Is it because i'm old

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Is it because i'm old
Apprentice
Member # 6020
Profile #0
Hi
i hate to admit it but i'm in my 50's and still love games..i started on the super nintendo about 10 years ago...sometimes i go to the gamespot forums and and check out the pc game discussions..the thing is i'd guess at least 90% of the discussiond revolve around first person shooters.....I played the original doom some and tried the demos of far cry and Halo 2 but i just can't get into them...maybe it's just old age.i like more thinking than reflexes which is why i don't get into fast paced RTS games either..oh to be young again i guess..

Tom

Tom
Agent
Member # 4506
Profile Homepage #1
quote:
Originally written by Fenwik:

Hi
i hate to admit it but i'm in my 50's and still love games..i started on the super nintendo about 10 years ago...sometimes i go to the gamespot forums and and check out the pc game discussions..the thing is i'd guess at least 90% of the discussiond revolve around first person shooters.....I played the original doom some and tried the demos of far cry and Halo 2 but i just can't get into them...maybe it's just old age.i like more thinking than reflexes which is why i don't get into fast paced RTS games either..oh to be young again i guess..

Tom

Tom

You're just not in the right frame of mind. Try playing some music which fits with the game theme while playing. If that doesn't work, try setting yourself a target, and if you get it, you reward yourself. EG. 50% accuracy = piece of chocolate.

Hope you get back into the swing of things.

- Archmagus Micael

--------------------
"You dare Trifle with Exile?" - Erika the Archmage
--------------------
My Scenarios:
Undead Valley : A small Undead problem, what could possibly go wrong?
--------------------
Proof of Richard Black's existance:
Richard Black - PROOF of his existance (the Infernal one's website).
Apprentice
Member # 6020
Profile #2
Well

i haven't tried doom3 yet

lol

[ Thursday, September 01, 2005 12:16: Message edited by: Fenwik ]
Fire! Fire! Fire! Fire!
Member # 919
Profile #3
Welcome to Spiderweb, Fenwik. Leave what's left of your sanity at the door.

Ignore your karma, by the way. I'll never understand what people find so amusing about that, but there you have it.

Micael, you don't have to quote an entire post to respond to one part of it, especially if your post only makes sense in response to the post above it.

--------------------
And though the musicians would die, the music would live on in the imaginations of all who heard it.
-The Last Pendragon

Polaris = joy.

In case of emergency, break glass.
Infiltrator
Member # 4637
Profile Homepage #4
Different people have different tastes. Sure young people have better reflexes, but I don't believe someone less younger will be worse at FPS just because of that.

Anyway, although I like certain FPS (Call of Duty, Alien vs Predator, for example ), I don't like other FPS (Doom 3, Halo 1 and 2, for example). So maybe you just didn't pick a FPS that suits your taste.

I have good reflexes, but I like more RPGs, turn based strategy/tactical games, etc.

Usually, those pc gaming forum enthusiasts are young teenagers, that only want action and don't apreciate more reflexive games (they get bored and loose concentration fast). :D Lol, I know I'm making an awful generalization. :P

--------------------
Visit the Blades of Avernum Center
and the Beta Testing Center

--------------
"Beware lest anyone cheat you through philosophy and empty deceit, according to the tradition of men, according to the basic principles of the world, and not according to Christ." Colossians 2:6-9
Veteran*
Member # 5
Profile #5
Yes, it's because you're old.
Shock Trooper
Member # 6102
Profile #6
quote:

Hi
I hate to admit it butIi'm in my 50's and still love games. I started on the super nintendo about 10 years ago...

There's nothing wrong about playing video games at any age, young or old. My dad plays on the XBOX (usually Madden 2006) during the weekends and he's in his mid 50s.

I say, if video games make your day, then by all means, play on!

--------------------
"Truly, if there is evil in this world, it lies in the heart of mankind." -Edward D. Morrison
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #7
Alorael is supposedly 56, and he still plays games and posts here a lot. There's nothing keeping you from doing what you want even if it's video games and message boards in your fifties. That's if you don't mind the likes of us teenagers. :P

--------------------
-ben4808

For those who love to spam:
CSM Forums
RIFQ
Shock Trooper
Member # 3377
Profile #8
FPS's don't suit everybody, regardless of age. Pointless violence never turned me on -- I want the story behind it. :P
Infiltrator
Member # 3040
Profile #9
quote:

Well

i haven't tried doom3 yet

lol

Somehow I get this feeling that Fenwik is no older than 13. Call it a compliment, I guess?

I guess my image of 50-year-olds just doesn't mix well with AOL-speak. I mean, video games I can understand, but it doesn't seem likely to me that they would have picked up on the internet slang.

--------------------
Lifecrafter
Member # 1468
Profile Homepage #10
quote:
Tom

Tom
And why would he put his name in twice? I'm gonna have to go with Arsenic on this one.

--------------------
"We can learn a lot from crayons. Some are short, some are dull, some are sharp, some are tall. Some have funny names and they are all different colors, but they all learn to live in the same box."

"Happy is the man that has wisdom and gets discernment. For having wisdom as gain is better than having silver as gain and having wisdom as produce is better than gold itself" Proverbs 3:14-3:15

The horrible part about life is, you'll never get out of it alive.

