Is it because i'm old

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Is it because i'm old
Apprentice
Member # 6263
Profile #25
To the old dude...we think you are funny[in a good way!].
Shaper
Member # 3442
Profile Homepage #26
quote:
Originally written by Ash Lael:

I think he's just trying to be "hip" and "with it" like the young kids. :P
I never understood what "it" is, being desperately without anything that appeals to most people my age. Still, it's a funny post...

To Smiley66 --- hi! Welcome to Spiderweb, please leave your sanity at the door and come on in!

And regarding moderators insulting people... why not? If something needs to be said (and I'm not saying it did), then anybody should be able to say it.

--------------------
"I am a living sign..."

Thus endeth this post.
Agent
Member # 3364
Profile Homepage #27
Welcome to Fenwik, no matter your age. We just like to see proper grammar and encourage all members to improve.

Also to Smiley66: Welcome to Spiderweb, leave your sanity at the door as was directed to Fenwik earlier.

As long as you don't take things too seriously you should both fit in well.

--------------------
"Even the worst Terror from Hell can be transformed to a testimony from Heaven!" - Rev. David Wood 6\23\05

"Do all the good you can, by all the means you can, in all the ways you can, in all the places you can, at all the times you can, to all the people you can, as long as you ever can." - John Wesley
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #28
quote:
Originally written by Overwhelming:

I didn't say he should be a self-righteous jerk. Or if you were calling me a self-righteous jerk, then I must ask you: why should you, a moderator, insult me?

Anyway, you should know that "that way" is not a good way. I was just caring about it. No need of agressive and childish remarks like your's.

Perhaps my language was stronger than it should have been, but the fact remains that your comment was insensitive. His fiancee just died -- it's incredibly presumptious of you to criticise the way in which he's reacted to that. In future, if you want to suggest to people that there are alternative ways of coping, please be less blunt about it; it would also be nice if you could actually offer helpful advice instead of just telling people what you won't allow them to do.

[ Friday, September 02, 2005 14:28: Message edited by: Monkey Glands ]

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!
Infiltrator
Member # 4637
Profile Homepage #29
I don't understimate people. I think he understood what I mean, without me entering in details. I don't think this is the place to discuss that matter.

Anyway, I didn't forbid him anything. Just gave an advice. Once more, your prejudice/preconceit about me makes you interpret my words in a wrong way.

Try to be a little bit more respectful. You intentionally disrespected me. Being a moderator adds more responsability to your behaviour.

--------------------
Visit the Blades of Avernum Center
and the Beta Testing Center

--------------
"Beware lest anyone cheat you through philosophy and empty deceit, according to the tradition of men, according to the basic principles of the world, and not according to Christ." Colossians 2:6-9
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #30
You're right about this being neither the time nor the place to discuss this, at least. Perhaps we can both agree to measure our words more carefully in future and leave it at that.

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!
Apprentice
Member # 6020
Profile #31
thank for the welcome .i will keep posting..they said in a grief support group that the real grieving will start in about 90 days or so ..i'm going to try and immerse myself in something..
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #32
Whaddaya know, yet another Australian. Hi, I'm ben. Welcome to Spiderweb.

That said, I think everyone should be given the same chance on these forums, 13 or 59. Smiley66 or TM.

--------------------
-ben4808

For those who love to spam:
CSM Forums
RIFQ
Fire! Fire! Fire! Fire!
Member # 919
Profile #33
Fenwik is 59. Overwhelming is in his early 20s, I'd guess. Somehow, I doubt that Overwhelming knows more about dealing with grief than Fenwik. That is all.

--------------------
And though the musicians would die, the music would live on in the imaginations of all who heard it.
-The Last Pendragon

Polaris = joy.

In case of emergency, break glass.
Lifecrafter
Member # 3171
Profile Homepage #34
There seems to be a lot of Aussies on these boards. Why is that?
Shock Trooper
Member # 3377
Profile #35
quote:
Originally written by Kingy:

There seems to be a lot of Aussies on these boards. Why is that?
Part of our conspiracy, is all.
Lifecrafter
Member # 3171
Profile Homepage #36
premonition - I wasn't even aware you were an Aussy. Jeez, thats another one.
Infiltrator
Member # 4637
Profile Homepage #37
quote:
Originally written by Lady Davida:

Fenwik is 59. Overwhelming is in his early 20s, I'd guess. Somehow, I doubt that Overwhelming knows more about dealing with grief than Fenwik. That is all.
I'm 26 and I studied psychology and gerentology (don't know it's called like that in english)as part of my medicine course (here that course takes 6 years in university plus two of internship. Then add more years for specializations and respective internships).

Also I have some (internship) experience, dealing with people with 55+ years old with varied problems, including psychological.

I concede that psichology is not my favored or better area, but I guess your ratiocination isn't accurate. :)

--------------------
Visit the Blades of Avernum Center
and the Beta Testing Center

--------------
"Beware lest anyone cheat you through philosophy and empty deceit, according to the tradition of men, according to the basic principles of the world, and not according to Christ." Colossians 2:6-9
Shock Trooper
Member # 1546
Profile Homepage #38
Does everything have to be turned into a holier-than-thou, more-intelligent-than-thou, more-respectful-than-thou intellectually insinuating debate? (read: childish bickering with big words).

Get over yourselves, or each other, and try to at least focus on the topic, that of the welcoming/acceptance of Fenwik, and aid for whatever grief he brings with him. If you have a point to prove to each other, don't do it in a public place. You won't earn any brownie points with the community, for bickering over something so trivial as who disrespected who with what words, when it is entirely irrelevant to what is really going on. Obviously IQ's dont require common sence and decency.

