Do you like school?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Do you like school?
Shaper
Member # 32
Profile #50
Class size really depends on how many students go to your college. I attend a fairly small college so most of my classes have 20 or fewer. And as you go deeper into your field of study the classes shrink as well. I've had a math class with only four other students.

--------------------
Lt. Sullust
Cogito Ergo Sum
Polaris
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #51
The largest class I've ever been in had several hundred students (it was a second-year microbiology class that was open to both science and medicine students). The smallest regular classes I've been in had about 140 students (they were compulsory core subjects specific to the biomedical science course I'm taking). Last semester, I took a practical class (no lectures, just labs) with about 60 students.

I'm also in one class with only 4 students, but that's actually a research project that I'm getting academic credit for, so it's not quite run the same way as an ordinary subject anyway.

Incidentally, my university has about 34,000 students, all on one campus.

[ Friday, August 26, 2005 14:34: Message edited by: Thuryl ]

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!
Shaper
Member # 5450
Profile Homepage #52
Thuryl: What university is that? It has roughly the same amount of students as my whole city.

--------------------
I'll put a Spring in your step.

Polaris
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #53
The University of Melbourne. Where do you live? On orientation day we were told that Melbourne Uni has about the same population as Shepparton.

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!
Shaper
Member # 5450
Profile Homepage #54
Warrnambool, south-west Victoria. It has a population between 30 000 and 35 000. You said that Melbourne university has a population of roughly 34 000. A quick Google search says Shepparton has a poopulation of 28 000...one of the figures is a bit messed up.

Incidentally, I will be going to Melbourne in early September, for a trip to Queensland.

--------------------

Polaris
Lifecrafter
Member # 1468
Profile Homepage #55
It has roughly 10X the amount of people in my home town.

Man, I'm glad I'm in a technical college. My classes are all like 15-25 people

[ Friday, August 26, 2005 18:09: Message edited by: Eldibs ]

--------------------
"We can learn a lot from crayons. Some are short, some are dull, some are sharp, some are tall. Some have funny names and they are all different colors, but they all learn to live in the same box."

"Happy is the man that has wisdom and gets discernment. For having wisdom as gain is better than having silver as gain and having wisdom as produce is better than gold itself" Proverbs 3:14-3:15

The horrible part about life is, you'll never get out of it alive.

Currently boycotting: AngelFire, GameFAQ's
Everybody should go to this site at least once.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #56
I'd say that a difference of around 20% falls within the range of "about".

[ Friday, August 26, 2005 15:18: Message edited by: Thuryl ]

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!
Guardian
Member # 3521
Profile #57
I am something of an anti-intellectual and am entirely devoid of any ambition or drive towards my studies, but I do thoroughly enjoy the opportunity to get away from home and live the college life.

Also, in case anyone was wondering, I stopped coming around because I hadn't yet been able to get hooked up to the internet at college yet. I haven't left for good. Not yet, at least, although things do look rather dreary around here.

--------------------
Stughalf

"Delusion arises from anger. The mind is bewildered by delusion. Reasoning is destroyed when the mind is bewildered. One falls down when reasoning is destroyed."- The Bhagavad Gita.
Shaper
Member # 5450
Profile Homepage #58
Yes, you are right. I still think that its pretty amazing...but then again, I'm just a simple country boy... :P

--------------------

Polaris
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #59
Our classes currently range in size from 4-30, with about 20 being the most common. Small classes are definately more interactive and accepting of a certain individual's input, and I like that better that sit down, be quiet and take notes with the rest of the class kind of thing.

That, of course, is in individual classes. Usually a graduating class at my school will be a little over 40 or so.

--------------------
-ben4808

For those who love to spam:
CSM Forums
RIFQ
Shock Trooper
Member # 1249
Profile Homepage #60
I like university, except for a few language classes, which were so boring that I (literally) fell asleep. I just have been there so long that I'd like to graduate already, but I have to be here at least a couple of years more.

In Finland it's relatively easy to change one's major (or main subject). It requires in many cases only doing the basic studies of both. I started in Computer Science and I'm ending up in Sociology.

I have attended some classes with about 100 people or more - in sociology and statistics courses, and the minimum has probably been 15 people so far - in creative writing, a minor subject which limits the amount of students with an entrance exam. It has also been the most fun, sort of, but they don't teach it as a major in my university, so I can't graduate in it.

[ Friday, August 26, 2005 16:08: Message edited by: Milu ]
Apprentice
Member # 6253
Profile Homepage #61
i think school sucks its either way to easy or just boring....and question how many people here go to college?

--------------------
I am a shadow that stalks the night, i am the guy who beat you on Diablo II online
BANNED
Member # 6074
Profile #62
Not me, Im going to 8th grade tommorow. :(

--------------------
---------------------------------
Live long and prosper.
Lifecrafter
Member # 1468
Profile Homepage #63
Language classes are the ones I hate the most. I never understood why I would need 4 classes for a language I already speak fluently (English, duh).

I wonder... In Japan, do you think they have to take 4 classes in high school on Japanese?

--------------------
"We can learn a lot from crayons. Some are short, some are dull, some are sharp, some are tall. Some have funny names and they are all different colors, but they all learn to live in the same box."