Currently boycotting: AngelFire, GameFAQ's
Everybody should go to this site at least once.
E Equals MC What!!!!
Member # 5491
Profile Homepage #11
I think he's just trying to be "hip" and "with it" like the young kids. :P

--------------------
Sex is easier than love.
Guardian
Member # 2238
Profile Homepage #12
FPSes are for those with 1337-skillz and ub3r-h4x. You're either born with it, or you're not.

And playing games at 50 isn't weird. In fact, the average gamer is well over 21 years old.

--------------------
The critics agree!

Demonslayer is "a five star hit!" raves TIMES Weekly!

"I've never heard such thoughtful comments. This man is a genious!" says two-time Nobel Prize winning physicist Erwin Rasputin!
Posts: 1582 | Registered: Wednesday, November 13 2002 08:00
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #13
quote:
Originally written by Benny Boy:

Alorael is supposedly 56, and he still plays games and posts here a lot.
Skribbane: Stay Young Forever!

:P

Edit: There is only one person over 50 here whom I believe 100% about their age. I like Empiricism.

[ Thursday, September 01, 2005 19:37: Message edited by: Arancaytar ]

--------------------
The Encyclopaedia Ermariana <-- Now a Wiki!
"Polaris leers down from the black vault, winking hideously like an insane watching eye which strives to convey some strange message, yet recalls nothing save that it once had a message to convey." --- HP Lovecraft.
"Really, Spiderweb is just a big, steaming pool of estrogen." --- Robin
Fire! Fire! Fire! Fire!
Member # 919
Profile #14
Only one, Aran? Assuming you're trustworthy, I'd say there are at least two... I mean, she could just be a really good actress, but...

Prem, I know what you mean. Even the ones with stories, though, don't appeal to me. I may also have something to do with the fact that I have horrific aim, but still...

I agree, wizard, it was my first thought upon reading his opening post.

EDIT: 13 may be a bit young, though. I'd say he's older than that.

[ Thursday, September 01, 2005 20:11: Message edited by: Lady Davida ]

--------------------
And though the musicians would die, the music would live on in the imaginations of all who heard it.
-The Last Pendragon

Polaris = joy.

In case of emergency, break glass.
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #15
I mentioned empiricism. As trustworthy as the other two may be, I only really *know* about one.

Also, older members have the tendency to spend much longer on their posts (that's from experience). Compare with Ents: If it is worth saying, it is worth spending some time to say it. You will find virtually no typos or grammar mistakes, especially not ones made in haste or carelessness.

Although that doesn't work the other way - not everyone who writes carefully is old. I'm not.

[ Thursday, September 01, 2005 21:50: Message edited by: Arancaytar ]

--------------------
"Polaris leers down from the black vault, winking hideously like an insane watching eye which strives to convey some strange message, yet recalls nothing save that it once had a message to convey." --- HP Lovecraft.
Apprentice
Member # 6020
Profile #16
yeah i lied..i'm 59 but i figured 50's sounded a little younger.......i wish i was 13..but i just lost my fiance who was 54 to a brain aneurisim....

13 and i wouldn't have to deal with loss....oh well......it was july 15th after getting back from seeing her in Virginia for the fourth...so i do a lot of internet aimless surfing lately....just trying to find something that is totally immersive for awhile
Shaper
Member # 5450
Profile Homepage #17
Well, 59 makes you still in you fifties, so I don't see why you would lie...

--------------------
Mugglenet--The ULTIMATE Harry Potter Site.
Polaris-- New location.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #18
My father is 62 and he types in all caps with no punctuation. Bad grammar is universal, I'm afraid. :P

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #19
quote:
Originally written by Monkey Glands:

My father is 62 and he types in all caps with no punctuation. Bad grammar is universal, I'm afraid. :P
Accustomed to telegraph, perhaps? ;)

--------------------
Infiltrator
Member # 4637
Profile Homepage #20
quote:

so i do a lot of internet aimless surfing lately....just trying to find something that is totally immersive for awhile
Don't do that.

--------------------

--------------
"Beware lest anyone cheat you through philosophy and empty deceit, according to the tradition of men, according to the basic principles of the world, and not according to Christ." Colossians 2:6-9
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #21
You know, Overwhelming, I think we'd all appreciate it if you were to let the guy grieve in his own way instead of being a self-righteous jerk.

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!
BANNED
Member # 6074
Profile #22
Jerk or not, "To express one's feelings, is to express one's self".

--------------------
---------------------------------
Live long and prosper.
Lifecrafter
Member # 1468
Profile Homepage #23
If you're grieving, whatever you do, don't take it to desperance.net, unless you really enjoy sodomy.

--------------------
"We can learn a lot from crayons. Some are short, some are dull, some are sharp, some are tall. Some have funny names and they are all different colors, but they all learn to live in the same box."

"Happy is the man that has wisdom and gets discernment. For having wisdom as gain is better than having silver as gain and having wisdom as produce is better than gold itself" Proverbs 3:14-3:15

The horrible part about life is, you'll never get out of it alive.

Currently boycotting: AngelFire, GameFAQ's
Everybody should go to this site at least once.
Infiltrator
Member # 4637
Profile Homepage #24
quote:
Originally written by Monkey Glands:

You know, Overwhelming, I think we'd all appreciate it if you were to let the guy grieve in his own way instead of being a self-righteous jerk.
I didn't say he should be a self-righteous jerk. Or if you were calling me a self-righteous jerk, then I must ask you: why should you, a moderator, insult me?

Anyway, you should know that "that way" is not a good way. I was just caring about it. No need of agressive and childish remarks like your's.

--------------------

--------------

Pages