That being said, I am sorry for your loss, and hope that you can find something to cling to and raise your spirits.

(nb: feel free to criticise my opinion, since, often there isnt much else offered. if it makes you feel better/smarter/bigger, go for it.)

--------------------
A Sucaran Child is standing here.
You say, "hello"
The small child looks at Preserver Aldous wide-eyed and awed.
Agent
Member # 3364
Profile Homepage #39
I like your sig, kuc. ;)

--------------------
"Even the worst Terror from Hell can be transformed to a testimony from Heaven!" - Rev. David Wood 6\23\05

"Do all the good you can, by all the means you can, in all the ways you can, in all the places you can, at all the times you can, to all the people you can, as long as you ever can." - John Wesley
Mongolian Barbeque
Member # 1528
Profile #40
Immediately after my grandfather's death several years ago (I was 17 at the time, and had been caring for him during his last few months) I found myself playing with Legos again, something I hadn't done since I was 14 or so. Not just putting them together and admiring them, mind you—playing with them. Moving the little men around, the pirates going "Arrrgghhh!", making up intensely complicated plots with the spacemen landing in the middle of a castle, etc. etc. I did this for about three or four months.

One afternoon while doing this it's like a part of my mind suddenly went "pop!" I realized what I was doing, that I had "reverted" to an earlier stage as my mind came to grips with the loss in the background. It was then that my grandfather's death suddenly hit me. In the meantime my mind needed that reversion, that simplicity, in order to start coping with the situation. At first I was confused and ashamed of my behavior, but I came to realize that that's what I was doing because that's what I needed to be doing.

So with all due respect I say to Fenwik—many years my senior, and possessing far more life experience than I—that you should cope with this loss as your mind is directing you. When the time comes to deal with it in a more permanent and concious way, it'll come of its own accord. In the meantime, go ahead and distract yourself, because that's what you need right now.

You have my deepest sympathies, sir.

[ Saturday, September 03, 2005 21:34: Message edited by: Icshi ]

--------------------
The A.E. van Vogt Information Site
My Tribute to the Greatest Writer of the Science Fiction Golden Age
La Canaliste
Member # 5563
Profile #41
Hey Fenwik!
*is not over 50... not for .. oh.. months!*

It sounds as though you are dealing with things in a very pragmatic and sensible way.

I've found Avernum very immersive, also Myst and its sequels (thogh they can be frustrating) and currently get eaten by Ultima Online and the roleplaying community on Europa shard. I don't know what the Oceania shard is like, apart from its reputation for being sparsely populated.

Nice to meet you! It really does help to discard your sanity in the bucket provide for the purpose: that's the one, right by the door there...

Enjoy the interesting people, ignore the annoying ones, and don't believe what everybody tells you about themselves!

--------------------
I am a pale shadow of the previous self.
quote:

Deep down, you know you should have voted for Alcritas!
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #42
quote:
Originally written by saunders:

Hey Fenwik!

That means you're 49 and a bit? Except of course...

quote:
don't believe what everybody tells you about themselves!
:P

--------------------
The Encyclopaedia Ermariana <-- Now a Wiki!
"Polaris leers down from the black vault, winking hideously like an insane watching eye which strives to convey some strange message, yet recalls nothing save that it once had a message to convey." --- HP Lovecraft.
"I single Aran out due to his nasty temperament, and his superior intellect." --- SupaNik
Shaper
Member # 3442
Profile Homepage #43
quote:
Originally written by Arancaytar:

quote:
Originally written by saunders:

Hey Fenwik!

That means you're 49 and a bit? Except of course...

quote:
don't believe what everybody tells you about themselves!
:P

But would saunders have deliberately posted that she isn't to be trusted, knowing that smart people would pick up on it? Hmmm. If she can't be trusted, why is she telling us? And if she can, then when she said not to trust anyone she wass lying... showing us that she can't be trusted.

Headache.

[ Sunday, September 04, 2005 08:20: Message edited by: SupaNik ]

--------------------
"I am a living sign..."

Thus endeth this post.
E Equals MC What!!!!
Member # 5491
Profile Homepage #44
Sorry for your loss.

If drowning your sorrows in pixels is what you feel like doing, fine by me. Maybe BoE will be to your liking. It's my favourite by a large margin, and is enough to keep you going for years if that's what you want...

--------------------
Sex is easier than love.
Apprentice
Member # 6020
Profile #45
thanks...lots of good post here.....i really appreciate them.

Fenwik(Tom)
Apprentice
Member # 6275
Profile #46
I wouldn't say that its because of your age; you simply have different gaming needs. For some, the tactical thinking involved in FPS games is enough. Others prefer deeper strategy or problem-solving. You said that you started out with the Super Nintendo, so you'd probably prefer games similar to the ones you played then.
Shock Trooper
Member # 6102
Profile #47
Ah, someone has resurrected a dead topic once again. Nothing wrong with playing older generations of video games. I started out with an Atari 2600 :D .

--------------------
"Truly, if there is evil in this world, it lies in the heart of mankind." -Edward D. Morrison
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #48
quote:
Originally written by Fenwik:

thanks...lots of good post here.....i really appreciate them.

Fenwik(Tom)

Yes, and...

Though I think this is your second posts saying exactly, this, I'm glad you're enjoying our little discussion here.

--------------------
-ben4808

For those who love to spam:
CSM Forums
RIFQ

Pages