"Happy is the man that has wisdom and gets discernment. For having wisdom as gain is better than having silver as gain and having wisdom as produce is better than gold itself" Proverbs 3:14-3:15

E Equals MC What!!!!
Member # 5491
Profile Homepage #64
quote:
Originally written by Spring:

Yes, you are right. I still think that its pretty amazing...but then again, I'm just a simple country boy... :P
Warnambool != country.

34,000 students is pretty freaking incredible. The campus must be almost like its own city.

--------------------
Sex is easier than love.
Infiltrator
Member # 3040
Profile #65
quote:
Originally written by DeathsServent:

i think school sucks its either way to easy or just boring....and question how many people here go to college?
Quite a few here are college-age. I myself am starting my freshman year at Carleton College next Wednesday.

--------------------
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #66
quote:
Originally written by Ash Lael:

34,000 students is pretty freaking incredible. The campus must be almost like its own city.
It really is. Union House alone is practically a supermarket and social club rolled into one. There's even a theatre.

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!
Too Sexy for my Title
Member # 5654
Profile #67
quote:
Originally written by Thuryl:

quote:
Originally written by Ash Lael:

It really is. Union House alone is practically a supermarket and social club rolled into one. There's even a theatre.

That's awsome. My school has around 20,000 students so the campus is pretty big; nevertheless it is nothing compare to yours.
By Committee
Member # 4233
Profile #68
quote:
Originally written by Eldibs:

Language classes are the ones I hate the most. I never understood why I would need 4 classes for a language I already speak fluently (English, duh).

I wonder... In Japan, do you think they have to take 4 classes in high school on Japanese?

Probably. It's not the language aspect of those courses that's important so much as the writing component. Writing plays a role in all fields you may pursue, so it's important that you get as much of a sporting chance at becoming good at it as possible!
Lifecrafter
Member # 1468
Profile Homepage #69
How does writing have anything to do with programming? The only thing I could see a programmer writing (on paper) is something in pseudocode or a flow chart. And the only thing that they should be typing is code for programs.
I don't see a welder writing much either.

[ Monday, August 29, 2005 04:17: Message edited by: Eldibs ]

--------------------

...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #70
Maybe a self-employed programmer or one working for fun doesn't need great communication skills. But a programmer working as part of a team needs to be able to summarise and comment on their code so that it can be understood and maintained by others. They may also need to take an active role in the design of software projects. To do all of that, they need to be able to communicate effectively.

And sure, a welder may not need language skills in order to do his job from day to day. But suppose that welder is in a workplace where he believes unsafe working practices are taking place. He talks to his boss about it but can't convince him to change his practices. To take the matter further, he has to fill out a written complaint. Whether he's taken seriously or not will depend on how well he's able to express himself -- and his very life could depend on it.

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!
By Committee
Member # 4233
Profile #71
Yes, but a programmer has to find work, write proposals, write reports on progress to supervisors and clients, and also write a grammatically correct interface in the software he's building.

Also, no matter how much money you may make, your supervisor will always make more, and what gives your supervisor the edge? Communication skills. And what plays a big role in communication? Writing ability. The need to be good at writing is nearly universal. You can be the best programmer in the world, but if you can't communicate effectively, it won't do you much good.
Lifecrafter
Member # 1468
Profile Homepage #72
quote:
Also, no matter how much money you may make, your supervisor will always make more, and what gives your supervisor the edge? Communication skills.
Or it could be butt-kissing ability that got him there, or the fact that he has been on the job longer and got promoted there. Or he could be related to the boss.
quote:
And sure, a welder may not need language skills in order to do his job from day to day. But suppose that welder is in a workplace where he believes unsafe working practices are taking place. He talks to his boss about it but can't convince him to change his practices. To take the matter further, he has to fill out a written complaint. Whether he's taken seriously or not will depend on how well he's able to express himself -- and his very life could depend on it.
I believe they have to go through safety checks every now and then, and I'm pretty sure they have a safety test they have to pass if they learned welding in college.

[ Monday, August 29, 2005 04:40: Message edited by: Eldibs ]

--------------------

...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #73
quote:
Originally written by Eldibs:

quote:
Also, no matter how much money you may make, your supervisor will always make more, and what gives your supervisor the edge? Communication skills.
Or it could be butt-kissing ability that got him there

That's a communication skill. It may not be the kind of communication skill you approve of, but it's still a communication skill. :P

quote:
I believe they have to go through safety checks every now and then, and I'm pretty sure they have a safety test they have to pass if they learned welding in college.
And how do you expect anyone to pass a safety test without a reasonable ability to read and write?

[ Monday, August 29, 2005 04:51: Message edited by: Thuryl ]

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!
Lifecrafter
Member # 1468
Profile Homepage #74
Not an actual pencil and paper test, but them going through basic procedures with their equipment, and the teacher or an assistant watching them and seeing what they do wrong and what they do right. And butt-kissing doesn't always require good communication skills, just being able to agree with the boss on everything they say.
Also, by the time you get to high school, you should already have a reasonable ability to read and write. If you can't read and write to some extent, you should be sent back to elementary school.

[ Monday, August 29, 2005 04:59: Message edited by: Eldibs ]

--------------------

Pages