any chance of....

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: any chance of....
Infiltrator
Member # 5991
Profile Homepage #0
this question has proably been asked hundreds of times,but i didnt see it....is there any chance of a spiderweb game coming out that supports "online" play or a spidweb game u play online make an account that sorta thing

--------------------
Visit the RIFQ Forums
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #1
No.

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!
BANNED
Member # 5941
Profile Homepage #2
quote:
Originally written by Hellbringer195:

this question has proably been asked hundreds of times,but i didnt see it....is there any chance of a spiderweb game coming out that supports "online" play or a spidweb game u play online make an account that sorta thing
This will be possible only when SW Software will have more than 1 programmer, 1 musician, 1 graph. artist, 1 designer in one person.
BANNED
Member # 5941
Profile Homepage #3
But it's interesting question born:
Will anybody play in a MMORPG based on an SW world? If yes, which game you prefer? And how frequent you plan to play?
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #4
There are only two SW worlds, really - Terrestria (Geneforge) and Ermarian (Avernum/Exile). Nethergate is set in real-world (mythical) Britain.
Since I'm more familiar with Ermarian, I'd prefer Avernum or Exile most. And discounting that I have better things to do than rotting my brain in MMORPGs right now, I'd probably be a permanent fixture in any free Ermarian MMORPG, and would at least somewhat consider a paid one (though not really, no).
But this is all theoretical, since Jeff has neither the time to code it, nor as I suspect the inclination to let someone else do so.

--------------------
The Encyclopaedia Ermariana <-- Now a Wiki!
"Polaris leers down from the black vault, winking hideously like an insane watching eye which strives to convey some strange message, yet recalls nothing save that it once had a message to convey." --- HP Lovecraft.
"Really, Spiderweb is just a big, steaming pool of estrogen." --- Robin
Guardian
Member # 2238
Profile Homepage #5
To be honest, an online RPG (not MMO!) is actually feasible.

Jeff could easily make it a crappy direct IP connection, and we could hook up with say, four people and play a party together.

It wouldn't be persistent, and it would likely be very annoying, but it IS possible.

But, it won't happen.

--------------------
The critics agree!

Demonslayer is "a five star hit!" raves TIMES Weekly!

"I've never heard such thoughtful comments. This man is a genious!" says two-time Nobel Prize winning physicist Erwin Rasputin!
Posts: 1582 | Registered: Wednesday, November 13 2002 08:00
Infiltrator
Member # 2940
Profile Homepage #6
Unlikely. It is fun to think about it though. I would choose Ermaria, because of the factions, races and creatures in it.

--------------------
"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work, I want to achieve it through not dying."
Mongolian Barbeque
Member # 1528
Profile #7
I hate multiplayer online games. I'm a Lone Gamer.

IMAGE(http://www.leconcombre.com/serials/comics/img3/lone-ranger-19.jpg)

--------------------
The A.E. van Vogt Information Site
My Tribute to the Greatest Writer of the Science Fiction Golden Age
Agent
Member # 3349
Profile Homepage #8
I 'gree Icshi. I rely on no one except myself. (and occasionally my cat)

--------------------
And everybody say....Yatta!
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #9
quote:
Originally written by Itsuart, the altered:

This will be possible only when SW Software will have more than 1 programmer, 1 musician, 1 graph. artist, 1 designer in one person.
That would be a step closer. Currently Spiderweb has a combination programmer and designer in one person, with some possible programming and design input from two others. The graphics and sound are all done by others freelance. There hasn't been any music since E2 unless you count the splash screen music, which has actually been very good.

—Alorael, who wouldn't mind knowing who's responsible for Nethergate and A2. They have very nice intros.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #10
A2 has my favorite intro music. A3 isn't bad, but that melancholy sound is just stunning. I wouldn't mind knowing where it came from, especially if the composer has more of it.

--------------------
The Encyclopaedia Ermariana <-- Now a Wiki!
"Polaris leers down from the black vault, winking hideously like an insane watching eye which strives to convey some strange message, yet recalls nothing save that it once had a message to convey." --- HP Lovecraft.
"Really, Spiderweb is just a big, steaming pool of estrogen." --- Robin
Shaper
Member # 3442
Profile Homepage #11
I prefer A1's intro music to A2. I don't like GF's at all though. The best is probably A1. That, and the look on the lady's face as she cradles the flower is a very powerful thing, in my opinion.

As far Multiplayer Avernum... Nah. I'd not play it even if it did come out. I have to do things my way. And others probably wouldn't like that...

[ Thursday, August 18, 2005 04:08: Message edited by: SupaNik ]

--------------------
Everybody knows, but nobody understands.

Thus endeth this post.
Mongolian Barbeque
Member # 1528
Profile #12
I love the startup music to Avernum 3, Geneforge, and Geneforge 3. I once wasted a long afternoon trying to create soundclips in a format playable by Quicktime by digging around in the data files with ResEdit and/or ResFool. No luck. Phooey.

--------------------
Nuke and Pave
Member # 24
Profile Homepage #13
quote:
Originally written by Icshi:

I love the startup music to Avernum 3, Geneforge, and Geneforge 3. I once wasted a long afternoon trying to create soundclips in a format playable by Quicktime by digging around in the data files with ResEdit and/or ResFool. No luck. Phooey.
Have you tried just using Sound Recorder (or whatever the equivalent utility is called on a Mac) to record the intro while it was playing? (Play with settings to make it record the sound going to speakers, rather than the sound coming from mike.) Or maybe it was Real Jukebox. I don't remember what recording program I used for similar purpose.

As for Exile/Avernum MMORPG, I am not a big fan of MMORRPGs in general, so I am not sure I'd play it even if somebody was insane enough to make it.

[ Thursday, August 18, 2005 10:28: Message edited by: Zeviz ]

--------------------
Be careful with a word, as you would with a sword,
For it too has the power to kill.
However well placed word, unlike a well placed sword,
Can also have the power to heal.
Agent
Member # 2210
Profile #14
Jeff would have to license the game for it to become a MMORPG. If there was enough money given to him to use his game he might do it. But I don't think that would happen.

--------------------
Wasting your time and mine looking for a good laugh.

Star Bright, Star Light, Oh I Wish I May, I Wish Might, Wish For One Star Tonight.
Mongolian Barbeque
Member # 1528
Profile #15
quote:
Originally written by Zeviz:

Have you tried just using Sound Recorder to record the intro while it was playing? (Play with settings to make it record the sound going to speakers, rather than the sound coming from mike.)
Does anybody know if Ambrosia's WireTap Pro would do the job? I read somewhere that it can record any sound on your computer, but really don't know much about it.

--------------------
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #16
It would do and has done the job. Wiretap is just the kind of thing that is very nice to have and useful in the right circumstances, but not quite useful enough to me for purchase.

[Edit: Clarity!]

—Alorael, who tried with the Audio Hijack demo as well. Works great with A3 or later Spiderweb games, but doesn't do a thing with Classic applications.

[ Thursday, August 18, 2005 16:26: Message edited by: ArtNOW ArtWON ArtOWN ]
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00