...And Who's Your Favorite Hero?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: ...And Who's Your Favorite Hero?
Shaper
Member # 32
Profile #25
Seeing as he risked his life fighting a Balrog so that Middle Earth could be saved, I'd say he qualifies.

--------------------
Lt. Sullust
Cogito Ergo Sum
Polaris
Agent
Member # 2210
Profile #26
Lets get back to heroes--
Wong Fei Hung-- Inspired many bad and wonderful chop sockey films.
Musashi-- Inspired various samurai epic films.
Odysseuss (along with Sinbad)-- inspired various Ray Harryhausen films with animated monsters.
Audie Murphy-- had a very bad film made about him.
Sundiata-- no films that I know of, but had a number of childrens fairytale books written about him with an excellent interpretation by Will Eisner-- Sundiata Lion King of Mali one of my favorite "graphic novels" comic books.

--------------------
Wasting your time and mine looking for a good laugh.

Star Bright, Star Light, Oh I Wish I May, I Wish Might, Wish For One Star Tonight.
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #27
Yes, but he's neither a stupid chestbeating, swordwielding hunk nor is he stupid and has angsty personality issues like all usual heroes in fantasy (eg. Belgarion and Harry, respectively).

--------------------
The Encyclopaedia Ermariana <-- Now a Wiki!
"Polaris leers down from the black vault, winking hideously like an insane watching eye which strives to convey some strange message, yet recalls nothing save that it once had a message to convey." --- HP Lovecraft.
"I single Aran out due to his nasty temperament, and his superior intellect." --- SupaNik
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #28
Although not stupid, Gandalf has wielded a sword on various occasions. :P

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!
Guardian
Member # 2238
Profile Homepage #29
My favorite heros, in no particular order:

Achilles, the anger filled hero.
Duke Nukem, all-American hero.
Obi-Wan Kenobi, lightsaber hero.
The Green Lantern, Justice League hero.
Telemachus, at-least-someone-still-has-morals hero.

I'm sure there's more, but it's late (early, rather), and I'm tired.

--------------------
The critics agree!

Demonslayer is "a five star hit!" raves TIMES Weekly!

"I've never heard such thoughtful comments. This man is a genious!" says two-time Nobel Prize winning physicist Erwin Rasputin!
Posts: 1582 | Registered: Wednesday, November 13 2002 08:00
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #30
I tried to come up with inanimate heroes and it didn't really work. There are robots galore, but very few of them are anything more or less than people with machinery instead of organs. There are occasional golems (e.g. Dorfl), but they aren't usually heroes and have the same problems as robots. There are AI computers aplenty in science fiction, but I can't think of very many that are protagonists, much less heroes. Jane in the Ender's Game sequels is a protagonist, but not really a hero (does Ender's Game have heroes besides possibly Ender himself?), and she also has a little bit of added human.

Ghostwheel (Chronicles of Amber) is only arguably a computer, but it's more computer than Jane is. Or fantasy inanimate something, at least. It's also somewhat protagonistic, but not very heroic. Zelazny provides virtual heroes in Donnerjack, but they're not inanimate in their world.

—Alorael, who can't think of anything better. Does anyone have any more ideas of inanimate, preferably non-humanoid heroes? There are almost certainly countless examples from science fiction, but none seem to be coming to mind.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Too Sexy for my Title
Member # 5654
Profile #31
My favorite Heroes are the Mirabal sisters (Minerva,Patria, and Maria Teresa). My mother and my great-grandmother. I have several more, but those are the only ones that come to my mind at the moment.
E Equals MC What!!!!
Member # 5491
Profile Homepage #32
quote:
Originally written by I'll Steal Your Toast:

Audie Murphy-- had a very bad film made about him.
However, starring as himself in an action flick earns him at least a couple of extra coolness points in my book.

[ Monday, August 22, 2005 09:03: Message edited by: Ash Lael ]

--------------------
Sex is easier than love.
By Committee
Member # 4233
Profile #33
Lord Nelson

Pages