Hello

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Hello
Mongolian Barbeque
Member # 1528
Profile #50
Basically, bandwidth is site usage. Every time someone requests a picture (or any other file) to be loaded, the size of that file is added to your current transfer count. So if ten people request a 10 kb file in one hour, that's 100 kb taken off your limit. So each transfer gets you closer to your monthly data transfer limit. Ergo, the bigger the images and/or the greater the number of people who visit your site each month, the better it is for you to have a higher bandwidth limit.

I wouldn't worry too much about it. I have an appreciably bigger website running, and though it's visited quite a lot from SF readers of all shapes and sizes, I'v never once come close to reaching my bandwidth limit.

This is a bit of a clumsy explanation, but I'm in a hurry and probably talking through my hat anyway.

[ Sunday, August 21, 2005 14:57: Message edited by: Icshi ]

--------------------
The A.E. van Vogt Information Site
My Tribute to the Greatest Writer of the Science Fiction Golden Age
Agent
Member # 1993
Profile #51
quote:
Originally written by The Almighty Doer of Stuff:

That scorpion has two too many legs. And if it's a clawbug, it has four too many legs.

:confused: what are you talking? Skorpions - like all spiders - are in possession of eight legs.
It's a cute scorpion, Micawber.

t Error: your artsy Vahnatai too looks cool.

t Alex: Yay! A stick-figure exhibition, marvellous! It was high time to give the fluffy turtles a place to breed ^_^

Welcome to Spiderweb, Destrier! But you are not a male knitter, are you? :P Only curious ...

--------------------
^ö^ vegetarians are sexy.
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #52
*shudders* I don't much like being reminded of all the things that are actually spiders... crabs, scorpions, etc...

--------------------
The Encyclopaedia Ermariana <-- Now a Wiki!
"Polaris leers down from the black vault, winking hideously like an insane watching eye which strives to convey some strange message, yet recalls nothing save that it once had a message to convey." --- HP Lovecraft.
"I single Aran out due to his nasty temperament, and his superior intellect." --- SupaNik
Fire! Fire! Fire! Fire!
Member # 919
Profile #53
He/she seems male...

I like the stick figure viewers, stranger... "So how many times has the world blown up so far?" "I don't know, like, about two?"

--------------------
And though the musicians would die, the music would live on in the imaginations of all who heard it.
-The Last Pendragon

Polaris = joy.

In case of emergency, break glass.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #54
quote:
Originally written by Arancaytar:

*shudders* I don't much like being reminded of all the things that are actually spiders... crabs, scorpions, etc...
Technically, not all arthropods are spiders; they're just somewhat related.

And the trouble with the origami clawbug is that claws count as legs too, giving it a total of 10, which is clearly too many.

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #55
I love the origami Vahnatai. Great!

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
desperance.net - We're Everywhere
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Shock Trooper
Member # 5585
Profile #56
A google image search says that the origami model has the right amount of legs for a scorpion, just look at this image.

Edit: Fixed the link. Also, does anyone want me to try and make something else with origami?

[ Monday, August 22, 2005 04:51: Message edited by: Error ]

--------------------
Important Information about Stuff
Warrior
Member # 6234
Profile #57
quote:
Originally written by Error:

Also, does anyone want me to try and make something else with origami?
Yes, if you can make me an origami chicken, i'll be very very pleased and happy:D

--------------------
There are 400 words in the dictionary that begin with "self" and only 8 that begin with "fellow".

When in doubt. . . mumble.

When you are at school, you wish you where old enough to work.
When you are old enough to work, you wish you were at school.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #58
Well, I'll be jiggered. Seems I stand corrected. I haven't done animal taxonomy in 2 years; guess I'm a little rusty.

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #59
quote:
Originally written by stranger:

Your drawings are very charming, I enjoy them a lot. Bobby's expression is perfect.

They remind me of this flash movie. Beware, it's 30 minutes long.

I have seen this three times in my life. I will always remember this as the most awful thing I have ever wasted 90 minutes of my life on.
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #60
Funny...

i put a link to that same movie on the topic "Windows RG"

--------------------
Thralni's almighty Avernum pages: My webpage, containing scenario's and graphics made by me (And maybe someday the homepage of the almighty chicken gods).

Click here for more information on Olga's fortune teller kiosk

Olga's fortune teller kiosk has been temporarily closed down, but you can contact the prophet with a PM - Was signed by the prophet of the almighty chicken gods, gods of everything that is a chicken.

Work has begun on the Nephilian grammar and vocabulary guide!
Shock Trooper
Member # 5585
Profile #61
Here is the chicken. It is based on Akira Yoshizawa's pidgeon, although most elements of it's design are original.
IMAGE(http://tinypic.com/ay0f9h.jpg)
I would have got it up here sooner, but my digital camera wasn't working very well and it took a while for me to give up and just use my scanner.

