're Everywhere
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Shaper
Member # 247
Profile Homepage #7
I watch TV every day for 80 hours. Beat that. ;)

--------------------
I stop rubber at 160km/h, five times a week.
CANUCKS
RESPEK!
My Style
The Knight Between Posts.
Fire! Fire! Fire! Fire!
Member # 919
Profile #8
quote:
Originally written by Bender Bending Rodriguez:

I bet he raised awareness about Hurricane Katrina by watching news about it for 70 hours.
His own awareness, yes, I'll grant you that.

Honestly, I think I'd get extremely depressed watching TV (ABC exclusively, I believe) for that long. Even working with children whose futures are measured in months would be more cheering.

--------------------
And though the musicians would die, the music would live on in the imaginations of all who heard it.
-The Last Pendragon

Polaris = joy.

In case of emergency, break glass.
Shaper
Member # 3442
Profile Homepage #9
quote:
Originally written by Drakefyre:

I don't think that anyone here will disagree.
If one is using a Windows operating system that insists that you don't really want to send that email and decides to close the window, they'd disagree.

If one is using a Windows operating system that asks you *ever* so helpfully if you're writing a letter, when it's obvious that you're actually trying to shut the whole thing off, they'd disagree.

And finally, if one is using a Windows operating system that decides your BRAND NEW COPY of Football Manager is, in fact illegal, and which is more, sends a report to Microsoft stating this fact, despite the fact that you just removed the stinking CD case from the Curry's bag on your bed, they'd disagree.

I, however, am completely with you Drakey. :P

--------------------
Everybody knows, but nobody understands.

Thus endeth this post.
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #10
Eh, Windows isn't that bad. It has its quirks, but also its features.

--------------------
-ben4808

For those who love to spam:
CSM Forums
RIFQ
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #11
What? Your brand new copy of Football Manager ruined? How could they! I wouldn't be able to sleep at night. I've spent countless hours hunched over playing CM 03/04.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
desperance.net - We're Everywhere
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Shaper
Member # 3442
Profile Homepage #12
quote:
Originally written by WST ben:

Eh, Windows isn't that bad. It has its quirks, but also its features.
My copy is. It just keeps messing up left right and centre! And those three "issues" are only the tip of it. It has now decided that my CD drive is, in fact, a removeable hard drive, and i have to turn the whole system off to change disks!

It is so going back to the shop!

quote:
Drakefyre:
What? Your brand new copy of Football Manager ruined? How could they! I wouldn't be able to sleep at night. I've spent countless hours hunched over playing CM 03/04.
Well, not ruined. Just won't work in my machine. Luckily, I managed to steal my mother's for the evening yesterday, so I was lucky. The disk itself is fine. I just don't see the point in starting a game now, since I'll be restarting when my piece of junk finally works as intended.

If it ever does. Those shiny Macs at school are looking more and more desirable!

[ Tuesday, September 20, 2005 06:52: Message edited by: SupaNik ]

--------------------
Everybody knows, but nobody understands.

Thus endeth this post.
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #13
You have Macs at school! I wish we had...

I myself am I Macfanatic, but also have a PC. The computer itself does what I want, so I don't have any problems, but my friend (yes, Imean no chicken for sale here), who can speak about many computer problems. Today he tolled me that his computer just crashed. It also tends to occasionally clean a part of the hardrive, making everything useless, cause it transformes the files into ubreadable crap.

I'm glad I mostlu use Mac :)

Now don't get me wrong, my Imac can also drive me really crazy, but still less then my PC :)

--------------------
Thralni's almighty Avernum pages: My webpage, containing scenario's and graphics made by me (And maybe someday the homepage of the almighty chicken gods).

Click here for more information on Olga's fortune teller kiosk

Olga's fortune teller kiosk has been temporarily closed down, but you can contact the prophet with a PM - Was signed by the prophet of the almighty chicken gods, gods of everything that is a chicken.
Infiltrator
Member # 4256
Profile #14
Coming from a guy that has used PC's his entire life, I find the interface of Macs to be frustrating, the compatibility limited, and the things that it is good for, can be duplicated on other systems, (though not always windows).

Of course on compatibility I guess I can't boast since I was one of the people with the Exile not being 'compatible' with WinXP.

Back on topic though, I think that making this thread a thousand posts long would raise the awareness of sunburned cave fish, and all their multiple problems. He wasn't watching suffering children, and I don't really see how its connected to children at all. I doubt that anyone watching him watch TV would really take any action as a result of his statement. Give praise to the attention whore.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #15
quote:
Originally written by AxB:

Coming from a guy that has used PC's his entire life, I find the interface of Macs to be frustrating, the compatibility limited, and the things that it is good for, can be duplicated on other systems, (though not always windows).
The interface frustrations are a matter of familiarty. As a Mac user I find Windows frustrating, counterintuitive, and glitchy. Everything I need to do can be done on a Mac, and usually better. The major exception is games, many of which are released only for PC.

Basically, Mac or Windows (or Linux) is a matter of choice.

—Alorael, who will thank everyone for not jumping on the bandwagon and starting a Mac. vs. PC argument.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Guardian
Member # 2339
Profile #16
quote:
Originally written by SupaNik:

It has now decided that my CD drive is, in fact, a removeable hard drive, and i have to turn the whole system off to change disks!

It is so going back to the shop!

At least your computer can play CDs. My CD-Rom is dead. And soon my hard-drive will be as well.

[ Tuesday, September 20, 2005 14:17: Message edited by: Zephyr Tempest ]

--------------------
*Blue screen error*
NONEXISTANT WINDOWS ERROR
Windows detects no current errors, so Windows has decided
to screw around with the files until one occurs.

If you never rise against your oppressor, then you've already lost.
-Zephyr Tempest, your personal entertainer
Lifecrafter
Member # 3171
Profile Homepage #17
Yea, my cd-writer died a few weeks back so I just gave up and bought a brand spanking new dvd-writer. Now I'm completely broke and, as a result of being broke, completely sober.