--------------------
Shaper
Member # 5437
Profile #62
Clawbugs have four legs and two claws, so scorpions have four more legs than clawbugs.

--------------------
Nena
Posts: 2032 | Registered: Wednesday, January 26 2005 08:00
Agent
Member # 2759
Profile Homepage #63
quote:
Originally written by spy.there:

It's a cute scorpion, Micawber.

:o Oh sorry, that's not my scorpion, I just googled "origami scorpion" in my reply to No Chicken For Sale Here. It was a challenge you see, and I never intended to take the credit. I'm actually more into knitting myself.

--------------------
Everything I know about the Avernum Trilogy: [ A1 | A2 | A3 ]
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #64
Wow, that's amazing, Error! I could never hope to do that good.

Anyway, does anybody know if there's a place I can go to host PHP and MySQL pages ie. put my database online so the page works right even if I'm disconnected from the Internet?

--------------------
-ben4808

For those who love to spam:
CSM Forums
RIFQ
Shaper
Member # 5450
Profile Homepage #65
Error, great origami. Do some more.

Is it just me, or do those Clawbugs in Dolphins link look strangely...lifelike?

--------------------
I'll put a Spring in your step.

Polaris
Shock Trooper
Member # 5585
Profile #66
Dolphin's clawbug pic is art from the loading screen in one of the Geneforge games.

I'm glad that my origami is liked, and I will try to upload more tomorrow. I am still taking requests, as long as you don't ask for anything with an excessive amount of limbs.

--------------------
Shaper
Member # 5437
Profile #67
Yeah, I got it out of GF3 with ResFool. I'm nowhere near being that good an artist.

[ Monday, August 22, 2005 17:20: Message edited by: Zaiu ]

--------------------
Nena
Posts: 2032 | Registered: Wednesday, January 26 2005 08:00
Shaper
Member # 5450
Profile Homepage #68
I knew that they were out of the GF3 loading screens, I should of said that. But they do look lifelike, don't you think?

--------------------
I'll put a Spring in your step.

Polaris
Agent
Member # 3364
Profile Homepage #69
quote:
Originally written by ben4808 [1950 - 2100:
]
Anyway, does anybody know if there's a place I can go to host PHP and MySQL pages ie. put my database online so the page works right even if I'm disconnected from the Internet?
I'm pretty sure that if you want to have a database hosted, you're gonna have to pay for it. The cheapest place I ever saw was godaddy.com.

--------------------
"Even the worst Terror from Hell can be transformed to a testimony from Heaven!" - Rev. David Wood 6\23\05

"Do all the good you can, by all the means you can, in all the ways you can, in all the places you can, at all the times you can, to all the people you can, as long as you ever can." - John Wesley
Shock Trooper
Member # 6102
Profile #70
Speaking of godaddy.com, didn't they air a controversal commercial during last season's Super Bowl, with the woman who "accidentally" had one of her bra straps come loose in the court room with the judge getting some air from the oxygen tank?

I don't even know if anyone even remembers it, since it was aired only once...

--------------------
"Truly, if there is evil in this world, it lies in the heart of mankind." -Edward D. Morrison
Warrior
Member # 6234
Profile #71
quote:
Originally written by Error:

Here is the chicken. It is based on Akira Yoshizawa's pidgeon, although most elements of it's design are original.
IMAGE(http://tinypic.com/ay0f9h.jpg)
I would have got it up here sooner, but my digital camera wasn't working very well and it took a while for me to give up and just use my scanner.

YEEEEEEEEEEEHAAAAAAAAAAAAA! i like it :D , that will be my new desktop :D ! It just an awesome chicken! with the little legs and all, really nice! my compliments 2 to :)

was it complicated to make? i wanna give it a go as well ;)

--------------------
There are 400 words in the dictionary that begin with "self" and only 8 that begin with "fellow".

When in doubt. . . mumble.

When you are at school, you wish you where old enough to work.
When you are old enough to work, you wish you were at school.
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #72
CHICKENS RULE!

Maybe you could make an origami egg?

(its really nice, your a talent! :D )

--------------------
Thralni's almighty Avernum pages: My webpage, containing scenario's and graphics made by me (And maybe someday the homepage of the almighty chicken gods).

Olga's fortune teller kiosk has been temporarily closed down, but you can contact the prophet with a PM - Was signed by the prophet of the almighty chicken gods, gods of everything that is a chicken.

Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #73
ncfsh, you are a natural Spiderwebber from the start. ;) :P

--------------------
-ben4808

For those who love to spam:
CSM Forums
RIFQ
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #74
So we talked in this thread about Origami and knitting (and maybe some more things I forgot) but we forgot one very important thing. One thing I always enjoy doing, is mixing all kinds of dangerous stuff, and see what happens.

I have this small table with all kinds of accids, some powders (like sulfer) and other dangerous things (chicky, still remember that time we made that very stinking stuff and some of the acid dripped on my new pants?). I never saw something exloding, though... :(

--------------------

Pages